View Full Version : Attica Information Here Read Only

hoboken_ny
06-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Hello, I am new to this board. My brother recently was transferred to Attica after spending six months at Downstate. My mother and I are consumed with worry about his safety and well-being. We know he won't tell us any bad things that happen. Sometimes I lie awake at night imagining the various horrors that could happen (especially after exposure to media interpretations of prison life). Sometimes I have nightmares.

What I need is information to fill the void that my imagination keeps running wild with. What happens to a newbie when he arrives at Attica? Is he instantly harassed/attacked by other inmates? Are white prisoners at a greater risk of assault? (This is not intended as a racist question, just a matter-of-fact question.)

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you and God bless.

lulu
06-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Hello, I have a friend in attica, but i am afraid i cant help you with the question,

Welcome to PTO, we are glad to have you with us

underpants
08-10-2003, 05:14 PM
hello all! in octoboer i will be flying from california to buffalo, then renting a car to visit my friend who is in the prison in Attica...... i was just wondering if anyone on PTO has been to Attica for visits, and if there are any horror stories (or Positive happy stories!) about the place. i will be going on 2 week days to avoid crazy weekend lines, so hopefully all will be well. my friend told me that i only need an ID to see him and that i don't have to do anything ahead of time, and i guess i'm just paranoid about getting "denyed" to see him and i'm coming from so far away i just want to be cautious, so if anyone has any helpful hints about attica visitation or any stories, post 'em here! cheers,
amy

+++++++++++++
++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++

roc city girl
08-10-2003, 05:32 PM
well i never been there, but i have passed by it and all i can say to prepare your eyes! it looks spooky as hell from the ourside. kind of like an abonded castle or something. Let us know how the inside is once you get to see your friend.

TEEDEE20
08-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Amy, I visited my husband up there years ago and like the previous post states, it is scarey as hell up there. You have to wait in your car and then get on a bus to the facility. I also flew up to Niagara Falls and drove to Attica (it was pretty far). From what I remember about the visiting room, he wasn't able to get up to get food from the vending machines and we had to sit across from each other. I didn't like it back then but maybe things have changed since then. Good luck and have a safe trip

Tammy

MRSLMW
08-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi Amy,

I am actually in the Federal system now, but I used to go to Attica in the early 80's. It wasn't bad at all, crowded and noisy, but good.

The only problem I ever had was setting off the metal detector on my very first visit. They thought it was the underwires in my bra, (back then there were really made of wire, not plastic like a lot are today), so I had to take it off and put it in a bag, but I still set it off. I took off everything I could and still be decent, but still could not clear it. Finally one of the guards told me to go to the water fountain and get water to slick my hair down, (it was down to my waist and very thick), so I did and it worked! Everyone got a laugh out of that one and I always wet my hair down after that. (it was the static electricity and the fact that they used to keep that metal dectector set really low).

Back then my ex-husband could go to a line in front of the machines, but could not go to the machines. And they had you sit at tables, but you could sit wherever you wanted. There was also lot of sex going on in that visitation room back then! I wonder if that's changed?

Don't let the appearance of Attica scare you. It is one of the more architecturally, imposingly, awesome prison I have ever seen. (I study prison architectur) These new ones look like college campuses, and I think prison should look intimidating.

There used to be a restaurant in town, I think it was called the Pewter Place. They had great Prime Rib. I ate there every time I went to visit my ex.

You will be fine on your visit. Attica isn't at the end of the world. It can always be worse, like Dannamora or Sing Sing.

Enjoy your visit. If you ever want to read a good book about Attica, try "A Time to Die" by Tom Wicker. It's about the Attica Uprising in September 1971. Or try to get the original movie Against the Wall, the one with Morgan Freeman in it. The one where the prisoners wear green and and the guards are in blue.

God I miss NY. My husband couldln't have gotten arressted there, nooooooo, he gets Federal time down in TN :( Heck, now I've get to do the tour with the Feds that's all.!

Have fun, Be Safe.

