View Full Version : 13 years old, Life in Prison

andreamae05
02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Tyler Edmonds was 13 years old when he was arrested and received a life sentence. Tyler had no previous discipline record and was an honor student at his school. Since incarcerated, he has not been in trouble AT ALL and has schooled himself and recieved his GED. He'll be taking the ACT soon. He confessed to a crime to protect his big sister and recanted soon after. To this day he maintains that his sister committed the crime he is incarcerated for. She has been arrested but not tried for the crime as of yet. If the state keeps railroading this boy, he will spend the rest of his life in prison. Please take the time to sign his petition.

Obviously most people in this forum has had an encounter with our so called juvenile "justice" system. This system needs some major adjustments. Firstly, it is cruel and unusual punishment to put any child in an adult prison and try them as if they were 10-20 years older and more mature. We must all work together to ensure that this horrible treatment of children and teenagers will END.

andreamae05
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I forgot to link the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/986048956?ltl=1140475985

litilady
02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
i have a question not being one who has dealt with the juvinile system.
a child sentenced to lwop does he really go to an adult prison. i mean come on where is the safety in that. the men and women in adult prisons can do major harm to a child. or does he go to a juvinile facility until he is older.
i have signed the petition i don't believe anyone especially a child should recive lwop. he is tooo young to understand the consequences. poor child.

andreamae05
02-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Thank you so much for signing. Tyler did not receive LWOP, but he cannot get parole until age 65 which is basically a living death sentence. All juveniles are held in juvenile facilities until age 18-21 HOWEVER they ARE housed in adult jails while they are awaiting trial. You're right, it is very dangerous. Children in these jails are at a much higher risk for physical and sexual abuse.

litilady
02-20-2006, 10:34 PM
the justice should work that if you are given a lwop at 13 then that is how many years he spends locked up. i mean that would be a life sentence to a 13 year old. if you know what i mean. that poor kid he dosent even know who he is yet.

andreamae05
02-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Tyler is 16 now and he's a miraculous gift to anyone who knows him. He never gets in trouble, strives to do so well in school, and he is a loving person. We WILL get him home. During our visit last Sunday an officer left her work to come and introduce herself to his mother and I just to tell us "Whats next for his case, Supreme Court? Good, get him out. He doesn't belong in here!"

HardHeadedWoman
02-21-2006, 01:38 AM
i signed the petition already and hope he gets to come home! what is the government thinking! the poor kids balls aint even dropped yet and they want to treat him like a man. makes me sick! good luck on getting him out one day and keep us posted about the tylers law!

Tia1223
02-21-2006, 02:25 AM
This whole thing makes me sick. I'll gladly sign!

Texasfem
02-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Tyler Edmonds was 13 years old when he was arrested and received a life sentence. Tyler had no previous discipline record and was an honor student at his school. Since incarcerated, he has not been in trouble AT ALL and has schooled himself and recieved his GED. He'll be taking the ACT soon. He confessed to a crime to protect his big sister and recanted soon after. To this day he maintains that his sister committed the crime he is incarcerated for. She has been arrested but not tried for the crime as of yet. If the state keeps railroading this boy, he will spend the rest of his life in prison. Please take the time to sign his petition.

Obviously most people in this forum has had an encounter with our so called juvenile "justice" system. This system needs some major adjustments. Firstly, it is cruel and unusual punishment to put any child in an adult prison and try them as if they were 10-20 years older and more mature. We must all work together to ensure that this horrible treatment of children and teenagers will END.
I would like for you to know that I have signed the petition. I respect your honesty on his case. No, I don't feel he deserves to be locked up his entire life. That is insane. I am 45yrs. old and has lived in a very sheltered world where the justice system is concerned. There is no justice, lock them up and throw away the key seems to be this countries concern. Infact it isn't their concern is why they feel locking them up is the answer to all our problems. The richest country in the entire world and this is the answer to our problems. what is he going to do when he leaves at 65 yrs old? give me a break he is not going to want to leave. he will only know prison life and thinks this is how its suppose to be. don't get me wrong I am aganist anyone taking another life. This story seems as if someone directed and lead him to doing what he was asked to do. A grown adult of course.
13yrs will be more then enough to punish him and teach him right from wrong, I feel even that is too long. Good Luck to him and I will keep him in my prayers. Jeannie

Karen1705
02-21-2006, 06:41 AM
I signed no 813 - Good Luck hope all goes well with Tyler

gagirl770
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I went on the website and read up on it and signed it there. Such a gross miscarriage of justice! I am both angry and sad for this child.

