View Full Version : Polunsky Prison Unit-Texas-Region1-Discussion/Chat-Thread

Brent's Mom
03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Polunsky Unit is in Livingston. Do you have a loved one here? If so tell us about it. This is your place to discuss or chat with others who visit or have been in this prison.

Valentine4ever
03-10-2006, 12:32 PM
hello:D

polunsky is where my husband is....he been on this particular unit almost 4 yrs now....i hope to met others who loved one is at this unit:thumbsup:
ooo just in case anyone is interested....polunsky is have a family day event on april 23rd!!!!! im praying i can make to this one...i would love met someone or anyone from the pto family!!!

Woody's Girl
03-10-2006, 12:39 PM
MY BROTHER IS AT THIS UNIT; and we have been traveling here since 1999. So, I know alot of people on this unit who are okay with my brother, I also have met alot of people's family since I've been going here for what is it 7 years now... I like Polunsky for the most part of it, I mean visitation is not that bad if you have contact visit.... they keep changing staff though, the ones that have been there for a few years are cool, they don't hassle you like the new jacks... and at visitation, Mr. & Mrs. Lay, they are just the nicest (the vending machine people) I am so glad they are there cause it used to be once upon a time once you got there late, there were no goodies in the machines.... Warden Alfred, he is a good listener also, if you have any concerns about something he can handle I would definately say talk to him...

sandy59
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi
My partner is at the Polunsky Unit, I am living in the UK at the moment and will be making my second trip over in 15 days time. Would also like to meet others who have loved ones there.:o
Sandy

PattiD1157
03-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I have a penpal there that I found when I was doing an English paper last semester. He is on dr. Very kind hearted man. He was more than willing to help with the interview part of the paper. I sent him questions and he sent back every question answered in great detail. I got an "A" on the paper. :D

Ronnie'sHoney
03-18-2006, 10:16 PM
My Honey is at Polunsky. I haven't got to visit yet :-( My first visit will be June 17th! Don't know a lot about the Unit. Does anyone have info they can share? Like when are the commissary days, any info on lock downs, etc... I would appreciate it, thanks.
What's that Family Event your talking about? To you have to be literal "family" and on the Visitation list already? (I know that's a dumb question; the answers most certainly yes! ;-) )

sandy59
03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi
Some info that I have on the Polunsky Unit, I have special visits which are four hours long as I travel more than 300 miles to get there (actually my travel is 5000 miles one way!) I can have two four hour visits at the end of one month and two more at the beginning of the next. They can order from the commissary but only when the are allowed, currently this is about every two weeks, they can spend $75 if they have it in their account. They are very strict with getting in and will search you and your belongings, you can take a clear purse in with you with $20 in it for the vending machines, but you are not allowed to touch anything that is going to the inmates, you can put the money in and select an item but not allowed to get it out of the machine, a guard has to do this. They also take pictures on the first week of the month and these are $3 each.

If you need any more info, you can PM me
Hope this helps
Sandy

Rachel
03-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Polunsky Unit = coldest visitation room in the State of Texas. TAKE A SWEATER!!

Generally though the staff are helpful and the atmosphere during the DR visits (M-F 9-5, and SAT eve's) is quite peaceful. Visits are ALL non-contact. Visitors are not allowed to wander around and must stay at their designated window. Everything Sandy said is accurate ^^^

Last week they had stopped allowing you to take your sunglasses in with you, but it may have all changed by this week!

Ronnie'sHoney
03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Does anyone have a current commissary price list? Ronnie is supposed to be sending one but I haven't gotten it yet.

manola's lyric
04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I have to agree with lady sparkles,

babieboo
04-05-2006, 12:01 AM
My hubby is also at polunsky unit. I go visit every other weekend. :)

Rachel
04-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if DR and/or Gen Pop is on lockdown at Polunsky?

Valentine4ever
04-08-2006, 09:01 AM
lady,

my husband told me that the whole unit is locked down because of some terrorist threats made to the wardens and major!!!!!

Ronnie'sHoney
04-12-2006, 09:42 PM
They came off Lockdown on Sunday

sandy59
04-14-2006, 08:02 AM
It was announced on KDOL radio that the lock down at the Polunsky Unit was finished last Sunday, but in fact they were on lockdown until Tuesday, but have now come off and recreation etc has started again.

I have just come back from the unit and the rules in the visiting room have nw changed. When they bring the inmate you must have no contact with anyone not even other visitors, you must not talk to anyone. You also have to wear the badge thing around your neck at all times.

Every time we went into the car park the car was searched on the way in and on the way out.

And yes the visiting room was so so cold!!!!!!
Sandy

Rachel
04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the info Sandy.
Guess they are really tightening up!
They started bringing this in when we were there in March, seems like they are keeping it as a policy.

