View Full Version : Telephone Information

California Sunshine
02-26-2006, 05:04 PM
TELEPHONE CALLS
(DC-ADM 818)

The inmate is permitted to make phone calls depending on his/her location and custody level. Currently, the inmate can only call you collect, so you will have to pay for the call. Find out what the rate per minute is to accept a call. Recently enacted legislation will permit another method of payment. The inmate will have a choice of calling collect or prepaying for his/her calls by taking the money from his/her account. The inmate will still not be able to use phone cards. The inmate is assigned specified hours for use of the telephone and are given a specified amount of time to talk.

It is against the rules for you to place a third party call when you are talking with the inmate. This is considered a misuse of the phone system. Misuse of the phone system or other violations of the rules may result in the inmate not being allowed to use the telephone.

Source: Handbook for the Families and Friends of Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Prison Inmates

http://www.cor.state.pa.us/portal/lib/bis/Handbook_for_Families_and_Friends.pdf

bobble60
02-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi.
Here, too, I must beg to differ. Pre-paid phone calls are allowed in most, if not all, the prisons. Inmates buy phone time (similar to the phone card concept). They then have the option of pre-paying or calling collect. The pre-pay rate is lower by a few cents. Phone cards can be bought or refilled for $15 to $50 at the commissary.
FYI: cell phones don't accept collect calls dialed directly to them, so pre-paid is the way to go there. They do accept collect calls forwarded from a landline, so long as the landline isn't blocked. (Which may explain why my cell phone rings so much ... :)
Regards,
bob

California Sunshine
02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Glad you have some info that is more up to date then what I have been using from the PDOC site! Thanks :)

bethbupp
02-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Cali,
You might want to read back through some of the old posts. I posted the following information on 12-21-04.
I was going through some old papers and ran across the Fall 2004 newsletter of PA-CURE (Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants). There is a handy chart in it that shows the difference between rates for debit cards and collect calls in the PADOC telephone system. People are always posting, asking about phone calls, so I thought it would be handy to have this info posted. The rates listed are for a 15 minute phone call. When there is a range, it says "Local calls vary by institution. IntraLATA call costs vary by institution and in some cases, by distance."

Local Calls Collect or Debit $1.70 to $2.20
IntraLATA (inside your part of PA) Collect or Debit $2.43 - $5.00
InterLATA (another part of PA) Collect $6.55 Debit $5.55
Interstate (calling another state) Collect $12.61 Debit $9.75
International Collect $44.15 Debit $38.00 An example of IntraLATA would be someone in SCI Fayette, Greensburg, Greene, or Pine Grove calling anywhere in the 412/724 area codes, or someone in SCI Forest, Rockview, Houtzdale, Cresson, Smithfield, Huntingdon, Laurel Highlands, Somerset, or Quehanna Boot Camp calling inside the 814 area code. An example of an InterLATA call would be someone at SCI Camp Hill calling anywhere OUTSIDE the 717 area code. To find out what is included in your LATA, you can go to http://www22.verizon.com/CallingArea...or/Default.htm (http://www22.verizon.com/CallingAreas/RegionalTollMapLocator/Default.htm)

California Sunshine
02-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks Bethbupp!

Keepin6
08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Well I live in Canada, and my bf is in Greene, so that would make it I don't know what kind of call, because here it's either long distance, or its not. LOL. Anyway, its eleven dollars and some change for a 15 minute call. Which sucks cuz my uncle is in the pen here, and for him to call me collect and we could talk for an hour and you are looking at about 10 bucks. LOL. The American prison phone system sucks. Costs me an arm and a leg

CelticFerret
10-23-2006, 04:51 PM
My question is- In order for the inmate to call you, collect or otherwise, do you have to be on their visiting list first? My mom was unsure of this and wants to talk to her grandson.

Many thanks.

CelticFerret

Princess737
10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
I'd think it's just the phone list, which has nothing to do with the visiting list? I know some facilities require you to be on the visiting list to send the inmate money. But I don't think that applies to the phone anywhere. Best way to find out is to call the prison and ask.

My question is- In order for the inmate to call you, collect or otherwise, do you have to be on their visiting list first? My mom was unsure of this and wants to talk to her grandson.

Many thanks.

