View Full Version : Welcome to the Native American Forum

David
06-20-2003, 04:22 PM
WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

Leonard Peltier, a political prisoner of the United States government, stated that the American prison system was the fastest growing indian reservation in America.

Odds are that if you are associated with communities of the First Nations, you know someone who is or was incarcerated due to the historical trauma suffered by the indigenous people of this land from first contact and even now, the inability to cope with our losses ends in incarceration. For many, however, prison is the place where many native women and men find the ways of their ancesters and begin to walk in beauty on the Red Road.

This forum is a place to find and offer support for those of us, who, in one way or another have found ourselves involved with the United States Prison System or walking with incarcerated First Nations People.

Take a minute and introduce yourself, your connection to the correctional system and what brings you to the Native American forum, here on PTO. Know you are welcome, here, for whatever reason you stopped by.

Ken
06-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Great! A welcome addition to the PTO family... I am looking forward to reading and learning here...

toi_ama
06-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks, FedX! I thought I just posted in a Native American section the other day? Is this part of it or a new part?

sodaigakko
06-20-2003, 07:52 PM
I am really pleased this forum now exists. (And I am sad my N.A.P.A.C. friend Morningsky_ndn is not here in PTO to see this day.) Yes, toi-ama, you post well. Please post more here and encourage others that we may learn. I am particularly interested in what Native American justice has to teach us about what the real objectives of sentence should be. Vengeance as an attribute and prerogative of one's Deity, and as a model for what is good, certainly wearies me.

skeeter
08-14-2003, 08:25 AM
I hear you have to pass some kind of test before you can become a native american indian religion. What kind of questions are on it?

toi_ama
08-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Skeeter, there's no test that I know of. Do you mean a test to be able to learn Native American spiritual practices? Are you part Native American? Or are you referring to the Native American Church? If you can give us more information, I think it will be helpful in allowing someone to give you a better answer.

skeeter
08-15-2003, 10:48 AM
I had just heard that prisoners had to take a test , maybe it was to prove they were native american, or involved in the church. I dont know much about it. I have a brother in prison and he said he had to take some kind of test to prove his religion[native american] so he could be moved to a different facility.

mamawen
08-26-2003, 04:07 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am to see this forum. I've even put in searches just for something like this. Thank you.
Wendy

mstar
09-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi! I'm fairly new to PTO. My husband is in state prison. 2 more years to go. He is Native American, I am not. He is part of a Circle inside, and that is really helping him. I have been doing lots of reading, but have lots more to learn. This forum looks like a good place to learn! Thanks! mstar

mamawen
09-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Welcome, mstar. I have found this site very helpful.
Wendy

toi_ama
09-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Skeeter, sorry it took me so long to get to this. Some prisons require proof of Native American ancestry before a prisoner can participate in Native American spiritual activities within the prison. Some prisons even go so far as to say you have to have a government card before they'll allow it. Texas is one of those I think. The Native American Church is different than the real Native spirituality in that it developed from a blending of Native American and Christian beliefs. I personally believe that if a person says they have Native American ancestry, that should be good enough, if they can give some sort of oral family history. As for people without the ancestry, I believe it should be done following tradition------if a Native American Elder deems the person should be included in the Circle, then it should be allowed. This isn't done lightly, so it's not done often. Indians are the only ethnic group that's expected to prove their ancestry-----no other ethnic group has to carry any kind of card or prove it in any way, by the way.

amarie
10-12-2003, 09:24 PM
hello im new to PTO and im glad to see something here is to help us natives. my boyfriend and are are both native. he has been in for 6 months now he is serving 18 months. but i am glad to have found PTO

toi_ama
10-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Welcome amarie. I'm glad you found us, too, and I look forward to getting to know you better.

samiam158
10-13-2003, 05:53 AM
and you know toi....the native americans alot of times kept quite...of their heritage to keep from being kicked off their land....i have cherokee in my heritage and we all know it but can not legally prove it...stories pasted from generation to generation doesn't help when the government thinks you want money...and we don't ...we just want to be reconized..

thunderingdrums
10-18-2003, 06:26 PM
I am an American Indian and I personally feel that no one should have to prove anything to practice any faith. If American Indian Spirituality suits you, you should have the Constitutional right to do what you want, in prison or not.....No other group of people has to say they are of any ethnic group, or have a "number" to be a Baptist, Catholic or what ever else they want to believe in. Besides the Jews when Hitler reigned, American Indians are the ONLY people in the world to have to have a number to be who they are.

In The Spirit Of Crazy Horse,
~Carol~

codapage
10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Hi my name is Coda and I am posting for the first time. I am Part Cherokee and I let myself fall in love with a man in prison who has recently transferred to a new prison in Washington State from Clallam bay Washington. He was in the native circle but recently he told me he wanted to fight his case and that he was not going to be in the circle anymore for a while. He spends a lot of time in ceremony alone and has helped other brothers out with their walks. I worry about him and I don't understand a lot of things. I have only known him for a year and to be honest falling in love with him is very confusing at times. I don't know how it came to this but he has changed my life. I am now close to his family and I talk to his Mother often. I live in SC 2000 miles away from him so we usually talk on the phone and through letters. I have Private Line so calls are 2.00 for 20 minutes. I guess I am rambling but this is the first time I have found connections to others who might understand what I can't seem to for myself half of the time. I am leaving on December 17, to see him for the first time. His Mother and Father are paying for it and I am going to stay with his family. I guess this doesn't make much sense but I will post it anyway. Nothing seems to make sense right now anyway.

Coda

mamawen
10-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Welcome, Coda. I hope your man's walk on the Red Road helps him out. I know what it's like to finally find somewhere where you feel connected.
Wendy

LadyHawk
10-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Yes, in Texas Native Americans are "forced" to take a written test in order to participate in ceremonies and circle. If they refuse to take the test they are not allowed to particiate and may be transferred to units that are not designated as Native American. My husband and I are working hard on this issue and have been in contact with NAPS, NAIRR and other organizations.

codapage
10-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks Wendy....

LeaAnn
10-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Well this great a place for Native Americans since I am a full blooded Mohawk Indian. I'm originally from New York, but live in Michigan.

mamawen
10-28-2003, 08:14 AM
My husband is Apache (Texas) and I'm Yaqui. We both walked The Red Road long before we met, although he's been locked up so long, he's never practiced on the streets.
Wendy

toi_ama
10-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Fred is from Texas and is Apache, too. Chiricahua Apache. I'm Cherokee. Fred has trouble finding resources for learning the language so I found a western Apache dictionary to send to him for Christmas. I don't know if western Apache is right, but if your guy would be interested in that dictionary, I can give you the name of it. Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have it.

mamawen
10-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Toi,
That would be soooooo cool. I'd appreciate the name. Thanks!
Wendy

shiningdrum
11-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Hi Shiningdrum here. I am so happy to see a new forum open. I am Half Oglala Lakota and Half Cherokee. My husband is full blood Ojibwa and a lifer. We have been together 23 years now. He recently got moved to medium security in Ontario Canada and is chief of the Native Brotherhood in the Prison. We are both quite traditional and the Red Road is the only path we journey on. He was 15 when he went in and we were teen lovers. We have 2 beautiful children and while being apart is stressful, we somehow make it work. It isn't easy but we both feel it is worth it. It will be so nice to share my thoughts with others who understand my beliefs and culture. Sometimes it gets so hard and so lonely here in the city. I take off to the bush whenever I can to talk to the animals and be with the Great Spirit. Warm thoughts to all who enter here.
Mitakuye Oyasin
Lina Shiningdrum

chippy_chick
11-07-2003, 08:00 AM
I am so glad that i found this forume. it is nice to have people to talk to that understand what is going on. i mean me and my brother both are Chippewa from Montana and it is nice that people understand our beliefs. My brother has been locked up most of his life in and out of one place to another and prison is where he found his belief. Alot of people ask me why i havent given up on him yet. they dont understand that the way we were raised is to always stand behind eachother and also we were raised that women are suppose to be the strong ones. Just like he is older then me by almost 7 years and i still feel like i am the older sister because i take care of him. I mean so many have given up hope on him and never could He is my bllod and I will always be there for him. I guess i kinnda vented sorry i had to finnaly get it out and i am hoping that the people here will understand what i am talking about
Terri Ackerman

codapage
11-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Hi Shiningdrum,

I have to say I am moved by your post. I have not known my soulmate out here I met him while doing research for a paper a few years back. We wrote for awhile and I connected to him through those letters.
I was abondoned by my Mom when I was 13 and have been alone ever since. Well except, I fell in love with someone when I was 14 who I ran with until he died. He ruined my chances of connecting out here in ways it seemed because we spent our time running all over the USA free toghther. I learned who I am through our travels. It seemed as I got older I was watching my soul die. Then I found in Ryan (Ryan is in prison) the free side of my self. He worked on the boats in Alaska and camped most of his last few free years. He had Chief stause in the prison he trasfered from and he is connected to himself and walks the red road as well as he can. I see a man who deserves my love and I know that if he were here I would want to be with him. I haven't wanted to be with a guy in a long time. Ryan has taught me alot about love. I don't understand it all yet but I know that somehow it all makes sense. We have a connection throuh birds and dreams.
Here I am inviting this situation in my life. You on the other hand have known your Husband out here. He has life you say. Ryan has 30 with 18 to go. I want you to know that I realize how strong you have to be to keep the balance for yourself. I realize that people deserve to be loved no matter where they might live. I also realize what a gift you must be in his life.
Do you guys try to connect through dreams and other spiritual means? I was born into that kind of thing so I have known about connetions and travel all my life but through Ryan I am actually learning to understand it all. I would like to hear what you have to say about that. It would be nice to chat about travels because I really am alone in my thoughts with Ryan except with Ryan and his Mother. Nobody understands my feelings for him as far as friends and family. Here I am thinking about marrying him and yet I can't even discuss him with a friend without an argument starting. Anyway I would like to know more about you.

Coda

mamawen
11-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the newbies. :) I am so happy to see some new "faces" around. My husband and I met while he was inside. He's got 10 years, he's been down 7, with 3+ more to go. His out date is Aug. 06.
Welcome, Relations!
Wendy

codapage
11-07-2003, 10:38 AM
A poem I wrote for Ryan

My secret is the way I feel even when I'm down
You see I found someone to love
And we are always laughing around
I walk in away that's hard to understand
Her spirit guides me when my feet are in her sand
I could pretend it's all so new to me
But Ryan, I love you like the sea
I saw this coming for a long, long time
And now your pain is kind of mixed with mine
Tempers flare when your hearts left out in the cold
You know a lonley heart like mine
Has a way of feeling old
The maddness doesn't seem so hard to understand
Now that I have my heart sitting in the palm of your hand
Now your pain is kind of mixed with mine

The time your spending gone is hard to give away
The world seems to just move on
As we both learn to connect and prey
Spiritual feelings somehow cover up the lust,
The suffering is really just another form of trust

The morning dew softly gathering on my flesh
Lights a fire that burns strong
As I think of the condensation of your breath
The walls around you seem to diasapear
I know they can't become my master game of fear

Copyright 2003 by Coda Page

shortstuff_13
11-08-2003, 02:20 PM
hello- just wanted to post a site to explore for your language,etc. it is www.indigenous-language.org i clicked in left menu on teaching materialsthen on top of new screen it will say 'choose language' good luck

mamawen
11-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks for that, shortstuff. BTW...I'm short too. :)
Wendy

Phil in Paris
12-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi Fellow Native Americans :)

I hope I am not intruding. It seems I've just discovered this forum today, but I must admit I read quite a lot of very interesting and informative things throughout the different threads you started. Besides, you all look like a bunch of friendly peaceful people.