andreamae05
02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Thank you very much ALL of you! Texasfem, I will always be honest. I will give out all the facts for people to make up their own mind. I believe with my heart that Tyler is innocent. However most people believe that whether or not a child IS innocent, he/she does not deserve Life in prison. Thank you all very much. I will keep you updated on Tyler's Law.

imani4ever
02-21-2006, 01:16 PM
This is out right stupid!:angry: giving children LWOP! for goodness' sake how can these prisons be called "corrections facilities"?? I have signed this petition and sincerely hope they will investigate this futher and let this child go home !

andreamae05
02-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Tyler did not get LWOP, but he's not eligable until he's 65, so he would probably essentially die in there if something is not done. Thank you for signing!

jlsjr4ever
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
i signed it good luck........(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) hang in there.....

angela

andreamae05
02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Thank you! Oh, hanging would definitely describe it. haha!

nimuay
02-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Just plain stupid . . .

HuGzz 'N StUff
02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
signed....Good Luck....Prayers going Tyler's way...

litilady
02-21-2006, 05:26 PM
does anyone know the address to write the supreme court the president bush or any other congressman that could essential have a say in matters concerning this. i would be more then willing to send letters out. as i am sure other people would to. i just have no clue as to where to send letters. there definantly needs to be laws in place to prevent this from happening.

andreamae05
02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Litilady, i have been advocating against what is being done to juveniles caught up in the adult justice system for a long time now. I think the most realistic thing right now is trying to get a law passed in your state. Write your state Reps and find out where they stand on this issue. Children are worth it! I don't see a federal law happening anytime *soon.*

Ness
02-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Signed #834.

Babygurl597
02-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi #835, I hope this helps, No child that you should have such a harsh punishment. Keep us posted.

andreamae05
02-22-2006, 08:29 AM
You're right diva. Thanks for signing. :)

shwnsmom
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
once upon a time I had NO knowledge of the juvenile "justice" system, then my son ran away from home, and then made some more bad choices.
at 13 yrs old. my son was put in the "hole" for 5- FIVE MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he was alone for FIVE MONTHS, in the morning the mat he slept on was taken away, there was no windows, the room was cement, he only had his underpants and a tee shirt, once a week he was taken to shower, in the evening he was given his mat back to sleep on! and we could not visit him!
As anyone could imagine what this did to his mental state!
my son did not kill anyone, he did not physically hurt anyone, my son stole cars (he did not crash the cars, just broke where the key went!) and ran away from home!
This is juvenile justice reform!
Being put into the juvenile justice system is a free education, an education to learn NEW crimes, to improve upon the crimes they got caught at, it's an educations to everything we as parents did our best to protect them from!
YES, EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE CHANGED! the punishment should not include this free education! otherwise what is the point?
Lynn

Babygurl597
03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
That is absolutely insane!!!! I sorry i am very upset....i can't imagine what he is going thru.....

I don't care if he did commit murder or not..I am not trying to say i don't have sympathy of people that are victims or lost a love on but,..at 13 he still should not have a life sentence.....That is still to extreme for someone that young.....granted they have some idea of right and wrong....but at that age they are still pre-teens....Have they ever heard of schooling these kids and reforming them.....The HOLE!!! I wouldn't want my husband there at the age of 30! What are some other things that can be done to change this....What state is this in!!! This is unheard of....i am in connecticut and juveniles here get many chances....and lots of reform. Alot of them turn around by the time they come home. This needs to be stopped.:angry:

andreamae05
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
It's VERY aggrivating! Tyler was "adult" enough to get a life sentence, but he wasn't old enough to vote for the judge who sentenced him or sit on a jury--let alone be judged by his PEERS. It's VERY unconstitutional!

Moeshaforever99
03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
917 12:54 pm PST, Mar 3 Shay Rhode Island United States

andreamae05
03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Thank you Moesha. By the way, I love your haircut! haha!

JazzyJFL
03-04-2006, 01:28 PM
America does not care about our youth. They are giving children sentences that even an adult would not be able to deal with. We need to pray for our government, judicial system and those that are responsible for running our country. We are an embarrassment to world. God Bless Tyler!

otok
03-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Good Luck with the petition.

andreamae05
03-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Thank you. And YES, Jazzy, the children in this country are getting harsher sentences than adults who commit the same crime are! Why? Because it's a lot easier to railroad a child than it is an adult, because they don't know their constitutional rights. It's shameful!

woundedangel
03-05-2006, 06:06 PM

haswtch
03-05-2006, 06:37 PM

andreamae05
03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank ya'll so much.

