View Full Version : having dsl while on home confinement

julie192
04-28-2006, 07:02 AM
The whole purpose of putting putting dsl was for that when my hubby was sent home for home confinement the phone line is free. Now they are saying if I do not take out dsl he cannot come home. I mean that ridiculus because oviously the dsl does not tied up the phone line. They want a bill stating that I only have call waiting. Has this happen to anyone?

User9999
04-28-2006, 07:18 AM
That does sound weird...Maybe they don't want him to have access tot he internet as is sometimes the case for those convicted of a sex or money/fraud related charges. I don't know what charges he has but that could be a possibility. They didn't specify a reason to for why they insisted on this?

Hope you get some answers and congrats on him coming home:D

Erin

Sincere_hunter
04-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm on home confinement also and I was told that the DSL will set off the monitoring box making it as if he's outside his range. I cut my DSL off and got it switched to cable DSL. They won't have a problem if you get your DSL switched through the cable company.

shanesfiancee
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm putting in a second line for the sole purpose of them contacting him. I operate a home business which is done online and I need my DSL. The US Probation and Parole Officer said that this will be fine.

Federal PO
04-28-2006, 07:28 PM
The DSL connection through your phone company, depending on the electronic monitor unit can spike the base unit and either set it off as a violation, register as an attempt to tamper, or actually fry the electronics of the unit. Assuming he doesn't have an internet prohibition, cable modems that don't interact with the phone jacks work just fine.

julie192
04-28-2006, 10:43 PM
They were drug related charges...I guess I will have to get it through the cable company cause I cant be w/o my internet:)