View Full Version : *the Hole* (Can inmates in SVSP still send/receive mail?)

TAYLORS GIRL209
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
INMATES CANT WRITE OR RECEIVE LETTERS IF THEY ARE IN THE HOLE? :confused: I THOUGHT THEY COULD BUT NOW IM NOT SURE...

waitingforhim19
03-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure how it works in California but in Washington they can write and recieve mail. My fiance was in the hole for 84 days and he was able to write to me. I hope that you find the answer you need. Good luck and God bless you!

shadowjack69
03-01-2006, 07:28 AM
I have never heard of mail being denied in seg ("the hole") ... Phone yes...canteen yes (except for hygine items) mail- never. at least in NC that is the way...

jimbo111
03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
In NY mail is allowed

----Added----

For some reason this note posted itself three times. Don't know why. When I was typing it the screen kept refreshing for no reason and didn't see that it was posting.

JKB's Girl
03-01-2006, 08:49 AM
In Oklahoma mail is not stopped during a stay in segregation. In fact, it is in their policies and procedures that mail is a "right" of the inmate. I would suggest looking up the corrections website of your state and researching what rights they have. Good luck, and I hope his stay in the hole is short lived.

Ruddsgrl1
03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
could make calls and get/receive mail too at least here in Arizona it was okay.

Ruddsgrl1

butchies_girl
03-01-2006, 10:30 AM
they cannot take away their mail period! it is unconstitutional but everything else yes

honeyg
03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm in Oregon and my man is currently in the hole. He can send and receive mail.

TAYLORS GIRL209
03-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Thank you for the info. I was just wondering because I wrote him about 2 weeks ago but haven't received a letter from him yet so I thought maybe if he's in the hole he can't get or send out letters, but sounds like he'd be o.k. to do that. I guess the mail room in Salinas Valley State Prison is just backed up. I hate when that happens!!!

BlessedLady35
03-02-2006, 12:42 AM
So do in Cali..they can't hold your mail if you are in the hole???

HardHeadedWoman
03-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Yes it is more than likely a slow mailroom. i have a penpal in salinas valley and it has taken up to a month for him to recieve my letters or his to me. i have never encountered such a bad mailroom as salinas.

HardHeadedWoman
03-02-2006, 01:27 AM
oh and i forgot my pal is in the hole and has been for quite some time and he can send mail and get mine. its just a matter of when they want to give and send

robs_angel
03-02-2006, 06:54 AM
They cant take his mail rights, but if he is out of stamps or writing supplies, they might not get him any. Hope you hear from him soon!

Retired-24
03-02-2006, 07:54 AM
In Ohio where mine is...they are infact still able to get mail. Phone calls..NO. In fact where he is once they are put in the "hole" they are furnished with paper and a pen at least that is what his case manager informed me. I was told by someone on here they are expected to receive "1 courtsey phone call" but that is not accurate information for Ohio. Your best bet is to call the prison and ask and or look up DOC policies for his state. Good luck and I hope ya get letters!!!! I'll do a mail dance for ya!

~Bella~

TAYLORS GIRL209
03-03-2006, 11:59 PM
A month sometimes to get a letter! That's so frustrating! I have been calling the S.V.S.P mail room since last week, one day I called 4 times and not a single person answers that phone! I hate this, every time I go to my mail box I'm hoping there's a letter in there but there hasn't yet. Hopefully soon though.

tfine
03-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Well, here in Florida, they not only withheld his mail for the 60 days he was in the hole, but he also lost all mail privledges for 180 days (which was reduced to 60). So they can and do hold mail...at least here in the Sunshine state.

mrshubby01
03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
My husband was in the hole for ten months we always sent letters back and forth..

Pinky99
03-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I am moving this thread to the SVSP sub forum, since your loved one is incarcerated there.

To answer your question, yes inmates who are in the hole (Ad/Seg) can still receive and send out mail.

TheGeneralsWife
03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
They can write and send mail while they are in the hole. If they are out os writing materials they can still get indigent mail supplies. However, Claudia, your man is NOT in the hole, so don't worry about that. I think that they are giving Whites a hard go of it there right now, since it was a White guy on C yard that stabbed the police back in July.