ROB6RTZ WIF6Y
03-06-2006, 02:20 AM
WOW AM REALLY SORRY HOPE THINGS WORKS OUT BUT THATS NOT RIGHT

(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

(http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;87/st/20060409/e/ROBERT+GETZ+OUT/dt/-2/k/be8e/event.png)

andreamae05
03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Thank you. I hope things work out too. It would be a travesty to let him spend the rest of his life in prison. It would be a travesty to let him be transferred to Parchman.

andreamae05
05-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Tyler's petition is now over 1100. Thank you ALL! :D

angel12569
05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I

angel12569
05-02-2006, 04:49 PM
signed it , good luck hope all works out for him.

ozzie
05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
on this i am so sorry for you and for him he should have never ever received something like this this is a baby

andreamae05
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Thank you! Not only is he young ozzie, he's very small for his age. It's a bad bad bad situation.

MIPS
06-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi, i am so sorry to hear about Tyler, can i ask, im new here to pto and wondering what tyler confessed to? My brother also took the blame for alot of my sister's actions and is now being tried as a habitual offender so he's looking at 25 to life, sad isnt it. He's such a young boy. My brother is older but was about that age when he started getting into trouble and involved with the system. My heart goes out to Tyler and i dont even know the situation, but i would love to. thanks

MIPS
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm appalled at the sentence Tyler recieved after reading all the stuff i could find about his situation. It seems the justice system has definately failed Tyler. The drug dealers, thugs, gang bangers, and true criminals can shoot someone in cold blood knowing what their doing and get charged with manslaughter and be out in 3-5 yrs. It is so sad that our system works in the manner that it does. My heart goes out and prayers are with you all and I have signed your petition.

andreamae05
06-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi MIPS. I'm so sorry I didn't see your post sooner or I would have answered your question. Did you find all the answers you needed??? Yes, it's a horrible HORRIBLE tragedy. May I ask what part of MS you're from??? You could PM me if you'd like. There's actually a rally for Tyler this weekend.

MIPS
06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
ANDREAMAE, I am from around the tupelo area in ms. again, i am so sorry to hear and yes i did find most everything about it. well actually i read the basics from his save tyler site, thats it tho. not details or anything, my brother's in for parole violation, he got sentenced to 10 yrs, and he's awaiting another trial for armed robbery, stupid, but he's being tried as a habitual on the robbery, so he's looking at 25 - life. my sister is in there and sentenced last week to 2 years for the same thing my bro was on parole for which was uttering forgery, they really are good people but just do some dumb things sometimes, i love them so much and i miss them terribly, we are all we have and i'm out here alone now, i know that sounds selfish, but i just am lonely and wish for their return and safety, and thanks for responding. hope all goes well with Tyler....Let me know how he's doing. And is the sister going to trial now or has she been sentenced already and for what. i really dont know very much about it i just know the crime committed. thanks andrea

b0mbina
06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
# 1289

sroloff
06-23-2006, 04:26 PM
My wife was arrested when she was barely 17 years old and sentenced to 75 years for a murder she didn't commit. Stephanie was a staraight A student and member of the national honor society. She has been incarcirated since Christmas Day 1999 and won't see parole for the first time until 2029. She will be 47 if she makes her first parole date. Another young life stolen by a corrupt criminal justice system.

susiebee
06-25-2006, 11:14 AM

Best of luck

SB

ladydi49633
06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
hi i also signed' i can not believe they could do this'

MIPS
06-30-2006, 12:20 AM
My sister just got moved to cmcf 2 and she is a total wreck, calls crying, says its a very horrible place to be . if anyone knows anything about cmcf please let me know ,,,thank you mips :angry: :o:)

MIPS
06-30-2006, 12:21 AM
sroloff, im so sorry to hear about your loved one and the system. It has definately failed the wrong people so very many times, I wish you all the best and my prayers are with you always. Mips

s_fortenberry
07-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Any updates on this child

HeSoHandsome
07-13-2006, 12:47 PM
UNCONSCIABLE!! :angry: I guess if someone was in a revengeful mood he would have gotten the death penalty!!

OlliePunky
08-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Makes me sick to my stomach, having a 14 year old son! Happy to sign. Anything I can do?? Let me know. A 13 year old to such a harsh sentence.

ROB6RTZ WIF6Y
08-02-2006, 08:33 PM
i signed Monique Aguilar
i hope all the truth comes out in the case.

