View Full Version : This is it! I QUIT Two Days Ago! (Smoking...)

Ken
06-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Hey everyone...

This is it... I pray there is strength enough in me to make this happen - Today I quit smoking...

Yes, the last cigarette was last night - enjoyed while reading a PTO thread....

I have read that you are to tell as many people as you can so that you have as many people to be 'responsible' to as possible!

I have quit before and who knows why I ever started again - the last time that I quit I was clean away from cigarettes for almost 4 years.

Teddy just quit a couple of weeks ago - and my thought it that if he can do it locked in a cell 22 hours a day then I sure have no excuse...

This is first and foremost for health reasons - preventative health reasons. Secondly this is because I feel like an outcast as a smoker (no offence to anyone that currently smokes) as where I live you cannot smoke anywhere but outside in the street. I am tired of running out the door to the side of the building when I am at work to hide out and smoke. Thirdly it will save a huge amount of money. Smokes in my Province are around $7.50-$8.00 a pack depending on where you buy them. The last carton that I bought I paid almost $60.00

I am not quite doing this cold turkey - I am using the patch. I used this last time and it worked for me, so I will use it again.

I am going to do my best not to be grumpy... lol

Any support that any of you can offer - whether it be in good thoughts, prayers, vibes, words of wisdom... - all is welcome!

I can do this! I will do this! I am stronger than this addiction!

Chevygal55
06-22-2003, 06:36 AM
WOW.... Thats Awesome Teb!

I hear ya on the health reasons... I messed myself up big time from smoking! Best of luck to you! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Hilde Bogaerts
06-22-2003, 07:25 AM
To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times. ~Mark Twain
just to help you...nahhh teb, you can do this!
Thank you for Not Smoking. Cigarette smoke is the residue of your pleasure. It contaminates the air, pollutes my hair and clothes, not to mention my lungs. This takes place without my consent. I have a pleasure, also. I like a beer now and then. The residue of my pleasure is urine. Would you be annoyed if I stood on a chair and pissed on your head and your clothes without your consent?

If we see you smoking we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action. how is that???
you can do this, you did it before!!! you are one strong person teb! you do this now and make us all proud! Hilde!!!

cepora
06-22-2003, 08:11 AM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

lulu
06-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Way to go teb. I myself is having to quit as well. :( it is hard for me. But i have no choice. I will explain to every one later.

Teb, :) good luck fellow

chic-rock
06-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!

mrsdragoness
06-22-2003, 08:28 AM
I wish you luck!!!!

Buy sugarless candy - that helps the "GEEZ, I want a smoke NOW" willies!!!

mrs. d

B-Ray
06-22-2003, 08:35 AM
I'm behind you ALL the way guy!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many times I've tried, even the watching the watch swing, thingie, gum and patch.

I like this guy I live with (me) but apparently not enough to take better care of him?

"if you don't take care of your body, where are you going to live"?

JJH
06-22-2003, 08:42 AM
You should try Wellbutrin for this. This doctor told my husband to quit 5 years ago and I took the Wellbutrin and quit...he didn't. I never thought I would be able to quit. This medicine is a miracle for some people who want to quit. I really didn't even want to and thought I would just give it a try...and it worked! It's an antidepressant too so that helps alot with the grouchyness. I started taking it again recently, when my son went to prison and it has helped me so so so much. Good Luck! I am so happy to have that monkey off my back. It controls you!

Ken
06-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Hilde - thank you very much but I am going to ask you to stay clear of me when you are having a beer! Thank you for those words however! LOL

JJH, unfortunately me and antidepressants don't mix... In the past struggling with a mild depression my doc has tried about 6 different ones... I get all the nasty side effects so I would not consider using them for quitting smoking - I do however know people who have used them and they are a great help...

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Everyone!

Anyone want to JOIN me???????

PTO is gonna be a tough one - this was when I lit up the most!!! That is two addictions rolled into one!

deb
06-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Someday.....I hope to quit too. I smoke mainly during 3 times---when I'm traveling (driving to see him), when I'm on the phone, and when I'm on PTO.... But, I smoke nearly a pack a day and have for years. I've quit several times and during a crisis I go back.... It's the one addiction I still have. Bill smokes and we've said that when this garbage is over and he comes home we'll quit together....