CelticFerret

skglick
11-11-2006, 08:57 PM
I got a Vonage phone and we are now paying $2 per call instead of $7. Contact me for details - it's great! My phone bill went from $150 a month down to $16.97!!!:thumbsup:

Crissy26
11-19-2006, 02:54 PM
OKay even though I live in Canada, I am wondering since I have a friend who lives here from the states and his number is from Arizona ( Vonage ) can my finace who is in jail in OKlahoma call me on the vonage phone and can he buy a calling card at the jail and use that to call me on my American friends phone???? Cause I can't accept calls on my friends phone, I don't want to ask them to do that so instead I was thinking of either getting a calling card or having my fiance ( in jail ) get one if he can at the jail??? Is that possible?? Does anyone know????

Princess737
11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
If they allow them to use calling cards, it's only the ones they buy thru commisary. So, if he can buy them, and he adds your friend's number to his list (which takes a month in some prisons) then yeah, he'd be able to call that number. You could get Vonage with a US phone # too actually, or Skype or any of the others. I've heard other people saying they have and then used calling cards or set up a prepaid calling account with the company the prison uses.

OKay even though I live in Canada, I am wondering since I have a friend who lives here from the states and his number is from Arizona ( Vonage ) can my finace who is in jail in OKlahoma call me on the vonage phone and can he buy a calling card at the jail and use that to call me on my American friends phone???? Cause I can't accept calls on my friends phone, I don't want to ask them to do that so instead I was thinking of either getting a calling card or having my fiance ( in jail ) get one if he can at the jail??? Is that possible?? Does anyone know????

bobble60
11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi.

Pennsylvania inmates can call anywhere within the North American Calling Plan (NACP) which includes Canada, Puerto Rico and other places not inside the US. He handles this like any other phone number on his list.

bob

pmp310
11-24-2007, 08:11 AM
hello! My son was just moved to Camp hill. I live in NC. While he was incarcerated at the county prison, I had vonage with a local number to him, so his calls were much cheaper. Since I don't know how long he'll be at Camp Hill (he's serving 8.5-18 years), I was wondering if anyone has gotten an 800 number for their loved one to call? Or, would I be better off to get a local number to camp hill? Any ideas? thanks!

egs
11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
He may not stay at Camp Hill as this is where most prisoners go for classification and orientation into the State system. He could be there weeks or perhaps months before going to his "home" prison. Some do stay at Camp Hill as their assigned prison. You are better off waiting till he gets assigned to his prison placement before doing anything with phones. No 800 numbers allowed no matter where he is located.

tpcmom1231
12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
What if it's a county jail, in Phila., and we only live like 15 mins. away, would the bills be out the sky???? I'm so worried about my first bill. He has called me collect like on Thanksgiving, now this is the first time he's been locked up, and he called about 15 times that day, no joke. so I'm scared to death about what my bill is going to be like. he gets the 10 mins. free calls and still calls me collect.

Lenalynne
12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Hello: A collect call from CFCF cost app. $2.45 for 15 minutes. (I live about 5 minutes from CFCF, same zip code.

Joanne in Philly

sascee02
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know who the telephone provider if for camp hill pa? Im trying to set up an account with local123 but i need to know who camp hills provider is. Thanks

Warrior Wife
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I always call the facility, and keep asking questions until I "find" someone there who has answers!

xo,

WW

SupportingDavid
02-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Just wondering do you have to go through globaltellink or can you go through ITI? My fiancee is at Camp Hill for a month now and I am still waiting for a call. He said they haven't given him a pin yet to call. We were using ITI and I would prefer to go threw them again since I have an account set up with them! I hope the next prison he goes to for his home prison doesn't drag their feet like Camp Hill is.

his_queen20
02-28-2009, 11:55 AM
okay i have a question my fiance is in northampton county jail and i put money on my phone so he can call me but i put it on my cell phone but now that i know he cant call my cell phone do you think the phone company that the prison is with which is inmate telephone ( ITI bill pay). What should i do? but i have a friend and she says her man husband calls her on her cell phone ALL the time. so i am confused about this whole phone thing. I need help guys SOMONE PLEASE HELP ME... im kind of new to this :( :( :(

