View Full Version : Envelope decoration?

rhero
04-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Do any of you decorate the outside (back side) of your envelopes when you send letters?

I sometimes draw a little animal (I learned from the "I Can Draw" books made for little kids). A dog or a turtle or something. Doesn't really matter what, I just pick something so each letter he gets is "different".

I really don't have a lot to say every other day but I want to talk to him so I write. Then when I have half a page of nothing but "went to the grocery store today and the price of sweet potatoes is 4 cents higher than last week", I draw something on the envelope.

robs_angel
04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
I do, and sometimes buy them like that, he loves them! I have never have had any problems with them getting in to him.

Jomali
04-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I am not an artist, so I will print cute stuff from the internet and put them on his envelopes. He always draws on my envelopes, I love it to. Makes my day to see a cute letter from him.

MandyMeMe
04-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes i write all the way around the back of the envelope, and i put cute little sayings. But most of all i love the beautiful pics he draws on my envelopes he send to me. Just beautiful! I write little things in spanish and english on the back. He loves it. But one place he was at they took the letters out of the envelopes so i stopped putting cute stuff on them. I need to start back again-he was moved a week or so ago.

Ronnie'sHoney
04-08-2006, 08:39 PM
I can't draw so I just write I love you, I miss you or your loved, your missed.. and I seal the letters with a kiss.

Daveswife
04-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I have to put mine through the printer for that. I can't draw worth a darn!

mggwife
04-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Then when I have half a page of nothing but "went to the grocery store today and the price of sweet potatoes is 4 cents higher than last week", I draw something on the envelope.[/quote]

Now this made me laugh! Sometimes I find myself with nothing to say except "Went to work, saved alot with coupons,..."

I decorate envelopes or print stuff on them like our photos.

LeBeau
04-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a collection of rubber stamps and inkpads for decorating the envelopes

petnanny
04-09-2006, 08:43 AM
yes, i always put two smiley faces next to my return address, and on the back, i always put an animal sticker (cat or dog), then i apply several lipsticks kisses with S.W.A.K. written on the back of the envelope. before i mail it, i spray it with his favorite perfume.

lovely541
04-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Sure do, but my drawings are little hearts and such but none compare to the beautiful things he puts on our letters. I just love it hes been so creative this time around, I can see the change.

Daveswife
04-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I have a collection of rubber stamps and inkpads for decorating the envelopes

I never thought of that. What a great idea!!!!

Daveswife
04-09-2006, 07:17 PM
yes, i always put two smiley faces next to my return address, and on the back, i always put an animal sticker (cat or dog), then i apply several lipsticks kisses with S.W.A.K. written on the back of the envelope. before i mail it, i spray it with his favorite perfume.

Virginia doesn't allow the stickers or the lipstick. :rolleyes:

TheGeneralsWife
04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Cali doesn't allow lipstick or stickers either so I write messages or I print something on them. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. I am also breaking out the rubber stamps as well, since that was a great idea.

LeBeau
04-13-2006, 07:20 AM
For those who like the rubberstamp idea, Michael's almost always has a bin of assorted stamps for a dollar, apart from the amazingly cool variety in their scrapbooking section, and Costco often stocks a "Scrapbooking Starter Kit" that has 50 different stamps included.

TheGeneralsWife
04-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I just hit up the Michaeal's Dollar bin and found a whole bunch of cool holiday ones to use for Easter and Halloween. They are kind of open faced so my daughter can color inside them and really help decorate the envelope.

Daveswife
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
For those who like the rubberstamp idea, Michael's almost always has a bin of assorted stamps for a dollar, apart from the amazingly cool variety in their scrapbooking section, and Costco often stocks a "Scrapbooking Starter Kit" that has 50 different stamps included.

Coooool!!!! Thanks so much for that tip.

