View Full Version : Engaging in a pattern of corrupt activities

mizzunderstood
04-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm looking for anyone with any knowledge on this kind of charge. My boyfriend was convicted of this and B&E and was sentenced to 15 years. This is a very very harsh sentence. We put in for an appeal. My question is what exactly is grounds to charge and convict someone of "engaging in corrupt activites"? I was just reading over the Ohio Revised Code for it and I just do not see any connection to what they say he did having anything to do with it. I just do not get how they figured he was part of an "enterprise" or any organized crime. It makes NO sense, especially now that I've actually read what they specifically define as engaging in corrupt activity. Anyone have any insight?

laChoola
04-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Were there other people he was working with? Has he a record of other criminal activities - forming a "pattern"? Maybe that's just a "blanket" charge they use to "get people" when they don't have enough other valid stuff. Sometimes that's good, if you've got a real criminal and he's too slick and you can't get him on a specific thing. But I think sometimes they just do it to be mean; to increase the charges.

I wouldn't want my house Broken into and Entered, but I agree - 15 years seems harsh.

mizzunderstood
04-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Well the guy that they originally caught, confessed to everything and picked my man as his only accomplice (after the cops name dropped a few people, which we later found out), to get a deal, and blamed him for everything. So, for some reason they considered 2 guys breaking into dive bars at 4am to steal cash, "organized crime"?! Granted Steve did have a prior theft charge 10 years ago, but I still don't think that should be grounds for this charge because it had nothing to do with what he got convicted of this time (no pattern?). Also the other guy didn't get charged with this! Plus he only got 4 years, while Steve got 15 and he's innocent!