View Full Version : Phone use at Halfway House --- Questions

coping
02-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I know at the halfway house my son will have to use a pay phone to call us with 15 min limit per call. My question is can we do three way calls. I called the halfway house today and asked, the lady told me no. But, how would they even know if they don't listen in??? I just don't see the harm, it would allow him to talk to his kids more often. OF COURSE, if it's a rule, I would not dare try it.

SusanT
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
At the halfway house I was at there were regular pay phones for the residents to use and unless someone was waiting for the phone, the 15 minutes wasn't enforced. Unlike prison, also you will be able to phone him. Three way calls should not be a problem.

manchester03
02-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Mine was the same, a regular pay-phone, no time limit or anyone listening. As always, every half-way house is different yadda yadda. So be sure he checks when he gets there.

coping
02-16-2006, 05:45 AM
They also told me I could not call him, but I could call the HWH and they would give him a message from me.

SusanT
02-16-2006, 07:26 AM
At the halfway house I was at there was one pay phone in the womens' dorm and two in the dining room. Residents answered the phone. He will be able to give you the payphone number, expect it to be busy a lot.

coping
02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I hope so!! Will be able to post that in a few more days!

LuvmyOz
07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Are the halfway houses UNISEX? I only saw women at the two I went to.

LuvmyOz
07-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Do they have immediate use of the phones to call out? Are they only for outgoing call to family?

sandra8376
07-22-2006, 03:00 PM
My husband was housed (the first time) at a co-ed HWH. The sleeping/restrooms/showers were partitioned off, but the dining halls & rec areas were co-ed.

They can use the phones immediately - at least where my husband went. I could not make calls to him & they weren't good at giving urgent messages. Once my husband had applied for a job & used the HWH as a # where he could be reached. They didn't give him the message & he almost lost the job. From then on, he used my cell phone as a contact # & I would give him messages during the evening when he called home.

We didn't have a 15 minute restriction either. It really depends on where you're sent & the policies they enforce.