UniqNegra
08-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi, I drove to Attica on a snow blizzard and the experience was okay. After the long drive i was happy to be there. Yes you have to sit in the parking lot until a bus comes around and picks you up, to take you across. Just as ridiculous as in Rikers Island, where a bus took you as far as across the strett. I wore a long skirt and a loose shir, my hair was out and i had glasses. I was surprised at how simple and easy it was. Once you enter the room, you walk outside to walk across by yourself, and you have to find the visiting rooms. When i went in i had no idea what to do. But you have to approach the officer sitting in front of the room (trust me you will see him). He will direct you where to sit down. Then your loved one will come. After the visit, once you are walking out, the inmate is allowed to walk a few steps behind you. It's not as scary as it might look. Atleast not for me. I was better than my visits in Rikers.

Jenuwine
09-10-2003, 08:03 AM
My husband was in Attica, it was my first prison experience. Weekdays are a lot better than weekends. Bring a second form of ID "just in case". Make sure it isn't out of date and you shouldn't have any problems. Going on a week day shouldn't be so bad either as far as the guards are concerned. The food is reasonably priced compared other prisons I've been in. You'll have to fill out a "first time" visitors form and there is an inmate from the medium security prison when you come in the door that will tell you what you need to fill out. Stay at the Attican hotel. The owner is super nice and prices are cheap!!

Jenuwine
09-10-2003, 08:18 AM
O! And to clarify one thing, you don't have to sit in the parking lot waiting for the van to get you if you go on a weekday. That is one of the reasons weekdays are better. Visiting starts at 9 but they will allow you to wait in the waiting room at about 8:45. You have to get the food, they can't get up and you buy tickets for pictures although when I was there last they didn't take pictures through the week.

danielle
09-13-2003, 10:34 AM
On Monday morning, September 13, 1971, an uprising by prison inmates of the Attica Correctional Facility, a maximum security prison located in western New York, ended in the bloodiest prison confrontation in American history. Five days earlier, thirteen hundred prisoners had rebelled, taken over the prison, and held forty guards hostage. Issuing a list of demands—including calls for improvements in living conditions as well as educational and training opportunities—they entered into negotiations with state officials. The negotiations failed and state police and national guard troops seized the prison; in the course of taking it over they killed forty-three individuals, including ten hostages.

The Attica Rebellion is more than a prison insurrection. It is also a window into the time and culture that produced it. It offers scholars and non-scholars alike an opportunity to examine closely a facet of our society that most of us rarely see or experience yet which is increasingly viewed by other nations and cultures as a fixture of American life. We lock away millions of people every decade in penal institutions; occasionally, as in the case of Attica, their inmates rebel and become socially and politically visible. When they become visible, so do our prisons and our criminal justice system.

Prisoners rebel for various reasons: because the warden is insensitive and cruel, because they are abused by guards, because living and sleeping conditions become intolerable, because certain prison communities foster group militancy, because social and cultural movements outside prisons encourage rebellion. Whatever the reasons, the act of rebellion brings public attention.

Utlimately, the Attica Rebellion is about us. Revisiting it permits us to peer into a world that we, after all, created—and perhaps reexamine our penal institutions once again, without waiting for another bloody rebellion. By bringing to the public the numerous documents, radio documentaries, films, videos, and interviews that were produced during and after the events of September 1971, we hope to give teachers, students, and the general public an opportunity to directly experience and reflect on the events and participants of the Attica Rebellion—and to stimulate debate and discussion of America's criminal justice system.

Gerald Zahavi
The University at Albany ~ SUNY

http://www.talkinghistory.org/attica/index.html

toi_ama
09-13-2003, 10:44 AM
What the "tough on crime" movement these days doesn't realize is that they've created the breeding ground for another Attica.

shirl
10-17-2003, 12:37 PM
My brother was just moved to Attica. He's been locked up most of his life since age 10 but Attica is a whole new game.
Any information would be appreciated. How do i get a list of items ok to send to him? What are visiting hours and rules?
I live about 9 hours away, so won't get to visit too much.
Do they have family days at Attica? Can he get on the trailer visit waiting list to spend time with brothers and sisters or can you only get those visits with wives and kids?
thanks, shirl

Jenuwine
10-20-2003, 01:29 PM
What are visiting hours and rules? 9-3 but normally they end the visits sooner than 3. Rules are just like any other prisons, no contraband, no skimpy clothing, no inappropriate behavior.
Do they have family days at Attica? If you mean Festivals, yes. Can he get on the trailer visit waiting list to spend time with brothers and sisters or can you only get those visits with wives and kids? Brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents and children can go on trailer visits as well as the prisoners wives or children. The prisoner has to go through programs, be on good behavior and get approved by his counselor and Albany.

