View Full Version : Muskegon Correctional Facility Check-in, Gossip, and Info Thread..

MrsBenji
03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Okay folks... If you have a loved one in Muskegon Correctional Facility, here is a place for you to check in and share gossip and chit chat about Muskegon!!

So... jump in with any rumors you hear... *events* you hear about... or just good info you find out... let's share!!!

Jenn

Erics_TaraLee
03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I dont have anything but highschool crap. CO sleeping with inmates. CO sleeping with married coworkers. And the occasional fight. They been doing a lot of shake downs my man says. Something about a high in flux of drugs of somesort.

Mztia72
03-05-2006, 04:20 AM
I dont have anything but highschool crap. CO sleeping with inmates. CO sleeping with married coworkers. And the occasional fight. They been doing a lot of shake downs my man says. Something about a high in flux of drugs of somesort.

MY HUSBAND SAID THE SAME THING.

Erics_TaraLee
03-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah well I go se ehim in week or two I hope as soon as funds are better I wll get more and take notes and pass them on. I was trying to figure out where they might put the conjugal visit area if the states passes it. It makes for good hoping and dreamingto pass the time. I was thinking they may build a smallers area out int he huge open area right in front of the visiting window. IOnly place i can see for it. Any thoguths?

Mztia72
03-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah well I go se ehim in week or two I hope as soon as funds are better I wll get more and take notes and pass them on. I was trying to figure out where they might put the conjugal visit area if the states passes it. It makes for good hoping and dreamingto pass the time. I was thinking they may build a smallers area out int he huge open area right in front of the visiting window. IOnly place i can see for it. Any thoguths?

That is the only place I could see it, unless they brought in a couple of trailers. I don't think they will build anything permanent though. That will be great if they did pass it. I would be very happy:D :D :D !!!

Erics_TaraLee
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
ot to the right in front of one unit.

Mztia72
03-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Was at MCF 3-13-06 and a sign was posted that a prisoner had a communicable disease and was being takened care of and any prisoner having such wouldn't be allowed visitors. Thought anyone with loved ones here would want to know. I seen it on the way out the door because it wasn't posted at 230pm. And it had todays date 3-13-06.

Erics_TaraLee
03-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Thank you very much, I hope mine is very safe. His room mate is clean freak that should help. And he isn't too social.

Erics_TaraLee
04-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Ok found out monday that the sign was psoted do to a bad outbreak of the flu.

DalesDeb
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Conj. visits? I hadn't heard that. It figures, after 7 years and my guy is maxing out, they may pass that.. LOL Just my luck..But that's great for everyone with loved ones still in.. I think it would be a good idea, less stress on the inmates...LOL (If you know what I mean)..

MrsBenji
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Conj. visits? I hadn't heard that. It figures, after 7 years and my guy is maxing out, they may pass that.. LOL Just my luck..But that's great for everyone with loved ones still in.. I think it would be a good idea, less stress on the inmates...LOL (If you know what I mean)..

If ANYWHERE in Michigan is gonna bring 'em back, it will be a LOOOOOONG, LOOOOONG time... It's fun to think about though!

Jenn

Erics_TaraLee
04-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Actually according to a friend of mine it may be on the ballet in November. It seems that the Judicial commitee and the senators and representatives started getting a huge influx of mail in for it to be passed.

MrsBenji
04-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Actually according to a friend of mine it may be on the ballet in November. It seems that the Judicial commitee and the senators and representatives started getting a huge influx of mail in for it to be passed.

Even if something passed, with the DOC, arrangements to have them at the facilities and scheduling and such, it'd be a long, long while. Kinda like everything else with the DOC. ;)

Jenn

jasonsprincess
05-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I doubt they'll ever pass it. The state won't want to pay for it, nor do they want the inmates to feel and "luxury" of home.....which is stupid if you ask me!

Anyways, I went and spent 3 days with my hubby this past weekend! It was so nice to be able to spend all that time with him. Thursday night this one guard pissed me off tho, I said something to her and my husband was trying not to laugh! Other than that, things were pretty boring....

MsSchema
05-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know who we talk too about no photo's! This happen on Mothers day. And I think its going to happen for Memorial weekend as well. I was up visiting on Saturday the 20th and the vending machine, (sandwich/pizza) was empty...completely. Not one thing in it!! Now you all know that friends and family come from near and far. Especially on a holiday, these are issues that really effect us :(...Any ideas to try to resolve these concernes asap?? Or am I dreamin' :) Wendy

mlynnm
05-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Can someone in here give me the goods on Muskegon CF? I would like to know visiting hours, how much photo tickets are and just anything you can think of. I'm updating the profile for this prison and I don't know much about this prison. Please PM me with the info. Thanks, Melanie

MsSchema
05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Monday through friday, from 230 to 830 and on the weekends from 10am to 8pm. The photos have been 1.50 but not available very often...do to no film!

mrsdragoness
05-25-2006, 06:58 PM
If there's no film for several visits please ask for and fill out a complaint card and send it to Lansing......there's NO EXCUSE to be out of film all the time!!

BTW.. Mr. has a cousin at MCF... he and my hubby used to be bunkies when they both were there ;)

Sylvia123
12-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey all my fiance is at Muskegon. Have not been there for a visit, due to car not being able to make it that far. Can anyone fill me in on how they are? What about marriages? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Nine
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Sylvia123, We got married at MCF about 6 weeks ago. The chaplain there is very nice. It is pretty decent there. Typically the officers that process you through for visits are nice. I cant say that I have had any problems there. My DH has had some problems with his couselor in the unit they just moved him to. We are trying to get my teenagers approved for visits. The councelor said to simply turn in the visiting apps and they would be approved rather quikly. Well now he decided he need to see copies of the birth certificates. I sent those three weeks ago and received a letter two weeks ago stating that such documents are not allowed in the facility. The councelor requested them!! My DH did not get the letter that was included with the copies until about four days ago. When he told the councelor about the restricted mail he was told again that the copies needed to be seen by the councelor befor he would process the applications. I sent those out Saturday directly to his councelor with an explanation for the mail room.