Waiting Wife
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Supporting David - you dont HAVE to go through Global UNLESS youre planning on having him call your cell from Camp Hill. I didnt have to set up and account with them because my hubby calls my home phone (I have Verizon) and it just gets billed seperately on my Verizon bill. He can also purchase a phone card from commissary and call you that way as well, you dont need to get up an account with GLOBAL unless hes calling you collect on your cell OR if your phone bill credit history is bad. I dont know how long it will be for him to get his PIN, my husband got both of his lists approved while he was awaiting transfer from Graterford TO Camp Hill to get classified, so his lists "followed" him there. I can tell you this though, when they DO call theyre only allowed to call once every 4 days and its only for 15 mins. It sucks but once he gets to his home prison it shouldnt be that bad, depending on his custody level. Hope this helps you out and good luck!

his_queen - I dont know why he wouldnt be able to call your cell phone if you put money on your account under that number. You might want to call ITI and see what the problem is. My hubby was called my cell through ITI when he was in county (he was in Berks County) and I had no problem whatsoever. If your home phone bill credit history is good (up to date paid, ect), he should be able to call you collect from county a few times before you would need to set up an account on that phone. My hubby was able to call our home phone the whole time he was at county without me having to set up an account with ITI, and the only reason I set up an account for my cell phone is if I wasnt home to answer the house phone, hed still be able to get in touch with me. I hope this helps!

pappa l
03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
i too have verizon but our line was blocked sunday march 1st. after several calls to gtl i was finally told that they no longer bill through verizon. one woman told me i had to fax a copy of my verizon bill in order to open an account with them. called back, another woman said she could open an account over the phone and my line would be unblocked in 24hrs. i of course selected that method but i doubt i'll be getting any calls soon.
pappa l
ps son is at sci chester

Waiting Wife
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info, I will have to check into that, I was supposed to receive a call over the weekend from my hubby and I never got one so maybe thats the reason. Hes in SCI Camp Hill. Again, thanks for the input!

missi1969
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Yep , my number was blocked too. My fiance is in chester and called home collect through my regular phone co. I always paid on time also. I called GTL a couple weeks ago and they told me they no longer bill through third parties and I have to open a prepay account with them if I want to continue to recieve calls.
I did and was given $100 credit. Through the third party billing the calls were $11 . Since I've started the pre pay account the my fiance has called 3 times and according to my balance the calls are now $16 each!! I 've tried to call GTL several times a day all week long and never reach anyone and their call back service never calls back. The area code that has come up the last three times my fiance has called is 713. This isn't a chester area code . It is an area code in Houston Texas and the automated system tells me now that my line is blocked again. I still have a balance of $36 on the prepay account too. If anyone else is having the same problem Let me know. I 'm not sure what to do about this as I am not able to get through to gtl at all. Also I would be interested in how much others pay for calls through gtl.
Thanks .

kare bear
03-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I used to have the same problems and we both decided it was cheaper to just have him get the phone cards. It runs the same and he can call my cell or the home phone. Plus it saves me from getting behind on my phone bill. Switched my cell number to his area code and they are cheaper.

Warrior Wife
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I used to have the same problems and we both decided it was cheaper to just have him get the phone cards. It runs the same and he can call my cell or the home phone. Plus it saves me from getting behind on my phone bill. Switched my cell number to his area code and they are cheaper.

We use phone cards too. It's makes it easier for us to keep the money we spend on calls under control. It's about $5.00 for a 15 minute call from SCI Greene to Philly. I budget a certain amount every month and put it on his books using Touchpay.

WW

missi1969
03-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know how they approve the phone lists. Since i am already approved on his phone list and have an out of state # (wv) .If he also puts me down with a local # for a cell will they question that?

JTsBabyGirl
03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know how they approve the phone lists. Since i am already approved on his phone list and have an out of state # (wv) .If he also puts me down with a local # for a cell will they question that?

No, they won't question it. When JT was in SCI Smithfield I had a cell phone with the area code for that area. When he moved to SCI Chester I got the number changed to the area code in that area. They don't question it, it's two different departments. The phone list and visit list have not connection.

Your're good! :thumbsup:

missi1969
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks JTs Baby, I'm going to try it. Our calls, since they are out of state are $12 each through GTL. Maybe if I can get a local area code in state and he gets a calling card they will be a little cheaper. If you have any other helpful info about chester , i'd be interested. He has only been there a couple weeks now and is still waiting on a bed in TC program. I'm hoping things will start moving along soon. Thanks again.

JTsBabyGirl
03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks JTs Baby, I'm going to try it. Our calls, since they are out of state are $12 each through GTL. Maybe if I can get a local area code in state and he gets a calling card they will be a little cheaper. If you have any other helpful info about chester , i'd be interested. He has only been there a couple weeks now and is still waiting on a bed in TC program. I'm hoping things will start moving along soon. Thanks again.