I would like to ask you a question if you don't mind. What exactly is the "Red Road" ?? Is it something common to all Natives, or is it a one tribe specificity ?? Also, what are those "Circles" you all mention ??

Please, if you feel I don't have to ask such questions, feel free not to answer. I don't want to offend anyone.

Thank you
Phil

mamawen
12-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Hi Phil:
The Red Road, as many of us call our walk is similar to a Christian calling their belief system their "walk with God". It's just what we call our Ways...our Native Spiritual Ways, that is. It's sort of slang, if you will.

You are not intruding...don't ever feel that way. As long as people respect our Ways, we don't mind answering questions...unless it's about sacred things.

Take Care,
Wendy

WinyanTsumanitu
12-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Hau Kola's

Its is more the canku luta than just being used as a slang,it is way of life which goes way deeper than that and not all Indian although many tend to think so follow the red road at all,some have other beliefs,some have been caught in the ways of the vast majority. If you wish to learn more I would suggest that you read the book about the late Sicangu Lakota Holy Man - John Fire Lame Deer - seeker of visions. The stories was told to a man called Richard Erdoes and the book came in 1972 with the title: Lame Deer,Seeker of Visions
by John Fire Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes.
This bok shed light into many things and most of all take away the sterotype ideas of american Indians.
Walk in beauty
Mitakuye oyasin

Phil in Paris
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Thank you very much for your inputs Wendy and Winyan. :)

I will definitely look for this book.

Phil

Dakotagirl
02-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi everybody,

just wanted to introduce myself. I am fairly new to this forum, as I only found this website about a week ago. It is so interesting and I have found a lot of useful information already. Now it is time to say hello to all Native American people here! I myself am European, a woman from Austria, but my fiance is a Native American from South Dakota. We are planning to get married this year.

He was in prison for 12 years, and is now out on supervised parole. In prison he learned to cherish the traditional ways of his people, participated in the sweat lodge and other ceremonies they were allowed to have. Since he went back home to the reservation where all his family lives, he has been struggling and lost touch with his spirituality. Right now he is trying to get in touch with it all again. I hope that he will find his way back to the Red Road again, because he said it helped him so much to get through his time in prison.

Anyway, it is nice to have a forum for a Native American group here.
Thanks everybody for this great place to meet nice people!

winyan
04-10-2004, 09:20 PM
I had heard that was true, but was hoping it was not. Something will have to be done to change this. I have also heard Amerind inmates have to cut their hair, though Rastafarians are not required to do the same. There's definitely something wrong here.

winyan

Skeeter, sorry it took me so long to get to this. Some prisons require proof of Native American ancestry before a prisoner can participate in Native American spiritual activities within the prison. Some prisons even go so far as to say you have to have a government card before they'll allow it. Texas is one of those I think. The Native American Church is different than the real Native spirituality in that it developed from a blending of Native American and Christian beliefs. I personally believe that if a person says they have Native American ancestry, that should be good enough, if they can give some sort of oral family history. As for people without the ancestry, I believe it should be done following tradition------if a Native American Elder deems the person should be included in the Circle, then it should be allowed. This isn't done lightly, so it's not done often. Indians are the only ethnic group that's expected to prove their ancestry-----no other ethnic group has to carry any kind of card or prove it in any way, by the way.

winyan
04-10-2004, 09:23 PM
You are quite right SamIAm158, my aunt still refuses to consider herself Ind'in though my father was quite open about his heritage.

I'm so glad he was. He was also quite open to me about the 10 years he spent in prison in PA.

This was a long time ago, and he has now passed on, but I'm still fighting for Ind'in rights.

winyan

and you know toi....the native americans alot of times kept quite...of their heritage to keep from being kicked off their land....i have cherokee in my heritage and we all know it but can not legally prove it...stories pasted from generation to generation doesn't help when the government thinks you want money...and we don't ...we just want to be reconized..

reesa
07-27-2004, 03:14 PM
my husband is not native american but has been practicing with the native american community and you have no idea how much this has helped him spritually. He has found an unusual bond with the other guys and as a result has helped him get through this in a more positive manner. I could go on and on as to how these teachings have helped him grow and learn infact i am so thankful he has found such comfort in the native american teachings.

Smitty
08-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site, just registered. I have a brother in Buckeye Prison in Arizona. He is of the Pima Tribe, and I am of the Pima/Navajo Tribes.

I'm glad to see there is a forum out there for families of prisoners.

-Smitt

chintath
08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Welcome, Smitty. I write to several Natives, one is Pima/Navajo and another is Pima-Maricopa. I'm visited one's reservation in Sacaton this spring and am going to visit him this weekend. I have a Pima dictionary if you need some translations. Karen

Smitty
08-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Karen,
Where did you find a Pima dictionary? That's funny. I speak a little, but my grandfather died before I could learn the entire language.

I am from the Gila River Tribe which is in Sacaton. That's my community.
Enjoy!
-smitt

Wingy
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Glad you found us, Smitty..its a great place to chillout, learn a lil something and find the support that you may not find in your neighborhood...how's your bro holding up?

missingjr
08-16-2004, 07:57 PM
need native american sites

Wingy
08-16-2004, 10:41 PM
what kind of sites are you looking for? there's alot on here...

Smitty
08-17-2004, 06:24 AM
If you're looking for native american singles sites, there's www.rezfox.com (http://www.rezfox.com) for native americans only.

My brother is doing ok. He seems to be keeping his spirit up and looking forward to staying with me.

karenNed
08-24-2004, 03:14 AM
hello everybody,i am new name is karen, and my fiance is pomo,and he is in solano/vacaville,CA.,and i thtink they all should be able to practice what they feel, without any proof, ,well keep me up on anything new,thank you karen

ohiocommonsense
08-24-2004, 04:08 AM
There are specific requirements that vary greatly from tribe to tribe.
Ironically the slang for the document PROVING ancestry is called a "white card", it is a C.D.I.B. which stands for Certificate Degree of Indian Blood.
For example the US goverment only recognizes certain tribes. Each tribe has it's OWN standard Trust me, it is NOT a simple DNA test! I am CREEK but here is a CHEROKEE registration page with downloadable forms and links aplenty!

http://www.cherokee.org/Services/RegistrationPages.asp?ID=FAQs

ohiocommonsense
08-24-2004, 04:15 AM
WHAT happened to Morningsky_ndn (AKA Sandy) ? I knew her pretty well in Columbus, Ohio. Is she allright?
I am really pleased this forum now exists. (And I am sad my N.A.P.A.C. friend Morningsky_ndn is not here in PTO to see this day.) Yes, toi-ama, you post well. Please post more here and encourage others that we may learn. I am particularly interested in what Native American justice has to teach us about what the real objectives of sentence should be. Vengeance as an attribute and prerogative of one's Deity, and as a model for what is good, certainly wearies me.

ndn
08-24-2004, 08:20 AM
MorningSky_ndn is just fine and living in Wisconsin, I'm still a member here although my time is limited by my own work I do slip in and out unseen at times. That was an old post that you saw from before Toi Ami left (or was removed don't remember which) So don't worry about me I'm doing fine. Can't speak for Toi or Sodai.

ndn

David
08-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Toi is around so she can speak if she would like to..
Good to see you ndn, hope you have been doing well.

ohiocommonsense
08-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Thank-you! I even got a reply in my email from Sandy I do miss your most excellent coffee...I know she does not miss my ratty truck! I ain't had a good cup since you moved! It is nice to be part of a community!

MorningSky_ndn is just fine and living in Wisconsin, I'm still a member here although my time is limited by my own work I do slip in and out unseen at times. That was an old post that you saw from before Toi Ami left (or was removed don't remember which) So don't worry about me I'm doing fine. Can't speak for Toi or Sodai.

ndn

missingmatt
08-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi i am new to this site.My boyfrind i half Native American.He is Potowotami and 2 others please excuse me i forgot.I am not Native American.I think he said his tribes come from the ring of fire?Anyways i am intrested in learning about his tribes ,when i can remember what they are.We are haveing a baby and would like him to be invovled in the community and know where he comes from.

ndn
08-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi Michelle; Yeah we drank a few pots of coffee around my table ... was a good learning experience for me too. I miss those Brainstorms with Danny and others too.
Seems that Ohio has a real Activist heart. I still have the signs on my wall that Danny told me to never forget when dealing with the system. Glad you found PTO. Try the chat sometimes..I do get there when I have time.

ndn

ndn
08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Hello Dave;
Good to see our fearless leader still watching the board. I haven't been here much but trying to get back more. Been really busy trying to put things together for the Transitional Community that I want to build. I've been working with prisoners Inside and now want to expand to those coming out. Gonna keep me hoping for many months but NAPAC is still in there swinging.
Hope you are doing ok. I was in chat the other nite. It's a busy place...

ndn

Wingy
08-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey! hi and welcome this is a good site for information...my advice, if you are interested in learning about Matts tribe and nation is to be real careful about what you read on the internet...theres lots of scams and frauds, the best way to learn is to involve yourself with the community...if they are not close, look for an intertribal organization, but again be careful of frauds, and you may not be welcomed with open arms, either...the first lesson to learn is to listen, answers to questions you may have will come to you. You may have to work pretty haard to gain the Peoples confidence and trust, the Elders will be watching, i guarentee it....

Anyways, The differnet bands of Potawatomie have websites and they are a reliable source of information...Jim Thunder, Sr has published a set of 3 vocabulary books that include tapes and CD's.

if your interested in the Potawatomi websites, just PM me I can send them.

luvzreeceycups
08-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Hello Everybody! My fiance' is Sioux and Blackfoot from Montana but grew up in Seattle. I'm Salish First nations from Canada! He is in a Canadian Correctional facility and has not been sentenced yet so this is a great place for me to learn about prisons. and just knowing that i'm not really going crazy by having all these feelings...lol and knowing i'm not alone with all this.

Wingy
09-01-2004, 03:14 AM
I have some websites with reliable information on Potawatomi culture, websites owned by the different bands of Potawatomi. I'll send the links if you like, just PM me.
Please be careful of what you pick up on the web...stealing from the First Nations People is a great american past time and its booming on the internet...

I think maybe Matt is talking about the Seven Fires Circle? A mediwin society of the Lakes nations...you wont find much of it on the net...

ksoccio1
09-01-2004, 04:17 AM

missingjr
09-01-2004, 06:50 AM
my hubby is lumbee & he has a tribal card where hes @ is mostly indians

ksoccio1
09-01-2004, 07:22 AM
I cant figure out how to work this yet.:confused: But I am on the tribal roll at the
Tonawanda Seneca Indian Reservation. I am of the Turtle Clan. Any one with info regarding this please PM me.:)

Mistify
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Is this Forum different from the Native American Forum? If so what's the difference in the two?

shiningdrum
10-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Up here in Canada. The Native groups have some basic beliefs that are similar if not the same but protocols etc are different. The Elders are regional and as the guys (and women) get moved around, it is hard to find an Elder with knowledge that is specific to your history and culture. Up here the non-natives sometimes attend round dances. I haven't heard of any of them accessing a Liason officer. They never asked for me when I was at the Max, at least not to my knowledge. It would be interesting to find out if the Canadian experience is different than the American and if each province is different. I will ask my husband what they asked him to do. He is non-status and LOOKS INDIAN. Up here that seems more important than paper. Still I will look into it to make certain I am not giving misinformation.