Other than that its been pretty uneventful.

Snowbaby62
12-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I just went for a visit also the weekend after Thanksgiving. The officers were ok, the visiting room is pretty small, but with plenty of vending machines.

Syliva, I am planning a trip the day after Christmas...if you are on my way you could ride along. However as I am driving from IN i get a hotel room, and then visit the next day as well. If interested, let me know...

Staci

Erics_TaraLee
12-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Sylvia,

I am planning a trip next thursday I only go for one day. Let me or us know what city you are in. I am sure someone will be going soon. I got married there. They are understanding and even try to accomodate other relgions other then christianity. I am wiccan as is my Husband.

Erics_taralee

Erics_TaraLee
12-06-2006, 05:03 AM
mlynn

visiting hrs 2 - 830 but you cant get in until 230.
pic ticks are 1/50 and their digital. Yes they finaly gave up the camera and printer.

Lions Heart
12-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Shift change is at 2pm so that is why no one can get in until 2:30. I would be surprised if they posted the visiting times to be at 2:00pm. They usually start at 2:30 but will let you on the premises by 2:00pm. At least that is the way it is at most facilities.

IvyPeterson
04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi guys!

I could really use your help!!! My guy just got transferred to Muskegon from Egeler, last night.

Could you please help me? I need all of the info you can share with me.

MrsBenji
05-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi guys!

I could really use your help!!! My guy just got transferred to Muskegon from Egeler, last night.

Could you please help me? I need all of the info you can share with me.

What sort of info are you looking for? :)

Jenn

ang3leyezz
06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I know I was at muskegon on Monday June 4th for a visit and there was a sign up saying not to buy picture tickets because the digital camera is broken. I asked the Co who was on duty and she said that it could take up to 2 months to get it fixed. I don't know how true it is about the camera getting fixed but if anyone finds out when or if it gets fixed soon please let me know in my inbox because I would like to know ASAP. I can't always get back to where I posted something that's why I ask to put it in my inbox and I will post any new information.

Thanx,
Katie

ang3leyezz
01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure if anyone still checks this thread but I've been visiting there for over a year now and some days are better than others. For instance there is a new deputy warden and I believe no one likes him. As far as I can tell he is male...LOL. Anyways...Other than that nothin much has changed except they have let go of a few correctional officers and I'm not too fond of some of the new ones.
My boyfriend has told me of how tight it has gotten in there and I was wondering has anyone else heard anything???

HOPE4FUTURE
01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Mine is not there anymore but what did you mean by they let go of a few officers?

ang3leyezz
01-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Well a lot of the officers have moved up in rank and there's 1 I know for certain that was fired. Then there's one that left for maternity leave and hasn't returned and there's talk that she may not return. If you want to know names I can post them in a private message. Let's see...it's just gotten to the point where some of the officers are unbearable and they think they are the ****.

MRP Mom
03-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Although it has been a really long time since anyone has posted here. It would be nice to get it started up again. My son has was transfered to MCF from Egeler in February. We have visited with him three times since. He did mention that while he has been there, they have gotten several new CO. The last time we were there on Easter, a new one was in the visiting room, and she was not very friendly. She walked around the room, and several times would just stop and stand by visitors. I never seen anything that warranted her to do that the entire 3 hours we were there.

hamilton01
04-13-2008, 08:02 AM
I agree that it would be nice to get the inside info on things like visiting this specific facility and other pertinant information. I am visiting in a little less that 2 weeks and will tell what I know.

MRP Mom
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Hamilton,

Have a safe trip and hopefully we will meet.

mrsdee727
05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi I'm new here, this is actually my first post besides my intro. My husband is staying in MCF. I'm visiting for the first time tomorrow actually. sucks its 3 hrs away! but anyways, just checking in.

brownie033
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
hi
im just checking in my boyfriend is also at mcf and im going to see him this week and it my first time visting so i hope it gos well

MRP Mom
05-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi Everyone!

I wish to send a big welcome to those of you posting on here for the first time!! I have not been able to check in for a while. However, I have been to see my son twice since my last posting. I hope your visits went well. I am taking a day off work so that I can visit again on the 22nd.

Hamilton, how was your trip and first visit? I hope you did not have any problems finding a hotel in the area.

There is a new House Bill that I came across dated May 15, 2008 concerning second chances to go to SAI. My son is serving 2 to 15 years, but from what I read on the MI website (or what I thought I understood), I think he may be eligible to go to SAI. I just do not know where to start to find out and if he can, how to get the process going. So, if any of you know anything about it, or has some time to do some investigating, I would greatly appreciate it. Who knows, perhaps your loved ones may be eligible too!

All of you are in my prayers.

brownie033
05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
hi
mpmom
have a good visit i hope it goes well i will be to see my boyfriend on the 1st of june and do you when they get their commisary

thanks
brownie033

MRP Mom
05-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Brownie,

I may be mistaken, but my son said they change the days for store each month. This month, his store is on Thursday. Which means he puts in his order by Monday or Tuesday and his things arrive on Thursday. I intend to visit him tomorrow and will pay a money order in the lobby before I go in, that way he will have it for store next Thursday. Then, his store day should be changing for June. He will let me know when he calls. I wonder if store days differ from unit to unit too. I forget if my son is in unit 2 or 4 now. He got moved a couple of weeks ago. It was a good move for his sake. I hope this helps. I have called before and was transfered to the department that processes the store money. They would not tell me how much was in his account, but they did tell me he had money in it. That was enough to let me know my money order had been received o.k. You might try calling; they may not give you an answer, but it can't hurt to try.

brownie033
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
thank you

MRP Mom
05-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial weekend. I was able to take a day off this past Thursday and went to visit my son. It was a good visit and I was surprised to see how many visitors were there on a weekday! You know what that means, we can expect the coin machine in the lobby to be out of order and the vending supplies to be low. I have gotten into the habit of buying my rolls of quarters before I get to the facility.