Missi-

I personally wouldn't deal with GTL. My advice for the phone, is to go and get a prepaid phone from WalMart or another store (I use AT&T) and when you set up the phone, give the company the Prison's address. They will give you a local number for that area. He'll have to get a phone card (they sell them for $15, $25, $50 plus tax) the cost for him is like $2.60 and for me it's like $1.60 for 15mins. However, what works for you is what's best.

As far as info on Chester.....you might be asking the wrong person (lol!) JT was at Smithfield for like 6 years before going to Chester-he moved there right before Christmas this year....and I have to tell you, they have their own way of doing things there. They have been the most diffitcult prison to work with . He was supposed to enter the Barber School program...but they decided that they didn't need to honor the transfer paperwork and told him that he has to do the Drug Program before entering the Barber School program. The worst part, is that JT has been down for 10 and (even though there isn't a "drug" problem) he has been through so many classes...so it's like the same thing over again.

I also find that the staff isn't as professional as they were at Smithfield. If you send a money order, always make sure you have delivery confirmation. The mail room has a way of "losing" things. I sent a money order last month and it was "lost" even though he got the other mail that it was with. So, I had to report it as "lost/stolen" and now I have to wait sixty days until I get it the money back. TouchPay is the best. Their rates are lower then JPay and it's credit to the account the same day.

If you visit....make sure you get there prior to count or after count (count is 3:30 and if you arrive at 3:15...more then likely you will have to wait 45mins until it's over. If they mess up....wish they do, often...they will have to start all over again. Week days are the best to visit...I try to go Fridays....if my work schedule allows....Saturdays are very crowed...Sundays' aren't as bad.

If you need any other information, let me know....:thumbsup:

kylee23
04-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Could someone please PM me with who i should report the phone system to i keep getting my calls cut off when the pa system comes on and ITI wont give me the credit because they say its the jail doing it.im sick of getting ripped off and i know there has to be a state office that watches over this?

Boopydooda22
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
My baby is in Grateford and its now 12 business days since we last spoke. I'm going bonkers. I called his counselor and asked when he'd be able to call. He said he should be able to call, he has his pin. I am pulling my hair out and I want to talk to my baby! This is pure torture. Does anyone know about Graterford, PA and how they run?

Boopydooda22
05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
:angry:My baby is in Grateford and its now 12 business days since we last spoke. I'm going bonkers. I called his counselor and asked when he'd be able to call. He said he should be able to call, he has his pin. I am pulling my hair out and I want to talk to my baby! This is pure torture. Does anyone know about Graterford, PA and how they run?

He finally called on the 27th from Camp hill. The call was only 3 minutes. God knows how long it will take him to call me now.

johnswifey08
05-02-2009, 05:21 AM
That call he made was because he was in intake, which usually is 10 days and then they are put on a block and then calls will be every 4 days. now he gets to the block and they just had there callin day he has to wait til the next calling day. they get one 15 min one call every 4 days.. it sucksss.. but get on a schedule so you know when to be home and get the call, and not be busy, those 15 mins go by soooo fast!!

South Bay
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Could someone please PM me with who i should report the phone system to i keep getting my calls cut off when the pa system comes on and ITI wont give me the credit because they say its the jail doing it.im sick of getting ripped off and i know there has to be a state office that watches over this?

File a complaint with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/filecomplaints.aspx).

South Bay

Boopydooda22
05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks, for the info, now I know I can count. He called me Saturday and today is day 4. Its already 9:30 pm and I haven't heard from him. Oh well, guess I got to be patient. Anyway, I called to confirm his visiting and its approved. I thanked the person because I told the person I was traveling so far and he asked my name and said I was good. Now I'm on my way in the am, with 3 hours to drive. I'm all nervous and excited at the same time. Anxious to see him. Wish me well! Hey, and thanks so much.:angry:

That call he made was because he was in intake, which usually is 10 days and then they are put on a block and then calls will be every 4 days. now he gets to the block and they just had there callin day he has to wait til the next calling day. they get one 15 min one call every 4 days.. it sucksss.. but get on a schedule so you know when to be home and get the call, and not be busy, those 15 mins go by soooo fast!!

