View Full Version : Paroling/Releasing to Halfway Homes/Homeless Shelters Q&A

Crstnamre
01-27-2006, 12:30 AM
We just found out that Paul will be going to a halfway house, not coming home to me.:( Do they get released to the halfway house, do they pick them up from the prison or does he get to come home and then report in?

Crstnamre
01-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I asked this in the CDCR what you need to know section and then thought about it and thought maybe I would do better to ask here. We just found out that Paul will be going to a halway house instead of coming home to me. Does he get to come home first and then go to the halfway house or do they pick them up at the prison? How long till he can get passes to see me/come home for periods of time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

JulieLD
01-27-2006, 09:49 AM
The same thing is happening to my husband. He was able to tell me what program he was going too so I called the local facility and asked them all those questions. See if you can find out which one and give them a call. Good luck.

lftb6514
01-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Christina! S**t what next? I know I know, he's closer than he was, but still...!

Gryphon
01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Does he get to come home first and then go to the halfway house or do they pick them up at the prison? How long till he can get passes to see me/come home for periods of time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on bed space availability, and whether there's a wait list to get into the T-House.
Most T-Houses don't have "blackout periods". If it's a rehab and not just a "clean and sober environment", there is likely a 30 day "blackout period"; wher ethere's no visitsa, letters, or phone calls (with exceptions being made for critical need).
The PO could impose a "blackout" on your being able to visit him; but probably won't unless you are viewed as part of his problem.

Crstnamre
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
From what he said its just a halfway house, not a rehab or clean and sober living environment. Thanks...I am going to PM you.

It depends on bed space availability, and whether there's a wait list to get into the T-House.
Most T-Houses don't have "blackout periods". If it's a rehab and not just a "clean and sober environment", there is likely a 30 day "blackout period"; wher ethere's no visitsa, letters, or phone calls (with exceptions being made for critical need).
The PO could impose a "blackout" on your being able to visit him; but probably won't unless you are viewed as part of his problem.

boboswife
02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
as far as I know, he needs someone to pick him up at the gate and he has to get to the halfway home. Why isn't your man coming home to you? Just curious. My husband doesn't have anywhere to go because I moved out of state. We are trying to get the paper work rolling for the interstate compact but if we don't have enough time, he wants to go the phoenix house. So did your man talk to his parole officer? The thing is my husband does not want to go to a sober living house or halfway home, he said there's too many drugs floating around, if you know what I mean. Anyway let me know that would be cool thank you.

cutiecake1
09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Please help if you have any information. My friend was sent to a halfway house on Tuesday to do his last six months. He told me that he was going somewhere in Hollywood, but the BOP website says Long Beach. Is this accurate? Secondly, I haven't heard from him. Is this normal? Do they have telephones in the Federal halfway houses, and are they allowed to call? And finally when will he be able to leave to look for job, home visit, etc.? Thank you for any information. This website is great.

cysreese
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Here is some info about halfway houses.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198769

Here is a link to the Federal Forum. Best wishes!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=317

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=649

LuzGonzalez1971
10-30-2006, 09:29 AM
I was wondering if there are halfway houses that an inmate can get into in San Diego with 1 year left on his sentence and where he would parole from? Is there such a thing? This is for an inmate with no drug issues or drug record. I know that there are a number of half-way houses but you have to be in a substance abuse program or the program at the half-way house is only geared towards those individuals with substance abuse problems who were incarcerated as a result of these issues. Any information would be appreciated!

LuzGonzalez1971
11-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Can anyone tell me if California is one of the states that will consider 6 months of Halfway House time, and do you have to go thru legal channels (lawyer) in order to be considered? Is there a process? Where can I find a list of halfway houses in San Diego??

bullittgirl
11-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Great questions. I hope someone comes along to answer them. I also would like to know your questions.

cadustin
11-17-2006, 10:51 PM
California used to use half way houses for county time (I don't know if they still do), but they do not use it for state inmates.

Gryphon
11-28-2006, 02:48 PM
On county time cases, the CA Supreme Court says that any court ordered program time gets day for day jail credit (since there was a loss of liberty interest). However, some courts are slow to consider half way (or Transition, or "T") houses as if it were jail. That's because a clean and sober living environement isn't (by itself) much of a loss of liberty; especialluy if you can pretty much come and go as you please. The courts usually want something more program-like going on before they'll let a rehab substitute for jail.