I hope all of you have a safe and happy holiday, and if you plan to, I hope your visit to MCF goes well.

Take care.

MRP Mom
06-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone,

My son just got word that he finally starts vocational classes tomorrow. Whee! What a worry that was; they have to complete the classes before their first twelve months is up and he is on week 20. He also started his first job last week. He earns 7 cents an hour to wash windows on Saturday and Sundays. He is taking his substance abuse classes now too. We are all breathing a sigh of relief, since all three things are required.

Just wanted to share.

HOPE4FUTURE
06-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Sounds like he's on his way! Tell him not to spend all his money in one place! LOL

MRP Mom
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are doing well. I have been to a couple of visits with my son since the last post. Both went well, except the coffee machine was down and I was really looking forward to a cup of cappacino. My nephew is coming up next weekend and has his approval to see his cousin. It will be the first time they have seen each other in over a year and it will be my nephews first time to go to a prison. It can be rather daunting at first, but I am sure he will do fine.

Take care to all of you!

hamilton01
06-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Just checking in. My fiance is still in MCF and we are getting married there on 7/17/08 :) I'm so excited! I'm going to visit for the whole week! Well, from Tuesday to Tuesday. Since they don't rotate there it will be really good - seven strait days!!!

The last visit went great! I didn't see you MRP Mom. But I was also in lala land and didn't notice much around me at all.

Take care

MRP Mom
07-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Hamilton,

I am so happy for you! Guess what? I will miss your wedding, but I plan to be there on the afternoon of the 18th to see my son. I hope we can meet. I will look around the room for a couple of love birds. LOL If you get to the lobby about 15 to 20 minutes before visiting starts, just start asking around and maybe we can chat before we go in. I will be alone this time since I took the day off and my husband has to work. I really hope you enjoy your visit and I wish both of you the very best of luck.
Congratulations!!!!

evenstar
07-11-2008, 08:38 PM
My dad was just transferred to Muskegon following a month a Charles Egeler and over a year at the Oakland County Jail. It will be a 5 hour drive to visit, but I'm looking forward to seeing him soon. It's been too long since I was able to give him a hug. Almost all of the posts I have seen are from people loving their husbands, sweethearts, or "babies." Does anybody have a dad or other older guy at Muskegon? My dad is almost 58.

sylvia fleming
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I have not heard any thing thats going on. my friend was sick for a whlle ago last he was suffering for hearing lost in one ear he sigh up to see the doctor. have any one heard if the parole board was releasing any of the lifer there?

sandymom
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe he was moved? You can look him up and see if he is still there.

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2.html

evenstar
08-11-2008, 09:49 AM
I'll be going to visit my dad for the first time this coming weekend, and I'm looking forward to it.

MRP Mom
09-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone

I feel bad for not checking in for so long. I hope all of you are doing well. I always pass the word around about PTO while I am waiting in the lobby to see my son. I hope to meet another member there one day.

I have found out a lot of new information today. Some of it good and some of it quite disturbing. I did not realize that even if my son gets out on his ERD, he could potentially be kept on parole for 15 years! There will soon be a petition going around about this matter. You should be able to find it under general talk. I definitely plan to sign it. I also found out about a group called MI-Cure that are advocates for the incarcerated. I emailed the Michigan chapter to learn how to become a member.

I will be going back to visit my son on 09/12/08. We were just there yesterday, but I decided to take a day off work and go see him again. Even though it will be 24 weeks tomorrow since he left, I still have difficult times dealing with him being in prison.

God bless all of you!

loved
09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
MRP Mom

Could you let us know what you find out about the MI-Cure. If there is any helpful information and things like that.

Thanks so much

MRP Mom
09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Dear Loved,

I just received an email back from Kay Perry. It is my understanding that she heads-up the Michigan chapter of CURE; it is actually a nation wide group. The information she gave me is that we pay a $10.00 membership fee and $2.00 for our incarcerated loved one. You will receive an initial packet of self-help literature, a quarterly newsletter, periodic mailings of new developments in the system, and invitations to the annual meetings. This year it is in Lansing on October 11. Kay's email address is kayperry@aol.com. and her address is MI-CURE, P.O. Box 2736, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-2736.

I am anxious to receive my first mailing and hopefully learn more about what is going on in the prison system and how we can help make a difference.

I will keep you posted about what I receive.

God Bless

loved
09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Dear MRP Mom,

I will be getting the membership. I am hoping there is some useful information. My husband has been wanting me to write to find out about how to get a grant to start a business when he comes home.

Thanks for the reply and God Bless!
loved

sisforbub
11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I am now a Muskegon prisoner's sister. My brother was moved from Egeler maybe a couple of days ago and I found him today on OTIS and it said MUSKEGON. I have been a member on the website for a little bit now and I think it helps me keep my sanity. I would love to hear anything about Muskegon and your situations. One day soon I am going to teach my mother how to use the computer and get her on here too! My mom and I would like to visit ASAP of course and appreciate any info on that. And most of all, any information I have obtained will gladly be shared with all of you.

MRP Mom
11-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Hello,

I think that by this time, I could write a book about our prison system and Muskegon especially!

According to my son, Muskegon is one of the better places to be as far as prisons go.

You are allowed two weekend visits; up to 5 people person visit, make all of you sign in at the same time (or it counts as two visit) Hours are from 10:oo a.m. to 8:30p.m.

You may visit up to five times on weekdays: same thing, up to 5 people per visit. Hours are from 2:30 p.m. to 8:00p.m. or 8:30 p.m. I cannot recall.

Make sure you know your license plate number, do not wear anything revealing or see through, and nothing with a hood.

If you are able, it is best to let your loved one know what day you plan to be there, so they can be ready. They have a schedule for lunches, etc. and they always perfer to eat out of the vending machines during visits, so take plenty of quarters in a zip lock baggie. There is a machine in the lobby to purchase photo tickets for $1.50. You can also pay store money at the sign in counter. They provide envelopes for you to place you money order in. They will provide you a locker to put your belongings in; do not take your cell phone into the facility. Leave it in the car.

