View Full Version : Getting Married in Colorado?!?

SlyDaddiesBaby
02-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know how marriages in Colorado prisons take place and what are the regulations? We have decided to get married but are going to wait until Sly sees the parole board next month to decide when...if by chance he doesnt get out it looks as if we'll have a prison wedding and I havent heard any of Colorado stipulations....He will be talkin to the chaplin this week so hopefully we will know more soon!

SlyDaddiesBaby
02-08-2006, 12:21 AM
U cant tell me no one has any info on this!?!? Please help!

RachelisJims
02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't know much but I will have to find out also. When my man's devorce is final, we will be getting married. He's in Florence Federal Prison Camp. If anyone can help it would be greatly appriciated....
Take care and God Bless.......:) :) :) :)

NotSoPatiently
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
There are several different ways to go about it. Depends on if you want an acctual wedding right away or not. If you just want papers signed and filed it is pretty simple and I can tell you how to do that, to acctually stand in front of a pastor and say vows, I have no info. Ed and I got married on papers but will have wedding when he gets out. They wouldn't let him have his ring he has been wearing for over 2 years without proof of marriage so we just did it on paper for now. It is real simple that way and very very legal, just werent able to stand and say vows, which we will do upon release. Anyway, if you want that info let me know.

tattoodiva
02-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I just did mine on paper too. We tried to go through the chaplin but he wouldn't let us because Jason has kids by someone else. They can turn you down if they want but to do it by paper is really easy.

RachelisJims
02-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanx for the info, least I have an option. But I still think I would rather be there with him if it is possible. Or maybe over the phone. But paper sounds the simplist way. I can't wait till his devorce is done. I just know I love him and miss him terribly, but at least I know I'm not alone thanx to all you very special people......Take Care and God Bless...........:) :) :) :)

chicagodiane
02-19-2006, 01:27 AM
We got married 6 years ago by proxy in front of a Magistrate in Denver County Courts. My girlfriend stood in for James, signed papers for him...even kissed me on his behalf! I had to send James' plain wedding band to his case manager who passed it along to James. The whole process was simple! The only tough part was waiting 18 months for our wedding night. :)

tinkr30
02-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Okay, someone send me the info on what has to be done-- step by step-- to get married on paper.

Denise

NotSoPatiently
02-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Okay, someone send me the info on what has to be done-- step by step-- to get married on paper.

Denise

Here is what I know. 2 different ways. 1) Go to where ever in your county you go for a marriage license and get 2 applications for a marriage license then send them to him to have him fill them out and sign them in front of the chaplin or notary or whatever is required then send them back to you. You take them back and fill yours out at the court house and then they will file them and send you the marriage license and then you go from there. or 2) a much simplier way - go to the same place but get a form called something like Recognition Of Common Law Marriage - you sign in front of notary, send it to him, he also signs in front of notary sends it back to you, file it with the state and you are legally married. That is what we did, lots less steps that way than the other way. Both are legal and recognized by DOC as legal marriage - We had to do it just cuz he didn't want to give up his ring for the remainder of his sentance. Anyway Montrose County didn't have a problem telling me of several different ways of doing it but these were the 2 most recomended and she said the 2 most commonly used buy inmates. There is also the marriage by proxy where someone acctually stands in for him but I do not know much about that. That one seemed to be the most complicated and most work so the other 2 are simpler.

Hope this helps

SlyDaddiesBaby
03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok anyone wanting info here it goes! This was cake. After Friday I will be Mrs. Sly *lol* but anyway all I had to do is get an absentee form and his portion of the application and sent it to him. He then got it notorized and sent it back with a copy of his inmate id, then I took his 1/2 into the clerk and filled out my 1/2 at that time. They gave me the marriage license told me where to have him sign with a copy of it with those areas highlighted. I sent it to him and he signed and put it back into the mail tonight, so when I get it friday all I have to do is take it back to the clerk sign my 1/2 pay the $25 for the license and BOOM we are married!!! Haha its not too romantic but we plan on doing things the right way later on. I really hope that helped anyone with questions!

Mrs. SlyDaddiesBaby!:p

GinsKris
03-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I know my guy and I have discussed doing this too, once my divorce is final but with the kids etc its hard to decide and I think my family would freak even though I have known him for over a decade...Can I ask which facility he is at? Mine was at Arkansas Valley, before that Crowley County and Buena Vista he has been down 4 and half years... but he currently up for retrial on appeal right now...we are obviously praying he is acquitted this time or given a more reasonable sentence..but truly an acquittal is appropriate..He was "over" charged..but anyway...Good luck to you guys..How long before your man is out?

NotSoPatiently
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Congratulations!!!! Yep it is a very simple process as long as you don't mind doing it that way. I am glad we did it, glad to be able to call myself his wife, but I still want and will have my wedding when he gets out and I can't wait. Still a loooong wait, but I WILL wait!!!!!

tabycat
03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Congrats to those of you who have just gotten married or have been. My marriage was just finalized on the 22nd of February also! Anyone who has any questions feel free to ask me - it was very simple and VERY worth it!

mybabycl
03-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Go here hon this should be helpful

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/colorado/index.shtml

tinkr30
03-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Do I have to live in Colorado to do this?

Can I get the forms and mail them to him and then be in Colorado to file them after I get them back from him?

Denise

NotSoPatiently
03-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Do I have to live in Colorado to do this?

Can I get the forms and mail them to him and then be in Colorado to file them after I get them back from him?

Denise

Yes as long as the forms come from Colorado, but wouldn't it be easier for you to do it in Kentucky if you are just going to do it by signature. You do not have to live in the state to get married there as long as that state allows you to do it this way. If Kentucky offers a marriage that way then mail them to him and file them in your home state. But yes you can do it that way in Colorado.