View Full Version : Stanley Baker jr. TX RIP

SSK
05-31-2002, 12:25 AM
they did it again :(

Baker put to death for 1994 murder

By Mark Passwaters/Staff Writer

Stanley Baker Jr., convicted for the 1994 killing of a College Station man and sentenced to death by a Brazos County jury, was executed Thursday evening in the death chamber of the Huntsville "Walls" Unit.

Baker, 36, was dressed in a red button-down shirt as opposed to the normal prison whites that most inmates wear. His closely cropped hair was graying at the temples, and he was wearing Coke-bottle glasses.

At 6:09 p.m., Baker was asked if he had any last words.

"Well, I don't have anything to say, so let's go," he said.

When warden Neill Hodges asked Baker if he was sure, he said, "I'm just sorry about what I did to Mr. Peters. That's all."

In his final statement, Baker misidentified his victim. One problem: Baker was put to death for killing 44-year-old Wayne John Walters on Sept. 28, 1994.

The fatal dose of chemicals was started at 6:10 p.m.

"My arms are cold," Baker said. "There's some pain in my left arm. I guess that's from the poison."

Baker then suddenly coughed twice, wheezed, and was silent. He was pronounced dead at 6:19 p.m.

Baker, the 15th person executed in Texas this year, gained some international attention due to his place of birth. The son of a member of the U.S. Air Force, Baker was born in Paris while his father was based there. Formal requests for clemency from members of the French government and the European Union were sent to Texas Gov. Rick Perry, but were rejected. Fewer than 10 protesters were outside the "Walls" Unit as Baker was executed.

A former employee of the Winn-Dixie supermarket in Bryan, Baker's final meal request would have filled a shopping cart. He asked for two 16-ounce ribeye steaks, a pound of thinly sliced turkey breast, 12 strips of bacon, two large hamburgers with mayonnaise, onion and lettuce, two large baked potatoes, four slices of cheese or a half-pound of grated cheddar cheese, a chef salad with bleu cheese dressing, two ears of corn on the cob, one pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream and four vanilla Cokes or Mr. Pibbs. Whether Baker's last request was fully granted was not immediately known.

On the night of Sept. 28, 1994, Baker was walking down Texas Avenue in College Station with a shotgun. He had recently quit his job at Winn-Dixie after writing an obscenity-filled letter of resignation. Baker said he walked into the adult video store located near the Texas A&M University campus to get out of the heat. Walters was the only person in the building when Baker entered.

Baker produced a shotgun and took Walters' car keys without resistance. Baker then shot Walters three times, including once in the back of the head as Walters lay face down on the floor. Walters was killed instantly. Baker stole between $40 and $50 from the store's cash register.

During the robbery, Baker split his lip and broke one of his front teeth when the shotgun recoiled and hit him the face.

Baker took Walters' pickup truck and attempted to flee the area. He was able to successfully leave Brazos County, but was apprehended in Bastrop by a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper. Baker still had blood on his shirt from his split lip.

When the DPS officer took Baker into custody, the murder weapon, ammunition, a brass knuckled stiletto, a bulletproof vest, a garrote, and some survival gear were recovered.

Authorities also discovered a notebook in which Baker had written his goals for the year. One caption which read: "30+ victims dead. 30+ armed robberies. Steal a lot of cars."

Baker told DPS troopers that he had intended to kill not only Walters, but anyone else who was in the store when he entered.

Baker was indicted on a capital murder charge Oct. 27, 1994, with the trial starting in July 1995. During the trial, the prosecution produced evidence which documented Baker's weapons stash and his writings which exhibited a hatred towards gays, blacks and former President Bill Clinton. They also introduced evidence of Baker's plans to go on a killing spree similar to one by Charles Whitman, who shot 16 people with a high-powered rifle from the clock tower on the campus of the University of Texas in 1966.

soraya
05-31-2002, 02:34 AM
:( :( :(