Can anyone tell me if California is one of the states that will consider 6 months of Halfway House time, and do you have to go thru legal channels (lawyer) in order to be considered? Is there a process? Where can I find a list of halfway houses in San Diego??

yourownliz
02-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Are there any reeentry houses anywhere?

wtomatoo1030
02-02-2008, 02:24 AM
What's halfway house? How long they need to stay there? Are they necessary to go to there before go home?

OrbiTalSky
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Halfway homes are are like sober living homes, they have rules but the are usualy a good option for someone that has just been released from prison and need an afffordable place to stay until hes back on his feet.
Just one thing thou, most of these places have ZERO tolerance for bad behavior and that includes
1) The use of alcohol or drugs.

2) Violence, threats of violence, or intimidation.
3) Curfew.

It's agood place to start, but to get out as son as posible before the call you probation officer, just because they may not like you.

Itsy_6
12-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Ladies i need some information..
I just got news today that my hubby will be going to a half way house in Feb. He signed up to go to a drug rehab facility with his counselor

My dad whom i stay with while my hubby is away is a ball of sunshine and said that he will get into crap there at the halfway house and have to stay longer then he would have had to stay if he did all the time in prison.

So i need to know what im in for since he is suppose to go to a half way house in feb. What sort of privlidges do the guys in there get and so on.

Im not sure if im excited or not yet. I'm due in Feb and it would be great to see him sooner then later.
and im not gettin my hopes up but it would be great if he was there when i had our first child.

Don't be afrid to burst my bubble lol im not sure this half way house is a good thing or not

Happy Holidays Everyone

2sleepy
12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I am guessing its DTF? They are staffed by CDCR employees and they have pretty strict rules, I guess it depends on if he can follow the rules and stay out of trouble, if he can't they will roll him up and send him back to prison.

KMSinCali
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
My husband is due to be released on a parole violation sometime in February. We are separated, but I've been saving some money for him to get settled in a sober living home or halfway home. Is there anyway to find out about these homes? Should I talk to his parole agent? He'll need to be somewhere in north or central Orange County, CA (Fullerton, Anaheim, Orange, etc). The last 2 homes he was in weren't very structured. In fact, he was in 2 different homes in the past calendar year and ended up relapsing and getting arrested 5 times and jailed 4 times throughout the year. That's not the fault of the homes, however, there wasn't much accountability as far as attending meetings or keeping a job.

LuvandLaughsCA
12-27-2008, 09:14 AM
I moved your post from CDC what you need to know to the Parole,Probation & Release in hopes you will get more answers here.

Here are a few threads within PTO that have some information about DTF's.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326567&highlight=dtf (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326567&highlight=dtf)

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335898&highlight=dtf (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335898&highlight=dtf)

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335428&highlight=dtf (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335428&highlight=dtf)

2sleepy
12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Here's a bunch of them
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=sober&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&bedrooms=
The problem is that none of them are going to 'make' him do anything, if he wants to walk away he can and probably will; at some point he has to decide that going back to prison is not something he wants to do...

kima
12-28-2008, 11:07 AM
...there wasn't much accountability as far as attending meetings or keeping a job.

Accountability is up to the person attending meetings or keeping a job. In the "real world" we ALL must be accountable for our own actions/inactions. It sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do and unless he finds a way to make HIMSELF accountable, he will continue to fail at any program or job. And if you continue to enable him by bailing him out of every situation he's in, he will not learn any lessons that will help him to grow and mature as an adult. (That's my 2 cents, anyway. Been there, done that).

That said, I hope that between all the links I sent you and 2sleepy's link, you can come up with a plan for him when he's released. However, after reading more of your posts it sounds like he has been given a few chances to sober up and start being responsible. In the long run, anything you do for him will not help if he doesn't want the help. Have you attended NA meetings so you can get the support you need? Not trying to come down on you, but it really sounds like you could use the wisdom and support of people who know what you're dealing with and can offer ways for you to quit being his crutch and force him into taking control of his addictions. Otherwise, you are both destined to continue repeating the cycle and he will eventually find himself locked up for a good part of his life. Which is ON HIM!!! It is through HIS choices, and nothing you can do will change that unless HE wants to change.