Waiting Wife
05-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks, for the info, now I know I can count. He called me Saturday and today is day 4. Its already 9:30 pm and I haven't heard from him. Oh well, guess I got to be patient. Anyway, I called to confirm his visiting and its approved. I thanked the person because I told the person I was traveling so far and he asked my name and said I was good. Now I'm on my way in the am, with 3 hours to drive. I'm all nervous and excited at the same time. Anxious to see him. Wish me well! Hey, and thanks so much.:angry:

Dont worry if once in awhile his phone day comes up and you dont get a call, its happened to me a few times and usually its because something was wrong with the phones on the block or they got locked in early for whatever reason. I know there was even one time he had to hang out with me after only talking for 5 mins because they were all getting locked in because someone wasnt listening, so try not to worry. Youll probably hear from him on his next phone call day....and better yet youll be seeing him tomorrow:) GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT VISIT!!

johnswifey08
05-14-2009, 03:37 AM

your welcome ;) have a goood visit, let us know how it goes!! :D

Boopydooda22
05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Let at 5:30 am and got there about 8:00 that wasn't too bad. My visit was wonderful :D We talked for 5 hours that was so worth it especially coming a long way. I"M SO HAPPY! TODAY....:thumbsup:

your welcome ;) have a goood visit, let us know how it goes!! :D

tee1964
05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Let at 5:30 am and got there about 8:00 that wasn't too bad. My visit was wonderful :D We talked for 5 hours that was so worth it especially coming a long way. I"M SO HAPPY! TODAY....:thumbsup:

I am so happy for you. This whole thing has been my first experience with the judicial system and it has been a horrible one at that. We still have another 17 mos until he is eligible for parole. It's been a living nightmare from day one. My faith in our justice system has depleted to nothing. It stinks and I hope they never ask me to be on jury duty because I think it is all a crock as well. Anyway... you do learn patience although it is very very hard. I've been in this mess since the end of Oct. 2007. I am so glad your visit went well...it is such a bitter sweet time each time I go visit... the thought of him being in a brown jumpsuit and slip on slipper type shoes and the whole ordeal of going through what I call customs... LOL...is mortifying. But I am so happy to see him and I know he looks forward to the visits and you know the only positive really...is that we have grown so close through all of this... he realizes I'm there no matter what.
good luck to you and your loved one. write if you need any thing or just to vent.

Boopydooda22
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure what goes on in there, but I asked him why he didn't call on Wed, he said I guess they didn't let him and the guard told him oh you missed your phone call. He said he was going to call me on Saturday but he didn't call today either. I'm just a little concerned. Do they have set days they can make phone calls. :o

Dont worry if once in awhile his phone day comes up and you dont get a call, its happened to me a few times and usually its because something was wrong with the phones on the block or they got locked in early for whatever reason. I know there was even one time he had to hang out with me after only talking for 5 mins because they were all getting locked in because someone wasnt listening, so try not to worry. Youll probably hear from him on his next phone call day....and better yet youll be seeing him tomorrow:) GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT VISIT!!

Waiting Wife
05-16-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure what goes on in there, but I asked him why he didn't call on Wed, he said I guess they didn't let him and the guard told him oh you missed your phone call. He said he was going to call me on Saturday but he didn't call today either. I'm just a little concerned. Do they have set days they can make phone calls. :o

They can call every four days, my husband usually calls in the evening. If his day to make a phone call was Wednesday this week his next opportunity to call you would be Sunday....then again on Thursday...and so on and so forth. The cycle can get screwed up if they move him to a different cell, each block has their on phone cycle, but its always every four days. He will get settled into a routine shortly Im sure and youll start hearing from him on a regular basis. My hubby is on K block, A side, and had his phone call tonight so I wont hear from him again until Wednesday night. Let me know if you have any other questions, Im here for ya!

Boopydooda22
05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks girl, yes he did call me on Sunday. Boy was I happy. He should be calling me this morning. I'll be going to see him again tomorrow. I just can't wait. Hey, my man is in K block too. he's in section b level 2.