I do know that some Elders are really good with the men and others hardly show up. Institutional Elders have various degrees of skill and effectiveness. Some of the more traditional men won't even speak to an Institutional Elder as they see them as not being able to serve the Spiritual function if they have multiple motives for being there. EG their job/representative of the system/support for men/women/spiritual Elder. For some of the men I have worked with, they will not even sweat in prison because they believe the sweatlodge to be tainted. It makes for a difficult time beyond what the institutional rules about religious practices are.

My husband is a full blood Ojibwa from Pic River in Northern Ont doing Life with over 20 years in and up to 10 to go (3 to 4 we hope). I am from Pine Ridge in South Dakota and am half Oglala Lakota and on my father's side half Cherokee and Half Spanish (from Guatemalan Kechi people living in El Salvador). We have been together since I was 12.
Lina Shiningdrum

Wingy
10-15-2004, 04:44 PM
hello there Lina!! i dunno where my head is at lately, but i have had a hard time keeping up with things EVERYWHERE!!! It seems to me I read a post of yours from a year or so ago?? and then nothing for awhile and now here you are...or maybe i missed some in between posts...whichever, I am glad you are here...

PAPOUS
12-12-2004, 06:30 AM
I Am Cherokee My Name Is Becky Cormier And I Am Made To Understand That My Son Mark Trahan Is There From The Acadia Parich Correctional Facility In Crowley,la. Need To Know How I Can Talk To Him Online.please Help

sleepysgirl
12-27-2004, 10:12 PM
i'm not native american but my fiancee is and when he got to his new facility he had to get proff from his tribe to prove that he was native american. and the funny thing is he looks native but they wouldn't take his word or anyone elses word for it.

Wingy
12-28-2004, 02:43 AM
Welcome to PTO and the Native American forum, Sleepys girl. How's the weather up there in Wisconsin land? I head up that way for healing ceremonies in June, almost every year. didnt make it last year but am hoping to this year.

sleepysgirl
12-28-2004, 01:15 PM
thanks wingy well the weather is very cool. it's been below zero for the past 10 days. you don't want to leave the house. like i said i'm not native american but i would like to learn all i can because my fiance is menom and he is really into his culture and i respect him for that and believing in his back ground. i want to learn all i can.

dawn&ernest
04-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm Yaqui/Pima/Papago & Klamath my fiance is Navajo, Mexican & White what a combo ennit?? Anyway kinda new to PTO but just wanted to shout out to my native brothers & sisters.. I'm from southern oregon and my fiance is in eastern oregon.. far away from each other, but not that far.. they do sweats and drumming almost every other weekend.. that keeps him going which is really good, he's a lifer so we just keep the faith and pray to the creator that something awesome will happen.. thanks PTO..

Ravenslove
04-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Welcome Dawn. You will find alot of support here at PTO. You may want to also check out the lifer forum the ladies there are wonderful and would understand the special needs of a lifer wife. My Raven is Chiricahua Apache. I am Cree. Unfortunately where my man is they will not allow him to sweat or drum or anything to do with his heritage.

Wingy
04-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Hi Dawn...Welcome to PTO I am glad you found us...

warparty
04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
hello people,,,im warparty,,,,i am a former inmate from the texas gulag system,,and also native american,i am oglala lakota sioux,,,just a quick post to say hi

Wingy
04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Welcome, Warparty...I hope you are finding life on the outside an easy adjustment, and everything is working for you...We're real glad you found us, there's plenty of people hear happy to share the experiences and lessons so if you need anything give a shout!!!

ojibwe_n8tive
04-05-2005, 10:42 PM
can people in prison talk online? and does anybody know what the percentage of native american women are in prisons?

sarah_n_kc
05-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Is so glad to see a new forum,is Cherokee and is very greatful to Creator for all the people at P.T.O. After my last experince with the Kansas D.O.C. It was a breath of fresh air to know their are others out there that have been where i am,and are willing to help in a persons time of need.
May You Always Walk In Beauty
Smokies sister Sarah

Eldon's wife
07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
My husband is half Lakota and half Gila Pima. He currently resides on Arizona death row, though we do have faith that someday this will change. I am a Texas blonde, who accepts the knowledge of my husband's traditions, as it comes to me.

I have one friend among this forum that I happened to find not long, after I found my husband. She has been a great help to me and a good friend. Things are simply meant to be, she and my husband tell me, quite often. I had never known a Native American in more than 40 years of life, suddenly a year ago, they filled my life with beauty. I know that they were meant to be and I am grateful, for thier gifts.

Wingy
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Sarah, Glad you found us...and have made this connection, a connection that will do its utmost to get you thru the times when the walking gets harder than you think you can bear. that is how its been for the Native People for 500 years...the guidance we recieve from our The Great Mystery's creations, our Earth Mothers nurturing abd the spirits who guide our lives. If we stay close to our traditions, these will indeed protect us and even with our loved ones in the iron house we can live in beauty and share that with those we love, helping them to find beauty in that harsh enviroment.

looking forward to sharing with you....

Wingy
08-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi Eldon's wife!!! welcome to our little but growing forum!!! I am sorry to hear your husband has been seperated from you physically, but I am sure you have learned that nothing...NOTHING...seperates the spiritual unless you allow it...

The ways of the ancients are what has allowed the Native People to survive. The teachings also serve us in the physical seperations fro0m are physical seperation from our loved ones and they from us.

One day, I am told, they will save our Earth Mother from destruction and us, her children...one day when the world listens. It happens slowly, one heart one spirit at a time. I welcome you to our little forum and to the beauty ways of life and living.

amanda8088
09-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone!

I am new to PTO, and am happy to see this site! I have a friend who is incarerated, wrongfully, for an attempted burglary. He is half Cherokee, and a great person.

He has lost his father, being thrown off the reservation in Oaklahoma with his mother, who is Causausian by his grandmother. His father's name is Fast Brown Owl, and should be full-blooded Cherokee from Oaklahoma. My friend only knows that his father was imprisoned by the Federal Prison, because he shot a marshall who was trying to remove a juvenile from the tribe for a "crime", and to my limited understanding, Tribal land is a Sovereign Nation, and the white law enforcement is to NOT interfere with Tribal Justice, as they have their own.

I have brought up the subject with him more than once, and he has lost everyone in his life, a wife from an overdose, and a baby sold to the "mexicanMafia " he told me for drug money, that his common-law wife sold the baby to them.

I realize that this is very sketchy and choppy, and I have such limited information.

All I know is that his mother, who is Caucausian has steadfastly refused to allow him ANY information on his real father. Thus, because of this, he has severed his relationship with his mother, because she will not tell him any information on what she does know about his birth father. I even offered to write her, and he refuses to give me her address, and his last name is a common one.

He is presently incarearated at Huntsville. Need I say more, for the last 20 years.

Is there any Legal Assistance available for wrongly incarearated Native Americans.

To me, it makes no difference that he is half Cherokee, as he practices the Red Path way of Life. And this man who has lost everything, will not give me any details of this injustice, only saying, it is being taken care of.

He is of course, indigent, and he has just now started his own website for artwork to support himself, and I am very proud of him for that accomplishment.

If anyone has any suggestions on who I can even contact for a Cherokee tribe in Oaklahoma, I am sure someone would have heard of a Native American incarearated, named Fast Brown Owl! I can't do much for him, but I do send money when i can, which he fought me about for almost a year, but it helped him, and he was very appreciative.

If anyone has any information on help in locating his father, he would be thrilled beyond belief to be in touch with him. As he won't allow me to help him legally, this is one thing I can do for him.

My name is amanda8088.

Thank you all, and May the Great Creator keep you Within his Light!

amanda8088

CCRsMOM
09-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Hello Amanda & Welcome to Pto,Native American Forum. I'm happy you found us. Here are two places you might start with to help in your search. Cherokee Agency BIA Cherokee, N. C. 28719~~or~~ Cherokee Nation, Registration Dept. P. O. Box 948 Tahlequah, Ok. 74465. If his father is on the dawes rolls, one of these places may have an address or send you to the right place to search. Hope this helps GOOD LUCK!!

Dale'sforever
09-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi Amanda, welcome to the Native American Forum!! :)

amanda8088
09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new and am totally lost!! i posted a thread two days ago here, I thought on the first page, and it was about locating "Fast Brown Owl" from the Cherokee tribe in oaklahoma. Now I can't find my post.

Could it have been moved?

Sorry......What am I doing wrong?

Amanda8088

kapi75
09-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Lets see how short & sweet I can make this for you. I am apache/piaute & my husband is navajo(Dine) & chickasaw. We met thirteen years ago & have been together ten of those years....all of this has been while he's been incarcerated. You don't have any control of who you fall in love with. If you truly love, in which I'm sure you do, then all you can do is stick by his side, encourage your boyfriend to be strong but most importantly support him in what he does. My husband has been incarcerated for nearly 20 years. I'm not sure how much more time he has before being released. My husband started to shut the outside world out & wouldn't allow anyone to get close to him. I am constantly reminding my husband that he's not alone in this fight, that there is someone out here that loves him other than his family. My husband & I are in Oregon & his family is in Colorado. What we've got to remember is that our loved ones are in a whole different "ball game." A ball game that we don't understand no matter how they try to explain things to us. Our loved ones do what they have to do in order to "survive." I personally wasn't looking for love, but love found me. My husband is absolutely everthing to me....he's my partner, my balance, my soulmate, my bestfriend, my hero & the love of my life...my rhyme & reason to & in life. There isn't a time that doesn't go by that I don't think about him. There isn't anything that I wouldn't do for him. Just know that neither of you are alone in these travels. Stay strong.

amanda8088
09-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Dear CCRsMomm and Kapi!

Thanks so much for your welcome and information. i really appreciate it. My friend said his father was imprisoned In Leavenworth or a Federal Prison for shooting a law enforcement officer, who came onto the reservation to remove a juvenile, which is not allowed for them to trespass.

He is a close friend, but isn't my boyfriend.

He has been in prison for 20 years on a false charge, and he won't allow me to try to get legal representation for him, if I knew where to even look.

I could check the prison locater for BOP, but is it possible that he would still be imprisoned after 38 years--his father, I meant to say?

I only know Fast Brown Owl, but I only know he is pure Cherokee from Oaklahoma.

My friend won't come out of his cell very often for rec or anything much ever!

Of course he has trust and abandonment issues, and I feel I understand why, so it isnt even an issue, if he comes across harsh.

For example, I sent him an Owl calender, a letter, and some other Internet printouts recently, and the mailroom lost them. So he was angry and told me he didnt believe I ever sent them.

We always work things out, and I don't take things personally. I hope someday he will get released, but he doesnt even come up for parole until 2034, because he was defending himself against an assault. TDCJ said that didnt even mean he would be released then, as there were no guarantees. Everyone knows how tough Texas is anyway, but c'mon! It really makes me angry!

So, he was just 18 when he went in, and he has now served 20 years for something he said someone else committed.

It is a disgrace than native Americans are treated this way!

Anyway, thanks to you both. I finally found my post, so I will write both places.

He wouldn't have a last name, right? Just his Native American name?

I really appreciate both of you for your advice, so thank you both very much!

I hope after all this time, his father is still alive, although it sounds awful to say.

Thanks so much for this section of PTO!

It is very much needed, and as all of you can see, it is very popular already, as their problems are even worse than other inmates, and being in the Texas system isnt any help!

Take care all!

If I find out anything, I will be sure to let you know!

amanda8088

ChrisGurl
10-05-2005, 12:58 AM
I had just heard that prisoners had to take a test , maybe it was to prove they were native american, or involved in the church. I dont know much about it. I have a brother in prison and he said he had to take some kind of test to prove his religion[native american] so he could be moved to a different facility.

