View Full Version : 26 points and counting down

satguy
07-14-2003, 01:31 AM
I signed guilty to 26 points with a 5k1 downward departure of 3 points, 2 points for cooperation. That puts me at 21 points and a catagory III. Two drug felonies in 1990 (state) are what puts me in III. My cooperation level was tremendous and I have no violent past, just drugs. I have read about the 500 hour drug class, which takes away 12 months. Is that a program that is guaranteed to be offered? Is it available everywhere? I am hoping for a further point reduction as a result of my PSI and testimony at the sentencing. I am also wondering about the PSI, do letters from community leaders do much good? I am not wanting to miss any opportunities to help myself, are there any other suggestions of ways to help? I have had my initial interview, and am to bring back in 8 days the financial statement and medical records. I have some medical problems that are handled mostly through meds, does that matter? I have to wear boots for ankle support and have tingling in feet and hands. Any answers or suggestions will be much appreciated. I am hoping for a minimum (camp), but after reading everything here, I am wondering if that is just wishful thinking. Are there any outside resources legally that could be of help to me besides my seemingly lame lawyer. I think he has lied to me about the amount of Federal experience he has! As far as for today, I have gotten this offer all on my own and he has not negotiated anything for me. Does the 5k1 usually get exceeded from the initially agreed level I have of 2 or 3? I feel that the 5k1 is my only hope of a point reduction, do many people get the 5k1, or am I lucky to get it? Sorry I am full of questions, not to mention nearly scared to death. I can and will do it, leaving my 2 beautiful children 5yrs and 8yrs old are what is going to hurt the most, not to mention my wife of 14 years and 20 years of being together. I am also wondering where I can find out what types of opportunities I will have while inside, such as education (college classes by mail) or other things I can do to not just waste my time and come out no farther along in life than I am now. Any and all replys appreciated.

deb
07-14-2003, 08:42 AM
Welcome to PTO! I don't know the answers to your question, but I know those who have been in the federal system or have a loved one in there will know.... Hopefully they will come alone soon and answer your questions....

Deb

jcbw4
07-18-2003, 06:39 PM
I just wanted to tell you that I've been there recently. My husband was sentenced to federal prison for 85 months. He had a level of 27. He is also leaving behind me and our 10 yrs old son. All of your questions depend on the judge. He has all the power. I will pray for you and your family.

satguy
07-19-2003, 01:24 AM
Thank you for the kind words. I was hoping to get a bit of info if anyone could provide any other insight, I would much appreciate it.