Melissa_2006
08-02-2006, 08:44 PM
1497 I signed--but it says the deadline was last month. Any updates?

andreamae05
08-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Thank you ALL :)

keevee8
08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Im #1542

mamajmg
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I signed but don't know what number I was. Sorry !!!!

I wonder if the darned prosecutors or judge remembers stuff they did at that age or how much they've changed??????????? Bet there was some pot smoking in their lives back then or other illegal pranks!!! It just sickens me that the baby was given Without Possibility of Parole!

Please updae us!

Janice

Kersligo
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Congrats on the 7-2 ruling by the Mississippi Supreme Court. Let us know whether or not the state decides to persue this. Any news on whether he can come home on bail while you are waiting.?

By the way, everyone should look at andreamae's website---very clean effective and well-written.

Chris' Gal
02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Signed it, and praying it makes a difference.

UBO
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
#1935 good luck

pami57
02-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I signed even though the original post is over a year old now. Any update on this case?

sligoker
02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Andrea---I'm a bit confused. Didn't Tyler's case get sent back for retrial by the Mississippi Court of Appeals (I think in 2004) What is the situation now? Did the second trial ever take place?

shawnee77
02-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Good luck I will definatly pray for him....God bless!

sag
02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Good Luck --- wish we had the time resourse to figure out how to stop this insanity -- my son got 15 years when he was 17 years old -- he is beginning his 3rd year -- he MUST do at least 11 years --- it is terrible. Anyone who is sentenced as an adult shouwl have the option of serving pout some of their time on house arrerst or something ---- and minors hosudl get conjugal/trailer visits to be with their family. also due to the nature of my sons conviction -- he will not see his neice (brothers daughter) until she is 11 years old -- she is 3 now..... she will not know him,now him her.... it is cruel -- and it underestimates the power of family. If you have an stats site that give info on effects of adult prison on children please send -- i am taking some time off my job this summer to try to get some legislation sponsored excluding kids form the 85% law -- and getting family visits like conjugal visits.... also ---- there shoudl be a family svc counselor assigned to every chidl in prison -- to help ensure their safety ---- DFS (family services is responsible fro safety of children, regardless of their location in a prison).

MountainMom
02-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I haven't even had the chance to read it...let's hope he is able to go home soon. My gosh, what a baby.

http://www.freetyler.org/news_updates.html

Leesha_920
03-02-2007, 02:18 PM

i wish this boy the best & the justice system makes me sick
something needs tobe done about this

andreamae05
03-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, there's an update. Tyler won his MS Supreme Court appeal on Jan 4, 2007! His case was remanded back down to county for a new trial. This time it will NOT go the same!

pmitch10
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Signed!

orchidia_168
05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
i signed the petition months ago. i keep tyler in my prayers,he deserves a future.Yes, there's an update. Tyler won his MS Supreme Court appeal on Jan 4, 2007! His case was remanded back down to county for a new trial. This time it will NOT go the same!

FleetingDreams
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I signed the petition. I'm disgusted that they'd sentence this teen to life in prison without parole. There's obviously so much more to the case and to just lock him up with no hope, no help--absolutely nothing--is so wrong. I hope this petition will make a change in the juvenile justice system, especialy for Tyler Edmonds.

JohnsHeart
06-02-2007, 08:38 AM
FYI .... this boy has recently been granted a new trial and as of last week was released from jail on bond while he waits for the 2nd trial.

boflipflops36
06-02-2007, 09:06 AM
God Bless him. What a sad state our world is in. I pray for him and all our other teens who are in custody.

orchidia_168
06-02-2007, 07:24 PM
good news!!!!!!!!!! FYI .... this boy has recently been granted a new trial and as of last week was released from jail on bond while he waits for the 2nd trial.

afewmoremonths
06-03-2007, 02:31 PM
That's awesome! My prayers are with him!

shawnee77
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
seeing if my ticker works

linny44
06-05-2007, 07:34 PM
i agree with you it isnt right to give a minor a life sentence they i believe do not have the abilty to understand what could really happen to them if they conmit a crime , i think the state needs to look into this boys case cant he throw out his confession ?