shirl
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the info about Attica. I just wanted to let people know, I've only been in contact with my brother for the last couple years. We lived together on and off as children in foster homes. we are 8 siblings and have only all been together one time in our lives. I've visited my brother as a child many times in the detention center in Rochester and a couple times in different prisons but otherwise I don't know much about the rules for prisoners, so any help is appreciated. thanks again, shirl

Jenuwine
10-21-2003, 09:07 AM
If you plan on driving there from MD just go straight up 11/15 North. Sorry to hear you guys didn't grow up together.

shirl
10-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Is it hard to get thru Harrisburg on 15/11? Also, I was wondering what kind of money does the average inmate need in their account for each month? My brother won't ask me for any help or let me know what he needs. I'd like to send him some warm clothes. I just hate to think of him being cold. I have no idea what things cost and what he needs. How often do they get to go to commisary? are they only allowed to spend a set amount? I put my brother on my life insurance as a beneficiary in case anything happens to me but would they be able to put that money into his accout? It's not much but would help I'm sure. we don't have any older family members to watch out for him, only the siblings and we all have so many issues, I'm afraid he would be forgotten again.
shirl

Scoogies_Lady
11-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi,
If anyone has ever been on a visit, can you please tell me what to expect, what can I bring, what can I wear, things of that nature?
I plan on going next week (day after thanksgiving), so also what is a weekend visit like? I read that they are horrible, and you have to wait to be called.
Please can someone either respond or PM me? I am extremely nervous, but need to see my Honey and will endure anything I have to!!

Jenuwine
11-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Weekday visits are better because you can go right to the prison and sign in. On weekends you have to go to the visitors center, fill out your paperwork and wait for your number to be called. They bring you over to the prison a handful at a time in a van. If you are driving on your own it is better to do one of two things on weekends. Get there early to get a number or get there around 11 so you don't have to sit in the visitors center long. To get there early you have to be there around 6 and line up at the first entrance. Hopefully there will be a few other cars there so you know what I'm talking about. If not, sit in the parking lot until you see others show up and pull behind them. After you get a number you can go back to your hotel and then come back around 8-8:30 and wait in your car until the blue van comes around to get you. Stay at the Attican, it's cheap and very close by. You can bring in cards, money for the vending machines, if you have a baby you'll have to find out from someone else what you are allowed to bring for them as far as diapers and that is concerned. I don't know too much in that area. Just don't wear anything revealing. If you can help it don't wear an underwire bra or you'll have to take it off to go through the metal detector. Don't wear clothes with a lot of metal, Attica gives you one warning about clearing the detector after that you can be denied visits in the future if you don't clear it. Am I missing anything that you still have questions on???

jnv512
11-19-2003, 12:58 PM
This is from another group I belong to:

The worst part is if you come by the prison buses you have to wait in the buss untill 7am then you go into the little house to sign in and stand on line for the one bathroom .the people that work there are nice.then you wait for a van to take you over to the facility to be further processed. the peole who drive up get first on ticckets to get in. the first bus there is usually United Bros the one i take smile.by 8:30 you start going over. When you get there have your id ready to get your key for the locker if you ring there is a bathroom to take off what ever is the problem.Then you sit and wait for the inmate's name to be called you go and pass thru the metal detect and get your right hand stamped go to a little room show your hand then you go thru to the walkway outside to another building show your paper then go thru to a area get assigned a table . yes get your food as you wait for your loved one . there are two visiting rooms it depends on what number you had at the hospitaity house the higher the number you'll be in room 2. the picture background is better romm 1 has disney world yuck yuck .o h yeah you have to wait on the picture line to buy tickets $1.50 a pic. yes you kiss when you arrive play cards play hand games like messaging each others hands. once i got my feet messaged wow! you can hug ,kiss give hickeys if you are sophiticated enogh you kno be creative smile The cops are ok the less you say to them the better. when th visit is over you kiss hug feel and leave smile . then you just dream all the way home .

Scoogies_Lady
11-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks so much, some of my nervousness is leaving...

