View Full Version : Re: HB1019

klove
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Has anyone seen the HB 1019 regarding parole and completion of required programs. How does this affect the AOP?

dmpdbd
02-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Here is the link to the SB 1019. (This is a Senate bill - not a House Bill - different initial judciary committee - Hurrah!). I have only read it quickly as I am "suppose" to be getting ready to go to work, but it looks like it should be in the prisoner's best interest.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2005-2006/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2006-SIB-1019.htm

queenwdg
02-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Here is the link to the SB 1019. (This is a Senate bill - not a House Bill - different initial judciary committee - Hurrah!). I have only read it quickly as I am "suppose" to be getting ready to go to work, but it looks like it should be in the prisoner's best interest.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2005-2006/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2006-SIB-1019.htm

Yes you are correct it does benefit the prisoner IF the MDOC does what the legislation says it should do. It will be to the benefit of the prisoner because the legislation says that every effort should be made to send inmates to facilities to complete whatever program they are in that is required.

So this is one that is a very good one. The only thing is, those classes are given to inmates who are within 2-3 yrs of their ERD. My fiancee is facing that delimma RIGHT now. He is within 2yrs of his ERD, but guys whose ERD is sooner than his, keeps getting put in front of him. Right now he is #66 on the list for AOP, and in takes about a yr to complete it. If he doesn;t get in the class before the end of the year, I din't know what will happen.

Loving Miles
02-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually the class is 44 weeks that have to be completed prior to ERD and you can only get in the class if your 12 months from your ERD. My husband was suppose to start the class at Marquette on Feb 8th but the counsler was a no show so now the class isn't starting untill Feb. 21st. So the counsler has 54 weeks to complete a 44 week class. The inmates must have 44 weeks completed. THe counsler has 54 weeks to teach. So actually the class is only 10 months but with time off and holidays they can extend it to 12 months. My husbands ERD is 9/30/06 and he is just now getting into the class so we can all add, he will not be home on his ERD. After the complete the class the counsler/physic has 90 days to get the completion report to the parole board and then the board and take up to another 60 days to decide on it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that he'll be home by Dec 06 but again with holidays, probably not till Fe/Mar of next year cause we all know that between Nov. and Dec. the capitol doesn't work but 23 days..Closed the rest of the time.