Apparently in the Orange County jail system Native Americans don't exist. My fiancee is Apache/ Cherokee and they listed him as Mexican-Latin American at his booking because it was the closest option. Odd because there were catagories for Cambodians, Vietnames, Koreans, Chinese and lots of other specific countries. However there was not at least one broad catagory for Native Americans. I wonder how many Native Americans are in prisons under Mexican.....Oh, well.

Wingy
10-15-2005, 09:23 AM
thats sp unbelievablu pathetic, ChisGurl...and illegal...check in with your local AIM group and see what they can do...or the surrounding native communities...I'll see what i can find...

Brent's Mom
01-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Hello,
I never knew you were all here in all this time ,and am so glad to be a part of this as I have both Indian and Mexican in my history actually Sapanish and Indian. My Indian side is of the Apache and Navajo. I have a cousin that has the whole family tree and want to get it from her or a copy anyways. My son practise's the Indian faith and is very strong into it! He has been locked up since he was 21 and is now 35 yrs old. One day soon he will be out is what is in our prayers. 2007 is supposed to be the year! And I am ready. Thank you for letting me speak my peace here as now I feel at home!!

Wingy
01-26-2006, 02:46 AM
BB'S Mom, we are glad you found us!!! I am soooooooooooooo happy that you found us, and your son has fount the ways oif his ancestor's to get him thru this time. It is so true, that many do not find the traditions of our elder's until they are incarcerated. And that is probably the number one most hugest reason why our loved ones are locked up. without that knowing, as Indian people we find ourselves lost in this world...the ancestors ways that live in our blood are trying to guide us, yet we have no way to listen...This world is a very confusing place without the ancestral knowing of how to get by...that knowledge is timeless and basic. I look forward to your sharing with us, and hope we can offer you support, resources, and whatever it takes to get you and Brent through the long days and longer nights of your separation...

chintath
01-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Welcome Brent's mom. Hope you'll join our discussions and your son will continue to do well.

Brent's Mom
01-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Thank You All,
It means so much to be in a place where I am understood! It has been very hard since my oldest son was taken from me. In Texas the prisoners are there's they do not belong to you or anyone else. I was happy when he was in Amerillo as that is when he started to walk the path and relized who he was and proud of it. My anscester's have gone thru alot thru time and the road gets rough at times but in our beliefe our time will come. Justice comes in many forms and we belive we will have ours as my son is in there for something he never did and I can say that beacuse I was there along with my husband who is also half Indian (Cherokee) and my mother. But our words meant nothing to the courts. There was no physical evadence to speak of and it was a he said she said case! Well we knew from he start he would lose and I don't think I have to say why except she was white!
So this is my story and and my son has had to live out a nightmare for so many years untill he found his Indian brothers who have helped him so much I couldn't begin to thank them enough. He is grown now with alot of wisdom and has alot of talent as an artist. He says he is going to write and draw a book when he gets home to open many eyes as to what goes on in place's that he's been and maybe help some young buck learn a new way of life to keep out of trouble as not to end up in these place's. Thank you for reading and taking the time to see thru my eyes what we have been thru if only for a little while. He appreciates it to as he is very happy that I have found you as I wrote and told him and knowing him the way I do He will be thrilled. Thanks again. Cathy

Brent's Mom
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
I also wanted to thank you for your welcomes to this place as I feel it's an honor to be here . And I am willing to help in anyway that I can anybody that needs me. I am always here and glad to recieve you! We all must stick together as our people did so long ago.
so let me know if there is anything I can do for anybody!
Thank you again! Cathy

kalinkak
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
My friend had a horrible car accident in OK and was charged with murder and got 160 years. Need any direction for help. He never appealed and has limited funds but descrimination was an obvious issue can anyone advise.

chintath
03-20-2006, 08:32 AM
I wish I had some help for you, kalinkak. I hope you will keep searching and someone will see your post.

I would try AIM and any Native group in your area.

Good luck and keep us posted.

My friend had a horrible car accident in OK and was charged with murder and got 160 years. Need any direction for help. He never appealed and has limited funds but descrimination was an obvious issue can anyone advise.

Brent's Mom
03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Wingy, and those of you that have read my post will notice that I changed my name for the main reason there were too many BBS MOM's on here and getting us confussed. So now I go by Brent's Mom which I should of done to begin with. But what I said before I meant, if there is anything I can do for anyone within reason I will. My son is doing well and following the red road and have found alot of truth where he's at. It won't be long before he is home, and this I'm thankful for. I hope all is well with all of you! Thank you Cathy

Wingy
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
kalinkak, Chintath's advice is all that i would be able to offer, also...a starting place, at least. That and you have found us, a good place to vent and share and look for support...we are here for you

Brent's Mom, gotcha...a good choice on your part i think!!!

Valentina
03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Kalinkak -

Please check the Indian law center at the law school of Arizona State University. There is a very good bunch of people working for justice for natives out there. The main guy, I believe, is named Robert. 160 years? that's overkill. Best of luck.

weeyawakee
06-03-2006, 07:47 AM
my friend is native american in ohio. does anyone know of where he can go to get help for his situation. he was put in prison yesterday after six years of on and off trials and an unfair one at tht. any info would be helpful. thanks.

Ravenslove
06-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Welcome Weeyawakee, Unfortunately in Ohio there are not many that will allow American Indians to practice their faith. What prison is he being sent to. My Raven is in Ross and is the only listed American Indian.

Wingy
06-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Welcome, Weeyawakee...on the resources link, in our forum, you will find a link for different regional AIM groups...thats a good place to start...Also, the Band or Nation to which your friend belongs may have resources available or know where to point you...

MMCT
06-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Just Wanted To Say Hello To Any Native Women Out There. My Man Is In Asp Florence. I Have Been Visiting For A Month Now. He Will Be There For Two Years. Feel Free To Message Me Back.

Waiting For Martin

Wingy
06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey MMCT, thanks for stopping by...Hope your guy is getting along inside, ok...and you're doing ok on the outside...hope to see more of you on here....

CYN78829
06-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi My Name Is Cynthia & I'm Fairly New Here My Fiancee Is In A Tx State Prison And He Is In Bad Need Of A Medince Bag W/herbs And Stuff. Does Anyone Know Where I Could Buy One For Him I Live In Modesto Ca.

Wingy
06-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi cyntia, I will be happy to send your boyfriend one, It probably has to go thru the chaplain, so either contact the chaplain and find out how to get it to him or give mme the chaplains contact info and I will call...a medicine bag should not be bought (or sold)....neither should medicines or anything sacred...

CYN78829
06-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Thank You Wingy I Understand What Your Saying That Medicine Bags Should Not Be Bought Or Sold. But The Thing Is My Fiancee Says It's Like When You Send Them A Book The Store Has To Be The One To Send It. If I Were To Try And Send It Myself I Don't Think He Would Get It. So I Really Don't Know How To Go About It.

CYN78829
06-13-2006, 04:01 PM
What Would U Suggest Wingy?

tincker21
06-14-2006, 06:33 AM
I have been trying to find someone to translate some words for me in apache. can someone help me with this.my husband is in prison and i was going to try and do something for him for his birthday.so here are the words if someone can write them in apache for me. God,Love,Warrior,Iron'Man,Never,Surrender,Fear,Leg end.
Thanks so much!

Wingy
06-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately (or as some of us believe) the languages and history of the First People is an oral history, there may be no correct or incorrect way of spelling. One cannot just translate a language of the original people...In any of the native languages I know of there is a masculine and a feminine way of saying things depending on what you are speaking of and to whome you are speaking....also, there are several different Bands of the Apache Nation ...off the top of my head, White Mountain Apache, Lippan, Jicallera, Mescalero, Arivaipa, Coyotero, Faraone Gileno, Llanero, Mimbreno, Mogollon, Naisha, Tchikun and Tchishi, and Chiricahua, Western Scientists classify all these as Athabascan languages, and they are similar, but are seperate dialects and therefore inflections, spelling and some words vary.

I googled to see what i could find and you may find helpful information at the websites, below.

http://impurplehawk.com/shoodii.html

http://www.nativeamericacalling.com/nac_nwotd%20archives.shtm (scroll down)

I think it was an Abenaki elder that once said to Speak my language is to know our people.

Wingy
06-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, like I said you could call his chaplain or the director of chaplains to find out the specifices...there are plenty of palces on line that you can buy the mnedicine bags and have them shipped to him...gooogle crazt crow, wandering bull or even look on ebay If you are at or close to a powwow, many of the traders have a store front and could ship it for you

I will pm you a link for a friend of mine, tell her I sent you if you decide to order...She is an Abenaki woman, an excellent friend and human being....

What Would U Suggest Wingy?

eikjiram
07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Hello

First let me introduce myself, I'm Marijke, and I've been posting on pto just about a week now I think. I'm no Native American.. I'm as Dutch as it can be :P But from when I was a little kid, I was always very interested in the culture of Native Americans, so some years ago I was looking on the internet for some things about the Native American Culture and I found this website with Native American prisoners. So after reading some off the ads on that, I decided to start writing, and I'm really glad that I did, 'cause since then I've got a real great new friend!! :)

judysarak
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
You have just said something that interested me. We have an inmate in Vacarville State Prison. His name is Robert Tunstall a native American. Right now he is in the hole (Seg) and is starving himself as he wants to die and sees know real reason to live. He has been in prison for 31 yrs. His is called the Barber because he has worked for a long time in Hospice supporting and conforting the dieing inmates in their last days. He cuts their hair and shaves them. He prays with them giving them the courage to die in peace. He was a asset to the program because his love for his pateints and his work made such a differnce to those who have knowone in their last days and hours. Robert is also sick and needs medication. Because of brain tumors and seizures he can"t fuction or live without the right dose of medication which at the present is being denied him. He will soon go into a coma and expire if something isn't down imediately to rescue him from a certain fate of death. Robert does not deserve this kind of treatment from the CDC. He has help many, ,many patients during many years of dedication in Hospice. Last month he got into a verbral convertation with another hospice worker who had been abusing patients . A doctor walk in during the quarel and later place Robert in the Hole. Without the proper medication Robert cannot thrive nor does he want to now. All his hopes for release have been dashed and the help he had given for so long to hospice has been overlooked and ignored because Robert and another inmate having an arguement. The other inmate I understand was not reprimanded. Robert is married to Mary who is a moderator for many prison reform groups. She is very ill now and because of the stress over Robert has had a stroke. Mary and Robert have been married for 30 years and have a son. They were teenage sweethearts. Since Robert is part American Indian I wonder why the Native American Indian counsel has not move in and tryed to stop this horrible abusive treatment and neglect of Robert needs and life. He needs help now and by the end of a couple of weeks it may be to late.

Judith Metzger
(email removed. Please pm member this information. Thanks)

chintath
08-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I am truly sorry about this man and the fact that he will probably die in prison.

When my Native American friend's medical conditions were being ignored, his visitor and I called the prison, talked to his counselor and even the clinic and complained. The warden himself finally paid him a visit.

Is it possible to apply for clemency for health reasons? It sounds like his condition is terminal and I am wondering if he wants his medication or just wants to be made comfortable. This is so tragic and I will keep him, his wife and you in my prayers.

I don't know how organized Native American groups are in your area and I'm sorry I can't help.

