View Full Version : I need a little help Understanding sentencing for failure to register

devonnikki5
02-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Ok My fiance is in on a failure to register and this is his first offence with this. I found an article explaining the punishment and to me it looks like a first offence is only a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or fines. Well my honey was setenced to 8 months to 4 years in Prison. How can they do this???? Is there anyone to contact about this???
I have included the link to this bills summary, just in case someone reads it different than I do and thats not what it really says. To me that is what is says in plain English. I would really be greatful if anyone can help me out with all this.
Was he sentenced wrong? If so, Is there anything I can do about it???

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2005-2006/billanalysis/House/htm/2005-HLA-0606-5.htm

MrsBenji
02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, was he on parole/probation at the time?

If so, failure to register can be considered a violation and he is being sent back to serve/finish the time for his original crime....

You are right though... it does suck....

Hang in there Sweetie!!

Jenn

devonnikki5
02-02-2006, 04:42 PM
He was on parole, but his sentence was 2-10 for B&E. His CSC crime is on his juvinile record if that helps at all.

MrsBenji
02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Being on parole, odds are that keeping his SO registration current was part of the requirements, even if it was a juvenile offense. What is his current charge that he is being sent back on? Failure to register or parole violation and failure to register?

I'm terrible at this sort of stuff... I'm sure one of our other ladies is more technically knowledgeable than I am... (By a long shot..)

Jenn

devonnikki5
02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
I think He is PV/ new charge. Does that change the sentence he got for the new charge???? Shouldn't he have had to serve the time for the new charge and if they sent him back it would be for the PV because the new charge should have been a misdemeanor or because of the PV its became a felony??? I just don't understand!!!

MrsBenji
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Me neither to be honest... If he is going back on a PV, he has a minimum to serve (which could be the 4 month) and then a max, which shouldn't exceed the max from his original sentence (probably the B&E). I don't know if the days for the failure to register figure in...

I wish I was more help...

Hang in there!!!

Jenn