You loved one is not allowed (nor are you) to speak to any other inmate while in the visiting room and if you take more than 1 restroom trip, it will count as two visits.

All you need to take in with you is quarters and your drivers license. Wear easy on and off shoes because you will have to take off your shoes and socks during the search. And, say aaah, they will look in your mouth too. No gum.

Once you have been there a few times, you learn the routine and it does get easier. The guards will start to recognize you too; some are friendly and some are rude and on power trips.

You are allowed an initial hug upon arrival and one when you leave. You are not allowed to touch otherwise during the visit. Some do, but depending on the guard, your loved one can get a ticket for it, so we just play it safe and go with great be hugs when we can.

sisforbub
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Does anyone have a round about idea on how long it takes for a visitation application to be processed. My brother has been in Muskegon for what I believe to be 1.5 weeks now and I have not got anything yet.

LadyChet
11-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Mine took a few days, you can call the facility and ask for the info desk to see if you are approved.

sisforbub
11-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I called today and the lady on the other end got short with me and said "No" then hung up immediately(sp) when I asked if I was approved for visitation. So I called back, the same voice answered so I just appologized and said my phone must have dropped the call and asked her if that means I will never be approved and she said no. Has anyone had this happen, I mean he has been there for over a week now and I sent in my application when he was at jackson and they said it would follow him to wherever he would end up. Should I send another one? Am I not being patient?

sisforbub
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
where can i find a copy of the store price list, nothing on google.

mrssunnyb
11-14-2008, 10:29 PM
where can i find a copy of the store price list, nothing on google.

you probably have to get the list from him.

mrssunnyb
11-14-2008, 10:31 PM
i called today and the lady on the other end got short with me and said "no" then hung up immediately(sp) when i asked if i was approved for visitation. So i called back, the same voice answered so i just appologized and said my phone must have dropped the call and asked her if that means i will never be approved and she said no. Has anyone had this happen, i mean he has been there for over a week now and i sent in my application when he was at jackson and they said it would follow him to wherever he would end up. Should i send another one? Am i not being patient?

some times it takes up to two weeks for approval. There are so many guys getting locked up, im sure they have been busy.

Another thing is - you can only bring in 15.00 worth of quarters per person - if you have more people - you can bring up to 15.00 per person - up to 45.00.

Believe me 15.00 does not last long when they keep raising the vending prices.

sylvia fleming
12-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Well family and friends, sister and brothers. I went to see my sugarlump on 11/29 we had a great visit. We are child-hood sweet hearts and the fire burnning for 30+ years. We have grandchildren who regularly send love note to there granddaddy. It is the bond of a family that keep him alive. There is noting like it.

sylvia fleming
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
The parole board was at this facility on the 2/18/09 the good new was they told him that they will get back with him real soon, and don't get any tickets. After 32 years that the best news we have every heard for the parole board. Please pray for us as we wait for the conclusion and that God give us the victory and He gets the glory!!!

HOPE4FUTURE
03-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Wow, 32 years! I sure hope and pray they come back with good news for him! That's a long time down.

cawarshefski
03-06-2009, 07:37 AM
I just wanted to introduce myself as a new Muskegon loved one. My baby was just transfered to MCF from RGC yesterday. He was their for 30 days and now at MCF. Like I posted about a month ago this is all new to me so ANY information will be a great help. What has happened so far for my baby and I...
Baby has been in and out of prison for 18 years of his life, First time for me with this. We have only been together for 4 months so I am hopping I can get threw this with him.
Pin for his phone was approved after 20 days at RGC I have gotten calls everyday up until he left yesterday.
Letters everyday up until yesterday.
He said they gave him 12 months with 2 months dropped
Out date is Jan 2010
Sees the parol board in Sept.
Sent in visitors app. when he was at RGC about 10 days now. I called 2 days ago to check on them but no one was on his list as of then.
Now for some questions.
Will it take a long time to get phone calls, letters from him now that he has moved? Do I need to sent in another app to his new place?
Will he be in his cell for a while before he can start getting his privaliges?
Can I write to him right away?
Any information about the visits will be helpful. I have NEVER had to deal with the prison system before so I have no clues about the visits. Thank you for any information and support. I just hope and pray I can get threw this.
I Love my baby

evenstar
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Will it take a long time to get phone calls, letters from him now that he has moved? Do I need to sent in another app to his new place?
Will he be in his cell for a while before he can start getting his privaliges?
Can I write to him right away?
Any information about the visits will be helpful.

Welcome to PTO and MCF!

First, you can definitely write to him right away. His address is:
Name, MDOC ID Number
Muskegon Correctional Facility
2400 S. Sheridan Dr.
Muskegon, MI 49442

Don't send money to that address. Also, you want to submit a visitor application directly to MCF. Go to the MDOC website FAQ section (sorry, I'm unable to post the link), and make sure you read the Visiting Standards (How do I visit a prisoner?).

I'm not sure how long it will be before he calls - he needs to submit a phone list and have it approved. He is permitted to write letters, but he might need to wait to order stationery and envelopes with postage from the commissary.

Best of luck to you!

cawarshefski
03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Welcome to PTO and MCF!

First, you can definitely write to him right away. His address is:
Name, MDOC ID Number
Muskegon Correctional Facility
2400 S. Sheridan Dr.
Muskegon, MI 49442

Don't send money to that address. Also, you want to submit a visitor application directly to MCF. Go to the MDOC website FAQ section (sorry, I'm unable to post the link), and make sure you read the Visiting Standards (How do I visit a prisoner?).

I'm not sure how long it will be before he calls - he needs to submit a phone list and have it approved. He is permitted to write letters, but he might need to wait to order stationery and envelopes with postage from the commissary.