They can call every four days, my husband usually calls in the evening. If his day to make a phone call was Wednesday this week his next opportunity to call you would be Sunday....then again on Thursday...and so on and so forth. The cycle can get screwed up if they move him to a different cell, each block has their on phone cycle, but its always every four days. He will get settled into a routine shortly Im sure and youll start hearing from him on a regular basis. My hubby is on K block, A side, and had his phone call tonight so I wont hear from him again until Wednesday night. Let me know if you have any other questions, Im here for ya!

heavyhitter
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Ok can someone tell me this. My boy is in washington co. and I am in Dallas tx. If I set up an iti account will he know this and call me? I doubt he knows the number cause it is in his cell. If I lost my cell I would not know a single number. I trying figure this out. I dont want to waste my time setting it up and then he has no idea I opened it for him. He got locked up this weekend and I want to contact him.

coaltownship01
03-13-2010, 07:13 PM
We live 2 hours away from SCI Coal Township. We bought a Magic Jack web phone service for $19.99 per year. We set up the Magic Jack with a Sunbury, PA number area code 570, 809 exchange. Now he can call us like a local call from SCI Coal Township for $1.69 per 15 minutes. When he called collect, the call would be over $6.00 per 15 minutes. I hope this helps some of you out there with large phone bills.

codewarrior2007
07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm such a dumbass when it comes to land line phones, since I am a huge supporter of eliminating them in favor of cell phones.

I recently setup a phone number in the 814 area code with a prefix in Tyrone, PA. He is locked up at SCI Huntingdon. Would that call be considered local or InterLATA? The call appears to cross 1 county line, but is only 20 miles away.

Thanks!

bobble60
07-17-2010, 08:34 AM
It's probably within the local calling area. GTL doesn't distinguish with the area codes. I pay the same rate for calls from any prison within my area code, and also the same rate for calls from any prisons outside it. ($1.65 and $6.25, respectively.)

Luqa
01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Hello, Im new here my husband is currently incarcerted at Montgomery County Correctional Facility, and I opened an account for phone calls with ITI, I was wondering why when he calls me the recorded message says you have a collect call? Shouldnt it say a prepaid call? I check my balance after our phone calls and the money is being used, but I want to know will I see charges on my phone bill as well?

stevesmom66
01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Hello, Im new here my husband is currently incarcerted at Montgomery County Correctional Facility, and I opened an account for phone calls with ITI, I was wondering why when he calls me the recorded message says you have a collect call? Shouldnt it say a prepaid call? I check my balance after our phone calls and the money is being used, but I want to know will I see charges on my phone bill as well?
No there will not be any additional charges on your phone bill. It's just the greeting the computer generates

Luqa
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
No there will not be any additional charges on your phone bill. It's just the greeting the computer generates

Thankyou for your response, that's a relief to know:thumbsup:

imtheonefolks
02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
my husband is in the federal jail in lewisburg and they just got emails and phone calls back now i have verizon home phone service im tryna to find out do i have to set up for a prepaid service or will he be able to call collect straight through my brother is in jail in jersey and hes able to call collect
can someone let me know a.s.a.p if they know anything

bobble60
02-13-2011, 10:30 AM
You might try posting this question in the Federal Forum.

questionary
05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I have question : If my friend use phone card I have to set up my cell phone? ( I used verison ) Do they have any charge for my phone bill if he use phone card?

msonlydabest
05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
No need to set up your phone if they are using a phone card

sarkisk
10-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi.
Here, too, I must beg to differ. Pre-paid phone calls are allowed in most, if not all, the prisons. Inmates buy phone time (similar to the phone card concept). They then have the option of pre-paying or calling collect. The pre-pay rate is lower by a few cents. Phone cards can be bought or refilled for $15 to $50 at the commissary.
FYI: cell phones don't accept collect calls dialed directly to them, so pre-paid is the way to go there. They do accept collect calls forwarded from a landline, so long as the landline isn't blocked. (Which may explain why my cell phone rings so much ... :)
Regards,
bob

For unknown reasons, my home phone is not receiving collect calls. My phone service assures me that I have no blocks on my phone. Apparently, it is the prison's phone provider. I like to find out which phone carrier provides services to SCI-Somerset, Somerset, PA. Can you assist me in obtaining this information? You may e-mail me at (Personal (sarkisk@verizon.net) e-mail address removed per PTO policy. Please PM member.) with your answer. Thank you in adavance for your assistance.

bobble60
11-05-2011, 07:38 PM
All PA state institutions are served by Global Tel*Link. If you have not yet set up an account with them, attempted collect calls won't go through. Their published customer service phone numbers are 800-388-7346 and 800-231-0193.