Scoogies_Lady
11-19-2003, 02:30 PM
oh and Val can you tell me what group that is? I would like to join it as well!

bajangal
11-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone. My husband is currently serving his 15yr sentence in Attica and as of right now I have no way to visit him. My car was recently stolen and because I did not have full coverage insurance I had to take it as a lost, and I'm now out of a car. I know that they are weekend bus rides to the prision but I work on weekends and cannot take any days off because I just started my job last week. The only days I have off are during the week but I have no way of seeing my husband or talking to him on the phone because I have a $2,500 bill worth of collect calls and they shut my service off. So if anyone knows of any buses or public transportation that goes to Attica on weekdays please holla back. I miss my husband and I really need to see him. :(

roc city girl
11-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Hey B have u looked at the transportation list we got here??

outshineswisdom
11-25-2003, 08:24 AM
From what I heard, Amtrak and then a cab. But it cost alot of money. You might be better off just renting a car for the day or for two, it would probably come out to the same amount. None of the buses run on the weekdays just weekend visits. You might be able to find a bus that goes up on holidays during a week but thats really it. The bus I take goes up to Attica but he doesnt do weekdays and he's the cheapest in price and his bus is very clean. I'm not sure about Attica, but you should see if they had visits on weekdays cause not all do. Good Luck...Welcome to PTO...

...KD...

Jenuwine
11-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Coming from another state I have checked out a lot of possibilities, simply because I don't want to put the miles on my car. Renting a car would be too expensive. You only get so many miles each day and after that you have to pay PER MILE. I checked to see if they had a special "unlimited" mile package for the weekends but they didn't. Maybe you'll be able to find someone that goes up there to ride with. Anyway you take will be costly. Taking Greyhound would take at least a day if you get one where there is no lay overs and then you would have to catch a cab or rent a car on top of that to take from Buffalo to the prison. I hope you find a ride though, its got to be tuff for you right now.

alicecat
11-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi there
i need advice - i have no idea what i am doing. I have been writing to an inmate of attica for a while as a penpal - we aren't related and i haven't met him. I am going to be up that way in March and was thinking it might be nice to visit. I have no idea what the procedure is. Do i have to get persmission or clearance? I was not going to tell him about the visit, as i don't know if i can definitely do it and don't want to back out after i've said i might be coming. But is this just impossible? does he need to know that I'll be coming? (I am in Australia so this is all really different for me). Any advice - including the best way to get to the jail would be very helpful
thanks

Scoogies_Lady
12-01-2003, 08:07 AM
:dance:
I had a great first visit!!!
Kudos to Queensbridge Tours and Corky, we made it up there in pretty good time.
Attica is not as scary as I thought it would be. I found out that if you are quiet the CO's won't bother you.
We had a table in the front, and I was able to touch and kiss and the CO's basically left us alone.
I never thought 5 1/2 hours would go so quickly!!!
We laughed and talked like old times, and there was a moment when we both got sad, but I made him laugh and we went on to other things.
All in all it was a good visit, and I don't mind going again, and again, and again.
Bad thing: I cried when I left, only because he looked so sad. He wouldn't even watch me walk out the door.
Good thing: He asked me to marry him, and I'm thinking about it!!!!
Thanks to all of you for your support!!!

dragnbaby2003
12-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Awww...It's so wonderful to hear that you had a great first visit...That time really does go by fast....doesn't it?....Thanks for sharing your visit with us....I'll keep you in my thoughts and, prayers. And congrats on him asking you to marry him...I'm sure things are going to be great for the two of you....Just keep the faith....God Bless.....

Amira
12-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Attica really isn't a bad place to visit. I did it all last winter and it's really okay. The CO's are pretty mild mannered in the visiting room. The vending machine man is literally there the whole visit. It could definitely be a lot worse.

-Tanya

LeaAnn
12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
So glad to hear everything went so well and you received a marriage proposal.

caprione
12-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Terrific!! The visit, the marriage proposal!! I amg lad it went well and the trip up here went smoothly. Roc City Girl needs to knwo about the service you used for her transportation thread. smiles

Yes, the leaving is so hard...sigh...we usually won't say 'goodbye', just "I love you, I'll see you soon" If I say goodbye, I start crying before I get out of there. I always cry some once I am out but I try not to let anything show when I am leaving.
I am so glad you had a good visit and I hope you get another one soon!
Caprione

usopwilly
12-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Yea, the vending machine man there is the best, if you don't have change or large bills like a 10 or 20, he will break it and if something gets stuck, he give you your money back or when he has the machines open gives you the food you lost out on.That is the only jail I been to that does shit like that. A lot of times if you lose your money in the machines, they tell you to call the vendor for a refund. Yea right, like I'm going to make a long distance call and say Umm the machine ate my buck? lol

haswtch
12-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Sweet! so glad it went well. The name "Attica" has so much scary historical baggage it's good to hear things are mellow there (relatively speaking)

