View Full Version : Can anyone help?

Amelia
03-01-2002, 09:59 AM
I am looking for some information on the Texas prison system. My husband has a two year sentence first prison then state jail, where he MUST complete the two years. I am terrified for him. I hve heard so many horror stories ( sexual especially) and wonder if anyone can tell me how things run on the inside.What his best bet is to survive...keeping in mind that he doesn't want to "run " with anyone..he says he just wants to do his time and come home to our 5 children...I am so afraid he will come out more "damaged" then when he went in. He is a pretty big guy(5'11" 220) but he is not a violent guy..he is going for Felony theft and revocation of probation..Thank you! God Bless! :(

Budwoman
03-01-2002, 10:27 AM
You have asked a very important question. Always remember, there really are some good people in prison. The really bad ones are in Maximum. If he is in Medium Custody or lower things are not too bad. Most of the people there are decent and have the same problems your husband will have.

He needs to stay to himself at first and scope the situation. He can read people. See who the good ones are and stay away from the bad. My son has been in 12 years in the State of NC and has been able to handle this pretty well. Of course he is a big man and just his size and the fact he is very strong (ie. he works out daily) has helped. He has had a couple of confrontations but nothing major and the ones he has had have been handled peacefully.

I wish him and you luck and keep the faith. Things will work out.

Donna

Amelia
03-01-2002, 11:34 AM
thank you soo much for your positive words..i will keep your son in my prayers:)

WorriedOne
04-17-2002, 02:23 PM
Can you tell me something about the NC prisons? I'm afraid that I will be going into one soon, and I think it'll be a medium security prison. I'm very frightened that I'll be beaten and/or raped. I'm basically a little white guy. Has your son told you that this is frequent, or infrequent? You mentioned that he's big. I guess that's good, and I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm very afraid there's gonna be violence.

I keep reading about gangs that gang up on the little white guy, but I haven't read anything about NC prisons. Any insight you could give would really help me, or at least prepare me for what I have in store.

Thanks

Budwoman
04-17-2002, 03:24 PM
:p :p :p

WORRIED ONE:

THE NC MEDIUM CUSTODY PRISONS ARE NOT TOO BAD. THERE ARE 4 DIFFERENT GRADES OF UNITS HERE. MAXIMUM CUSTODY (MURDERERS VIOLENT CRIMES) CLOSE CUSTODY(THE SAME BUT HAVE WORKED WAY UP) MEDIUM CUSTODY (WORKED EVEN HARDER UP) AND MINIMUM CUSTODY (WORK RELEASE AND READMITANCE TO SOCIETY)

THE MEDIUM CUSTODY PRISON IS WHERE MY SON IS IN LINCLONTON, NORTH CAROLINA. HE HAS BEEN ALL OVER THE STATE AND I HAVE VISITED EACH AND EVERY ONE. MOST OF THE INMATES IN MEDIUM AND PRETTY CALM. THERE IS A FIGHT ON OCCASION BUT NOT TOO OFTEN.... YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A BIG MAN TO BE ABLE TO HOLD YOUR OWN. YOU ONLY HAVE TO GAIN THE RESPECT OF THE GENERAL POPULATION. MOST OF THE GUYS THERE ARE JUST LIKE YOU, MADE A MISTAKE AND ARE PAYING FOR IT. THEY ARE NOT THE MEAN, CRUEL, DEVILISH PEOPLE THAT YOU HEAR ABOUT ALL THE TIME.

I HAVE MET MANY FAMILIES OF THESE INMATES AND HAVE BECOME FRIENDS WITH MANY. I SEE THE HURT AND CONFUSION IN THEIR EYES. I WATCH THEM VISIT THEIR SONS, HUSBANDS AND FATHERS. I SEE THE SAME TYPE PEOPLE THAT I AM----REGULAR HUMAN BEINGS WHO HAVE HAD A HORRIBLE THING HAPPEN IN THEIR LIVE.

THERE ARE SOME OPPORTUNITES IN THE MEDIUM CUSTODY PRISON FOR SCHOOLING ETC. SEE YOUR UNIT CASE WORKER WHEN YOU ARRIVE AND ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT THAT UNIT HAS TO OFFER. LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU GO AND I WILL LOOK UP INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET ABOUT THE UNIT SO YOU WILL HAVE A HEADS UP.

MY BEST WISHES
DONNA

WorriedOne
04-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Thank you for your kind words, and encouragement. It's the first good word I've heard from anyone. I don't know where or even IF I am going, but I know I have a good chance of it, and it's good to hear that there's a possiblity that I won't be beaten and raped. I wish you the best, and hope your son gets back on the outside again soon.

Amelia
04-18-2002, 04:20 PM
hey worried just wanted to tell ya I am prayin g for you!!

WorriedOne
05-07-2002, 01:06 PM
I have a couple of questions. And I'm hoping you can help me, since you have experience with NC prisons. Is the heart I have tattooed on my rear gonna cause me a lot of trouble, and should I get it covered up before I go in? and How do you pay your taxes in jail?

Thanks.

Worried One

danielle
05-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Here's a link with some general advice. You might find something that could help you.

http://www.wild-side.com/darksorrow/prison101.html

Budwoman
05-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Worried One

Sweetheart, you don't pay any taxes while in prison... You have no income so therefore, no taxes. If you own property on the outside, someone will have to pay your property taxes for you, but on Income Tax.

As far as the Tatoo goes, well I would not think that it would cause you a problem.... I have seen many, many tatoos in the system. Always remember to carry yourself proudly and you will have no problems.....

Good Luck!!! What unit are you going to, do you know yet?

Donna

WorriedOne
05-07-2002, 04:11 PM
Well, I don't even know still whether I'm going, but something tells me I am (The D.A.), but I'm praying I won't and the power of prayer is undeniable.

I appreciate all your help, and I'm sure I'll have more questions coming.

Thanks.

Goody's Girl
05-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Budwoman, I know they aren't supposed to pay taxes such as income tax, but they are (at least in Florida) taxes on their commissary items.

Budwoman
05-09-2002, 08:03 AM
WELL OF COURSE - ALWAYS SALES TAX- THAT WILL NEVER GO AWAY FOR ANYONE.... EACH STATE HAS A DIFFERENT RATE BUT IF YOU BUY AN ITEM, YOU WILL PAY THE STATE AND COUNTY SALES TAX...

OH WELL, THEY GONNA GET YOU ONE WAY OR ANOTHER

DONNA

marcus30
07-21-2003, 12:47 AM
I just wanna say to all and even to remind myself as I wait for my sentence date that ... they cant break me because they didnt make me.