View Full Version : visiting conditions at Brooks CF-Info Please!

Lions Heart
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey ya'll! I already know the day and times for visiting at Brooks Correctional. I want to know what the visiting is like there. I have been to a few facilities and I know that there are quite a bit of difference in them. I would like to know about the vending, how many machines, the pics, and how the guards seem. If anyone can clue me in on how strict they are there and any other helpful hints I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Tiny_42
01-31-2006, 08:45 AM
I was at Brook's on Sunday and it was pretty laid back. They are currently training a bunch of green tags from Baldwin, so the visiting room officers seem kind of jittery, I thought. But the in and out of it all is pretty standard. They have implemented a couple new things since the new year tho. One is the jewelry form, pretty simple, but goes in and out with you. The other is a new form you have to sign when you take a bathroom break. You sign in and out, and put the inmates name and number on it, so I gather that's so they can make sure they credit the right person with the proper nmber of visits. There are two different drink machines, plus the coffee machine, that was experiencing problems when I was there, but they called someone right in for it. There are two sandwich type machines, and a snack machine. Two microwaves with plates, silverware, and condiments. Picture tickets went up to $3, but now they are digital pictures, so you can see them on the camera and approve them first, which is nice. Then they print them out for you right then and there. Nice clearer 4x6 picture too, far better than the old Poloroids!! Just make sure you buy the tickets before you go in to visit. The price increase is worth it, plus they reprint alot better. I think that's about it. No hoods on your clothes, there is a drop box and envelopes provided, if you want to leave a money order. You can take $15 in change in with you. I always enjoy my visits there, and feel really comfortable. I hope you enjoy your time together!! PM me if you have other questions.

Lions Heart
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Thank you Tiny, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I so appreciate it. I know when I wa visiting at Macomb they had the digital camera there and they printed them out for us right then and there. It was really nice. I loved those pics. I am glad that Brooks has that too. I am not too worried about jittery guards because I don't do things that I shouldn't. I'm not losing my visits for anything. LOL I do appreciate knowing about the vending and to buy the tickets before I go in. That is a plus. When I went to Macomb the picture tickets came out of the vending machine so it came out of the $15 I could take in. If I buy picture tickets before going in do I still get to take in $15? I'm not worried about the money order drop box because he won't let me give him any money but I will pass that on to his family. I'm sure they will leave some for him. I have not had any experience with the jewelry form or the bathroom form yet. I usually try to go before I go in and I can go for quite a while before I have to go again so it has never been an issue. At Ionia they just wrote what jewelry I had on and then checked it to make sure that I had the same stuff when I came out. I am glad that Brooks is pretty laid back. His counselor told him that he sent him there because he knows it laid back and my guy does better when its not so loud and busy, so to speak. Again, thanks for the info.

Angel Boo
02-01-2006, 07:28 PM
I read the info that was given about visiting at BCF but I thought you might want to know that even though they have a so called set of rules and guidlines, it all depends on who's working which rules and guidlines they follow.
I've seen people get into trouble for something while others have done the same thing with no trouble what so ever.
I was not allowed back in to see my husband on the day before Christmas because I hadn't went to the bathroom the same time my sister-in-law did! It doesn't state that everyone has to use the bathroom at the same time but they told me that was the rule (for that day anyway) so needless to say I didn't even get to say goodbye or Merry Christmas to my hubby. I was not a happy camper.
Most of the green tags are pretty nice, there are a few that are cocky but I find it's the regulars that have the "I'm God" attitude more.
You will learn which CO's to be thankful you have and which ones you wont want :)
Usually you can pick your own seats but there have been a few times where we have had assigned seating. Not sure if you will have kids with you but they do have toys for the kids and card games as well.
If you need any more info let me know.
Hope your visit goes well!

Lions Heart
02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks Angel Boo and Welcome to PTO. I am well aware of how things can change based on who is working. I have had many experiences with that. I won't go into detail here. I will be sure to keep the bathroom thing in mind when I get to visit with some of his family members. So far, sadly that hasn't been an issue as of yet. I just can't wait. I have been counting down the hours. As of right now (10:30pm) I have 16 hrs left!!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!

LeaAnn
02-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah if you buy the photo tickets before going in you can still take in $15. I've always purchased them before going into the visiting room.

waata99
02-02-2006, 01:54 PM
My cousin and I were visiting my brother yesterday at MTU. After about an hour, another one of my brothers arrived at the front desk for visitation. He was told that if they were to let him in it would count as another visit for the month :confused: .

My (inmate) brother was already in the visiting room with 2 of us...why wouldn't they just let my other brother come in and join us? It wasn't too crowded. Well anyway, my brother left the premises so as to not shave a visitation off for the month...what a bunch of knit-pickers these people/places are.
Venting in West MI.

Lions Heart
02-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Yep that is the way they do it. That is one of the reasons I want to know when my guys family goes to see him. If they are going on the same day I want to go then I want to make sure that we all walk in together so its only one visit. I'm sorry that he didn't get to see his cousin. That sucks but I knew that was one of the things tht they do enforce here.

Angel Boo
02-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Is your boyfriend a level 2 or 4? Have you been to Brooks yet? Let me know how your visit goes. I'm so sorry waata for what happened but that is the way they do it. Seems like anything they can do to knock visits of the inmates they do:( I look at it this way at least it's clean and safe! It's a good place for our loved ones to sit back and do their time as long as they keep their noses clean and stay out of trouble. My hubby told me that some people actually complain it's to boring...I say Thank God keep them safe. If you ever do have any trouble at Brooks as for a Captain, they are very nice and will help you if they can.

Lions Heart
02-03-2006, 07:55 PM
My guy said that he heard that the ARUS he hasn't isn't that great but that the RUM's are really pretty good. He also said that it's a p[retty nice place to be. He would like to be in Level II because he knows some guys there but he says it is much quieter than the last place he was at and he is so thankful for that.