The cost hasn't gotten to me as I get them for $13. a carton here on the res.... It's just the congestion that gets to me..

Good luck Teb and I really hope you're successful with this...

Deb

Mimi
06-22-2003, 09:31 AM
I have had to quit a couple of times myself. The last time I smoked was November 7, 2002. I have to do it cold turkey, no other way works for me. I did not want one untill 5 months nto quitting, figure that one out?

Good luck!!! If you need to get support I am sure that there are enough of us quitters out here.

:)

Flowerchild
06-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Since you've quit for 4 years in the past, you already know the wonderful freedom you now have. No more having to make sure you have your smokes & lighter everywhere you go :rolleyes:, no more jonesing on airplane flights & movie theaters :eek:; much less anxiety when you're broke. :cool: (anybody will feed you, but they won't buy you cigarettes!) You smell better, you look better (better circulation to your face), you feel better. Your lungs thank you, your heart thanks you, your bank account thanks you. Best of all, your kisses are oh so much sweeter…your lover will thank you.

Congratulations on your decision to improve your life!

Adrienne

JJH
06-22-2003, 09:54 AM
I wish you all the luck. The first 5 days are the hardest I think. It gets alot easier after that. I like the way I can finally smell all the lotions and perfumes that I buy. And my car still smells new after having it for two years.
Here's some things that helped me through that first week:
Take walks
take cold showers
breath deep
Sleep
Stay busy when you are awake
Tell yourself the craving will get less after the first minute
Take one day at a time. If you slip, just start over and don't beat yourself up for it and give up. But remember that if you give in to one, it sort of messes with your mind and determination to quit. Remember that one leads to another.
Hope some of this helps you.
GOOD LUCK!

Lucrisid
06-22-2003, 09:57 AM
You are BRAVE!!! Wish I could join- I might even do so once I don't have all those kids around me...

The BEST of luck, Teb!!!

Tanya

TxRenee
06-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Teb!!!
Good Luck hon!! I stopped smoking 1 yr 7 months ago!!!
I still can't have much coffee its a huge trigger for me to smoke. I had to cut down on computer play time its a trigger.. and no booze. I am on the down hill slide though.
Good Luck and remember we are here if you need us!!!
*HUGS*

jdswifey02
06-22-2003, 11:06 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Teb!!! I know you can do it!!

On that joining you thing..... hmmmm...... been THINKING about quitting for awhile now....

When JD went to seg (a year and a half ago now...) he told me: "this is the perfect time for US to quit smoking, now that I am in seg..." I didn't quite see the logic in that the way he did.... just because HE is in seg and isn't allowed to smoke, why should WE quit?!? I thought maybe I should just smoke for both of us.... ;) :D

I know I should.... I know I could do it if I wanted to bad enough.... BUT......

Sunnie
06-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Teb

Good luck on the quitting smoking. It's one vice I still have. I am getting to the point where I want to quit., but not quite there yet. I don't smoke in the house anymore, especially since the baby came, or anywhere around kids ( MOST) of the time. The patch I hear works good, and that might be what I use when I do get to that point of quitting. Cutting down for me is a joke, because I can NOT smoke all day but once I light up, i make up for it. It's not smoking that first one I think!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Sunnie

kensbabe032999
06-22-2003, 01:45 PM
i just wanted to wish you luck. that is a hard habit to quit. my mom is going to try to quit smoking when she gets her dentures in, in a few weeks. she has smoked for 40 years, give or take a few years. lol and she isnt sick.
but like i said, i wish you all the luck in the world. let us all know how it goes.

terri

p.s. does anyone know if there is a way to keep the weight off after you quit smoking? my mom is 66 years old, and she is worried that she is going to gain weight. please let me know

Ken
06-22-2003, 04:09 PM
terri,

The best way to keep food cravings to a minimum - even if you are dieting - is to eat regularly spaced SMALL meals. Full meals but smaller and every three hours or so. If you keep this kind of habit then your body does not get into the craving mode... Also to drink a glass of water every time you get hungry and force yourself to wait 10-15 minutes before you put food in your mouth - you will not eat as much or even at all - you will get through the craving.