Best of luck to you!
Evenstar,
I first want to thank you for the reply. I guess I feel that I am back to square 1 again. Wait, wait and wait some more. It took 20 days at RGC to get his pin and phone list. Does this mean he has to go through this same process all over again their? Or does his old phone list follow him? I know he went over to MCF with 8 stamps (thats what he told me on Thursay the day he left) .As for the visitors app. I still have not gotten back the one I sent when he was at RCG but I was directed to mail THAT app to MDOC and not to him. This is what I did. So do you still think I need to go a head a sent another one in? And if so how do I get a hold of another one. The one I sent back was mailed to me from him. Thanks again

evenstar
03-08-2009, 07:02 AM
I guess I feel that I am back to square 1 again. Wait, wait and wait some more. It took 20 days at RGC to get his pin and phone list. Does this mean he has to go through this same process all over again their? Or does his old phone list follow him? I know he went over to MCF with 8 stamps (thats what he told me on Thursay the day he left) .As for the visitors app. I still have not gotten back the one I sent when he was at RCG but I was directed to mail THAT app to MDOC and not to him. This is what I did. So do you still think I need to go a head a sent another one in? And if so how do I get a hold of another one. The one I sent back was mailed to me from him.

Yes, I know the waiting is hard, especially when you're new to the system and you don't know what's happening. I'm not sure about the phone list, if/how it transfers to a new facility. I don't remember how long it took. Is it possible that he ran out of money on the phone account and needs to add more? Perhaps he would have trouble calling if there are lots of other guys using the phone, because the phones are first come, first serve, and not all the phones work. I'm under the impression that the guys are not in their locks (cells) all the time, that they often have liberty to come and go to the bathrooms or the unit common room or use the phones.

If money is a problem for him, there is an option to set up a pre-paid account through Correctional Billing Services. Look under the PTO section on Michigan Prison Phones & Mail to find the phone number and website, and another thread shows the current rates since August 2008 (they used to be MUCH more expensive). It's a little cheaper for him to make calls with his debit card than to make collect calls through CBS, but if you want to set up a pre-paid account with CBS, there is a minimum $50 payment with a $6.95 fee every time you want to add money.

You're right - don't mail the visitor application directly to him. If you mailed it to MDOC at the RGC address, then I would mail a new one to MDOC at the MCF address. But if I were you, I would call first to check if they already have it - the MCF number is 231-773-3201 (you could try asking about phone calls, too). Most of the time when I've called the person answering has been polite and helpful. Once, though, the person on the other end of the line was rather abrupt, so don't take it personally if that happens. You can go online and print a new application if you need to. The MDOC website is www michigan.gov/corrections (I'm not able to post links). Find the FAQ section, and near the bottom is "How do I visit a prisoner?" You can print the visitor application and read the visiting standards. If you mail it again, make sure to include the self-addressed stamped envelope.

It will be okay - you're not alone in waiting, as you can see from the PTO site! I'm glad that your guy doesn't have very long to serve. Hang in there!

cawarshefski
03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you again. I do have a account set up already with CBS with 95.00 on it still, this is what he use to call me from when he was at RGC. Yest I guess the wait time is whats killing me. I have sent him cranky letters followed by crying and missing him letters. I dont know if he has gotton them as of yet but I havnt gotten nothing still. But I guess I will just have to stay calm and wait. I have checked out and read everything you mentioned. :) Very helpful answered alot of my question thanks a million. Welcome all new comers as well. And thank you everyone who understands in these hard times.

evenstar
03-09-2009, 06:46 AM
A couple more thoughts - if you haven't already, it might be a good idea to double-check with CBS that your phone didn't get blocked for some reason, even though you have plenty of money in your account.

Regarding visits: leave your cell phone in the car - it's not even permitted in the waiting area. It may not apply to you, but you can't have anybody waiting for you in the car, and you can't leave a pet out there either. Use the restroom before you go in (there is one in the waiting area - I try not to drink too much before I get there). Also, I saw one woman who wasn't permitted to go in until she had something besides spandex pants to wear. The first time you visit, the pat-down is a new experience, and you'll have to remove your shoes and socks (I usually wear slip-ons). I remember it made me feel like I was a criminal, but even the guards have to go through this when they come to work each day. The only thing you take in with you is your ID, the locker key provided, and if you want, coins for the snack/drink vending machines ($15 limit for 1 visitor) and a "picture ticket" (there are machines near the lockers for changing 1/5/10/20 dollar bills and buying a picture ticket, and they also provide ziplock bags to put your money in). The drive and hassle is more than worth it, though, to be able to hug him, hold his hand, sit together and talk in a relaxed way without a time limit. The view from the MCF visiting area is nice, with well-kept grass, gardens and large trees.

Finally, if you go visit on the weekend, be aware that the MCF staff shift change is at 2:00, so if you arrive around that time you may have to wait a little longer. I try to get there by 1:30 at the latest.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

cawarshefski
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Evenstar,
I am having a really hard time today. I still haven't hear a word from him it's only been 4 days and I am driving myself crazy. I write him 2-3 times a day. check the mail a few times a day and have my phone at my side on louad 24/7. I cant sleep at night and when I do finally fall asleep I keep waking us in the middle of the night. When he was at RGC his mom and I both sent our visitors list in. I sent mine to the MDOC and she sent her's to RGC. Well, she called me today and told me she got her's returned unopened. It said on the front of the envelope no such address return to sender. She swears the address is right. I ask her if she sent it directly to him and she said no his number and name was not even on the enevelope and they didn't open it.I haven't gotten mine back at all. I called MCF to see if it was approved and they said no one was on his list yet. I told them he had his phone list and his pin # approved when he was at RGC and if he can still make calls now. They told me he would have to have another pin and it shouldn't take to long. I ask if he can still write and they said o sure. I know he told me he had 8 stamps to take with him when he went over to MCF. I just dont understand why I havn't gotten a letter. He has been there sence Thursday. Thank you for listening to me just so upset I am going crazy.I just called CBS to check about a block and they said there was no block the last time someone tryed to call was on the 5th. I did get that call. So I just dont understand. Thanks and Sorry once again. I am just so glad someone it hear to talk to. :)

evenstar
03-10-2009, 06:54 AM
It sounds like you got some helpful information when you contacted MCF, which seems to explain why he hasn't been able to call you.
I would complete another visitor application and send it to the MCF address - that's what I did when I found out my dad would be transferred there from RGC - it needs to go to the facility where he will be receiving visits, and there is no visitation at RGC. Even if by chance the first one you sent to MDOC has already forwarded it to MCF, it can't hurt to send a new one. Make sure you list any nicknames under aliases - my aunt Dottie had to send a new application, because her name didn't exactly match the one on my dad's list (Dorothy vs. Dot). If you don't trust the US Postal Service, the application says it can be "mailed or delivered."