Scoogies_Lady
12-02-2003, 09:05 AM
For those who want to know what transportation service I used, it was Queensbridge Tours/Unique Bros. The drivers name is Corky, and it was a very good ride. I highly recommend them for anyone going to Attica. we made three other stops but I don't remember the names of the facilities.

Lysbeth
12-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Hi,

Since you had some specific visitation questions for Attica, I have moved this thread to the New York forum on PTO so your post will have the opportunity to get more specific responses and the best answers to your questions, and won’t get lost in the busy Visitation forum... I’ve found they often get more and better answers there, AND the information will be here to help others in the future, too. :)

You also might want to thumb thru the New York forum to see if some of your questions have already been answered in the past... the direct link to the forum is here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=159

Hope you find the info you're looking for and good luck! :)

Lys

Amira
12-03-2003, 06:09 AM
You can visit him and you don't need clearance prior. Just bring your ID with you and you'll be fine. Good Luck

-Tanya

jnv512
12-03-2003, 08:55 AM
There's some information on Attica in other posts here. If you need any other info, just pm me or post your questions here.

ThePriSONerSWyF
12-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Bajan Gal, i am in the same boat. We just got transfered to Clinton and my off days fluctuate also. I dont know how close they are, but if you are willing to drive up, maybe we can start a weekday carpool with licensed drivers (experienced). If we all chip in for the rental, it should all work out. I drive...but would prefer to put the milage on a rental. Pm me

Peace

ssnaf
12-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone I am a new member;

I would like to share some information about weekday visits to Attica:

Greyhound will take you to Buffalo N.Y.
you can call the hope house in advance to make reservations to be picked up from the Greyhound terminal and taken to Attica and when your visit is over they will take you back to greyhound you can even make reservation to stay at the hope house if you're planning on visiting more than one day they charge about $20 for over night and it is a really nice well kept place and by the time you get back from the visit they will have dinner prepared for you
here is the info for the hope house

Hope Hospitality House
30 Wyoming Ave.
Buffalo, New York 14215
(716) 892-5574

eastbayguy
12-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any replies.

An acquaintence of mine is in Attica, NY prison. I've just found out how to write to him, and decided to start doing so. Is it permitted for me to send a self-addressed envelope should he decide to write back? Would such a gesture be appreciated or resented? I've heard he enjoys writing letters. Would it be OK if I sent him a little book of stamps through the mail from time to time?

What's life like in Attica? This must be one of the most infamous prisons ever, due to the riot. How are people treated inside Attica? Is it as awful as people on the outside imagine?

If possible, I'd go visit this person in the future. Do I need to make arrangements in advance?

Again, thanks to anyone who responds. Much appreciated.

--Bill

Jenuwine
12-27-2003, 04:43 PM
No, you can't send that stuff to him. You'll have to put money on his books for him to buy stamps. You can't even send the envelope. You don't have to make arrangements to go but if you choose to go on a weekend PM me and I'll give you the scoop. Too long to write here and it is different then weekdays. It's no different then the other prisons. I actually liked their visiting room the best so far out of the 4 NY prisons I've been to. You have your a--hole guards at every prison. I know at one point there was a problem with the A block and an outside group was investigating it. Whatever happened, I don't know. There were complaints of guards on the A block abusing the inmates at one point in time. That was in 2002, if it is still going on, I don't know. I'm sure you have those guards in every prison though. It isn't too bad for outsiders. Most prisons treat visitors as if they are the prisoners and like dirt. You just have to kill them with kindness. :)

Sweet_Pea_F79
01-05-2004, 07:37 PM
I have actually heard that Attica isnt that bad of a prison at all after the riot that happened. I live not to far from there and havent heard too much going on there. I actually think I hear more about Wyoming Correctional Facility (right next door). Thats where my guy as at. If I can help ya any let me know

shirl
02-01-2004, 06:34 AM
My brother is in A block at Attica. He says a guy two cells away from him died from a heart attack last week while no one did anything to try to help him or made any attempt to revive him.
If anyone is aware of this event please let me know any details.
thanks, shirl

ebonyrose
03-10-2004, 05:04 PM
My husband just got transferred to Attica not too long ago and I just wanted to know if someone could tell me the visiting days and times, thanks

