View Full Version : Has anyone had a mississippi prison wedding

praying_pixie
04-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Has anyone had a mdoc wedding or know anything about the process, what they do and do not allow.... any info?

PTO-29412
04-13-2006, 01:05 AM
I do not know much info on prison weddings in Mississippi. However, I hope someone will be along soon with information for you.

I-Care
04-13-2006, 07:21 AM
I feel SURE someone will know and answer you on this..Sorry that I don't know..
"I-Care"

Mrs.Glamma
04-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Brandie, hi and welcome.

I am looking for the same information. This is what I was able to find so far.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=40766 (showthread.php?s=&threadid=40766)

Basically, it is up to Aaron to talk to the caseworker and chaplain when he gets to his "permanent" facility.

As I learn more, I will share.

Good luck
DAM

praying_pixie
04-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks so much.... this whole ordeal is stressful enough, Im kinda glad he has to do everything heehee cause if i have to make one more phone call to one more person to find out info for him i think my head will pop off haha.
I am so glad i found this site cause I have felt so alone

Mrs.Glamma
04-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Hello, got a note from my guy today. He has not gotten to talk with the chaplain yet but he has "heard" that the ceremonies are performed in April and November. He has "heard" that a couple of months prior to April or November, they announce that applications will be taken. Each of us would get a "packet" to fill out, investigation is done, and approved or not. Will keep you posted. He's planning our wedding "banquet" LOL (his favorite vending machine foods. LOL You see what is important??? :rolleyes:

praying_pixie
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Ha! Ha! That is funny, april and nov, well i bet we both have nov weddings unless it takes them forever to approve stuff. My guy just went to processing today so here is to two weeks up to 45 days of no contact, kinda sux but on the brite side, we can finally have contact visits when he gets there. Where is your guy?

praying_pixie
04-23-2006, 10:00 AM
aaron got moved to the county farm so Im not sure ill get that wonderful mdoc wedd lol! He is gonna check and see if we can get married there but I don't think we can. I got my first contact visit with him today!!! I haven't hugged or kissed him in months. He put my engagement ring on my finger so Im all gitty. We did have some serious issues last week but I think that we are gonna make it just fine.

Mrs.Glamma
04-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Brandi, glad you got to visit and all. That is great that you got to visit so soon. I hope all goes well for both of you. Good luck on the wedding approval.:thumbsup:

Since this sub-forum is for MDOC information, we are looking forward to your joining us in the Hospitality Lounge in future posts to let us know how things are with you or if you just need a pick me up. :)

Take care,
DAM

b&w2003
06-30-2006, 06:39 PM
i got married at parchman 12/19/2002 with 5 other couples in there also getting married. when every one gets married you go home alone . but i know in parchman after you are married you put in for a visit at the family house they had it when we got married so i guess they still do

PTO-29412
07-04-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks so much for the info B&W2003!

Timbo's helper
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I remarried my ex-husband in November 2005. He is in a regional facility. He talked to his case manager and the chaplain. The chaplain gave him an application. There are sections for both of you to fill out. Then it has to go through MDOC to be approved. Once it is approved, you are required to go to premarital counseling with the chaplain. After that, it is just a matter of getting the blood test and marriage license. The chaplain will let you know when the ceremony will take place. I was allowed to take food so we could eat together after the ceremony. There were 7 other couples that were married at the same time. It may be different for different facilities. We weren't allowed any time alone afterward but being married now is great. Good luck to you!

Mrs.Glamma
08-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks Timbo's

Congratulations on your marriage. Glad it is all working out well for you. When did your ceremonty take place?

Thanks for the information. State and Regional appear to be somewhat different although the main process is same. We definitely cannot bring food.

For those who are dealing with State run facilities, SMCI in particular, the notice was posted on bulletin boards a couple of weeks ago directing those interested in obtaining an marriage application packet for the current approval period to write a letter to the chaplain to request the packet.

I will find out what the deadline for the letter is/was tomorrow night. I didn't think to ask yesterday.

DAM311

Timbo's helper
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
We were married on Nov. 15, 2005. The hardest part is being apart from each other. The time between visits seems a lot longer than it is especially when there are 5 Saturdays! But you know the saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." It does make the time we get to spend together more special. I hope you don't have to wait too long and it all goes well for you.

Mrs.Glamma
08-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Updated Information on SMCI marriage process:

The notice was posted early this time, mid-July. It is usually about August 1. The deadline for the guys to write to the Chaplain for permission to get married is August 15th, I believe.

This letter does not automatically get them the packet. This is actually the first step of many in the process. When the letter goes to the Chaplain, it is determined at that time if the guy is eligible to go forward with the application process. (RVR free etc) If the guys are approved, the case worker will then give them the application packet.

Some guys have already been sent denial letters. We are still waiting. One of the assistants in the chaplains' office says that is a good sign SO FAR. I am SO trying not to get too excited.

As we go through this I will update for those following behind. I imagine it is about the same at the 3 state run facilities but if anyone has had a different experience from what I post at a state run facility, PLEASE pop in and let us know.

DAM311

darnellkim
10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Hello, I recently got married in May of this year,at a regional facility, Winston county, and it was a long process, I feel mainly because he got moved in the middle of the process. We got his pastor to marry us it was ALOT better! I feel, more personal!Between the case manager, and the chaplin, they take their time, that's why we got our own pastor, 2 speed up the process a little! I had to let them know that I was from out of town, and had a job 2 get back 2! I stayed in MS 4 2 1/2 weeks before Igot married! Need ANY info let me know!