I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote you a letter the first day he arrived and it's still on its way to you- they call it snail mail for a reason!

The process is complicated to begin with, and it's particularly frustrating if you haven't gone through it before. And I know how hard it is to be patient right now. Make sure you take care of yourself - it won't help if you are literally sick with worry. Even if sleep is hard, you could try going for a walk, yoga, a bubble bath, a hot cup of tea, candles or whatever is relaxing for you. Hang in there - I really do believe you'll hear from him soon.

cawarshefski
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Well, for starters my bf's mom called me and said no mail, no calls again. She was crying, mad and drunk grrrrr:angry:She told me she called MCF and cused then out. She said she wanted to know if her son was alright and why she hasnt heard a word from him. They told her he was doing fine and they new she was upset. (more like drunk to me) they told her if it was a emergency they would let him call her. She said it was. A little while later he had some guy call his own mom(the guys mom) and had her call my bf's mom. This nice lady called on her cell phone my bf's mom while having her son on her home phone. My bf was right there too. This lady passed messages back and fourth between phones. My bf told his mom he was doing fine and he would call and write in a few days. He ask for me and his mom said i was still at work. He told her to tell me he loves and misses me very much and not to worry about him. She ask him why no letters he said he would explain in a few days.
Now, he told me before he left RGC that on his 2nd day at RGC he was 1 minute late from coming back from taking his meds and RGC wrote him a ticket. He said he lost all his privlages from march 9-12th. I am thinking the ticket went with him to MCF and he is doing his punishment now for it March 9th - march 12 (today March 10th). So I told his mom she was wrong for getting on them people. I just hope when I call to ask something they dont get upset with me.
I called today to check on my visitors app (still nothing). The lady was really nice to me. I told her I sent the app when he was at RGC and heard nothing in 3 weeks. She said well let me check something, she checked and said he dont even have a list here at MCF. She said RGC should have put his list and app in the system but did not. Like you, she said to print one out and send it to then MFC. So I printed another one and in the mail it goes in the morning. You have been a big help and thank you a million times over. You do relieve some of my stress just by having someone to talk to throught these hard times.
Thanks again evenstar.
P.s Is you dad still at MCF as well?

evenstar
03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you've been able to talk with kind, helpful people at MCF. I never tried getting angry and cussing them out, but I don't think that would help much! :-) They have rules and procedures to follow for everything. I think "emergency" is along the lines of a family member seriously injured and hospitalized or on their deathbed. At any rate, it sounds like you're going to have to wait a bit longer - if he will be able to write in a couple days, it still has to go through the USPS. I don't know much about tickets or privilege losses, so while I'm sure there is a reason why he hasn't been in direct contact yet, I don't know what it is. Often with a lack of information we can jump to the worst possible conclusions. You do know for sure that he has at least some physical liberty (he was near the phones), and more importantly, that he loves you and misses you as well.

It will likely take a couple weeks for MCF to process the visitor application and send notification back to you - plus it still sounds like he has to go through the visitor list procedures on his end. Be prepared to wait some more. Also regarding visitation, there is a 7-per month visit, and only 2 weekend visits. So you'll definitely want to coordinate with his mom - if you go in together it only counts as 1 visit. FYI - there are a number of PTO discussions about bathroom breaks you might want to look at. My understanding is you only get one, and if he needs to go, it needs to happen at the same time. Otherwise if you go out and come back in it will count as a separate visit.

My husband enlisted in the Marine Corps around the same time we got engaged, and while he was at boot camp, I didn't get a call from him for 2 months, and it was 4 month until I actually saw him. It was pretty awful for me. The few letters he was able to send were only a little comforting - they were obviously rushed and he didn't have time to say much more than he loved and missed me. And when he did call, it was short and cut off with, "There's a drill instructor standing here, and I have to go." I cried and felt so worried about what he was going through, wondering if he would be the same person I loved when they got done with him (he was - just in a lot better physical shape, with a new set of skills, including the ability to eat food at lightning speed). My husband has also dealt with his share of trouble and continues to be a great source of strength through this ordeal with my dad. I've found that l have become a stronger person because of what I have gone through, able to be more compassionate towards other people, certainly less judgmental.

My dad has been at MCF about 7 months now - prior to RGC he was at Oakland County Jail for a year because his trial kept being delayed. Procedures there were much worse, even though the drive was shorter for us. At OCJ they went to all video visitation - even prior to that there was never physical contact of any kind, we were always standing up and separated by plexiglass or a screen. Plus there was a 30 minute time limit. I had to wait a total of 15 months before I could give my dad a hug. General conditions are so much better at MCF compared to OCJ. As I said earlier, they normally have a degree of liberty to come and go from their locks - more like dorm rooms than metal bars you might imagine. Two guys (bunkies) to a lock, and each has a small window that can open a little for fresh air. The grounds are attractive and well-kept.