Itsy_6
12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I am guessing its DTF? They are staffed by CDCR employees and they have pretty strict rules, I guess it depends on if he can follow the rules and stay out of trouble, if he can't they will roll him up and send him back to prison.

What is a DTF ??? is that the name of the facility ? Will they send him to a halfway house that is close to where his family lives ?
Is there any sort of waiting list he has to get on or any out of pocket expense that i will have to pay for him ?

kima
12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that there will not be any expenses for you if this is something the state is ordering him to do, but other than that I don't have any answers for you, sorry. What I really just wanted to tell you was how you made me smile. The way you described your dad as "a ball of sunshine" really tickled me for some reason. That, and telling us not to be afraid to "burst your bubble", lol. You go, girl - and I hope you have an easy birth and a healthy, beautiful baby!

2sleepy
12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
DTF is Drug Treatment Furlough, it's a program run by CDCR that allows an inmate who has completed an in prison substance abuse program and meets other requirements (no violent crimes) to leave the prison and serve there last 4 months in a community faciity that is run by CDCR and has at least one CDCR employee on staff at the facility.

Itsy_6
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
How long are the subtance abuse programs ? My hubby is supposed to be mainlined anyday now and feb is really right around the corner hes suppose to be released jun 10th
So if he does not complete the substance abuse program he wont go to the half way house ?

DTF is Drug Treatment Furlough, it's a program run by CDCR that allows an inmate who has completed an in prison substance abuse program and meets other requirements (no violent crimes) to leave the prison and serve there last 4 months in a community faciity that is run by CDCR and has at least one CDCR employee on staff at the facility.

2sleepy
12-31-2008, 09:48 PM
If his counselor signed him up to go, don't worry about him completing any other programs, I'm sure his counselor is aware of his circumstances and wouldn't put him in the halfway house if he was not eligible

Itsy_6
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
One last question
I finally talked to him last night and he said hes suppose to go to committee next week what is committee ?

2sleepy
01-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Committee is the term for the people in the prison who meet with the inmate to determine placement (and other issues as well, such as disciplinary matters) it is frequently staffed by three people, usually one or two Correctional Counselors and a Captain or Assistant Warden- I don't have it in front of me but there are rules about who can and can't sit on an ICC.

KMSinCali
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Yes, he has been offered many chances to grow up and yes, he NEEDS to grow up. I do admit enabling him through much of our marriage and even through this past year of separation. He relapsed in July 2007, after 2 years clean, and slowly, slowly continued on a downhill spiral. He wanted out of the house, away from me, and met up with some girl that enabled his addicition and supported his habit. All last year, he kept getting into more and more legal trouble.

I often get stuck on thinking about the 2 years he was clean and what went wrong that made him want to start using again. But there are so many variables, it's not black and white like I would like to think.

Right now he wants to be on his own, find his own path. I'm not happy about it. I'm angry and resentful, but I'm trying to be supportive. I'm not supporting him financially, so I thought I could do some research for him before he is released so he at least has some numbers to call. Basically, I'm trying to be a friend.

And going back to NA might be helpful. I'll think about it. Thanks. :)

stacy16
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
My brother is currently at Avenal State Prison and wrote me telling me that I need to find him a halfway house that is run by the state and has a parole officer on the premises. I have not found anything of that nature in San Diego county. I think he is just freaking out and has not done any research on paroling. If anyone has any info on this matter or on halfway houses in san Diego or San Luis Obispo county I would really appreciate it.

kima
01-20-2009, 07:59 PM
What prison is he at, and what county is he supposed to parole to? Usually they have to parole to the county of their last legal residence, but there are exceptions to that. I can get you a lot of info, but I need a little more to go on.

kima
01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Okay, I saw that he is in Avenal and I was editing the above message and posting a bunch of links, but the time ran out for editing. I haven't heard of there being any such thing as a parole officer on the premises (I think he may be mistaken about that, lol). He should contact his counselor at least 3 months before paroling to start getting things going. He will need someone on the outside to be an advocate for him, and start calling all these places. A lot of programs want a face to face meeting with the parolee before they will place him, but hopefully you will find a program that will work with you (and him) on getting things in place before he's released.

