View Full Version : how long can an inmate stay at a federal prison camp

JAYBABY
03-21-2006, 12:40 PM
my boyfriend is at the pensacola federal prison camp and i was wondering long will he be allowed to stay there and if not for a long time then will he be sent back home?

NYCandbeyond
03-21-2006, 12:45 PM
He should be there for 10 years or less............ that is the requirements for being at a camp, that and less than 10 points, he should finish his bid out there

JAYBABY
03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
this is the first place they sent him to so i was wondering is that because they are not planning on keeping him for a long time

NYCandbeyond
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
How much time does he have?

JAYBABY
03-21-2006, 02:00 PM
well he was sentenced to 120 months but the judge reduced it to 96 months

ACarter05
03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Because my husband is serving a 96 month sentence, I can tell you that he will most likely do all his time there as long as he does not get into any trouble. I wish you and yours the very best and if you have any other questions, if I have answers... I will be sure to answer.

TxSon'sMom
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
So a low facility is a camp? Does anyone know the requiresments for poss. going to a camp?

Strong
03-21-2006, 05:20 PM
I am very interested in this thread. My husband self-surrender on Feb. 24, we were told over the phone two weeks earlier that with his classifacation he would be going to their camp (USP McCreary), once we arrived they said this was somehow a mistake, we were upset with this news needless to say. When my husband had his couseler thing, he was told that he still had an open "detainer", so I got a copy of this judgement showing that it was not opened and mailed it to him, the one man he needed to talk to was a total A -hole and told my husband that he wouldn't be going anywhere for a least a year, and that he was use to inmates "pushing paper"....I guess my question is this: My husband is classified as low/medium, but he is in a high security prison, what if anything can we do to keep trying to have him transfered to their attached low security camp ??? Any infor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zelda50
03-22-2006, 12:39 AM
You need to find out what agency put the detainer on him and contact them with the Court Order and get them to lift the detainer. Then your husband needs to send a cop-out to Records to make sure the detainer has been removed. Then send a cop-out to his counselor, stating the detainer has been removed and requesting that his classification be re-figured. Sometimes they don't review the classification until the next "team" meeting - that's held every six months. That's my suggestion. Maybe others know of some other way. Z.

Strong
03-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks, yeah, we did everything that you just said and that is when he had to meet with one of his team couselers that they said he would have to talk to.....the A-hole.....his classifaction should only be like 4, but with the open detainer showing, which I mailed him a copy of showing that it is not!! it makes him a 7 ..... I think that the one man didn't care for the fact that he was "a paper pusher", which he is not, he only wants what is suppose to be...know what I mean....so, I guess we just now wait for the 6 mo. team member meeting....He got 54 months, and his crime was not a violent one, it was turned over to the Feds because 3 decades ago he got into trouble, and he had a very nice gun collection......his record of 30 years ago did not apply to his current pre-sentencing report.... It was just so upsetting to be ready for the camp and get there and be told that they had made a mistake....now it will be harder to get there since he is already in the system....any body else have any suggestions. Stong

Zelda50
03-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Perhaps I'm not understanding but what I was trying to say is that it has to be some agency, not YOU, who sends the paperwork to the prison to have the detainer removed. If it's already removed at the prison, then your husband should send a copout to the records department and ask them to notify the counselor. And then you just have to wait - perhaps for the next team meeting. Z.

TxRhino
03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Strong,

I might simply add that in the "real world", a COP OUT is something you do to get out of things, but in Fed Prison.... a Cop Out is a request form you fill out to get into things or request an action. Confussing I know... but what about the Feds isn't? :D

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

Strong
03-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Z, My husband had state and federal charges, the state was to run concurrent with the Fed., the judgement in the county for the state was what was showing up as an open detainter, I got a copy of the judgement showing where it was "not" open ????? and mailed to to him, I believe he gave it to this one counseler, so sounds like maybe his lawyer should get a certified copy ?? I am not sure what you mean as far as an agency, if he understands it correctly, it was the charges in this one county showing up as still open ?? Yes, it is all so confusing to me.....I don't think they like the inmates to do these Cop out forms, after the one A Hole said to him that he didn't care what his classification was, and that he sees many "paper pushers" even though it is their legal right to do so. He was very rude, they are suppose to have a certain amount of "team" couselers and this particular man was not present at any meetings with him, and by there rules should have been, but he was the one he had to see as far as answering his cop out, which he really had no answers, so now my husband is going the next step ??? Thanks for all the input and please give more if it is out there.

Zelda50
03-23-2006, 08:36 AM
If his state sentence has been served in full, then you might try having the State DOC Records Office send notification to the federal prison that his state sentence has been completed. If his state sentence is still running, then he does, indeed, have an open detainer I expect - until it's completed. Also - I believe the term "cop-out" is because the inmate makes a request and then the BOP staff "cop out" of doing anything about it. Z.

TxRhino
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Zelda50,

Your not being Facetious are you? Wink - wink, nod, nod :D !!

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

optimistic
03-24-2006, 04:43 PM
We were going through the same issues with a detainer. Zelda is right.....the agency has to send a letter or something saying it opened. They mailed a letter to my guy's facility saying they no longer had an interest in him. Someone (records, his counselor???) sent it to him and he mailed it home.

He asked for his reclassification and he was told that his points had been re-figured but he would not be eligible to move until his annual review. He just had another team meeting and that is what they told him. Don't know if that's right, but that's what they said.