Just keep taking it one day at a time, and take good care of yourself. :-)

cawarshefski
03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
:thumbsup: Well I finally received 2 phone calls and a letter today. YAHOOOOOO Iam so excited :). He called me this morning at 8am. What a wounderful thig to wake up to. The sound of his voice just brought tears to my eyes. He said his pin took this long to get approved. Not long at all if I think about it. guess I was just being a big baby. He received some of my cranky letters but not all of them yet. (o no)he said I went out to left field on him in the letters he did get. I tryed to explain to him that I was upset but he wasn't hearing it, lol But after talking about everything I wrote to him it took up our whole phone call. So he called back and said ok baby, this phone call is all about how much I love and miss you now that we talked about all the mean things you said in your letters.awwwww he is so sweet and of course now I feel really bad. I told him I was sorry about a hundred time and he said its ok baby I know you were just worried. He is so understanding. he said he wrote me everyday sence he left RGC but was unable to mail them out until Tuesday. Due to his punishment like we talked about. So now all that is over with and the phone calls and letters should start pouring in. LOL :). Now I just have to wait until the visitors apps go through. I know now like you said a few weeks. I think I will get through that part now that the calls and letters are coming in. I just had to share this with you. Iam so excited. O ya and the calls only cost .12 cents a minute yahoooo. When he was here at the county the calls cost $8.50 for 15 minutes it was killing me. He said he still has not gotten any of my letters back that I sent to RGC. He thinks they are still in the property room. Thanks again for the support.

evenstar
03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
That's great! I was really excited when they changed the phone rates back in August, because they used to be that expensive (at OCJ I remember paying about $17 for a 15 minute call) - now you can talk a lot more often. Anyhow, it won't be as hard to wait until you can visit. Best of luck to you both.

cawarshefski
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Evenstar,
I just wanted to drop a line to you seeing you have been so much help to me. my Bf and I talk to eachother everyday on the phone. I still have not heard anything about my visiting app yet. The first one have been over a month now. I took a ride up to Muskegon just to prepare myself for when I can go visit. It took about 3 1/2 hours but it was nice to just get out and take a ride. I hope everything with your family and yourself take care.

evenstar
03-19-2009, 07:06 AM
I went back and checked - it took 3 weeks from the time I sent the visitor applications to MCF to when we got approval notification in the mail. When we went to visit 2 weeks later, our names still weren't in the computer system yet. We had the approval notification letter with us, though, otherwise it would have been a long, wasted trip (we live in Ohio - it's over 5 hours one way if we go straight there).

It can be a pretty drive, and now you don't have to worry about getting lost when you go visit. We might be heading up there ourselves this weekend. That's good you're able to talk to him so often - it really helps.

cawarshefski
03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Just woundering if anyone can help me on a question. I called MCF to check on my visiting app, when they answered the phone there was a recording that came on saying "this facility was conducting a mobilazition stiumlation" can anyone explain to me what this means? My bf calls me every morning about 7 or 7:30. He has still not called at all today and it is now 11:47. Should I be worried and is this something that is going on? Thank you for any information

Jacks_Tracy
03-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Just woundering if anyone can help me on a question. I called MCF to check on my visiting app, when they answered the phone there was a recording that came on saying "this facility was conducting a mobilazition stiumlation" can anyone explain to me what this means? My bf calls me every morning about 7 or 7:30. He has still not called at all today and it is now 11:47. Should I be worried and is this something that is going on? Thank you for any information

A mobilization simulation is just what it sounds like - its what you sometimes see out here referred to as a "mock emergency". They're simply doing a dry run of their procedures for emergencies. I outta know - my wedding was interrupted by one years ago!!!!

cawarshefski
04-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Thank you! I haven't been on here in a little while but I wanted to stop by to see how everyone was doing. I have went to visit my baby once and in 10 days going again. :) Has anyone been to seen their loved one in MCF lately? Hope all is well.

Nine
04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I was at MCF this last Saturday

evenstar
04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
I was last up to visit at the end of March. My dad said they're renegotiating the telephone contract (I assume this would affect all MDOC facilities). Let's pray that they get the same contract again, or the rates will likely go up. :(

cawarshefski
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Just woundering how everybody has been doing at MCF?

evenstar
06-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Is anybody else worried about the MCF closure announcement? I'm not sure what to expect. Even though it's a long drive, it could be worse, and MCF has some nice features - my dad is involved in the horticulture program, and the mature trees and flowerbeds are really nice.

cawarshefski
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Is anybody else worried about the MCF closure announcement? I'm not sure what to expect. Even though it's a long drive, it could be worse, and MCF has some nice features - my dad is involved in the horticulture program, and the mature trees and flowerbeds are really nice.
On our local news channel 4 at 11pm tonight they are going to speak of the prison closures. I am hoping I am able to stay up to see if there will be any new news on it. If anything new I will post here. Lets just keep praying for the best.

troys wifey
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
is anyone going to muskegon this week? if so i need a ride.... thank you

RAJustice
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Two units empty.... lots of the guys sent to Handlon.

evenstar
12-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Yes - my dad went to Handlon.

JUDEFAC
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Muskegon Correctional Facility won’t be closing soon after all.

The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections announced Monday afternoon it will send approximately 1,300 inmates to the Muskegon prison by early February at the latest — enough to fill the prison, and soon enough to keep its doors open in the meantime.

The move will save possibly hundreds of jobs in Muskegon, otherwise slated for elimination early in 2010. The Michigan Department of Corrections earlier this year announced plans to close the Muskegon prison.

“There were going to be layoffs in Muskegon, so this is huge,” Tom Tylutki, president of the Michigan Corrections Organization, told The Muskegon Chronicle. MCO is the union representing prison corrections officers.

Pennsylvania prison system spokeswoman Sue McNaughton said Monday that within two months the inmates will be shipped to MCF and the Green Rock Correctional Center in Chatham, Va.

Pennsylvania will be paying those states $62 per prisoner per day.

Inmates will be selected if they get relatively few visits, have no medical or mental-health issues and at least three years left on their sentences.