You have just said something that interested me. We have an inmate in Vacarville State Prison. His name is Robert Tunstall a native American. Right now he is in the hole (Seg) and is starving himself as he wants to die and sees know real reason to live. He has been in prison for 31 yrs. His is called the Barber because he has worked for a long time in Hospice supporting and conforting the dieing inmates in their last days. He cuts their hair and shaves them. He prays with them giving them the courage to die in peace. He was a asset to the program because his love for his pateints and his work made such a differnce to those who have knowone in their last days and hours. Robert is also sick and needs medication. Because of brain tumors and seizures he can"t fuction or live without the right dose of medication which at the present is being denied him. He will soon go into a coma and expire if something isn't down imediately to rescue him from a certain fate of death. Robert does not deserve this kind of treatment from the CDC. He has help many, ,many patients during many years of dedication in Hospice. Last month he got into a verbral convertation with another hospice worker who had been abusing patients . A doctor walk in during the quarel and later place Robert in the Hole. Without the proper medication Robert cannot thrive nor does he want to now. All his hopes for release have been dashed and the help he had given for so long to hospice has been overlooked and ignored because Robert and another inmate having an arguement. The other inmate I understand was not reprimanded. Robert is married to Mary who is a moderator for many prison reform groups. She is very ill now and because of the stress over Robert has had a stroke. Mary and Robert have been married for 30 years and have a son. They were teenage sweethearts. Since Robert is part American Indian I wonder why the Native American Indian counsel has not move in and tryed to stop this horrible abusive treatment and neglect of Robert needs and life. He needs help now and by the end of a couple of weeks it may be to late.

Judith Metzger
(email removed. Please pm member this information. Thanks)

Wingy
08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
to find roberts blog google talking-to-the-walls

there is an address posted to send cards and letters...

has anyone contacted NAPs??? or a local aim chapter???

huria
09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
When I have conversation with a member of my people whom I have not met before we exchange first tribal or last names cos the name denotes the area where ur from and if you really care u will know the spiritual influence of the elders of that tribe and nine out of ten times u will have met someone from that lineage in ur passage in time.I think that the authorities have recognised this message stick that all ethnic peoples share and I am sure would be using that knowledge for data storage as they cannot hold more than one thought in their heads at a time,yours in spirit huria

huria
09-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Gee thanks for the link shortstuff 13,now I know I will be more efficient in my communications with future penpals,yours in spirit huria

elainej59
09-15-2006, 10:14 AM
One Flew Over The Koo Koo's Nest is the best way to describe all medical in federal, state or county facilities. Right now I have a sister in F.C.I. Dublin, located in Calif. who has had problems with migraine head aches from an injury she encountered many winters ago. She is concerned about this medication they are giving her because it doesn't seem to work and it is making her real dizzy and she sleeps on the top bunk in SHU, so there is concern. This medication is called LAMICTAL, the PA told her it is for seizures,(Seizure Medication for Migraines?) so I looked this drug up on the internet, not only did the PA lie about this medication. Lamictal is only for Bi Polar Disorder, it is a mood stablelizer, something like thorizine or Lithium, a drug to put you in a zombie like state (MOOD STABELIZER) I read the warning signs on this drug's side effects. Dizziness and HEADACHES! Why are they giving her this for headaches? This is worst than loading a gun, if something should happen it would be like pulling the trigger too. Dublin has a very small under staffed clinic open only during work hours during the week, no emergency facility 2 doctors who come in a couple times a week and cold uncaring noncompassionate & mean PA's that barely speak english. We need to change the policies/procedures and the regulations, we need to change the LAWS and the staff whom we entrust the safety to care for the health of our families. Today I will start with a phone call to the cold barely speaks english head physician and threaten law suit. Why does it always have to come to this? What do I have to do to get laws changed?

elainej59
09-15-2006, 12:16 PM
You know there are a couple things you can do to help Robert, one is 'call the institution he is at', the other is to write your congressman. Our voice's are small but together they become big and we will be heard. I wrote and added an additional incident my Hunkpapa/Oglala Lakota sister LaVonne Rich Two Eagle Roach is going through in Dublin. I come from a warrior society (together we become strong) and we have to fight this system but in a good way. Today we have the power of communication whether it is through the phone the pin and or internet. Please make phone calls and write your congressman. Our tribal heads can't do anything, but you can. Never forget the best thing you can do in a day is pray, Creator will give you the tools it is up to you how you use them. You have my prayers... In the Spirit of Crazy Horse.. Elaine Jealous Of Him

jemison2001
09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Good Evening to all

I am native from Canada. Six Nations res. Seneca Indian. Just want to say Hi to you all. Ive been in pto for 6 months? now but never in this forum. I have a daughter in prison in Kentucky. (Otter Creek) Hopefully she will be home bye next july.

Well hope you all are doing fine as well as your loved ones. Later

morning star
09-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi,
I'm not a native american but my boyfriend is an Apache. Sometimes i got so confused by his believe/ religion. Though he says that they believe in god, I don't understand. Do native american believe in God? I mean the same god christians believe in ,or do they believe in an other kind of god ?

Wingy
09-23-2006, 09:53 AM
First of all...Welcome to our little forum, Jemmison, Elaine and morning star...I hope you will find plenty of support and information here at PTO and in our little forum...

Jemmison, I have been up to 6 nations many times for gatherings and have always enjoyed my stay there. I am sorry to hear about your daughter in Kentucky, I hope she is well, using her time productively, and staying close to her traditions and ancestors. I am in Indiana pretty frequently. If your daughter needs a vistor, please feel free to pm me for my address and have her send me the paper work. I will be in the area in the early part of 2007 and would be honored to visit.

MorningStar, "God" is a term generally used by Christians as a name for Creator. Jewish people call God Yaweh, Jehova's witnesses, Jehova...the list of names God has been given is as long as the number of different races, religions and languages that are a part of creation.

American Indians, also believe in God, a Creator, something bigger than ourselves. The Lakhota use WakanTanka or Great Mystery, Potawotomi honor Ktthe Mnedo as our Creator, ane himu, "very something" is used in the Hopi language, the Powhatans used the word "okees" (okis),in the Lenape language God is called Getanittowit.
Whatever name is used, it signifies the same thing, a higher power, Creator, God...
below is a list of "God" in different languages, the names are endless.

No matter what name one chooses or is taught to use, or how one honors that being, there really can be only one creator or this universe. If more people would understand that, and respect others beliefs, there would be no religious wars.
Afrikaans (http://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/God)
>العربية (http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%84%D9%87)
>বাংলা (http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A6%88%E0%A6%B6%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%B0)
Bân-lâm-gú (http://zh-min-nan.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si%C5%8Dng-t%C3%A8)
>Беларуская (http://be.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%B3)
Bosanski (http://bs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog)
>Brezhoneg (http://br.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doue)
>Български (http://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%B3)
>Català (http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9u)
Deutsch (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gott)
Español (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dios)
Français (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieu)
Bahasa Indonesia (http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuhan)
Italiano (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dio)
Kurdî / كوردي (http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xwed%C3%AA)
Latina (http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus)
Nederlands (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_%28monothe%C3%AFsme%29)
Norsk (nynorsk) (http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gud)
>Polski (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B3g)
Português (http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus)
Română (http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeu)
Sicilianu (http://scn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diu)

morning star
09-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Thanks for your reply wingy, it was of great help.

Dnzswfie
11-14-2006, 12:22 AM
hi My Husband Is In A Ca Prison. He Is A Decendant Of The Juaneno Band Of The Mission Indians Acjachemem Nation. I Am Not Sure If I Wrote That Right. Just Wanted To Introduce Myself To This Forum And Get To Know Others. I Would Like To All I Can About His American Indian Heritage To Better Help Him While He Is In Custody. He Has Asked Me To Look Into Things He Is Allowed To Be Sent Like Medicine Bags,etc. Anyone With Info On How To Go About Getting These Things To Him Would Be Helpful. Again Nice To Meet You All.
dnzswfie

Chelle Baby
11-15-2006, 02:23 PM
:angry: My fiance Jeff Anderson is incarcerated at USP Hazelton in West Virginia. He is a registered Blackfoot and they have his ethnicity listed as white. Would anyone know how to keep the prison from depleting the Native American census by classifying him as a white man?? I want his ethnicity changed!! Any information would be helpful!!

Wingy
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
have you called the chaplain or spoke to any adminstrator...If he is enrolled, then contact his tribe and see what they can do...

Chelle Baby
11-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Thankyou. I have called his tribe and left messages but as of now it is of no avail. He lived across the nation from his reservation and has never been to see it. Mabye their unfamiliarity with him has led them to deal with other issues that weigh at hand. I am seeking other avenues presently, but all help is welcome

Wingy
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
I would keep calling, too...and look for other numbers/contacts within the tribal office...Unfortunately, if you are not on the rollsor registered the tribe may be unwilling to help...

opalznsilver
12-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Hi

I'm the fiancee of a Native American Cherokee, I am white.

My fiancee has 5 years and 11 months left on his bid.

He means everything to me as he is the love of my life. He has recently asked me to marry him. And of course I accepted. I love him and miss him so very much. We've been apart for almost 2 years already.

I want to be supportive for him and hope to learn more here in this forum about his native culture and also to find things that I could surprise him with that I learn here.

He was born in Los Angeles, California. His father is a full blooded Native Cherokee from Los Angeles. He has not had contact with his father since he was very small.

His mother is Half Cherokee from Oklahoma originally. He and is mother are very close.

I just thought I'd introduce myself a bit and keep reading more posts.

Peace-

P.S. My fiancee does really beautiful artwork and poetry. I might post some here.

Wingy
12-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Welcome, LuvMike, I am glad you found us...I hope we can offer you and Mike all the support you need...there's some great people here, on PTO...willing to share what they have learned and listen when you need to be heard.

As far as things relating to the native culture, and more specifically, Cherokee Traditions, you may want to visit http://www.cherokee.org/ the official website of the Cherokee People, located in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. These people were forced to move to Oklahoma when their ancestors walked the "Trail Of Tears."

Other Cheokee Nations can be found on The Qualla Boundary, more commonly known as Cherokee, South Carolina. The The ancestor's of the people living here hid in the woods, up in the Smokey mountains to avoid removal, and later were given this land in a treaty. http://www.nc-cherokee.com/

I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

Gayle48
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

Take a minute and introduce yourself, your connection to the correctional system and what brings you to the Native American forum, here on PTO. Know you are welcome, here, for whatever reason you stopped by.

Hi my name is Gayle and I am in Alabama. The man I am searching for is from a Federal Prison. His nameis Pete Spotted Warbonnett (maybe spelled differently) He wanted to go home to his home reservation. He was friends with my dear friend, Blake Williams, also of Indian heritage. If any one knows how to find him. Please give him my name or contact me here.

Thanks in advace for the help.
Gayle48

Happyfeete
02-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
I know this is a long shot, but, does anyone know how to contact Leonard Crow Dog the medicine man, in South Dakota? My loved one is in an Az prison, he is Lakota, and has worked with Crow Dog, but is very stubborn about accepting help from me so I can't ask him how to contact Crow Dog. I know if he heard from Crow Dog it would do wonders for his spirit. He is at the point now where he does not think he believes in Creator anymore.
I am very grateful for any responses, thank you.... FreeTheBird777

Awen
02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
HI to everyone, I feel that I'm here on the right place. My name is Awen a native German with Celitc/Viking ancestry living in the UK and traveling the path a trained Druid. It is a year ago that while browsing through German blogs, I came across of an adverb of a Choctaw Warrior that was asking for pen pals. The way he wrote told me to write.( which was not my intention while looking on that website.) He is incarcerated for a long time and in the supermax. A beautiful frienship has began and we teach each other Druidry ~ Red Road. Most of it is so similar yet very inspiring. I must say I feel for him very much and being worried which made me join this forum. I hope to learn and understand more about the system and all that goes with it. Blessings

Wingy
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Awen, I am glad you found us...looking forward to you posting more!! See you soon!!!