You do hot HAVE to eat more and gain weight when you quit smoking. The last time I quit I actually lost weight because my stamina was better in my exercise routines and I just worked out longer...

The not eating is the same as not smoking - you just have to make the decision NOT to eat more.

Thanks all for the encouragement! I will check back in tomorrow and update on Day Two!

Shan & Kev
06-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Wow!
Good luck to you.
THink of all the energy, the $$ and the great feeling of accomplishment you will soon have. June 30 is my quit date.
I quit for 5 months last year after an accident(stuck in the hospital with broken bones and morphine drip)..lol
I feel like such an idiot to start again. It is all mental with me and barely physical but I am planning on grabbing the patch to do it this time.
Keep us posted :)

~cheenna~
06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
the man TEB ... I am soooo proud for you ... your writing has such determination, I know you can make it ... anyone care to join you(?) oh wow, if only ... I suffer from several health problems, not the least of which is COPD and early stages of emphysema ... I wish I has a tab of will power for every time I have tried to stop to this killing addiction ... you will have many prayers on your behalf and good vibrations ... hugs and success to you ...

Hilde ~ LMBO ~ Teb, I'd stay clear of her when she's drinking as well !!

KRIS_NC
06-22-2003, 09:15 PM
GOOD LUCK TEB

Lysbeth
06-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Teb, you're a better man than I! Well, I'm not a man of course, but you know what I mean... :) I told Brian last time I visited that if he would quit I would... and he just laughed at me, LOL!

I participated in a university-sponsored cessation program last year and totally failed. I did learn quite a bit about tips & tricks to quit tho. One of the things that worked for me for the brief period I did stop was coffee stirrers! You know those little straws? I had a ton of them and kept them around to hold like a cigarette, chew on, even mimic smoking them, while watching TV, being on the computer, various other things. They ESPECIALLY helped on the drive to and from work, which was one of the worst times for me.

One of the program's tips was this - after you've made sure you've gotten rid of all cigarettes and lighters and ashtrays in your house - any time you want to smoke, go to the store. Buy a pack. Smoke one and throw the rest of the pack away. The idea is between the inconvenience of having to go to the store to get them and the cost of throwing away most of the pack, you'll get tired of it. I didn't try that one but I can see where it'd work.

Good luck my friend! I still have a supply of patches that was given to me after finishing (and failing) the study sitting in the closet. I look at them sometimes. :)

Lys

Lysbeth
06-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by tebkrg
I have read that you are to tell as many people as you can so that you have as many people to be 'responsible' to as possible!

P.S. Well, now you're responsible to about 4000 people (PTO members)!! Should be a piece of cake, dear! :D

Good luck Teb, I'm rooting for ya... if you can do it maybe even I can someday! :)

lulu
06-23-2003, 09:15 AM
deb that is cheap. we pay more then that here.,lol

aprilcat
06-23-2003, 03:10 PM
good luck, teb! i've quit 3 times, and i'm back on them again. *sigh* ac

DENIMBLUE
06-23-2003, 03:19 PM
:) GOOD LUCK...YOU WILL BE A RICH MAN! CIGS ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE...

Ken
06-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Day two is almost over !!!! All I have to do is not smoke TODAY. I will worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. (OH, and I am not going to smoke then either...)

JDay
08-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Just wondered how you're doing with the quit smoking challenge! Wanted to toss in my two cents worth of congratulations, and keep on keeping on! - and hang in there! - and you can do it! (I've been "clean" 8 years, one month and 6 days...but who's counting???? I'm starting again when I turn 80!)
Hope it's still working for you...
- Jane

Jeni
08-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Teb! Good luck! I tried once in the beginning of the year, went 6 weeks. Why I started again, I don't know. I tried again about a month ago. As much as I think I want to quit one day, the next day is a different story.
The patch was definitely a plus for me. It really does work if you let it.
I also heard about using Wellbutrin. Haven't yet, but am considering it now.
I commend you! Good luck and stick to it! I will be doing it too one day. One day soon!!!

LeaAnn
08-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Good luck and I would quit with you, but I do not smoke. I do know it is a challenge to succeed because I have been around people who have tried to quit and like they say take one day at a time :)

Lea-Ann