View Full Version : Parole Process

tinatex
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi has anyone ever gone through the parole process and survived...lol

Hubby just had a meet and greet with a parole lady who gave him some paperwork to fill out for an interview in 2 weeks. He goes before the board 5/15. I have a couple of questions regarding parole stuff. Do I need to get a landline in my name for him to come home. My Mom lives in an "in-law" apt in our home and she has one. Its not a seperate apt she just has basically has one whole floor to herself but my home is considered a one family. Also 2 yrs ago I had to get a short lived (less than 6 mths)restraining order on hubby because of his addiction and he had not yet been diagnosed bi polar so things were very crazy. In the last 2 years we had worked out our issues and he was sober and on Meds for his disorder before he got sentenced. Please tell me this is not going to hurt us. The kids and I want him home so badly its unbearable!

shiva65
03-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi Tina,
I am not an expert.. in the parole process and the reading up on it .. does not (from what i look at) does not really answer your questions.. One is you may want to call the parole office and ask these questions.. Two.. have your husband ask? or run this by them.. Three..I would start gathering all supportive information possible so when you are interviewed you can show/prove that you both have / own a home.. i dont think a landline is goin to "mean" yay or nay.. if you want use your moms.. start proving that you and hubby sought tx and help/ ie: counseling , start getting letters from your local church supporting you two, an dyour children get letters from counselors and therapists on how important it is to have your husband in the home.......prove you have both worked on the "issues">> what they are looking for is "stability" in the home... no drugs/alcohol.. set your husband up w/ na in the area.. prove this .. by having a list of mtgs.. in the area your husband can attend.. right in peabody and lynn! if he has a job lined up prove that..
if there are community members who know you as a family have them write letters also...

I will try to find more info for you.. good luck

Donna
PS.. GOOD FOR YOU YIPEE PAROLE SOUNDS WONDERFULL

Snpetitedd
04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I have a parole question, do they talk to the landlord before allowing someone to live in an apartment? i was in one of the other forum's and they were talking about how the PO's talk to the land lord to make sure it's ok for a parolee to live in that building if that happens here my landlord will sh*t a brick! I'm just wondring if any of you have had an experiance like that?

thanks!

Isabel Solidad
04-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Ooo, crud, that's a good question about landlords (and bricks, ack!). I've often wondered about that myself. The family that owns our apartment lives downstairs, and i confess I had to make up a lil fib to explain his sudden disappearance last summer. (From my point of view, the whole subject is on a "need-to-know" basis, otherwise I tell people he's on an extended visit w/ family in Portugal, hahaha) I don't want to be inconsiderate of them, of course, but I also don't want to get in trouble. Mehh.

Snpetitedd
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I hear ya on that. My land lord is a total Jack A** seriously he makes my life a nightmare for no reason I think it has to do with the fact that I live in a rather "well to do" neighbor hood and i'm a single mother I think he hates that i'm a single mother because he expected that my "family" would be moving in and realized later that my "family" was me and mike, adding an inmate to the list is so not gona help the situation. You would think giving the jackA** $1000.00 a month would shut him up wouldn't you? LOL guess money can't by everything ;) Let me know if you find out anything, i think your man is getting out before my man so if nothing else maybe you can lead me into it ;)

tinatex
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
OMG as if the whole process doesn't stress you out enough, that's what you need and ignorant landlord! I will give you guys an update on my own personal hell. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So he saw the pre interview parole lady. She is the one that collects all the letters of support that he has gotten and is supposed to look over all the paperwork he has filled out to see the parole board, including the essay he had to write. This jerk (i am trying to be a lady here) has apparently already decided my hubby's fate before she has even spoken to him!!!!!:angry: She NEVER read the letters, paperwork or so much as looked at the certificates he has gotten while in there and says to him "Sure I will recommend you for parole AFTER you complete the C.R.A.( Criminal Recovery Academy) program. The stupid program doesn't even start until 4/24 and it is 10 mths long!!!!! Then she tells him that she thinks he should serve more of his sentence. Well I am sorry but if the JUDGE thought that he would have given him a higher bottom number on his sentence. He has been a model prisoner and had NO tickets. Nothing not even one! So he asks if he will still have another shot for parole when he goes in front of the board and she says that they always go with what she recommends. How can she make a recommendation without looking at everything. GOD I HATE THIS SYSTEM!!!!!!

Meanwhile, I visit, I love him and make sure that he knows that he is important to our family. Not much else I can do for now.:cry:

Snpetitedd
05-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Awww i'm so sorry hun. this whole process does suck :( I hope the don't take her advice. let us know how it turns out.

Jae&Live77
06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, anyone reading this i know for a fact that parole dosen't need to actually talk to the landlord. They don't have to be on the lease. They can be complete assholes when and whea they want to and to whom they want to. You have to learn to play the game. Manipulate them before they try to manipulate you. Tell them what they want to hear. The fact they think the're the boss when in fact we know the're not! They want to be in complete control just like the C. O's on the inside of the wall or where eva your man, family is. Just listen and yes them to death. Don't voulunteer any unneeded info...just enough to get by. The worst thing about all this parole thing is the ones that comply all the time are the ones that really get the short end of the stick..the ones that are complete pains in the asses they let out only to repeat right away...stick it out be the strong one and don't eva give up...