Awen
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I am glad to be here thank you for welcome. Till than
Blessings
Awen

mariatwoheart
03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I am a decendent of the Mi'kmaq-Atakapas people. I currently live in Illinois.

I am searching for the name of someone who goes by the name Chief. He is incarcerated at DeSoto Annex, Arcadia Florida. He is said to be good friends with a Lanny Charles Domino who is serving his term for sex offense of an underage girl.

Can anyone help me identify this "Chief" and Lanny Charles Domino? Are they for real?

Thanks
Maria

Wingy
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Sorry I can't offer you any help...I can't even begin to count the number of guys I know who have been called or referred to as "Chief," mostly by ignorant non indians... this is a tuff one, I wish you luck

ohiocommonsense
03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Sorry I can't offer you any help...I can't even begin to count the number of guys I know who have been called or referred to as "Chief," mostly by ignorant non indians... this is a tuff one, I wish you luck

Hello ALL!
I know what you mean about the "CHIEF" thing...Now I have been referred to (by non indigineous persons) as "TONTO"...Now of course I know the Lone Ranger television show's character "TONTO", however I have been told that "TONTO", as a word in SPANISH means STUPID or DUNCE or IDIOT....Does anyone know if this is true? If this is so, is it because of the pronounciation or the spelling?

Valentina
03-05-2007, 11:25 PM
it is true. tonto means dumbass or stupid. It is very rude.

opalznsilver
03-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Careful ! My man is Cherokee and he refers to a lot of his native friends as CHIEF !

FYI

noname10
03-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I am a decendent of the Mi'kmaq-Atakapas people. I currently live in Illinois.

I am searching for the name of someone who goes by the name Chief. He is incarcerated at DeSoto Annex, Arcadia Florida. He is said to be good friends with a Lanny Charles Domino who is serving his term for sex offense of an underage girl.

Can anyone help me identify this "Chief" and Lanny Charles Domino? Are they for real?

Thanks
Maria
On the florida DOC website there is an offender search enter Lanny Domino and you get one response and he is at the Desotos Annex, but his release date is in April so if you are needing to contact him you will need to hurry hope this helps

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=3482489

jemison2001
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Dear Wingy

Thank You for the offer that was really kind of you. (but not sure who she would react)

Anyway shes doing good yes using her time in a good way shes taken all the classes shes needed to take while there and has the certificates too. NO write ups or misconduct and trying, trying to keep to herself. (thats very hard for her shes a fighter) anyway we just hope the board takes all this in concideration and will release her soon...

We pray to the creator every day!

Just wanted to Thank You and let you know how shes gettin along. hopefully this will all be over soon.

Wingy
03-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I think in a lot of cultures it is one thing for someone of the same or similar culture using what most would consider a derogatory term, but for someone else, neither friend or of the same culture it does not hold the same connotations, nor it is heard as complimentory. This, by the way is not my opinion, just what i know to be true in at least some peoples world.

for me, if someone was to call my man chief, be it a freind, stranger or another native, i would feel the need to explain that if others hear you call or refer to someone in that matter it would make it ok for them to use the same term. And in reality, by using those kinds of words, one is really just prolonging and encouraging stereotypes. chief is a term so many people of European decent would call a native man, and by using it in a negative way, made it derogatory.
A rule of thumb to me is if the word offends anyone it does not need to be used, after all it is probably just slang and there is a better term that can be used.

Sorry to be so long, but i think some explaining is due here.

ms.shorty619
03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
i am new to this and really greatfulto find it,.we both are natives ,my hubby is seneca and blackfoot and i am cherokee,chalktaw,but i allways wanted to find out more info about getting more involved in my herritage and also is very important to me because that is what we are ,and it not just for me but our daughter too.i fell that with the gov. you need to prove but why??wasent this our land,i dont feel that proving it will solve anything.ok ya we are indian ok now what??i have been questioning about faith for a while now but i would like to learn more about the american indian spirituality faith and becoming more involved in it .so please if anyone could help me out i would apperciate it.
thank you all and i am glad that i found this site ...

Wingy
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
ms.shorty...my best advice it to volunteer within your local native community... be real careful about what you read on the internet...theres lots of scams and frauds, the best way to learn is to involve yourself with the community...if they are not close, look for an intertribal organization google powwows and make contact thru numbers listed as powwow contacts), but again be careful of frauds, and you may not be welcomed with open arms, either...the first lesson to learn is to listen, answers to questions you may have will come to you. You may have to work pretty haard to gain the Peoples confidence and trust, the Elders will be watching, i guarentee it....

Wingy
05-10-2007, 06:23 AM
I just wanted to say hello and welcome, its nice to have you here, posting in our forum, that often times is waaaaaaay to quiet. I hope you will continue to post here. You seem to have a good knowledge of the system and the ways of the People.

windsage4
05-26-2007, 03:46 PM
:D Thanks, did you mean me? Wow, that's nice to get a greeting like that. Really, thanks.

Wingy
05-27-2007, 09:34 AM
yes, sure I meant you...and anyone else that contributes to support our loved ones in the Iron house or shares the our common fears and cares...

jemison2001
06-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Hello Everyone

Well my daughter didnt make parole... so that means ANOTHER 12 months.

We went to visit her yesterday and she seems to really be ok...Dissapointed but ok.

Shes more worried about me than herself...But she did say that she really needed the visit so we were glad we went.

Let the COUNT DOWN begin...AGAIN...

We are Native from the Six Nations Rez. (Canada)

Wingy
06-18-2007, 05:50 AM
aaah, Jemison...I am so sorry to hear that...can I send a card of encouragement or support? pm me the info if it works for you...or start one here http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157251 and ask for everyones thoughts and support for her...

jemison2001
06-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Good Morning All

My daughter is doing ok..NOT very happy , dissapointed but ok.

She seems to be dealing with it better then me...LOL

But hey after all "What can we do"

You all have a great day!

Later

Caress11
07-05-2007, 10:27 AM
My man is Native Eskimo but practices Lakota Spirituality. It's so awesome that this forum exists, though I only just discovered it!

Wingy
07-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Caress!!! I am glad you found us. Lakota traditions are frequently the ways that our incarcerated loved ones follow. Because the Oglala People were contained on the reservations their ways were/are protected and unchanged.

I have quite a few Native Alaskan freinds, here on the East coast. The Alskan People have managed to keep their culture alive, also, because alaska seemed to be so uninhabitable for so long.

Unfortunately, most Native People have not managed to avoid the darkness of drug and alcohol abuse, and all the horrors that go along with those. Thus too many of our loved ones end up on the inside, it is here they find the ancient ways that allow them to grow and survive and heal. I hope this is true for your man and I hope he returns to his people whole and ready to rejoin his family, in all ways

cementmushroom
09-02-2007, 09:57 AM
My husband just got to SECC. I'm curious how they are treated there? When he was going through diagnostic at Bonne Terre, he was actually spit on and put in the hole because he refused to cut off his mohawk. It's not the "normal" mohawk that most people have. It's a Lakota mohawk, which begins at the back crown of the head and goes down and grows long. He wasn't allowed to bring his medicine bag or any of his chokers with him. He asked why christians are allowed to wear a cross or Jewish people are allowed to wear a star of david, etc., but he wasn't allowed to wear a choker. He was told that a choker isn't a readily recognizable religious symbol and would "inflame" other people there. Whatever!! I've heard that a few prisons might have a drum or a circle. I heard that one is even trying to get a sweat logde in the works. Any idea of how SECC is?

Wingy
09-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I am not familiar with SECC, is it State or Federal? Many states now allow our Native Brothers and Sisters to wear and/or keep some of their sacred items, including their hair...but we are along way from all of them giving it just a little. His best bet for now would be to talk to any Native brothers and see what the poop is, of course he will have to wait til he gets out of the hole. In the meantime you can start with contacting the chaplain to find out what is allowed and whats not allowed. If you get no where with the chaplain head up the ladder...It can be a long battle fighting for native rights inside, but in the end we are allowed at least a few items and ceremonies.
Good luck and welcome to the forum for American Indians both inside and out, and their loved ones.

cementmushroom
09-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Sorry, SECC is state. SouthEatern Correctional Center in Missouri. I've already been in contact with the state constituent representatives. Since that didn't work out, I went to my state representative. I still didn't get anywhere. I've been in contact with many of the elders from our tribe down in Florida. They are trying to help me find contacts here in Missouri. I haven't been able to find a Native Community anywhere here around St. Louis. I had to go to Indiana just to go to a Pow Wow. I will get in touch with the chaplain to see what is allowed. Maybe I'd be able to donate a little hand drum or something for them. Possibly donate some sage or sweetgrass. We'll have to see. Thanks for your help.

Wingy
09-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I have added some Missouri links to the resources thread, perhaps someone from one of these organizations can help

Page 3
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133021

Another thought and one I have used frequently, and again you will find the website on the resources page, is to check the pow lists for Missouri pow wos and yo9u will find contact information for the pow wow hosts, if they are truly native they will be happy to hook you up with someone who can help.

mariaandtaylor
09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm glad to see this site, it is always good to go somewhere and ask questions that may not apply some where else.

mooji
12-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm not native but am writing to a prisoner at SRCI who is. I'm naturally curious about his culture but don't want to overload him just asking about that alone. This is a great thread to find out much more. There's not many resources in the UK for finding out about native american cultures - glad this site is so open.

echodogene
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
hello all, this was how i got involved with PT, i was surfing the web looking for ways to help the native american, got some valuable help, met some great people. i also have a loved one in prison which brought two things together. thanks PT, echodogene

jameswifey82908
04-05-2008, 12:13 AM
I am Cherokee and I'm glad there is a section on this site that focuses on this section in life. My name is Aingeal an I'm looking for new friends that can help me learn more bout my heritage. My grandmother died an it makes it a Lil harder to learn about my Cherokee heritage. If you can help or you wanna chat pm me.

cherokee89
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
My name is JD, and I am 100% Cherokee. When I was 5 years old my Dad was killed in a prison riot and when I was 9 years old my Mom took her life. I had 13 siblings and we were passed around to one family or another. I was taken off reservation and put up for adoption to a white family, but things were never okay I ended up doing drugs, joining a gang. At 14 years old I went on a high speed chase through three states and got 2 years in juvenile prison. When I got out at 16 years old I met up with two friends and we ended up going on a seven state crime spree that resulted in 56 charges. I was in jail till January 08, and I am on house arrest. BUT I will be sentenced this autumn to prison which could range from 20 to life. The other two guys got 20 years flat and 20 to 40 years. I am responsible for my actions but could use some friendship. :)

Morganna McGee
04-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Cherokee...
I would be honored to have you as a pen pal if you would like. Please IM me and I'll send you my snail mail addy. My fiance is a member of the Plainfield Indiana Native Circle. Good luck and best wishes for you in the future. Hope to hear from you soon.