MountainMom
07-28-2007, 05:28 PM
:) http://www.freetyler.org/images/news_updates_tit.gif (http://www.freetyler.org/images/news_updates_tit.gif)
A Message from Tyler
ďDear Friends,
I wanted to write you and tell you all that I am doing fine and that I appreciate all of your continued support and prayers during this time of transition. Itís been very hard to adjust to everyday life. Itís been fun but hard nonetheless. I am very confident that this is the beginning of the end for this chapter of my life. Iím so thankful that I have the support of people like you all behind me. So far, I have been fishing, intertubing, swimming, watching movies, hanging out with my friends, and spending time with my family. Itís been great to be able to enjoy the simple things in life again and to enjoy the things that we often times take for granted. Anyway, to all of you who have stood beside me throughout this situation, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can only pray to God that the kindness that you all have shown to me can be returned to you all three-fold.
With Great Faith, Love, and Hope, I am truly yours, Tyler Edmonds
Tyler Continuing College Education
Since Tylerís release on bond, he has been spending time with friends and family and just generally getting ďcaught upĒ on life. Along with this, Tyler continues on with his college education as he had been before his release. He continues to pursue a degree in psychology and intends on maintaining his A- grades. Tyler will be balancing work, school, and spending time with his family and friends.

U.S. Supreme Court Appeal to Throw Out Confession Filed

Tylerís attorney Jim Waide has filed an appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court to have the false confession thrown out. It will be a matter of months before the U.S. Supreme Court decides on whether to look at the appeal. If the false confession is thrown out, this will be a pivotal moment in Tyler quest for acquittal and freedom. Updates on the appeal will be posted here as they develop.

Tyler Released on Bond!

Flandria
08-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Signed, good luck!

biglinmarshall
08-04-2007, 07:19 PM
This is appalling. Let's hope he gets justice!

SaulNMe4ever
09-05-2007, 01:13 AM
my husband was 16 and sentenced to LWOP
hes 19 now in prison

Suthrndreamgirl
09-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I have signed & forwarded the petition to everyone in my address book as well. Prayers going out to Tyler, his family, & attorney...believing for favor in his case.

flatlinesurf
09-16-2007, 11:13 AM
That's a shame. Hope it all works out. The Juvenile system needs to be reevaluated.

tksbean
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I signed

I think we really should re-think how the leagal system works. At the least if our states are going to put children in prison they should have to consider all issuse, history, and most of all the likly hood they would do a crime again. And not forget they can be persuaded to do good as well as bad in the right sitution. After all most of the kids I hear about really wouldn't have done things had it not been for "BEING TALKED INTO IT" But the sadest part is the good kids seem to be hit the hardest.

yogie06
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Hello there

I was 15 when I was arrested, I was tried as an adult at 16, went to Prison at 17, being the youngest one there. Horrified I tell you. I was suppose to have got sentence to Youth Authority but the Judge overruled their recommendation. I was sentence to life in prison for Attempted Murder. As of two years ago I was released off my life sentence after serving 18 years. Now the real question is, how do a 16 year old adult survive on the streets with no expierence. I say 16 year old adult because I am 35 years old and so much was taken away from me, what do I do, make decisions like an adult or a 16 year old. Thank God I took advantage of therepy inside as well as out here so I can grasp my life and move forward. With the help of some family and my mentor I am doing great.

hoolio's mom
04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
i signed, but forgot what number i was. good luck

MountainMom
05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Yogie, welcome to PTO. How are you doing? It sure sounds as if you are on the right path and with proper support, you should be able to soar.

Luv0fHisLife
05-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Signed. My prayers are with him..

lilithinwaiting
05-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I read up on this boy and I feel deep in my heart that he did not do the murder. I signed it.
I think many kids do deserve life sentences and just because they are 14 ,15 does not excuse what they do but this is different . This poor boy was manipulated to take the fall. I wish him the very best of luck!

MountainMom
05-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Here's a my space link that friends of Tyler's made for him.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=66885955

Here's another site...it looks like the site with a different link from above.

http://www.mississippimud.org/

Meko'sAngel
07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I signed the petition..... I have a 9 year old and just the thought of him going to juvenlie for any reason makes me feel sad...... Sometimes we do the best we can to ensure our childrens future, and they still decide to make there own choices...... At thirteen to get that much time, and his sister has been arrested for what he has been sentenced for come on now, big sister must have been influencing baby brother to confess ( you won't get as much time as I would if I confess ) that's what I can imagine was said, he probably thought he was going to protect his sister, and she probably caoxed him into believing he was doing the right thing.... that poor baby he shouldn't have even been given that much time, grown men do worse and get less time......... I pray that the Lord watches over him and allows this baby to regain his life back, with all the greatness of enjoying who he grows to be......

Just-Cynt
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi any new info on his case? I will continue to keep lifting his situation up!!!

