View Full Version : Utah Prison Mail / Property & Commisary

California Sunshine
03-29-2006, 11:00 PM

How soon can I start sending an inmate letters?

Inmates can start receiving mail as soon as they come to Prison.

How do I address the envelope?

Inmate's Prison commitment name and
USP number
Housing unit
Utah State Prison
P.O. Box 250
Draper, UT 84020

Inmate's Prison commitment name and
USP number USP number
Housing unit Housing section
Utah State Prison CUCF
P.O. Box 250 P. O. Box 550
Draper, UT 84020 Gunnison, UT 84634

What happens when inmates move to a different housing unit?

The Prison mailroom locates where an inmate has moved and forwards the mail. This means the inmate may be delayed in getting the mail.

Can I send pictures in the mail?

Inmates are allowed to have 25 photos in their possession. These pictures cannot be larger than 8x10, Polaroid, or be pornographic in nature. Inmates may be required to send some of the pictures out if they have an excess of the regulated quantity.

Can inmates receive greeting cards?

Yes. However, multilayered cards are not allowed

Can I send an inmate a birthday or Christmas present through the mail?

No. Inmates are not allowed to receive packages in the mail unless prior authorization has been given. Authorization is usually for medical reasons.

How does an inmate buy books and magazines?

Books can only be purchased through the inmate Commissary. An Initial Book Request form will go from the inmates, through UCI Commissary, to the book vendor who will confirm price and availability for the inmates. The books will be directly shipped from the vendor to the Mail/Property Unit for inspection and distribution.
A family member/friend(s) may get a magazine subscription forthe inmate.

How can I send inmates money through the mail?.

Cashier checks and/or money orders can be sent through the mail to:

Utah State Prison
c/o Inmate Accounts
P.O. Box 250
Draper, UT

Central Utah Correctional Facility
c/o Inmate Accounts
P.O. Box 550
Gunnison, UT

Money order must contain the inmate's Prison commitment name and USP
number. The money instrument must also contain the complete name and address of the sender.

The money instrument must be in a separate envelope from other letters or correspondence and include the sender's complete name and address on the return, which must be the same on the cashier check or money order.

Personal checks and cash will not be accepted.

Inmates in County jails have a different address to send the cashier check and/or money order.

How can I drop off money for an inmate?

At Draper Site a cashier check or money order can be dropped off at a drop box located at the Prison's Property Unit.

Is there another way for an inmate to get money?

The Prison's expectation is that all capable inmates work. Inmates who work are compensated at a rate of at least forty cents per hour. Inmates get paid once a month and need to learn how to budget their money from month to month.

What happens to inmates who don't have money?

Inmates who don't have money are considered indigent. The Prison provides the inmate's basic needs of food, clothing, personal hygiene items and mail privileges. The only need for additional money is to purchase limited amenities and commissary.

What is commissary?

Commissary is a system through which inmates may purchase additional convenience items that they may be allowed to have. These items include personal hygiene items (different brands of shampoo, soap, etc.), writing materials and food items (candy bars, cookies, crackers, etc.). Inmates are also allowed to order approved clothing and hobby craft items. Inmates can order commissary items once a week.

What if inmates cannot order what they want in Commissary?

If the item is not in the commissary, inmates cannot have it. Items available in commissary are the only items allowed on the inmate's property matrix. The Prison provides all necessary items for an inmate who is incarcerated.

What is the inmate property matrix?

The property matrix is a list of type and quantity of items that inmates can have in their possession.
When officers find inmates who have an excess of an item such as photographs or hobby craft items, the inmates will be required to send them out.

How do I pick up an inmate's property?

The inmate must first designate that you can pick up their property. To receive information or to inquire about the availability of an inmate's property please call 5767951 or 5767952.

TheProperty Unit's hours are:

Sunday 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Holidays