Rach x

Rachel
04-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Does anyone have a current commissary price list? Ronnie is supposed to be sending one but I haven't gotten it yet.

Do you still need a commisary list? I have one that is fairly recent.

babieboo
04-26-2006, 08:47 PM
It was announced on KDOL radio that the lock down at the Polunsky Unit was finished last Sunday, but in fact they were on lockdown until Tuesday, but have now come off and recreation etc has started again.

I have just come back from the unit and the rules in the visiting room have nw changed. When they bring the inmate you must have no contact with anyone not even other visitors, you must not talk to anyone. You also have to wear the badge thing around your neck at all times.

Every time we went into the car park the car was searched on the way in and on the way out.

And yes the visiting room was so so cold!!!!!!
Sandy

are u serious? we have to wear badges now?? you have got to be kidding!

Rachel
04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
are u serious? we have to wear badges now?? you have got to be kidding!

Only on the Death Row visits (not gen pop), we always had badges but they kind of clipped on and you could take them off.
Just means that we keep them on at all times, I guess.

babieboo
04-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Only on the Death Row visits (not gen pop), we always had badges but they kind of clipped on and you could take them off.
Just means that we keep them on at all times, I guess.

ooh ok. thanks for letting me know. the visitation rules change so much that i dont know what's going on anymore.

Just Me 1973
05-04-2006, 01:19 AM
I have a friend at the Polunsky unit, DR. I'm visiting in June/July. :)

Ronnie'sHoney
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Ladyarkles: He sent me a list--THANKS

Rachel
05-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Is anyone else hearing that the mailroom is having serious delays in handling incoming mail?

way3593
05-14-2006, 10:18 PM
My brother in law that I have never met yet is at the Polunsky Unit. I asked him to get me on his list so I can go see him Memorial weekend. No contact visits? My sister in law went last summer and had one....hmmm....no matter, I am looking forward to meeting him finally after 11 years of being related and 13 years of him being in TDCJ.

~Estradas girl~
04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
My boyfriend just got transfered to Polunsky Unit A week ago
Does anyone have anymore information about it?

Rachel
04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Is he Gen Pop or DR because info for the two categories are quite different!

R x

~Estradas girl~
04-22-2007, 04:49 PM
He is in Gen Pop

Rachel
04-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Here is the link to lots of information about the Polunsky Unit (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221101)

ThePoetsWife
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
My husband got transferred there on 5/29. Our 90 days won't be up until the end of July, I will be travelling from Oklahoma to visit him, any tip on getting special contact visit approved for the 4 hours Sat and Sun? How soon should I start getting all the paperwork ready, and etc? He has been in classfication until now, does this count as part of the 90 days? Are the 5 minutes phone calls allowed in this unit? This and any other information that I can get is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rachel
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Mary,
I suggest that you get your paperwork ready asap.
You could always call the Warden's secretary and ask her about your husband specifically. When he will be able to have Special Visits and so on.
Her name is Miss Demirez and the Unit phone number is: (936) 967 8082.

As with any Texas prison, don't hold your breath waiting for the phone calls. The reality is that they hardly ever happen. One 5 minute call every ninety days? WOW!!

DeepRed
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm still waiting for a phone call. I think after 14 years without using a phone maybe he is scared then again I have to talk to him through the glass and that's a phone isn't it? LOL!

dazi78
06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi all I new to this was looking to find anyone who has a love one in Polunsky unit I have so many questions. My love one just got transfered their from Formby Unit. So if any one has info and time to talk would really love to meet you. Thanks Dazi

ThePoetsWife
06-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I have not heard a word from my husband since May 30, and I am so worried about him. I called inmate information and they said that there is nothing wrong from what they can tell on the computer. Any one has any ideas? If something happened to him, will they contact me throgh mail or something?

doc's honeee
03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Have you been able to contact your husband? I hope things have worked out. Peace Marianne

Denise660
04-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Hello, my name is Denise. I used to work at Polunsky and my fiance is in prison there. It's a long story. "used to" being the key words. I love my Baby though and it was worth it.

sweetnina
04-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi, my man, the love of my life, is at Polunsky, Death Row. Its a strange place but we have to get along with it.

Denise660
04-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have news about Polunsky Unit. Why did Warden Massey leave? He was a fair and kind person.

mrscmax
04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
So the Warden REALLY is NOT available???!! That explains why they never let me talk to him. Please let me know what you find out about this. Thanks.

Denise660
04-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh they have a warden. Three of them. There is Warden Simmons, I think he took Massey's place, then there is Asst. Warden Alford and the weekend warden who is usually the Captain on Death Row. I can't think of her name but she is very nice. Oh it's Captain Nelson.