Morganna

Eia
05-01-2008, 05:54 AM
My name is JD, and I am 100% Cherokee. When I was 5 years old my Dad was killed in a prison riot and when I was 9 years old my Mom took her life. I had 13 siblings and we were passed around to one family or another. I was taken off reservation and put up for adoption to a white family, but things were never okay I ended up doing drugs, joining a gang. At 14 years old I went on a high speed chase through three states and got 2 years in juvenile prison. When I got out at 16 years old I met up with two friends and we ended up going on a seven state crime spree that resulted in 56 charges. I was in jail till January 08, and I am on house arrest. BUT I will be sentenced this autumn to prison which could range from 20 to life. The other two guys got 20 years flat and 20 to 40 years. I am responsible for my actions but could use some friendship. :)
Hi;
Parts of your posting sound very familiar in relation to my husband's(he's full-blooded) early starts in life..him and siblings passed around various family members,eventually being unhappily fostered and then eventually adopted,the childhood loss of a parent,juvenile records..Oh God,I could go on!!..I would be pleased to extend a hand in friendship to you..PM me and we can exchange addys.

Nativeladybug
06-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I am my new love who has fallen into the prison system, it has been 10 months and I am unsure how long before I see him. It's good have others here. Hope to hear from you all.

Wingy
06-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Glad you found us!!! I hope you will find this site and forum as helpful and supportive as I have. Unfortunately, I am not able to get on linemuch...since I got myself stuck out in the middle of nowhere.
Anyways, hope to be hearing from you!!

Polarbaer
07-03-2008, 04:39 PM
WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

Leonard Peltier, a political prisoner of the United States government, stated that the American prison system was the fastest growing indian reservation in America.

Odds are that if you are associated with communities of the First Nations, you know someone who is or was incarcerated due to the historical trauma suffered by the indigenous people of this land from first contact and even now, the inability to cope with our losses ends in incarceration. For many, however, prison is the place where many native women and men find the ways of their ancesters and begin to walk in beauty on the Red Road.

This forum is a place to find and offer support for those of us, who, in one way or another have found ourselves involved with the United States Prison System or walking with incarcerated First Nations People.

Thank you for this post and i am David Coffin i had a E -79 number in the Calif. system, that i retired in Dec. 1999 and have been clean and sober ever since! i would love to get to know more about those in Calif. and how i can help the bro's still behind the iron walls.

chucksnative
08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
My biological father is in prison in Gatesville, Hughes Unit. I am trying to find information about him from anyone who may have been in contact with him. He was writing to ppl in the U.K. the last time I spoke to him, which was 10 years ago.

FPCinmate
08-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Hello my Indian brothers and sisters,

I am an American Indian of the United Houma Nation and Choctaw decent. Former federal prison camp inmate of 2 years. My goals are to provide information for those facing a prison camp sentence and to help families with answers to basic questions about life in a prison camp. At formerprisoninmate.com I reveal the facts about one federal prison camp.

Sun's Mom
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Yah-tay.. I am Sun's mom and thank you for your site. It is always reassuring knowing that their are others out there to walk with you down the RED road. I pray for all the BROTHER AND SISTERS that are in lock up, as I pray for you all that are experiencing their journey. Rising Sun and I have been doing this for 5 longgggg years. He will be out in 4/09. If any of you are in the Sacramento area and are in need of a ride please let me know. I am coming from Reno, Nevada. My email address is (email removed. Please pm member for this information. Thanks) I look forward to hearing from any or all of you, my sisters.

bsbabygirl4
10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
i am so happy this forum is here my husband is native american and he just moved to a native unit so how is it diffrent and do they get treated any diffent

rochman
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I am an advocate with the Police Complaint Center which you can find at (outside website removed per policy). I recently found out about the Leonard Peltier case and I am looking to investigate the case. However, my knowledge of the law for cases of this nature isn't that strong on a state by state basis. I am looking to contact the Warden of the prison that Mr. Peltier was recently transferred to and brutalized. I am also looking to get in contact with the family. However, I need help with the legal side. Is there anyone on here that can help me out. Check out the police abuse website to see the kind of work that is done by this organization.

(Email address removed per policy. Please pm member for this information. Thanks)

chintath
02-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Welcome. It always amazed me that Peltier's case seemed so stagnant despite all the internatioanl attention.

If you find yourself at a dead end with his case, I can direct you toward other Native Americans who have complaints. Particularly in regard to medical care and having trouble getting the Christian chaplains help with obtain sweatlodge supplies.

Good luck!!

I am an advocate with the Police Complaint Center which you can find at (outside website removed per policy). I recently found out about the Leonard Peltier case and I am looking to investigate the case. However, my knowledge of the law for cases of this nature isn't that strong on a state by state basis. I am looking to contact the Warden of the prison that Mr. Peltier was recently transferred to and brutalized. I am also looking to get in contact with the family. However, I need help with the legal side. Is there anyone on here that can help me out. Check out the police abuse website to see the kind of work that is done by this organization.

(Email address removed per policy. Please pm member for this information. Thanks)

rochman
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Could you put me in contact with them?

rochman
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Welcome. It always amazed me that Peltier's case seemed so stagnant despite all the internatioanl attention.

If you find yourself at a dead end with his case, I can direct you toward other Native Americans who have complaints. Particularly in regard to medical care and having trouble getting the Christian chaplains help with obtain sweatlodge supplies.

Good luck!!

Could you put me in contact with those individuals?

chintath
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Could you put me in contact with those individuals?

I will pm you with their addresses and issues. Thanks.

Belinda48
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM

What you are referring to is a culture : Sweats and you have to believe in the native american ways. but other thatn a test I really don't know what everyone is talking about. my nephew is into Sweats and cermony"s and travels all aournd the united states. But we do live here in North Dakota , I'm from the Turtle Mountain Indian Rez and He is from the Spirit Lake Nation . ms_lady_warrior@yahoo.com

mysticgal207
05-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone!
My brother is in Federal prison in Allenwood FCI and he is able to E-Mail me and other family members from that facility. He lives with the Indians in the facility since our heritage is of American Indian. He has asked me to try to find out if anyone knows of any group that could come in and assist with their Sweats, etc at the facility. Naturally it would have to be approved by the facility in order for this to happen. Also, how does he go about getting Pen Pals to write to him and other inmates?
Thanks,
Kathy

motherblackfeet
07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello, This is my very first post to this site. I'm a Blackfeet Native. My son is in a Washington State prison. He's been in since last November. He has another 10 months to go then 6 months work release. I don't have many people to talk to about what I have gone through. Prior to Joel going to prison he was very involved with the Puyallup Tribe. He did the canoe journey last fall. Joel fell prey to drugs and alcohol which lead to breaking the law and now in prison. This is a heart breaking time but at least I know that Joel is alive. The road he was on was surely going to end in death or prison. When I see him now I see the warrior son I use to know. I worry for this safety but I have faith the the Creator" is watching over him. Anyone know anthing about Stafford Creek in Aberdeen Wa.?

AaronsBeautiful
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
My auntie says that we are part black hawk and I look more Indian then anyone in my family they tell me. I speak in another tongue i do not understand and i dance in a dance I do not understand. But it has to be a certain situation for that to happen. Their are thing that I dream and do not understand i am a crafter as well I paint Indian very well. my auntie say to much like our ancestors for me to to have not seen them. I am new to this part of prison talk so i am not sure what to expect i see i fit in a few areas. My son is in prison and my husband is in prison and my youngest boy is in a juvi jail. Has anyone ever heared that spiritual drumming is calming?

sexiesgirl09
11-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Good morning,
I am an Eskimo and new to this site and would like more info on how to get assistance.
My boyfriend is in the Federal prison in Beaumont for another year and a half. I just moved here from Iowa to be closer to him and need a place to stay.
Does anyone need a room-mate or can you suggest somewhere to go for help??
I'm currently staying at a shelter in Beaumont and will be going to the Shepard's Inn on Wed. the 24th of Nov.
I need HELP!!! please.

whitewolf2751
11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
sexiesgirl09, you can try calling the Franklin House and see if they have anything open. It's one of the only women's shelters I know of in the Beaumont area. If they don't have anything right now , they would know more about other agencies that can help you. I'm so sorry your having this difficulty and I truly wish you the best of luck!

Franklin House Women & Children Facility
5670 Concord Rd.
Beaumont, TX 77708
Phone Number: 409-896-5911
Long term transitional housing for women and children.

sexiesgirl09
11-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Good morning,
My name is Ruby and I just moved to Texas from Iowa where my boyfriend was first incarserated then transferred to Beaumont, Texas. He's serving 2 years for drinking while on probation.
I'm in desperate need of a place to live while he fiinishes his time. We will find out by the 10th of Dec. 2009 when and where he goes to a half way house.
I am currently staying at a church from Wed. to Mon. but have to go to a shelter for the other two days. Does anyone need a room-mate? I will be able to help with expenses on Dec.4.
I'm getting a little discourage and feel like I've lost my mind for moving here without having a permanate place to stay until he gets out.
Please pass the word around. I try to check my mail daily at the library.
Thank you for your time, homeless in TexasWELCOME!!! everyone!!!

sexiesgirl09
11-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!!!! thats a startsexiesgirl09, you can try calling the Franklin House and see if they have anything open. It's one of the only women's shelters I know of in the Beaumont area. If they don't have anything right now , they would know more about other agencies that can help you. I'm so sorry your having this difficulty and I truly wish you the best of luck!

Franklin House Women & Children Facility
5670 Concord Rd.
Beaumont, TX 77708
Phone Number: 409-896-5911
Long term transitional housing for women and children.

whitewolf2751
11-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!!!! thats a start

Bless your heart Ruby. Yep, love sometimes leads us into places we normally would not tread! I hope you can get help at the Frankin House. It will be a safe place while you're looking for work and your own place.

Also, try calling the Housing Authority of the City of Beaumont. They have Section 8 houses and apartments and can help you with more permenant housing.

http://www.bmtha.org/

love4evermore
11-26-2009, 02:17 AM
My bf is Native American, I am not. He is a very traditional in his spiritual beliefs. Luckily the prison where he is at, they have their own Native American yard where they have a sweat lodge that he participates in every week. Thank you for this forum as I am always trying to learn all I can about the Native American People. I have signed the petitions for the release of Leonard Peltier. I only hope that he will soon be released.

godsgrayce
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone, my loved one is Lakhota Sioux and I am Cherokee Sioux. We live in Virginia and unfortunately on the East Coast, American Indian presence is sparse, hidden in family histories, and generally disregarded.

Are there American Indians from Virginia on here?

purplepurp
01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

My man is native and incarcerated in california on some crazy charges got 3 yrs but think you do half time down there not sure i cant see him because of my past choices.He is modoc and kalamoth

heartsong
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
This regards a Tewa/Hopi inmate. He is asking for gourds and beading supplies, plus native magazines. Re: the gourd and beading supplies, would they be considered religious articles? Does nybody know how prisons view this? He also wants art supplies. I'm envisioning trying to buy gourds and beading stuff from an approved art supply vendor that only carries paint, brushes, paper, etc. Gourds? Beads? Huh?

Also, can people recommend good native magazines?

Thanks.

Aikya

richchrs
01-14-2010, 04:14 AM
I am a native Hawaiian and so is my incarcerated
loved one, I hope that we are welcome here as part of your native american group

Flecha333
01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
My man is White Mountian Apache, From White Mountian Arizona. He currently ia at SRCI until 2020

Uzizitka
05-08-2010, 03:00 PM
My man is Yankton Sioux (Nakota) and in petersburg medium va - anybody who wants to get in touch please message me xox - iam a german/greek/cree mix lol
i would be honoured to hear from anybody who know what life is like for him in petersburg.

this is our poem for eachother:
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

ee cummings

Uzizitka
05-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone, my loved one is Lakhota Sioux and I am Cherokee Sioux. We live in Virginia and unfortunately on the East Coast, American Indian presence is sparse, hidden in family histories, and generally disregarded.

