View Full Version : USPO house visit question -- Need advice

coping
03-16-2006, 09:39 PM
My son is suppose to get a 48 hour pass to go home next weekend. The only problem is the USPO has not made the home visit. The 48 hour pass residence is in the Northern District, but he is in the hwh in the Southern District. His counselor notified the USPO office 2 weeks ago, she said she would call them tomorrow. Do you think it would be wise for me or my son to call them, if they don't respond this time? If they have not "at least called and gotten permission", before next Wednesday, he will not be able to go home. What to do???

TxRhino
03-16-2006, 10:05 PM
coping,

I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know.... but try to breath :D . You know the Fed's move at there own pace and so far all has worked out well... relatively speaking. I suppose if it were me, I would be a bit anxious too.

If I might suggest, simply giving them a call on Monday and ask when and if you can expect them for the home visit as your son is suppose to come home next weekend and you have a busy schedule getting ready for the happy event. These guys/gals at the FPO's Office are human too and will surely understand your anxiousness.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

coping
03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks Michael! My son thought about us calling, but he don't want the hwh to think he is going over their head. Things are going ok for him there, except for the "diluted UA", but everything else eventually came through ok, only with a little sweat ex. driving, job approval, cell phone, passes, ...

Federal PO
03-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Coping,

If anything, I would contact the person at the halfway house and be sure that the request has been sent. Frequently the counselors tell families that they have sent a request and they are waiting on me, and I haven't ever seen the paper.

If the probation officer has received the request, then they have it in the pipeline of things to do. Quite honestly, the requests from the HWH for these things tend to be a low priority for an officer, as we have no jurisdiction over the offender. It's the HWH's job to determine home pass eligibility. It's something we do as a courtesey, and if I have my work that is more pressing (in the form of a PSI to write, objections to answer, a supervisee in crisis, or warrants to get out) then the HWH pass plan gets pushed to the back burner.

Either way, if it has been sent, the officer will get to it when possible.

coping
03-18-2006, 12:08 AM
His couselor told him today, that the southern district always gets it done right away, but the northern district is always slow. Thats a bummer!!! I guess we will just have to wait.

She also advised him not to call. She said she called this morning, but they were out of the office until Monday. I guess they took off for St Patricks Day!!??

julie192
03-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Does the p.o. has to visit the house for him to get a weekend pass?

coping
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
His counselor said they have to at least call the person he will be staying with and make sure it is ok for him to stay there. But I think they eventually have to do the inspection.

cjjack
03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
The USPO didn't do house inspections for halfway house weekend passses where I was. Someone from the halfway house actually did them.

coping
03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
An update...
The counselor called the USPO Monday, and they did not receive the first request, so she sent it again. As of today, still no call, so I guess he will be at the hwh another weekend!!

coping
03-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Another Update... Well, after careful thought we went against the suggestions here and called the PO office. We decided it would be best if I called, then if the hwh got upset about it, they couldn't blame him completely, since I did it. But...SURPRISE!!! It went great! The PO not only was VERY helpful and got the residence approved immediately, but told us his name and told me to call back if we needed him for anything else!!! We're soooooo exicted.... He's coming home this weekend!!!!! We're having a family reunion!!!!

TxRhino
03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Congrats.....

coping you handled that in typical RHINO fashion (lower your head and charge :D ). I am happy things worked out. Have a great reunion.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

coping
03-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Another Update... We had our reunion last night!! It was great, we had reservations at a nice restaurant in town, and we all spent his pass for 4 hours there. He was constantly watching his watch, but I'm glad he is conscious about the rules. Before we know it that will be gone, too. It is so nice to have our son back. He is better than ever, a new person!!!!