Denise660
05-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Why doesn't any one post here?

jps1stlady
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
If there is something in particular you need support in maybe you should try some of the other subforums. They are really helpful.

Denise660
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I want any kind of news about the Polunsky Unit. Please private message me. ANY news. Thanks.

Amaranth
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I currently have a penfriend on DR in the Polunsky Unit, he's a very kind man, i wasnt sure what to say to him at first, but he was very kind in saying that he had probably heard it all before and that i shouldnt worry about offending him or anything.
He likes to hear about whats going on in the real world and about the UK
Id like to think that i would be able to visit him sometime.

Oh im from the UK

annabrecker
07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
My husband is in the Polunsky Unit. I am just beginning to learn about the system and how everything works. Thanks for sharing, everyone.
Rebecca

annabrecker
07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
My husband is in the Polunsky Unit. Thank you all for sharing...I am just now beginning to learn the ins and outs of the system. It's confusing and a bit overwhelming to tell you the truth!
Thx
Rebecca

annabrecker
07-06-2008, 04:55 PM
My husband is in Polunsky. I appreciate all you've written as this is new to me.
Rebecca

annabrecker
07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
My husband is in Polunsky. I appreciate all you've written as this is new to me, confusing and a bit overwhelming.
Thanks.
Rebecca

gypsysmagician
11-01-2008, 11:05 AM
My special someone is also at Polunsky and on death row. I appreciate all the information I can find here. Have been there to visit a few times and will be going again in future. I know it is overwhelming to go there for the first time, especially if you don't know anything like that where you come from. But then I found out, you can do a lot of things if you care enough for someone.

annabrecker
11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
TY for the reply, gypsysmagician.

I have been hearing from him regularly through the mail, even with the restrictions due to lockdown. But he doesn't want us to come see him he says. Odd. But I guess I kinda understand.

gypsysmagician
11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Probably not during the lockdown I imagine? Because there were no visits allowed all the time.
But now that the lockdown is over, surely he will want visits again ??
Who would not want them, I mean.
I live in Europe and my loved one sure wants them but realises that it is not possible so often. For that part I wish I could be closer. But then, it is just not the case and so we will make the best out of it :)

TY for the reply, gypsysmagician.

I have been hearing from him regularly through the mail, even with the restrictions due to lockdown. But he doesn't want us to come see him he says. Odd. But I guess I kinda understand.

JJS811
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a very special friend, on DR in Polunsky. I too am from the UK.

Danigran
01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
My husband is in Polunsky. I appreciate all you've written as this is new to me, confusing and a bit overwhelming.
Thanks.
Rebecca

Someone else from the Conroe area!!! I live in Willis and work in The Woodlands!!! Glad to see someone else!
The love of my life is on death row.

schimaere
02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
My Lover is in Polunsky Unit: DR.
I'll glad to talk with an other person like "me".
Thanks. ;)

KittenVonPurr
02-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I have a friend in Polunsky. His name is Randy, we started out as pen pals and have become friends. I will visit him for the first time in a few weeks. Randy was incarcerated in 1997 and his release date is 01/2012.

rhondacyann
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Hello, Iam Rhonda and I just found out last night that my son has been sent to Polunsky Unit.I live in Lufkin so the drive will not be bad at all, but the thing is I was told that he is in admin. seg. No one will tell mre exactly what this means. I do know he cannot have visitation, can he have commisary? I am so upset over this . Please someone, tell me what this means. Thankyou

putergirl
05-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi, I did a search on this web site on what "admin segregation" means and it looks like he's been doing poorly. Most of what I read says that means he's received 19 infractures for not behaving so he'll be segregated for most of the day; not sure how long though. You might want to call Polunsky and ask them if you can write, send money, or eventually visit him.
Hope this helps and good luck!

GraysonMom
05-08-2009, 05:00 PM
They can still send and receive mail. I would call his unit as suggested and ask them. Others will be along soon. Hope this helps and Blessings as always.

Daisypetal
05-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Hello there,

I have a pen pal that started as a friendship, but now we are in love. His name is Gerald Marshall and he is in the Polunsky unit on Death Row in Texas. A great, sincere, deep loving and caring man who is a Christian and I am very concerned. I have not received any letters from him in 2 weeks now. I called the prison and the ward on his floor tells me that he is fine and has not gone to "Medical". I don't believe this. I know that they have a fasting issue going on and I think other things are going on too! Has anyone heard anything? Thanks.. Sherrie Reeves - *email removed per policy*

mammastalkin
05-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Hello there,

I have a pen pal that started as a friendship, but now we are in love. His name is Gerald Marshall and he is in the Polunsky unit on Death Row in Texas. A great, sincere, deep loving and caring man who is a Christian and I am very concerned. I have not received any letters from him in 2 weeks now. I called the prison and the ward on his floor tells me that he is fine and has not gone to "Medical". I don't believe this. I know that they have a fasting issue going on and I think other things are going on too! Has anyone heard anything? Thanks.. Sherrie Reeves - *personal email remove as per PTO policy - pls contact through PM*

I have friends on DR at Polunsky. They were a couple of weeks late with their letters. They had not been able to get two cent stamps!! That was the hold up. They hadn't planned ahead and then the prison ran out. Maybe that is slowing down your letters.

