View Full Version : Today's Surcharge Column...

dmpdbd
04-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Jeff Gerritt does not have his by-line on this column, but that is even better because it shows the Free Press staff is behind it. I love the title! Here is the link.....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/OPINION01/604240310/1068/OPINION

deb
04-24-2006, 05:47 AM
The only thing they left out and which I wish they would have included is that most of the 35% would end up coming from the families and loved ones money that is sent in... JQ public won't get that piece of it if it isn't in black and white... I don't think most of them know about the high cost of calls we already pay for and I know they have no clue that we only can visit a limited amount of times per month... People freak when I tell them.. They assume we can visit every day if we choose and also assume we can go to the restroom... I'm rambling..

I AM glad they printed something though and that other staff worte this as it shows more than Jeff are "getting it..."

Deb

misshim138
04-24-2006, 05:55 AM
I agree Deb. They should include how much the collect calls run for us and the fact we can only visit on a limited basis. People don't understand anything that we go through -- unless it is in black or white or happens to them.

HOPE4FUTURE
04-24-2006, 06:29 AM
This is a good editorial but I think they didn't get quite specific enough about some issues to really get the publics attention. Most people with no loved one in the system doesn't really care about an inmate. Someone needs to get to their hearts in a response and tell how this is taking food out of their babies mouth. Also, make them really understand how this is going to cause riot-like situations from the stress making it more dangerous for the officers. It could be very unsanitary too.

mrsdragoness
04-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Now is our chance to answer the editorial with the rest of the facts!!

HOPE4FUTURE
04-24-2006, 07:34 AM
I agree with Mrs D. it's very important to follow up on this. They did the starters and now we have to run with it!

dmpdbd
04-24-2006, 10:30 AM
I too agree that it would have been nice if they had expanded the article more about who actually pays. I set forth all that stuff in my letter to the Appropriations Committee, of which I copied Gerritt, and lots more, but they raised some points I didn't get to include in my two page letter to Appropriations because it was getting so long and I only told Gerritt in my email. I also emailed a copy of this column to all the members of the House Appropriations Committee this morning. They are going to get pretty sick of hearing from me soon.

If anyone hasn't written them, please do so and follow up on this.

dmpdbd
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
P.S. to my last post......when we respond to this editorial or write the Appropriations Committee, please stick to the facts of the 35% surcharge and its repurcussions. As much as we have other issues and problems and would like them resolved, let's don't get side tracked. No offense intended Deb....I do the same thing very often.....it just snowballls.

Annette050305
04-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Good Article. It is very important to get the word out to others. Unfortunately the public does not really care about the phone and other items because they are not part of our situation of being caught in this system BUT........ the public does care about $$$ especially their $$$$. So lets educate them to what this is about. MDOC increasing store goods including hygine items and this increase creates more indigients inturn the state pays even more to house inmates. And guess what ....their (tax payers)money get turned around and given to the State Troopers Retirement Fund. I think there is a few people that might be upset about this.

mrssunnyb
05-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Nice Article - I Think Its Another Way For The State To Try To Get More Money.

Lets All Hope This Is Shot Down. They Are Already Paying Enough - Their Locked Up - Right.