Community Connection Resource Center
The Community Connection Resource Center offers comprehensive services for recently released offenders. These services include drug counseling/sober living houses, vocational training assistance, job development and placement, social services assistance, one-on-one counseling. It provides referrals for housing, as well as transitional housing for six months. It also has a youth program available. It is necessary to call for an interview/appointment. Community Connection Resource has centers located throughout the state (none near San Francisco or Oakland) where 3,000 to 3,500 recently released offenders are serviced annually.
Executive Director
Community Connection Resource Center
4080 Centre Street, Suite 104
San Diego, CA 92103
619-294-3900
http://www.community-connection.org/

Second Chance/STRIVE
Second Chance serves individuals with a criminal history, long-term unemployed/underemployed, or homeless people. Using the STRIVE model, Second Chance encompasses a three-week job readiness program. In addition to assistance with resume writing, clothing and interview techniques, soft skills such as eye contact and hand shaking are taught. Upon completion of the three-week program, graduates of the program attend a job fair. STRIVE program graduates have a 95% employment rate. Job developers are also available to assist individuals who do not enter the STRIVE program to develop skills enabling them to do a job search on their own. These individuals also attend the monthly job fair held by Second Chance. Transitional work experience is also available for those people who have never worked or have not worked in many years. This allows participants to gain entry-level work experience with the goal of obtaining permanent employment.
6145 Imperial Avenue
San Diego, CA 92114
619-234-8888
619-234-7787 fax
E-Mail: secondchance@secondchanceprogram.org (secondchance@secondchanceprogram.org) Web Site: www.secondchanceprogram.org (http://www.secondchanceprogram.org/)

Re-Entry Prison and Jail Ministry
(619) 426-4557
P.O. Box 620
Chula Vista, CA 91912
reentry@reentry.org, www.reentry.org (http://www.reentry.org)
Provides parent education, self-help support group, information, referrals, mentoring, religious ministry, community residential program, public education, advocacy, legal services and information for inmates transitioning back into society.

SD Rescue Mission, 12 month residential men's programs
http://www.sdrescue.org/programs/programsformen.php (http://www.sdrescue.org/programs/programsformen.php)

Community Resource Directory (a lot of links)
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Community_Resource_Directory/PDFs/CommunityResourceDirectory.pdf

Another directory with lots of link
http://www.reentry.org/Directories/2004ND.pdf

stacy16
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
You are awesome!

Cops wife
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
You can go on line and google search sober living homes in your area. I hope that helps.

kellyfan4life
05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I was wondering what qualifications does an inmate have to have to go to a halfway house? Do they have to apply to go to or are they just sent?

1proudwifey
05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I was wondering what qualifications does an inmate have to have to go to a halfway house? Do they have to apply to go to or are they just sent?

Is he In the SAP program.

blamsangel
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to find a family member

Does anyone know how I can contact someone that's staying at the Orion House (Parolee Center)in Van Nuys, California? I can't seem to find any information anywhere.

Thank you so much

kima
09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Try this (not 100% sure it's the correct number, though):
Telephone Number: (818) 780-5139. Fax Number: (818) 780-2540.

Queen Spade
09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
with parole issues & he isn't even released yet!:angry: First, they denied my husband paroling to our home. They are sending him to a homeless shelter 55 miles from our home. So I called the shelter to make arrangements & ask them some questions about their program. When I spoke to my husbands parole agent, I let him know that I would make the drive every week end so my children and I could spend time with him. I told him that we would rent a motel room Friday nights & stay through Sunday. No problem, he really wants me to remain "supportive" of my husband. Well, when I spoke to the case worker at the shelter today she told me that he isn't allowed to leave for even ONE night! She said "parole won't allow him to leave the shelter". Okay, so then what is the point of parole if he is just going to be incarcerated at a shelter now instead???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

RBecca
09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. What are his parole restrictions? Is it county issues, city, etc? I don't understand if you're married why they wouldn't let him come home. I wish I could help you. But just know my prayers are with you and your family.

DavidsGirl4Ever
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
That is ridiculous! It sounds like they are just moving him from one prison to another.

Queen Spade
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. What are his parole restrictions? Is it county issues, city, etc? I don't understand if you're married why they wouldn't let him come home. I wish I could help you. But just know my prayers are with you and your family.

He has an administrative relocation condition on his parole. He can't reside in the same county as his 'victim' while he is on parole. He has had no contact with her since 2002, they "tracked" her down and she chose to invoke her victims rights. I just don't understand how they expect us to maintain any sense of normalcy or keep our marriage strong if I can't spend ANY alone time with my husband.

Shari
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
What if you get a letter written by his parole agent saying he gives your husband permission to leave the shelter on the weekends to spend time with his family. Maybe if the shelter requires it the letter can say he can be absent from the shelter from a certain time Friday to a certain time Sunday and he has to be back there by that time or get into trouble. If the parole agent already told you it was ok with him I do not see why he can not write a letter to that affect to give to the shelter.

Mbyrd
09-10-2009, 08:49 PM
with parole issues & he isn't even released yet!:angry: First, they denied my husband paroling to our home. They are sending him to a homeless shelter 55 miles from our home. So I called the shelter to make arrangements & ask them some questions about their program. When I spoke to my husbands parole agent, I let him know that I would make the drive every week end so my children and I could spend time with him. I told him that we would rent a motel room Friday nights & stay through Sunday. No problem, he really wants me to remain "supportive" of my husband. Well, when I spoke to the case worker at the shelter today she told me that he isn't allowed to leave for even ONE night! She said "parole won't allow him to leave the shelter". Okay, so then what is the point of parole if he is just going to be incarcerated at a shelter now instead???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It would seem to me that the shelter does not make the rules as far as whether your husband can leave or not. That would be up to his parole agent, and if he says it's okay, then it should be okay. I would talk to his parole agent again and ask him what's what.

2sleepy
09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Would it be possible to find him a room in a sober living house, or halfway house? It sounds like that is the shelter's rule and they are using the parole officer as an excuse...

Harv*sGirl
09-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I agree that the rules are that of the shelters, not the parole agent. I know that the two shelters here where I live do not allow people to have even one night out. I don't really know what to suggest... maybe like 2 sleepy said, a half-way house or something. If you feel comfortable posting what county your husband is paroling too maybe some PTO members might know some resources in the area.

2sleepy
09-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I checked around for a sober living house for my son since his parole transfer to Nevada is delayed, and they rent rooms for $400-$650 a month, some of them even include food in that..

Queen Spade
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I spoke to his Parole agent today & he was helpful. It was funny, first he asked me if I was asking for his permission for a conjugal with my husband!! :thumbsup: He said that he feels I need to be there to support my husband as much as possible & that the shelter has VERY strict rules. He said he will talk to the social worker at the shelter and let them know how he feels about our situation. He is paroling to Butte County.

jimcook546
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Thank you Kima for the excellent resources. I have worked with the Human Kindness Foundation (Bo and Sita Lozoff) and AA's Contact On Release (COR) program since my felony release many years ago. Often the inmates that are getting close to that gate are absolutely panicky about finding housing - your information will help me to help others. It is deeply rewarding work.:thumbsup:

jimmy d. felon

Enchanted Wolf
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Okay, I saw that he is in Avenal and I was editing the above message and posting a bunch of links, but the time ran out for editing. I haven't heard of there being any such thing as a parole officer on the premises (I think he may be mistaken about that, lol).

When my husband needed a place to stay after getting out of prison, his parole officer gave him a choice of 2 different places in LA area that are state run with a parole officer in house. Now this is not MY HUSBANDS parole officer, but he is there, for what purpose, I have not seen yet.

If you go on the CDCR website and click on PAROLE and then down the side there should be headings on the right side of page "Maps" and then click on "Google based Division Resources..." and then they give a bunch of choices you can click on, and they will show you on map where they are located... I clicked on "Treatment and Recovery Program STAR" and it showed the 2 choices his parole officer had given him... the Hollywood House and the Orion House.... both state run.

I tried this for San Diego area and they showed 2 houses called Substance Abuse Treatment and Recovery Houses, one in Chula Vista and the other in El Cajon... or just ask his Parole agent... he should be given his/her name about 3 months before release...

leona mom
06-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Can anybody guide me about the proccess for placement in a halfway house? I would really appreciate any input.

kima
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
If it's for someone getting out of prison, you just need to start contacting the various places in the county they'll be released to and find out from them the requirements. It depends on what they will need - drug/alcohol rehab, Christian, reentry services, etc.

If you post the county and the needs, I can send you some links you can check out. A lot of the places will require the soon-to-be parolee to contact them up to 6 months in advance. It just all depends...

leona mom
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
If it's for someone getting out of prison, you just need to start contacting the various places in the county they'll be released to and find out from them the requirements. It depends on what they will need - drug/alcohol rehab, Christian, reentry services, etc.

If you post the county and the needs, I can send you some links you can check out. A lot of the places will require the soon-to-be parolee to contact them up to 6 months in advance. It just all depends...

:thumbsup: Riverside County, drug rehab. My son is talking about finishing the prison term in a halfway home. Is it the same thing you are giving me info about? Sorry, I am new to all this and not sure what to do.
:o Thanks Kima

kima
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't think he can finish his term in a halfway house, I've never heard of this before. I know he can go to a halfway house when he's released and on parole.

Here's some Riverside County contacts and links:
http://www.calpia.ca.gov/Inmate_Development/Brochures/Riverside.pdf

http://www.soberhousing.net/riverside_county.html

http://rainbowaddiction.com/ListAgencyInfo.aspx?DirectoryID=06065&ChapterID=68&ds=Riverside

http://soberliving.interventionamerica.org/citydirectory.cfm?State=CA&city=Riverside

leona mom
06-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks a lot Kima for the resourses and info. Have a wonderful day! God bless you.

leona mom
06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I have read in this forum about somebody that was sent to a halfway home to do the last 6 months of his time. That is what my son is asking about, do you have any info about that? Thanks.

Shari
06-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I think for that he has to by in the SAP program. I am not 100% sure but from my memory that is the only way I have ever heard of that happening.

2sleepy
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I have read in this forum about somebody that was sent to a halfway home to do the last 6 months of his time. That is what my son is asking about, do you have any info about that? Thanks.
That is part of a program implemented under SB 1453. It applies only to inmates who have completed an in prison SAP program, and they have to have NO violent or serious priors. They are transferred to a half-way house between 120 and 30 days before their parole date. The programs are 'managed' by CDCR meaning there is a parole agent assigned to the facility. IF they complete the program, which I believe is 150 days, they discharge their parole. I am not sure if they are even still funding this program anymore since they made so many cuts. But if your son is in a SAP program, or completed one, have him talk to the CDCR counselor who is in charge of the program at the prison, they should be able to give him more information.

leona mom
06-10-2010, 02:55 PM
That is part of a program implemented under SB 1453. It applies only to inmates who have completed an in prison SAP program, and they have to have NO violent or serious priors. They are transferred to a half-way house between 120 and 30 days before their parole date. The programs are 'managed' by CDCR meaning there is a parole agent assigned to the facility. IF they complete the program, which I believe is 150 days, they discharge their parole. I am not sure if they are even still funding this program anymore since they made so many cuts. But if your son is in a SAP program, or completed one, have him talk to the CDCR counselor who is in charge of the program at the prison, they should be able to give him more information.

Do you or anybody have any idea where or how I can get info. about that program? he is in PVSP and are most the time in lockdown, so it is very hard for him to be listened to or to get any info at all, and from what I've heard; PVSP does not have an SAP.

2sleepy
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Do you or anybody have any idea where or how I can get info. about that program? he is in PVSP and are most the time in lockdown, so it is very hard for him to be listened to or to get any info at all, and from what I've heard; PVSP does not have an SAP.
The only way they can get into that is by completing an in prison SAP program, if the prison doesn't offer one, then he can't get in the program. Anyway, with all the budget cuts I am not even sure they are still sending people to drug treatment furlough. You can call his counselor or the wardens office and see if they can tell you more, that's all I can think of

Shad's BabyGirl
07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi! Does anyone know if the parole board forces the parolee to go into a halfway house if the parolee doesn't have a steady place to live? What if they will have a hotel room waiting for them? Do a lot of parolees "self parole"?

Shari
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
No they do not force them to go into a halfway home. They can stay in a hotel. All I can say is what my guys PO made him do when he was staying at motel. He had to call in every day and let her know what motel he is staying at, the room number, and a phone number to get in touch with him.
I ahve know a few guys who have self paroled but if they do that they usually have to check in every day until they have a permant address that the PO can go and check out. This is just my experience.
My guy was "homeless" for about three weeks before he found a place to live.

Shad's BabyGirl
07-16-2010, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=shaa;5531874]No they do not force them to go into a halfway home. They can stay in a hotel. All I can say is what my guys PO made him do when he was staying at motel. He had to call in every day and let her know what motel he is staying at, the room number, and a phone number to get in touch with him.
I ahve know a few guys who have self paroled but if they do that they usually have to check in every day until they have a permant address that the PO can go and check out. This is just my experience.
My guy was "homeless" for about three weeks before he found a place to live.[/QU THANK YOU! that seriously helped me to relax! Did the parole officer come by the hotel ever? Not that we're gonna do anything illegal but i just want to be prepared.

Shari
07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
No she did not come by, I think they just wanted to know in case something happened they know where they are. The paper that was given to C even said if you are living in a car you need to give them the address where the car will be parked that night and the nearest cross street. Just remember if that is what happens to make sure you call every night by the time they tell you to so that they do not have a reason to go and check up on him. Its funny cause C actually ended up staying in a cheap motel about a block or so away from parole when I left.

towngirl
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
My husband's going to the Board in November. His lawyer told him he should have a halfway house lined up. I have a home so I don't know why he's saying this (I have a call in to him to find out more). At any rate, does anyone know of a halfway house in Sutter County? I've been looking on-line but any help would be appreciated.

Cops wife
07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
You can try 2 things ..... Contact Lori Harrah, Assistant Director of the Human Services Dept. Sutter County at 530-822-7238. See if she has any recommendations or can tell you the licensed facilities there.

The other is to Google SOBER LIVING for Sutter County.

Good luck to the both of you.

Cops wife
07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Also, there is Buddy's House in Yuba City. Long or short term drug/alcohol rehab and sober living. 866-801-8205.

Also, you can contact the parole office and ask them about halfway houses in the area. They definately should have info.

Sister1009
08-23-2010, 03:20 PM
My brother is preparing for his first parole hearing and is researching options for housing when he gets out. We're aware that they usually deny first time around....but everyone is hopeful.

He will parole to Shasta County, CA and most likely will be able to stay with family. However, he would like to show that he has multiple housing options upon release.

Does anyone know what the options are (or the best place to look) for half-way houses in Shasta County--especially Redding and surrounding areas.

Thanks!

towngirl
09-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Thanks so much for the information. I went to the Parole office and got a list of halfway houses. Tried a few places. Finally hooked up with Buddy's House. They say they will take my husband.

FYI, our attorney said the Board may require him to go to a halfway house, for some transition time, because of the long length of time he has been in.

One more thing crossed off my list of things to do.

socal729
09-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Does anyone know anything about Amity Ranch in Vista? It is run by the Amity Foundation The campus houses a Therapeutic Community for parolees from Amity’s prison communities. The Vista Community offers students a structured environment and continued education in developing tools that will support personal growth and change.
I know the description but am wondering about services ... being able to work, leave for the weekend etc. If anyone has any info or know someone who has been there please post or PM me
Thanks

Peach&Cream
01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I've searched the web, but I trust the info put into these threads :)

If you know of any Halfway Houses in Santa Clara County and or San Joaquin County please provide the names and phone number if possible.

Thank you kindly.

annabellaboese
07-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Looking for information on the Rules and Regulations at the Cornell Corrections in Oakland Ca. My fiance has is scheduled for early Dec. I have been unable to find anything on the internet for this RRC. I would appreciate any information any one has. I have only been able to locate the SOW for the contract between Cornell and the BOP...help? Is there a website? Has anyone had any experience with the RCC? Thanks, Anna:hmm:

2sleepy
07-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Looking for information on the Rules and Regulations at the Cornell Corrections in Oakland Ca. My fiance has is scheduled for early Dec. I have been unable to find anything on the internet for this RRC. I would appreciate any information any one has. I have only been able to locate the SOW for the contract between Cornell and the BOP...help? Is there a website? Has anyone had any experience with the RCC? Thanks, Anna:hmm:
Isn't that a halfway house for federal inmates? I don't know anything about it, but you might want to post this in the federal prison forum http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=602