Are there American Indians from Virginia on here?

Hello, i just wanted to say hello to you. my close friend is in petersburg medium virginia, he is yankton sioux(nakota) i live in the uk iam an interpreter x i will fly into richmond this year to visit him - maybe get together if you are close by, all the best, Anna:)

jayveewm
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Hello, I am new to this - I was informed my son is sentenced to prison. We are Hopi. I worry so much about what prison life is about for Native Americans. Would appreciate any comments. I'm so thankful that there is a forum for Native Americans. Asquali (thank you)

RPDG2010
06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi All,
I am fairly new to this whole PTO and still not to sure of how things really run, but I am glad I ran into Native American Forum. My boyfriend and I are both Native. He is in the Donovan State Prison doing 9mo. We have 6 more months to go until he gets out.

BrownEyedGurl
07-17-2010, 08:57 AM
My man is native and incarcerated in california on some crazy charges got 3 yrs but think you do half time down there not sure i cant see him because of my past choices.He is modoc and kalamoth

My best friend is native from new mexico, he was given the harshest sentence possible. Race was a huge factor in his sentencing.

Whyowhy
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Hello, I am new to this - I was informed my son is sentenced to prison. We are Hopi. I worry so much about what prison life is about for Native Americans. Would appreciate any comments. I'm so thankful that there is a forum for Native Americans. Asquali (thank you)

Where is ur son? I'm assuming that he's a federal inmate. Most Native's are since their crime happened on the "Rez" or " Indian Country". My husband is in FCI Elkton which is in Ohio. He has a lot of Native support there. There is also a bunch of wannabe's. Lol! They even got fry bread the other day! We are Cherokee. Eastern Band from North Carolina. I hope this helps... This is all new to me :(

nitamac
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello,
Hello, I have been a member of PTO for a while and I thought it was about time I introduced myself to everyone here. I'm a Tribal Member of Grand Ronde Oregon Tribe is Umpqua. My son is located at Pleasant Valley State Prison in California.
Thank You for your time
nitamac

nitamac
08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
My man is Yankton Sioux (Nakota) and in petersburg medium va - anybody who wants to get in touch please message me xox - iam a german/greek/cree mix lol
i would be honoured to hear from anybody who know what life is like for him in petersburg.

this is our poem for eachother:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in

my heart)i am never without it(anywhere

i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done

by only me is your doing,my darling)

i fear

no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want

no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)

and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant

and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows

(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud

and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows

higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

ee cummings

This is a bueatiful Poem thank you for sharing it!

iamexcon
10-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Bozho !!!

I am Potawatomi from Wisc. And would just like to say hello, and if there is any assistance i can give, it shall be thankfully given.

Having served just under 20 yr. straight time in the Wisconsin prison system i am familular with the Prisoners Rights Violations, and the need for Spiritual Advisors to come in and help out The People....

I am, as a friend of mine said, a born again Pagan..... LOL

MiiGwech !!

patty64
11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Can someone tell me what units if any have the native american services. Also, can someone confirm the test for native american.

Thank you

Starr3764
11-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Hello Everyone! I'm new to PTO, and so thankful I found this site. My ex-husband is Native, and was convicted for a high profile crime he did NOT commit. He and I are currently trying to re-connect after the stress of his case and prison took it's toll on my health, and our marriage. I would appreciate any help in finding a good criminal attorney, who practices in Idaho. Prefferably one who will work pro-bono as John's tribe (The Catawba Indian Nation) has not been able to help him financially. I look forward to meeting everyone.

deerwoman
11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Can someone tell me what units if any have the native american services. Also, can someone confirm the test for native american.

Thank you

Do you mean a test to see if you are NA? I have heard that you can take one to see if you have NA blood, but it won't determine what tribe it will be. You just have to trace your ancestors.

corey50flood
02-22-2011, 07:40 AM
I would like to respond to the questions concerning "proof" your Native to participate in our ceremonies. I am Lakota and have done 12 years in prison. I do not usually back any decisions made by admin or any prison officals. In the case of this issue I do say that someone should have to prove that they are Native to participate in ANY of our cereminies period. I have seen many white people come to prison and claim to be Native because they know that Native brothers will back each other to the end in incarceration. Wheter its fear or what ever reasons they have they have no buisness on our sacred ground or should have no access to our Wakan objects. If these individuals were truly Native and knew how to conduct themselves in the Inipi and how to handle the Chanunpa, then they would also know how to do these things BEFORE they came to prison. It always strikes me funny as to how the white man did all they could to destroy our sacred ways but yet are the first to seek these things out and once in a ceremony instantly become a medicine person. Irionic.

sonnynight01
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
hi my name is sonnynight ,but i go by jj..............i read your words on leonard and thought wow..hopefully some day he may get out..
iam rosebud and lived around montana ,,south dakota...this warrior society is good ,,so is aim..how long have these groups been united.
i hear aim since 68 and the warrior society how long.just wondering.
well just thought i would write some.thanks david..

:)WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

skinwalker694
12-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Ms Chick,
It's second nature for natives to form a circle around a fellow native who has fallen. We natives, even though some of our traditions and customs are different, tend to band together with different tribes in the urban areas.
Sometimes it's a pain in the butt to pull our brother or sister out of the gutter time and time again but that's just a fact of life for us natives. Tell him you love him as your family no matter what. Either he'll straighten up or he won't. There isn't much else you can do at this point.

there4u1909
01-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Do you know if this written test is a generic test for all Tribes or is there a "Tribe Specific" test for Native's? My brother was just incarcerated in TX and he may need this information soon. Thanks.

deerwoman
01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
there4u1909,
What kind of test are you talking about?

robs11278
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
My friend Rob is serving a sentence for armed robbery, burglary, and theft of moveable property. He is incarcerated until 2019. He has requested that I find him some pen pals. He is looking for female pen pals. He is a 34 native American male, looking for love outside his environment. He is interested in reading, intellectual conversations, politics, chess, poker, board games, outdoors, sports. His picture is also on my profile. If you are interested in befriending a good guy who made some made choices, Rob is the one. He is very loving, supportive, and forgiving. He really does have a great big heart.
Please mail him a letter.

Address: Robert Doucette #330048
Oshkosh Correctional Institution
PO BOX 3310
Oshkosh, WI 54903

johnnyboy84
05-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Hello all..I am a Mohawk from a reservation in northern ny.My brother and I are both facing prison on felony assault charges..I have been released onto the home supervision program, my brother was not so lucky..He needs some support or some good words to get him through this or even a nice woman who is willing to write to him..He is a good man and had very well saved my life.He is 24 yrs old 6'1" 220lbs.The greatest brother anyone could ask for.pm me for details..every little bit helps

BrightSunshine
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I am Bright Sunshine,

I am here to gain knowledge, share thoughts and resources (if I get any) and engage in useful dialogue regarding my family member who is an inmate of the NEOCC. I hope to be a positive input for someone and gain some resolution with the desparity to my family as a result of unfortunate circumstances.
Thank you for this opportunity.

WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

bluefeather62
07-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Yatahey, i am bluefeather and my husband is half Cherokee, we are in Oklahoma. my husband has been down for 29 yrs, i have been with him for almost 19yrs come this October. we met in prison, and i have followed him all over Okla. i hope to meet people, maybe even some new friends! Be well, and go in peace. bluefeather :)

Lancer
09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Mik'maq First Nations Aboriginal here from Nova Scotia reservation in Canada.
I joined this page to help find out questions about my 18 yr old nephew, whom was recently shipped out to Renous in New Brunswick, Maximum security jail.

Lancer
09-22-2013, 09:22 PM
ill let my sister know, she loves writing people.
She too is aboriginal, Mik'maq first nation from Nova Scotia, Canada.
is the address for him still the same?

Lancer
09-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Hope your bro is doing alright, he is in my thoughts an prayers, and so are you.
Sucks when we see our loved ones go through this system. My 18 yr old nephew (Brother) is in a Maximum security for 3 yrs on arm robbery charges. He been in an out of the system since he was 11 yrs old, from group homes to Juvi jail and now a maximum prison. Sad, hate seeing this happen to our people.
HUGS<3

Also send me the address etc to your bro, I live on reserve here in Canada and know some really good full first nations aboriginal woman. And they don't get any better then Native american. hehe God Bless.

Lancer
09-22-2013, 09:34 PM
I never heard of it.

Lancer
09-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi my name is Coda and I am posting for the first time. I am Part Cherokee and I let myself fall in love with a man in prison who has recently transferred to a new prison in Washington State from Clallam bay Washington. He was in the native circle but recently he told me he wanted to fight his case and that he was not going to be in the circle anymore for a while. He spends a lot of time in ceremony alone and has helped other brothers out with their walks. I worry about him and I don't understand a lot of things. I have only known him for a year and to be honest falling in love with him is very confusing at times. I don't know how it came to this but he has changed my life. I am now close to his family and I talk to his Mother often. I live in SC 2000 miles away from him so we usually talk on the phone and through letters. I have Private Line so calls are 2.00 for 20 minutes. I guess I am rambling but this is the first time I have found connections to others who might understand what I can't seem to for myself half of the time. I am leaving on December 17, to see him for the first time. His Mother and Father are paying for it and I am going to stay with his family. I guess this doesn't make much sense but I will post it anyway. Nothing seems to make sense right now anyway.

Coda

Hope all went well for you and him, Native Americans have that way with ppl and that charming smile, that melts any persons heart. even more so for non-native's I find anyways.
Love and light sent your way, god bless.

Lancer
09-22-2013, 09:56 PM

In most prisons, or at least here in Canada, they have sweat lodges and tribes inside where all the native ppl stick together, (Called the brother hood here in canada) but yeah, here they do gatherings, teachings, etc.
hope that he can find it as well, if not encourage him to ask around, there is got to be something for our people, if not maybe there are other native americans in the same prison/jail looking for another Native like himself.
I wish you all the very best, love and light, thoughts & prayers always. God Bless our Native people.

janrobinson
12-26-2013, 04:41 PM
I am new to the federal prison system and have a grandson Matt in arkansas. Recently he was approached to join a native American gang. I have been living in the dark way too long. The prison environment encourages hatred even among our on brothers. How sad!

QUOTE=David;171827]WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

Take a minute and introduce yourself, your connection to the correctional system and what brings you to the Native American forum, here on PTO. Know you are welcome, here, for whatever reason you stopped by.[/QUOTE]

goldenbutterfly
12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Greetings to my fellow Native Brothers & Sisters, I am a mother of a son who has been locked up for 8 yrs. since he was 18 yrs. old now 25 yrs. The jurisdiction should have been Tribal. The Tribal did not do there job now he is in the State Dept. of Corrections. This has been the hardest i have had to deal with in my life. I also met an inmate pen pal and I feel he came on to me to do some legal work for him. I feel so used by him. Well I am so glad to be here.

maytayah
12-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Greetings to my fellow Native Brothers & Sisters, I am a mother of a son who has been locked up for 8 yrs. since he was 18 yrs. old now 25 yrs. The jurisdiction should have been Tribal. The Tribal did not do there job now he is in the State Dept. of Corrections. This has been the hardest i have had to deal with in my life. I also met an inmate pen pal and I feel he came on to me to do some legal work for him. I feel so used by him. Well I am so glad to be here.

Hi I am sorry to hear that things haven't been so good for you, I hope 2014 is a much better year for you and I wish you peace and happiness I am sure you will find some good information and support here.
Sending best wishes to you and your son.