View Full Version : Some Vermont prisoners in Kentucy might go to Oklahoma

imanillusion
03-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Vermont Corrections officials are finalizing plans to increase the number of inmates transferred out of state to serve their sentences. They say they have no choice because the in-state prison population continues to explode despite special efforts to relieve chronic overcrowding.
"We're looking at a facility in western, a relatively new facility in western Oklahoma as the site for coming up some more beds," said Vt. Corrections Commissioner Rob Hoffman.
Hoffman says the corrections department is contracting to reserve to up to 240 beds at the North Fork Correctional Facility in Sayre, Oklahoma for Vermont inmates. But the beds will not be filled all at once.
"Let's say over the next several weeks I expect we'll start with what'll be a trickle of a few dozens to start," said Hoffman.
Read more on the link. (http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4616236)

WaitN4Him
03-11-2006, 03:55 PM
This purely my opinion, and only my opinion, but I disagree with this completely. Kentucky has over crowding and me can't even properly take care of our own. So it only cost $20k a year to house them here instead of there. Well that is my point exactly, that is more money that needs to be put to the issues that we have of our own. I totally disagree with out of state housing, especially when one of my own isnt getting all he should get. However I do realize that it is private prisons that are doing this, I still dont think its right.

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware KY was part of the out of state housing plan.

babygirl350
03-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Oh my they just keep transferring further and further away. What a rip. That must be so difficult for family and friends. So much for visiting support. I can understand the need to do this with Federal prisons, but not state ones.

Thanks for sharing with us this very sad news. I feel badly for all those affected by this decision.