HiddenHalo
04-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I found some really cute rubberstamps at Target! They have the dollar isle thingy in the front of the store. Found lots of cute ones and some with like a small happy and sad face... perfect for usage during your writing to throw in there!

misssusiequsie
04-17-2006, 11:20 AM
I used to go all out and decorate the oustide of the envelope. One time he even said "The hearts you drew with your highlighters from work were cute" and that made me laugh cause how did he know they were from work. Anyhow I don't do it anymore because he throws the envelopes away and puts all of the letters in a big manilla envelope.

chainsonmyheart
10-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh Michael's letters are usually COVERED in a bunch of colored pens with little words, we have an inside joke about our little box that we need to get into and mail the other person back to us...so we have our little box on every envelope and at least once in every letter....one time I used colored pens, highlighters and went nuts on the back of the envelope and one of the CO's laughed at me when I came in the next time for visitation, He was like seriously Mrs W___ How long did you spend on the envelope alone?!

sisnik
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Yea I usually write and draw things on the envelope. Doesn't compare to the pics he draws for me though. I had no idea that he could draw until now. He is fabulously artistic!!s

KathleenTX
11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I "capture" pictures from the Internet and print them on the envelopes using Word. Right now I have been doing things from books he likes. I am getting ready to do Thanksgiving ones with turkeys and such. I have even done some Dallas Cowboy ones.

He always asks how I do them. I have even scanned things he has sent my daughter and put them on the envelopes.

DVNESSA68
11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
I let my youngest draw smiley faces on the back of each envelope and then she writes either "smile" or "laugh daily" and I write "missing you", "I miss you" or "miss you more"

JokersGirl79
11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I've made envelopes out of construction paper and scrapbook paper. It's much cheaper than buying a box of colored envelopes or ones with designs already on them. Sometimes Michael's has scrapbook paper for 50 cents (with holiday designs or patterns)! You just take a regular envelope apart and trace it, cut it out, & glue it together. My man thought that was so creative and appreciated the time I took to do it (even though it was only 5 minutes, lol).

LadyBabyJoker
11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I suck at art so I just rubberstamp them or write all over them. We have a joke that our calls are our wifey time and my letters are his personal ~*~Wifey Mail~*~ so I label every envelope with that, add cute quotes, and lots of hearts and kiss marks and i love yous and i miss yous!!

I decorate the letter itself with cute lovey pictures and pretty paper. But I might havef to use some of your ideas b/c they seem SOO cute and I love them!

ST0RM
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Sometimes when I'm extremely bored, I get a box of crayola's and color all over the envelope- kind of like shading- I color the front and back, and they get to him with out any issues. When he gets those kinds of envelopes, he knows that something has been on my mind.

chainsonmyheart
11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
just for example heres the letter i mailed to him Monday....the back of the envelope ......hehehe i dunno what he thought of it yet...

divinechaos
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
My old man is locked up in Cali. I am concerned about them not accepting my mail to him if I have drawn on the back? Can I put color on it as well? I am sooo paranoid about them not giving him his mail. It almost makes paranoid. Thanks guys.

chainsonmyheart
11-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't know about Cali rules and regs, check in the california forum about it, those ladies over there will know, I honestly don't see a problem with it but all depends on how they want to look at it, I know plenty of these ladies have done decorations and wordings and colorings on the envelopes for their man...you can always call the facility he is at and ask them about their rules and regulations

DVNESSA68
11-04-2009, 06:34 AM
just for example heres the letter i mailed to him Monday....the back of the envelope ......hehehe i dunno what he thought of it yet...

VERY CREATIVE... I LIKE :thumbsup:

sisnik
11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

That is too cute. Well I have a funny story to tell. My baby got mail one day and he knows my letters because of the envelopes. Well he looked at it and saw nothing on the envelope and didn't receive it. At first I was like what if that was mine but he said "I knew it wasn't yours because it didn't say or have......... on it" That made me feel so good and reassured me that he pays attention to me.

Frankie'sBrat
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi my man is at Calipatria and I wanted to put a kiss mark on his envelope the other day but I was scared too. Can I do that? I know he would love it.

chainsonmyheart
11-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I've heard of several prisons not allowing it because its considered a "forgien" substance on the letter...but yet I can send letters with kisses and my Ed Hardy perfume sprayed all over it and they haven't said a word yet...only comment was from one of the CO's asking me what it was because he wanted to get it for his wife...lol I've went as far as even writing every line on the envelope a diffrent color, coloring it in with diffrent color highlighters, i mean i went completely NUTSO on that one and he got it the day of visitation and brought it with him and was like uh baby, were you bored? I was like nope missed you and got "creative"

supermommy31
11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
i havnt done that but my hubby does and they look soo cute :D

his-sweet-kiss
12-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I Can't draw very well so I just seal with a kiss. However, he does draw on mine, and it really makes my day.