Johnston90
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
#2189 - this is insane.

Jakes Baby
08-10-2008, 10:51 AM
def. signed the petiton! Lets keep prayin everyone! God bless!

ImANurse
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
A 13 year old. Life sentence. 65?

This country....the good ol u.s. of a.

Im sick

bubslildevil
08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
2207 good luck my prayers are with ya'll

Mrs.Jboy
08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Ill have him in my prayers!! They did the same stuff to my Husband he was 16 and got 25 yrs in prison.. It sux!!! hes 25 now and he has grown up in there.. Ill pray for him..

luvofmylife
08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
does anyone have an update on this case...i signed 2209

Jakes Baby
08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Anyone know anything about this case? i was wondering if anything was happening also?

sweetnina
08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
This article is from 2007

Edmonds freed from jail on bail
The Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Miss. --Tyler Edmonds, a teenager who won a new trial on
charges he participated in the murder of his brother-in-law, was
freed from jail Friday on a $75,000 bond ordered by a new judge
assigned to the case.

Edmonds left the Oktibbeha County jail, where he was taken after a
brief hearing before Circuit Judge Lee Howard in Columbus. Edmonds
had been moved from a juvenile prison in Leake County to the
Oktibbeha County jail this week. In January, the Mississippi Supreme
Court threw out Edmonds' conviction and ordered a new trial.

Edmonds had been serving a life sentence since 2004 for his role in
the shooting death of Joey Fulgham.

Howard held the hearing at the Lowndes County courthouse where he
had been presiding over cases this week.

Edmonds' attorney, Jim Waide of Tupelo, had requested a speedy
hearing on the issue of bail and Howard said, "I felt it was prudent
to make a decision as soon as possible."

"The Supreme Court says (murder) is a bailable offense and quite
frankly says to (grant bail)," Howard said.

Howard took over the case from Circuit Judge Jim Kitchens, who
recused himself earlier this month. Kitchens had presided over
Edmonds' first trial.

Howard, who said he could think of no reason to recuse himself, did
not set the date for a new trial. He ordered that all pretrial
motions be filed by June 30.

Waide said he anticipated filing a change of venue motion.

Assistant District Attorney Frank Clark reminded Howard "this
defendant has demanded a speedy trial," but Howard said his court
administrator books him for up to a year in advance in scheduling
cases over which he presides.

Prosecutors said both Edmonds and his half-sister, Kristi Fulgham,
shot Joey Fulgham while he slept in 2003. Edmonds was 13 at the time
and is now 17.

In December, Kristi Fulgham was convicted of capital murder and
sentenced to death, which carries an automatic appeal.

JohnsHeart
08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Tyler's retrial is supposed to begin soon

rabidstoat
11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
A few days ago Tyler had his verdict. I lost it in the buildup to the election, but it was... NOT GUILTY.

From the article: "Tyler Edmonds was 13 when he was convicted and sentenced to life behind bars for the 2003 shooting death of his brother-in-law.

"On Saturday, the 19-year-old walked out of court a free man after a second jury cleared him of the charge. "I'm just relieved," he said as he left the courtroom. "I'm thanking God the truth came out."

"The new verdict ends a contentious battle that included arguments that juveniles sentenced to life be made eligible for parole at some point. Edmonds' 2004 conviction and life sentence were reversed in January 2007 by the state Supreme Court, which cited discrepancies in testimony and errors by the judge."

(I'd post the full URL, but apparently I haven't posted enough to do that. Just search Google News for his name and you'll find a story or two.)

justadeb
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
thank you so much for this update.it is with out a doubt a very happy ending to a tragic story.........may his future be bright with much love and support...

txmatt409
11-06-2008, 03:44 AM
i signed it, gl!

MountainMom
11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
OMG...I have chills all over. That's the best news I've heard in a very long time. I will do a little jig and say a prayer for a lifetime of love, peace and happiness for Tyler. Yippee.

bean123
11-15-2008, 11:32 AM
http://www.justiceforjuveniles.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129815.html

thingstosay
11-18-2008, 06:10 AM
WTG Tyler!!!! I am so glad you are home!!! God Bless you!!!! HUGS

ccgma
11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Good thing tyler was'nt in florida.......i'm sure he would have grown old trying to get justice....i'm so happy for tyler and his family,what a great day !!!!! Dorothy

orchidia_168
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
i remember when i signed the petition and wroter him a letter of support,at the time i felt so sad. omg! finally, justice has been served.!!!.!!!!

tyler.welcome home!!!!!