View Full Version : Is Smoking allowed in Federal Prisons?

CentralTXAngel
01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Is smoking allowed in federal institutions? *biting nails while smoking another Marlboro*

Zelda50
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Smoking is not allowed indoors at federal prisons. It is up to the warden of each federal institution as to whether smoking is allowed in an outdoor designated smoking area. Zelda

TxRhino
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Zelda50 is partially correct. Smoking at individual facilities is allowed at the Warden's discretion; however, I do believe the BOP has a mandate to be entirely smoke free by a certain date. In all honesty, I do not know when this date is. Bryan FPC recently announced they would stop all tobacco sales toward the end of MARCH of this year and that effective 01 APR 2006 smoking and all tobacco use would be banned for all inmates and visitors; however, the staff will still be allowed to smoke.

Finally, as Zelda50 has stated... the places that do allow smoking, only allow it in specified areas. As unbelievable as it might seem, some even still allow smoking indoors (in designated areas of course). How much longer this will be allowed is unknown to me. Apparently, the BOP has decided the increased cost of health care for smokers has out wieghed the profit from tobacco products. Talk about "COLD TURKEY" yikes!!! :eek:

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

CentralTXAngel
01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Talk about "COLD TURKEY" yikes!!! :eek:

Keep the Faith

Ugh! *as I smoke another one* No smokes & no Xanax...whatever will I do??? Haha! Well, being hard core like I am, cold turkey would be the only way I could do it anyway. Thanks!

asdf
01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Elkton went (officially) smoke-free in summer '04 -- warden's choice. This fact (unofficially) hardly reduced the number of smokers or slowed down how much they smoke -- they just can't do it in the previously-designated smoking areas any more, or in view of COs. So more men get sent to the hole for being caught with cigarettes (now "contraband").

A bright and brave few took the opportunity to kick the habit once and for all.

Just to add to the stupidity of it all...Elkton went smoke-free for the inmate population, but the COs could still smoke.

txsfmhstn
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Well say goodbye to your nails once you go in. Cold turkey is going to suck. Take money with you so you can at least get some hard candy, I heard that helps some. Forgot to mention it to you before. Get you some pen pals to help you pass the time before you go in. Good luck!

Zelda50
02-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm told that, if you have the funds, you can purchase nicotine cessation patches and stuff in the commissary. Zelda

TxRhino
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Just a Goofy Question,

Since the BOP's official policy is to ban all tobacco and tobacco products when the ban goes into affect, and since NICOTINE is a biproduct of tobacco.... wouldn't BOP have to Ban patches too? Otherwise they would be in violation of their own policy. :eek:

Keep the Faith

Homiegirl
02-01-2006, 03:52 PM
This is the last week they will sell tobacco where my boyfriend is at. They have till April 1st to use it! And he has told me they will have the nicotine patches on comissary, Im sure for like 80 dollars each!

Zelda50
02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Michael - That comment is WAY too logical for the BOP! Zelda

TxRhino
02-02-2006, 04:02 PM
:D At the risk of sounding negative, you will never find me accusing te BOP of having "A firm grasp on the obvious". :D (This of course is not a blanket statement.... some of our own BOP members will not be included in this comment).

Keep the Faith

RCM6371
02-05-2006, 02:34 PM
From What I Gather All Federal Facilities Will Be Smoke Free As Of April 15 Of This Year..

Martha2
02-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh Great! I am surrending on the 7th of April......how many friends will I meet when they are all biting thier nails and having nicotine fits . Just my luck they will all be cranky. LOL

Zelda50
02-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Is there an official source for that information about all institutions going smoke-free by April 15th? Or is it just a rumor? Zelda

SCMom
02-19-2006, 07:29 AM
I can't find anything about a deadline on the BOP website at all about this. I hope this thread makes it to the top, as my son really needs to "cut' down on smoking if it is true. He will absolutely go bonkers without smoking...LOL, he gets it honest...from me. Can anyone share where this information came from?
Thanks!

Zelda50
02-19-2006, 11:41 AM
I spoke with my husband, who said that they've now been given an official notice from the warden that all smoking will be banned starting April 15th (I think that's date but not sure). And, in all their wisdom, they stopped selling cigarettes in the commissary way ahead of time (and after making that announcement about the ban.) The rich inmates bought up lots of them while they could. So while cigarettes are not contraband yet, there are none available to buy, officially. You can imagine rest of the current scenario from there... Zelda

Homiegirl
02-20-2006, 12:15 AM
I think it is April 1st they have to quit but the 15th sounds right too~

blessing_six
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
My son is in FCI Beckleyand he said after they would stop all tobacco sales toward the end of MARCH of this year ! I think thats going to cause alot of trouble.