SMK52
12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2009/12/pennsylvania_sending_1300_inma.html

sisnik
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
All I can say is wow....?

sisnik

KAINZ
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
hi ya'll, i'm in need of some help... as i'm sure you heard PA wants/is sending inmates to MI because PA is over crowded!!!! well low and be hold mines might be moving... so i need info on the daily life of an inmate at Muskegon... all help needed!!!! from comminsarey prices, to how much do they make if working, are there free weights to work out.... thank you thank you ....suni

sisnik
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
hi ya'll, i'm in need of some help... as i'm sure you heard PA wants/is sending inmates to MI because PA is over crowded!!!! well low and be hold mines might be moving... so i need info on the daily life of an inmate at Muskegon... all help needed!!!! from comminsarey prices, to how much do they make if working, are there free weights to work out.... thank you thank you ....suni

Well my bf is in one of the facilities in Muskegon and its ok. Of course you know if they work its only like maybe .70/day or something like that. They take classes and attend classes for drugs, alcohol, and abuse if they have been assigned to do so and some of the inmates attend educational classes. Like I said it depends on which facility they are at because that determines which programs are available to them. Good luck to you!

sisnik

KAINZ
02-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Ok.. All the programs are good, .70 a day for work not bad, now.... About cable tv- who pays?
Free weights?
Single or double cels?
Comminssary who does it?

Come on ladies anyone got some answers for me!!!!

Sisnik- thanks alot but all the pa paperwork say muskegon correctional facility.... Is there more than one?

RAJustice
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Ok.. All the programs are good, .70 a day for work not bad, now.... About cable tv- who pays?
Free weights?
Single or double cels?
Comminssary who does it?

Sisnik- thanks alot but all the pa paperwork say muskegon correctional facility.... Is there more than one?

First - there may be rules for the Penn guys that do not apply to MI guys.

But I know that facility has a large yard area and a sports equipment building. Not sure about free weights but most of our prisons do have them.

I believe Muskegon Correctional is double bunked. 6 blocks, 260 guys to a block, 2 to a room.

Our guys are given a store list to order from and catalogs to order clothing and boots from. The state issue clothing is crappy and wears out quickly so we send money through jpay.com so they can buy sweats and underwear.

The TV's ($145.00 or so) are ordered the same way boots are and the cable is paid for through the inmate benefit fund. The inmate benefit fund money comes from a cut of the store order and vending machine sales.

If you dicide to come to Michigan to visit you can have a map and a visitor's guide mailed to you free of charge from michigan.org. There is a reasonably priced water and roller coaster park (Michigan Adventure) near Muskegon if you have to bribe kids to come along and behave:thumbsup:

RAJustice
02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I just want to say that I'm sorry that you aren't getting to know our state in better circumstances. Times are hard here right now but Michigan is still a beautiful state. The Muskegon area has huge beautiful beaches, bicycle paths and Museums. It's a darn shame that you will always associate it with that far from home prison.

sisnik
02-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Free weights?
Single or double cels?
Comminssary who does it?

Hey there you are welcome. Yea there is two more, Brooks and Shoreline. The inmates coming to michigan will be at MCF like you said.

Commissary comes every other week I believe and they put in their own orders. There should be a weight pit, and yard time for them to get fresh air, but how they will run the facility Im not sure. Also whrn I go to Muskegon to visit my bf, I stay in the Red Roof Inn which is about 10-15 min away from the Muskegon facilities. Hope this helps!

sisnik

godisawesome
02-17-2010, 01:26 PM
i did hear the guys coming in from penns. will not have visiting i heard this last week

RAJustice
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
i did hear the guys coming in from penns. will not have visiting i heard this last week

I checked on this and so far nothing has been decided. Some of the inmates have family who live in MI who are already asking to be allowed to visit. There is also a rumor about setting up teleconference/video style visiting so the families can see thier loved ones on a TV or computer screen.

The facility does have a weight pit.

Michigan offers kosher meals but Penn does not so no kosher meals will be available to the Penn guys.

RAJustice
02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Heard that the first bus load was suppose to arrive at supper time today. It's 9:30 pm now so I bet they are still busy, busy, busy getting settled in.

sisnik
02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
I wonder if the guys are here from Pennsylvania. I hope everything goes real smooth for them and don't get hassled by the officers.

sisnik

sucker4mylove
05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
is there anyone here but me with a loved one in muskegon who belongs in pa?

RAJustice
05-15-2010, 04:50 AM

The whole site has been pretty quiet lately. Just a few regulars checking in from time to time.

MissSunny
05-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, Me!!! And I visited for the 1st time last weekend. It was okay, the female Co was irritating but other than that everything was cool.

sucker4mylove
05-15-2010, 06:35 PM
miss sunny,

what does your guy have to say about the place? food decent or awful? amount of tension, fights, etc? i am so darn worried, because nobody but you has been there to see!

my love is very unhappy with the tiny cells. (he was in a newer prison in PA with a MUCH bigger cell). he has almost no privacy to write to me. he says many inmates get loads of monetary support from home, and do not care about the infrequent, expensive commisary or the pitifully-paid jobs.

anything you can tell me would be great. did you fly up there or drive?

s.daymk
09-30-2010, 07:09 AM
My Boyfriend was just transfered there over the weekend. I am constantly on the internet trying to figure more things out.

I am already planning for my first visit in a couple of months. For now we will just settle with having the Virtual Visits twice a month

bobble60
10-21-2010, 09:20 PM
The Pennsylvania Prison Society is sending a delegation to tour the facility, meet with staff and meet with inmates. We've scheduled this for mid-December. In preparation, I could use two forms of help:

1. For families of PA men housed there, let me know what issues you've heard about that bear a look while we're there.

2. For MI members familiar with Muskegon, I'd like to know about the place. It'd be helpful to know someone in the Grand Rapids or Muskegon area while we're in town.

Many thanks.

LeaAnn
08-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Wow! I was just reading and wondered when the Pennsylvania inmates were there and now I know. I've been told it has been open to Michigan inmates for about a year now. I visited a friend there before the PA inmates were put in there and now wonder when they left? Now my fiance is housed there, but so far he seems to like it there okay and that's good too.