View Full Version : Visitation at Kent Institution in BC

Student Writer
02-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Hello!

I'm a journalism student at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada.

I'm working on a class assignment -- a story about vistor safety in local prisons -- and I'd like to talk to anyone who visits Kent Institution on a regular basis.

If you're willing, I'd like to interview you about what it's like to visit someone in Kent, and what you think about visitor safety.... In 1993 a woman was killed by her husband during a conjugal visit at Kent, and in 2003, another woman was stabbed numerous times by her husband during a family visit. For my assignment, I'm looking at whether Kent should increase safety measures, or if these two incidents are just coincedence. I don't know what it's like to visit Kent so it would really help me out if someone could give me the straight goods on visitor safety and visitation at the prison.

I'll be checking this thread, but if you want to e-mail me, (email removed, please pm member to contact)
If you talk to me, we can discuss how you want to be interviewed. My ideal situation would be to get your name and be able to quote you in my story/assignment (on the record), but I realize this is a tough subject, so we can talk about anonymity too.... Don't worry, I won't use names or comments for my assignment unless I expressly have your permission. I'm willing to offer anonymity for honest information to help me sort this out!

Thanks very much!
Glenda (aka Student Writer)

witchlinblue
02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists or Members of the Media:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones.

We will, occasionally, allow the media to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, or media outlet.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report. Communication with members of the media is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.

Student Writer
02-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi.

I just wanted to emphasize that I don't need to know your name or your loved one's name.... I'd just like to talk/email with someone who visits Kent. It's for a journalism class story.

Thanks, and please feel free to reply!

Student Writer :)

Student Writer
02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Sorry... one more thing...

I realize there's lots of really great aspects about family visits, and I'd love to talk about that too. I've been talking to a lot of "official" people, so it would be nice to get a story about why family visits are really important. I don't know if safety is a concern, but from what I've been reading here, I don't think it is as much anymore. But it would be great if someone could tell me that who visits at Kent :) (Totally anonymous...)

All the best,
Student Writer

lindafpf
05-12-2006, 01:32 AM
I visit my son Pat at Kent periodically. If you are still interested in talking to somebody, I wouldn't mind