NYYankee
03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
I haven't been there in awhile but last I knew visiting is everyday 9-3. if you go on the weekend get there early (6AM) to get a number. You will see the line of cars at the far end of the parking lot. If you go twice during the week you cannot go on the weekend. But you could go, say, Fri, Sat and Sun. (one weekday and both weekend days) The visit room is pretty nice and most of the guards are ok. You can kiss during the visit! :) Gee, I miss Attica.

mrodriguez
03-11-2004, 12:40 AM
my husbands in attica the visits have not changed fom what nyyankee said if your not gonna take a bus up on the weekend you gotta get there early.other wise you will be waiting a long time cuz from the visiting center they take you over by bus only one the weekend and they only take 5 people at a time if you have any other ?s pm me and i'll help in any way i can

ebonyrose
03-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Thank you for providing me this info. Have a great day! :)

Gerbera
03-25-2004, 04:19 PM
I realize that this is a long shot, but I am wondering if anyone on here was in Attica Prison, New York in the early to mid 1960's, or knows of someone who was that is still alive. I am seeking information about a loved one who was incarcerated at Attica for a few years during that time period. He has since died. I would be interested in talking to anyone who actually knew him in prison, or spoke with him. Some people may have called him "Big Joe". He was also known to our family as "Beans", but he may have not used that name in prison.

butlersbaby02
05-26-2004, 10:33 AM
"My love was supposed to be transferred to Wende but when they picked him up last Friday they notified him he was headed to Attica! He's been at Auburn all weekend due to inmate problems at Attica and I have no idea when he'll finally reach there or when I'll get to see him. I hear Attica is not a favorable spot to be in. If anyone has any info on it, visits,packages,how the facility is, ANYTHING, please give me a heads up. I'm so worried about him right now and stressed out.!

"You should've known your girl was gonna ride or die....." Monica-U should've known better

j2sq
05-26-2004, 10:40 AM
http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50358&highlight=attica

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34182&highlight=attica

here r some links for some info...

GOOD LUCK HUN!

my fiance has not been there yet, but i know that any time he was in auburn for transit, it took a while! up to 3 weeks, even! ...i know that if he is in Auburn for more than 8 days, u might be able to visit him there. just a thought!

...calm down! i am sure everything will be OK!

j2sq
05-26-2004, 10:42 AM
here is a PTO member's '02 experience with Attica...

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270&highlight=attica

here's another...

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39891&highlight=attica

caprione
05-26-2004, 09:45 PM
[B]My husband was there for 10 years. However, I did not know him at that time and I have never been there.
He has told me only that it is harsh. The inmate population is dangerous and one does better to stay to one's self.
I wanted to ask if Wende is a max and where it is located? If a total error was made, you might be able to talk to someone at Classification and movement in Albany to see if anything can be done. 518-457-8126
My husband was transferred to the wrong facility last summer, instead of back to the one he had left (which is what should have happened after he completed a program), but because the new place was "in the same 'hub'", they would not do anything to correct their error. It might be worth a call or two though
Caprione

butlersbaby02
05-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Thank you so much. I believe they are in the same hub. I've heard from one of his"boys" at his previous spot that said Attica has gotten better some and that it's better than Wende. They're both near Buffalo.He's still at Auburn right now, I don't know when he'll finally reach Attica but I will be there to see him ASAP.

caprione
05-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Probably so about it being safer than it used to be since many of those in the system now are not 'hardened criminals' and really just need to get off drugs or alcohol, ei need rehab, rather than prison terms. Once they get inside and drugs aren't so readily available, their heads clear and most of them just want to do their time and get out.
I wish you both luck.
Caprione

mrodriguez
05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
my husbands been at attica for the past year now and its not as bad as it once was wende is just as bad if not worse cuz my brother is there its a long ride if your coming from the city visits are from 9-3 if you take a car up its best to get there early on the weekends due to the fact that there are 3 sometimes 4 bus's there are visits 7 days a week if you have any questions feel free to pm me and ill answer anthing i can

j2sq
05-27-2004, 01:32 PM
wende is about a 1/2 hour from Buffalo. it is in the same hub. it is located in Alden.