Snpetitedd
06-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Wow Jae,

Thanks for the info :) I love your attitude toward the po's but man i'm so not that girl... I should be, it would make things alot easier in my life LOL but I'm gona do my best to follow what you say because that's what my man always says too. Thanks for the info :)

queenxbabygurl
07-09-2006, 11:57 PM
im new to this

my fiance goes up for parole anytime now. But no one can tell me where to send all these letters and what not for parole. Does anyone know the address for the Parole Board? Someone told him he is going to see parole in the jail but that doesnt sound right. Right now he is in MCI Concord and hopefully will be transferred to Gardner Min. if he doesnt get parole. But yeah I got no clue what Im doing

So could someone mail me or IM me or something?

Thanks

Isabel Solidad
07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I PM'd this to you, Queenie, but here's the link for the parole board on mass.gov. There's also a listing of the members of the parole board; I'd make lots of copies of your packet & send a copy to everyone you can.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Law+Enforcement+%26+Criminal+Justice&L2=Parole&L3=Parole+Board&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=pb_parole&csid=Eeops

(picture them all at the water cooler: "Hey, i just got a nice parole letter for Queen's fiance, did you get that?" "Oh, hey, yeah, i did, and so did Bob down the hall." "Oh, I got one of those too. Maybe should, like, pay attention."

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but this is the kinda stuff that goes on in my head. Anyways, it's common knowledge that they pretty much decide your fate ahead of time, so it's good to inundate them from the get-go)

emmjay
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Isabel,
do you have any idea, or is there a way to find out, just where the individual board members are within their 5-yr terms? I know there's been a lot of controversy regarding the heavy law enforcement backgrounds of the majority of the parole board members influencing their pre-determined, unfair decisions, and how various organizations are calling for replacements with human services/social services backgrounds, which would be terrific for all of us.

Isabel Solidad
07-10-2006, 11:03 AM
from the mass.gov site:

"The mission of the Parole Board is to make timely release decisions that include input from many sources including victims, law enforcement, District Attorneys, correctional staff, treatment providers and the public. Based on a particular offender’s deficiencies, the Board sets conditions that are intended to safely and effectively guide the offender from a prison environment to the community as a productive, law-abiding citizen. The Board may modify these conditions at any time, based on the changing needs of the offender."

On the needs of the offender? Bah. If social service providers had any actual input on the parole board's decisions, reintegration would capitalize on the offender's strengths rather than their failings. It's a proven treatment model we use all the time in DMH & DSS programs. The govenor's policy of locking people away out of sight and out of mind exacerbates rediciv.... redicis... redi... dammit, it just sucks.

As to locating specific parole board members, there's a list of the various officers on the board on the mass.gov website, but i get the impression that the actual deciders depend on the particular prison. I'd try calling the main office in Natick and pestering them for contact info. But then again, i'm nosey : )

emmjay
07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I think you misunderstood my question; I wasn't asking where the parole board members live (or work), I was asking how much longer they each have remaining on their respective 5-yr terms. I for one would like to find out who is up for replacement in the next year or so, if they are the individuals with strong law enforcement (ie punishing vs rehab philosophy) since this could radically affect the way the process evolves, particularly if new members come onboard who have those important social service/psych backgrounds - that would be a really good thing.

queenxbabygurl
07-10-2006, 02:18 PM
is there a way to find out which members of the board like to deny parole quickly or actually like to give someone a chance. that probably made no sense. lol but it did in my head

emmjay
07-10-2006, 02:36 PM
yes, that did make total sense; that's what I was asking about in my posts. The board members are appointed for 5-yr terms and most of them have strong law enforcement backgrounds (former da's/ prosecutors, state troopers, etc) and that's the reason the parole board has been accused of discrimination, harsh punishment biases, prejudgemental decisions and refusal to acknowledge rehabilitation; it's also the reason more humanistic and activist groups have been asking that people from the social sciences, human services, mental health, etc.,. be appointed when these people are retired from serving. I remember reading an article which gave each individual's background, but didn't say how much longer they had to serve their 5-yr terms; that's the info I'm looking for, if anyone knows?

queenxbabygurl
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
well the whole reason my fiance is in prison is violation of probation. His p.o. lied his ass off to the judge. saying that my fiance didnt say when he moved which he did,didnt pay fines which he did cause I handed the money to the p.o. office,and a bunch of other crap. Worse thing he did was failed a urine test. He went before the parole people in Concord and they said they were going to deny him but that wasnt even the parole board i dont think. It just doesnt make any sense. I called the jail about it and they dont even know whats going on. Ugh..... I saw him yesterday and he said not to get my hopes up about parole cause nothing tends to go our way. And worse case scenerio is that he'll be home in 16 - 18 months with good time. But thats to long away for dirty urine. Sorry had to rant for a few minutes

Isabel Solidad
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Em- I'm not sure where specifically you'd find out when the board members are finished with their terms. Like i aid, a good place to start is to call the number on the site and pester them. I find most things by googling them and doing research on the net..... you'd be suprised what you can find out about people : )

OOOOOooo, i just did a lil "digging" around on the mass.gov website, and came up with this directory (http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/). Lots of articles and newsletters. Who wants to help me sort though this crap?

pristock230
07-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Well my man saw the Pre-Parole people and they asked him a whole bunch of questions so we will see what happens when the real thing comes up. I know deep down inside he won't get it but we can all have a little hope right.....

queenxbabygurl
07-19-2006, 01:30 AM
has anyone else heard that they have been denying parole left and right lately? thats what someone told me at concord. im not sure if its true or not , but it definetly brought down major hope for me and wade