View Full Version : On parole, can they get a drivers license?

Manzanita
02-26-2006, 06:20 PM
My husbands case has nothing to do with drinking or a car, and he never had a drivers license, but does want one when he gets out. He seems to think they won't let him at the begining, is this true? Daneeboy do you know?

thanks!

lilluv117
02-26-2006, 06:30 PM
My husband was on parole and it was in his stipulations that he could not drive but he was still able to get his drivers license. (He never had one befor either). It seems that in NY the DMV is not connected to the department of parole or corrections or whatever. He did everything just as he would have if he was not on parole. He first got his permit, then scheduled his road test, then got his license. So from our experience, it is possible, even though it may not be such a good idea if part of his stipulations is not to have one. (I think my husband's stipulation was not to drive). You can also get permission from your PO if your job requires you to drive. The only thing is that you can only drive during your work hours.

Oh, and my husband's case was a drug case. It looks like in all drug cases you cannot drive as part of your parole agreement... In many other cases you can though. My friend was upstate for robbery and he was allowed to drive as part of his parole.

Danee Boy
02-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Due to the fact my crime was car related, I wasn't allowed to drive any kind of motor veichle (even a ride-on lawn mower LOL). Anyhow my conditions stated that I couldn't even have a drivers license only a non driver ID.

The conditions aren't set in stone, once you get home and meet with your PO he/she set the guidelines, my PO told me not to worry about over half of my conditions.

As for the license, when my revokation was finally up; I told my PO and she let me apply for reinstatement. So far, she hasn't put on restrictions on when and where I can drive.

I'd have your man ask his PO once he gets settled in.

Ronnie
02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
When my brother in law came home last year he could not drive for 6 months. After the 6 months he was able to get his drivers license.

Manzanita
02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks to all of you! :) He seems to think he is not able to get one, but I do hope he can get a non-drivers, this is one of the first things we want to do.

my friends husband was allowed to drive right away, he even bought a car right away. My husband said that is because he had it before he went in.

I guess we will have to have lots of patience with things....

Patty
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I can only speak for our experience. We are in Illinois. My man did not have a vehicle related crime and he was able to get his license right away.

Patty

Danee Boy
02-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Mrs.G woops.. Jen :)

To get a non-drivers ID he'll need. His parolee (release) ID, parole conditions (legal size green paper he gets at release) birth certificate, and social security card.

The DMV doesn't accept Jail ID's as photo ID after 2002, I had to argure the point a little bit. The whole point of a release ID is to have a photo ID until you can a state issused one.

One DMV office I went to gave me the run around, I went different office and just showed the papers I mentioned above and recieved a temp with 5 minutes.

Manzanita
02-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks Danee boy, that helps. ;)

lilluv117
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
You probably won't want to risk this but my husband just went with his birth certificate and passport and whatever else he needed that would count as "points" for his license - and they never even knew he was on parole. He got his permit first and then his license. It wasn't connected with the parole board at all. He wasn't supposed to have a license or drive under his stipulations but he was able to get one.

I personally would not want to risk it (and he will not be doing anything like that when he gets out), but just letting you know it is possible. :)

nycxshawn
07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
hi all im new to this forum and im being released sumtime in august date have my date yet. but the po went to my house already and told my brother that i cant have a driver's license..as i was saying i won't be able to have a drivers license til i do at least 6 months?..or is it still on my po to give me permission..my charge was a drug charge

lilluv117
07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
In most drug charges you won't be able to have your driver's license until you're done with parole. At least that is the experience my husband has had. For any felony your license is suspended for 6 months but I believe that for drug charges you can't have a license throughout all your parole. It will be in the stipulations for your release though so check there when you get them.

Also, Check with your PO but I think they may let you drive (with a valid license) if it is required for your job. Good luck.

PS - I'm just wondering how you're online? :) Or is someone writing this for you? Just curious. ;)

Zeremby
07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
First, I'll state this: I served 12 1/2 years in the NYS DOCS for Manslaugher in the 1st degree (which was a "drive by shooting" incident), I was released in February of '05. I had my NYS driver's license since March of '05. I am currently on parole.

So, definately, you can have a driver's license while on parole in NY, unless your parole officer directs otherwise.

I've also seen numerous other parolees get their driver's license while on parole. It is actually a foolish thing NOT to let a parolee get a driver's license since this can hinder his ability to obtain employment and make appointments, etc.

Also, for me I personally have a hard time adjusting to Public Transportation again :eek: .

Lonelyshelly
07-22-2007, 09:45 AM
yes of course, if his crime had nothing to do with him in a car. like dui or etc.

lovingjoe
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
ok, my husband is coming to NY in Dec and has had his licence revoked but is able to get it reinstated Aug 2009..yup time passed... in Virginia where hes from and hes going to be on parole here can he still get a NY licence and drive? do you go by va laws or ny laws???

barbie16118
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
u will go by NY laws ( he will be a resident of NY ) and him getting his license will depend on his parole officer. they do make exceptions from time to time.

rdesmond
11-22-2009, 05:41 PM
In NY, even if he had an existing license (they do not suspend or revoke just b/c you're in prison), parole will not allow you to drive right away no matter what the charge. They simply do not want problems. It doe snot matter what your circumstance or reason. Yes, if you pay the monthly 'fee,' and do what you're supposed to, you can get permission as soon as 6 months. I am aware of one case, sooner, but not much. It does vary by county, I'm guessing also, but they have had far too many problems before; that's why. They'll usually stipulate the extent of driving allowed also when they do allow it and it is a parole not DMV condition. So it's a simple matter of whether you take a chance and of you do and get caught; i.e. speeding ticket, accident, they see you, it is a parole violation. What they would do ranges greatly.