View Full Version : County Jails holding "backlogged" CDOC inmates

GinsKris
04-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone else here,has a loved one, who is unfortuntate enough, to be "backlogged" in CDOC and shipped out to a privately contracted county jail and what their loved one's experience has been at that facility? I guess, because there is such little info on all the county jails around CO, I though it might help us all out. My guy was shipped out to Park County Jail from CJC in the Springs, after being "retried/resentenced" on his appeal, and is awaiting transfer to DRDC. Of course, due to"backlog", he may be waiting for another 6 weeks at PCJ. FYI: Park County Jail is a decent place however, like ususal between collect calls (25.oo for a 20 min call) and the canteen, its very expensive. He said the food was really good, the best he has had in the past 4 years since being in CDOC. THe only way to get money on their books there at PCJ is to mail a money order. Anything you write or they write to you is fully read and gone thru.. They do get mail Monday-Saturday. Visiting is through the glass window, no contact. He said the deputies and staff were pretty cool and responsive to inmates inqueries etc. (CJC wasn't so hot about any of that). Well, hope this helps someone. Anyone else have someone there? or feel like sharing?

galgrif
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, I am familiar with Park County, our family used to own property up there before they grew so large. (wish we still did, it would be worth a mint now). Inmates are being held in facilities that charge the least. When my kid was sentenced park was an option, but they sent him to Wash. Co instead, and that is exactly what he said, its a heck of a lot better than the jails they were in. However. they are in relativly small jails and they dont do the latest technology. I am sure that he is right, money will only be accepted thru money order. As far as the costs, anything you haul up that mountain will cost you an arm and a leg. REALLY. Yes, they have nothing better to do than read your mail. It is temporary, I assume he knows where he is headed, tell him, Fairplay CO is one of the most beautiful places in the state ( my opinion, again lol) and to relax and enjoy it.
I love the area. Best wishes to ya all.

Retired - S
04-20-2006, 10:43 AM
My husband was in Park county for awhile too, but when he was there he was awaiting to go to boot camp in Buena Vista, which is who they also hold there. My BIL also went there to await to go to DRDC too....both have said that is the best place to eat...They feed them really well there. As for the calls, I don't remember it's been awhile since he's been there...the drive up there I have to agree...is beautiful!!

GinsKris
04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback galgrif and Salena. I remember the area up near Fairplay being soo pretty and the drive up there as well..I miss back when I was living in Colorado, especially now with my sweetie there:( P.S...Salena your boys are precious!

GinsKris

Retired - S
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM

T&O
04-27-2006, 08:02 PM
My husband got transferred to Park County yesterday after being in Arapahoe County for 4 months. He hates it.

He did say the food is a lot better though.

He's a Christian man and he hasn't found any other Christians to talk to. He said he's a fish out of water in a strange land for sure.

I guess all I can do right now is pray for his well-being and that he finds another brother in Christ there.

galgrif
04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Hopefully he won't be there long and someone will come along that he can relate too. It's tough, hang in there and keep the faith.

All the best to you both.

GinsKris
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
T&O-PM me if you would like..I know what your husband is talking about my boyfriend has said the same thing. I wonder if they might be in different units though my boyfriend said they just recieved a few new inmates the other day..I hope it gets better for him. I am just counting the days until he gets to DRDC then to his perm facility so I can go see him.

T&O
04-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I sent you a PM. :)

GinsKris
05-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I replied to your Pm twice: the first was a boo-boo the second I hope you got..Let me know if you are needing any more info etc

Krista