borkenpromises
05-18-2012, 05:57 PM
My husband just got transfered to Graterford. I have only dealt with County Prison in the past..this is his first "state prison". I know I can set up money onJPay. Is that how he will make prepaid calls to me? I live in Delaware County..anyone know the appox cost per minute. Maybe it would be cheaper for me to get a cell with his area code?? DECISIONS DECISIONS

borkenpromises
05-20-2012, 05:59 AM
My husgand just got to Graterford 2 days ago from County. County said his money on his books would follow him. How long till he can call me??? I also put money on JPAY for him to use the phone,

hizgirl6469
05-27-2012, 04:23 AM
My husband just got transfered to Graterford. I have only dealt with County Prison in the past..this is his first "state prison". I know I can set up money onJPay. Is that how he will make prepaid calls to me? I live in Delaware County..anyone know the appox cost per minute. Maybe it would be cheaper for me to get a cell with his area code?? DECISIONS DECISIONS

I had used a cell phone with my best friends prison area code and he was able to call it. Was cheaper that way. However, I HATE how they sound, so I prefer land line. I heard and just set up a Google account for phone calls, they say they can call those numbers as well, set it up to his prisons area code. I just did this last night, will be sending him that number as well to try. GTL they say is also a good reasonable option. I too am kind of new to this phone call crap. I was use to just sending him money and he calling straight thru, however, that costs like 5ish bux for 15 crappy minutes. Trying all the cheap route now, lol. I will figure it all out by the time he is released!! lol

Best of wishes!!

christik999
05-27-2012, 09:50 AM
I had used a cell phone with my best friends prison area code and he was able to call it. Was cheaper that way. However, I HATE how they sound, so I prefer land line. I heard and just set up a Google account for phone calls, they say they can call those numbers as well, set it up to his prisons area code. I just did this last night, will be sending him that number as well to try. GTL they say is also a good reasonable option. I too am kind of new to this phone call crap. I was use to just sending him money and he calling straight thru, however, that costs like 5ish bux for 15 crappy minutes. Trying all the cheap route now, lol. I will figure it all out by the time he is released!! lol

Best of wishes!!
ichanged my cell nuber to the prisons areacode, our call went from five bucks to like 1.xx something each . he buys phone cards and just calls my number . been doing it that way 3 yrs . never had a gtl account. but my phone is clear as day . maybe there prison phones are crappy or you cell service sucks ???

Wolf9785
07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I set up a google phone # to save money on calls from Mercer to Delaware. $3.50 as opposed to $12. He finally got the number added, called me once and it was shut off. He told me everyone else using google phone numbers got shut off too. Why do they give a F@ck how an inmate calls his loved ones ??? Crooked MFers !:angry:

bobble60
07-22-2012, 07:48 AM
They "care" because the DOC has an agreement with GTL. Part of that contract is that the DOC will do its best to make sure no one circumvents the GTL rate schedule, which Google Voice does. The DOC's incentive for this cooperation is that GTL pays a percentage of each call back to the IGWF of the prison.

We're stuck with this until legislators take action to eliminate the "kickback" scheme, after which the DOC will shop the cheapest provider.

amjf
02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
My husband was transferred from the county to SCI Pittsburgh. He tried to call once I guess the initial intake call. It didn't go through. I've since set up my phone account any idea when they will allow him to place another call? He will be there a week tomorrow. Or is it possible I won't talk to him until he moves to Camp Hill for classification? Thanks for any info.

MistingRiver68
02-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Im am in Erie ,Pa. and hes in Erie county prison I am going through Securus right now, is there a cheaper one? i saw on a website for

jailcallservices.com

and they have this advertised (Regularly $45) SALE $29
UNLIMITED Minutes

is this good?:confused:

bobble60
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
More like "too good to be true."

himes348
11-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Help!!! I live in the outskirts of Pittsburgh and my boyfriend was transferred from Allegheny County Jail to Renewal. Renewal uses a different phone company (NCIC Inmate Telephone Services) from the jail and the calls are very expensive. I live 15 minutes top from Renewal and last night the phone calls were 8.50. I could see if I was in a different area code or it was long distance but it's not. My boyfriend calls me a lot, at least 8-12 times a day, which I love hearing from him! Can someone help me out with a cheaper solution? :)

bobble60
12-01-2013, 08:20 AM
If you already have a number which is local to the facility, then the rate can't get any lower. (I had the same problem when men and women are transferred to halfway houses in Philadelphia ... $15 for 15 minutes.)

Some halfway house residents are allowed to have cell phones. He should ask Renewal. Otherwise, it would be cheaper for him to leave the center and find a pay phone.