JJS811
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
From what I can gather the hunger strike at Polunsky has ended, but the mail room is badly understaffed. That could easily be part of the problem.

sadone
06-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, mail is running very slow right now.

Danigran
06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
From what I can gather the hunger strike at Polunsky has ended, but the mail room is badly understaffed. That could easily be part of the problem.

Man oh man mail is running so slow! Slow to the extreme!

ShoesHappen
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
I talked to the mail systems administrator and she said they are understaffed. Sent an email to the Ombudsman 'reminding' him they are in violation and have not heard anything back ... SURPRISE! The rules state that mail can not be held more than 24 hours after being received by the unit but it takes an average of two weeks to get a letter to the inmates!

Go ahead and email/call as well ... why should they not abide by the rules when everyone else has to?

sadone
06-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I talked to the mail systems administrator and she said they are understaffed. Sent an email to the Ombudsman 'reminding' him they are in violation and have not heard anything back ... SURPRISE! The rules state that mail can not be held more than 24 hours after being received by the unit but it takes an average of two weeks to get a letter to the inmates!

Go ahead and email/call as well ... why should they not abide by the rules when everyone else has to?

I agree. Good to know, thanks.

GraysonMom
06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Here is a link that may help you ladies. Post numbers 2 & 4 have good information. Hope this helps and blessings as always. The Second link is for the Mail Systems Coordinator number & Address, Post 2.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4320299&highlight=Mail+distribution+policy#post4320299

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3037148&highlight=Mail+systems+Coordinator#post3037148

Faith & God
06-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone.Hope all is well. Yes the mail problems is out of control.I called they say their understaffed.My husband is getting my mail a week later.At visit he was very upset with me for him getting no mail from me.He thought i was out here doing something wrong and didn't have time to write.He is use to a letter every day from me.I have been getting his mail right on time.So seems they don't have a problem sending the mail out.Their mail is suppose to be delieved to them by 10pm every day.
The officer's are very lazy,so some of them do have the offender hand out mail, and YES it is against the policy.but go figure!!!!! it happens.you put a grievence on them and then they (officers) retaleate against the offender.but you know the officers is always right.(yea right) that's what they say anyway.
anyways all take care & GOD BLESS

ShoesHappen
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Funny thing ... I emailed the Ombudsman a week and a half ago and still haven't heard anything back. Funny, funny ... guess their mail is delayed, too!

Faith & God
06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
The onbudsman will get back to you.They always have me, but they do take care ER first.So yes it does take time sometimes.
I recieved a letter today sayin that my hasband is getting my mail on time now. so maybe the problem is solve.Let's hope so..Take care God Bless

ShoesHappen
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
After I sent them an email reminding them of my original inquiry they sent me a response.
As usual with TDCJ it's a never ending maze of excuses and brush-offs. I emailed them right back calling her out on several things and backed up my claims with solid verifiable facts.
I am going to argue with them until they own up to breaking the rules. It's not about the actual mail delay anymore, it's about the principle that they have the attitude of a rogue agency who can bend and break rules at random.

AmyInSaintPaul
06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Hello all.

I am glad to discover this site is still going strong.

I do have someone I love very much in Polunsky. Honestly it's been a very long time between my letters, as I litterally "lost it" know how badly he is being tortured. Yes, I should have been stronger.

And I recently wrote this SUPER LONG 64 Page letter. So the mail is running really slow.... Sorry - mine will probably make things worse, being so lenghthy.

don't even know if he'll reply - but i'm hoping.

glad your all here

sadone
06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Hello all.

I am glad to discover this site is still going strong.

I do have someone I love very much in Polunsky. Honestly it's been a very long time between my letters, as I litterally "lost it" know how badly he is being tortured. Yes, I should have been stronger.

And I recently wrote this SUPER LONG 64 Page letter. So the mail is running really slow.... Sorry - mine will probably make things worse, being so lenghthy.

don't even know if he'll reply - but i'm hoping.

glad your all here

Awww good luck. I hope he replies to you as well. Keep us posted. Is he on DR or General population in Polunsky?

AmyInSaintPaul
06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
He's on death row

sadone
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
He's on death row

Well let us know if you hear back from him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup: