View Full Version : My two cents on James Frey's Disgrace

witchlinblue
01-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Regardless of whether his book is a lie or the truth, I think its not even important since all of his book is what happens to many addicts every day in many countries. His lies could never be an excuse for addicts to not get help as they are reporting in CNN. People should not forget that addiction is very tragic and the lives of addicts are too, not just their loved ones. Some go threw more than others but I can tell you honestly that his book is nothing spectacular in many addicts eyes including mine. I was not shocked by any of that book. The stories he told shocked the world for sure but not that it isnt true, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. More than that happens.

Addicts do kill themselves in rehabs, prisons, back alleys, so the fact that he lied about that doesnt mean it doesnt happen. Addicts get teeth pull with out pain killers or freezing all the time though Ive never heard of a dentist doing it. He has probably heard a lot of stories from long term addicts when he was in rehab and took it on as his own. At least he is telling someones story.

They are reporting today that the fact that his book is now a farce it will make family members reluctant to send their addicts to treatment. I dont believe that for a second and Im sure that there are many that will agree with me. A family with an addict onboard knows very well the hell that the addiction world holds. An addict knows even more and very seldom does an addict tell the whole horrors involved in an addicts life because its a very shameful thing to admit. I figure he has heard these stories in group at a rehab or something, that is the only place I know of that an addict might come out and tell someone some of the horrors of addiction. However that is suppose to be confidential. Oprah should not feel hurt but realize this is just part of who addicts are, they lie and some of them lie well and never break the habit. Just because he wasnt as terrible of an addict as his book made out, he did tell a story of addiction that is not far from many peoples truth's, though a distance from his experience.
The book should still be considered valuable though as fiction and hope now that he has come out with the truth he will tell where he got these stories from because they are most likely from other addicts.

JustLisa
02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I agree with you 100% on what you said...

BlueEyes01
02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I aggree with you 100% also, and I wish Oprah Winfrey would leave him alone.

tattoodiva
02-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Hell for me it convinced me that is really an addict. I am an alcoholic and I know that we are a bunch of liars. The only way I am honest today is by having god in my life but I am not capable of being honest on my own. When I was a kid I would tell my parents I was going to Jennys house when I was going to Tonis house just to lie. So his lying told me he probably is really one of us. God help him.

witchlinblue
02-10-2006, 06:31 PM
You are certainly right and in fact Oprah now knows what its like to converse with an addict just like millions of us do. You can eventually get some of the truth but it can take years and even then you never really know what is the truth for sure. There will always be some truth sprinkled in it somewhere but mostly padded by lies.
Perhaps this is a good lesson for Oprah so you knows what millions of us go threw who have relationships with addicts. I certainly admire that woman but sometimes learning something first hand is the best way to know its true face.
Thank Tattoodiva for your honesty and Im glad you have found truth in your life.

AmyLynn
02-11-2006, 04:27 AM
You are so ture.. I did see that he has another book out. I cant remember the name of it. but it has to do with Larry from his 1st book I think..

witchlinblue
02-11-2006, 08:11 AM
My Friend Leonard is the name of the other book.

BlueEyes01
02-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I read that book straight through in one day, I could not put it down. I dont care if its all made up, because it is very rare that a book grabs me as that one did. I am sure he is sorry that he made it a Memoir now, I bet he wishes he just made it a fiction.