Joe was at Wende, and we LOVED it! it was OK for him. a few probs here and there but, the basics. the visiting was wonderful! we got to know the CO's. i live right near Wende so that was a blessing for me! :)

Attica is about an hour from me, so maybe the same distance from Wende. like 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from Wende.

GOOD LUCK TO HIM!

hope the links helped butlersbaby...

NYYankee
06-17-2004, 06:20 PM
The phones in Attica have always been a problem, there's just not enough of them. Last year they started using a number system so that you could only use the phone that coincided with your ID number. Example: If your ID ended in 1 you could only use the phone that was for numbers 1-3. If there was a long line on that phone but the 3-5 phone was empty, you still had to wait. If you were caught on the wrong phone you were issued a ticket. Well, I guess that wasn't frustrating enough because now they have reduced the time limit for phone calls from 1/2 an hour to 15 minutes. The computer on the phone is still set for 30 minutes before "I Robot" comes on to tell you that you have 60 seconds left, so you have to monitor your time yourself and make sure you end your call in 15 minutes. It seems like the administration is trying to exacerbate the problem instead of solving it. A simple solution would be to add more phones. Too simple maybe? With the over 20 million they make on the phones each year in NY alone, you would think there would be phones all over the place! Is the need for punishment even greater then their greed? If there are any CO's reading this, can you explain it to me, because I see absolutely no sense in it?

LeaAnn
06-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Wow Attica sure is a trip making 1/2 hour phone calls be limited to 15 minutes! That is not even right! It would be so simple to just add phones for the inmates huh? I wonder if that is the only NY prison having those kind of problems?

FirstLady85
06-18-2004, 04:01 PM
All that means is they'll be making more money on the phones. If you have to hang up after 15 minutes and the phone is still available, then when they call back that's another $3 connection charge plus the cost of the call. So DOCS is making MORE MONEY.That's what it boils down to.They are so greedy!

NYYankee
08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
(Attica, NY) 07/30/04 - Three Attica prison guards are recovering from stab wounds. An inmate attacked them with a homemade knife just before 5:00 p.m. Thursday as guards were moving prisoners to the cafeteria for dinner.
From Channel 13 News Rochester

As of today they are still on lockdown 8/3/04. They are still having visits but are cutting them short at 2:30

Vondiefox
10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I went to Attica on Sept 25th , and it does look like an old casle , and there are 2 visiting rooms , It was an ok experience except for they call you one by one to step to the medal detector and by the time I got to see my husband it was almost noon. On the weekends you have to take a number and wait for your number to be called for the van, they take over like 5 people at a time. i waited like 3 hours to see my Husband , I will never complain about Green Haven again , arrive at 7:30 my husband was in my face by 8. I suggest you get there early so that you can get an early number , I was # 47 . Good Luck

NYYankee
10-05-2004, 05:41 PM
You can hold hands and kiss as long as you don't get too carried away. The guard that runs the visiting room is pretty laid back but there isn't any sex going on I can tell you that! If you kiss too long they will come to your table and break you up. When it is time to leave they give you a few minutes to hug and say goodbye.
All the visitors go to the front of the room and leave together and the men stay at the tables untill everyone is gone.
MRSLMW-You are right, Dannemora is a whole different ballgame as far as visits go!

quietstorm
10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Vondiefox, you were @ attica the same day as myself. I had # 21 & was in the visiting room by 10AM.... If you want to get a decent number, ride with Corky/United Brothers (917-731-4286); He's usually the first bus to arrive @ the facility, then Operations Prison Gap & flamboyant is usually the last. United Brothers only picks up in Brooklyn, Queens, & Manhattan. I live in Queens & I usually take the train to manhattan (easier for me). Also, Corky have a number system; he hands out the visitor form in the order that you call him to make reservations; I call monday mornings so I can get a good number.

Vondiefox
10-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi QuietStorm : thank you so much , because those few hours with my boo was not enough. I have no problem with going to Manhattan because Flamboyant may pick you up in the Bronx but they drop you off on 34th street, and when I was looking for a pick up in the Bronx , I was also expecting to be dropped off in the Bronx. I will definitely try United Brothers, Prison Gap I'm still afraid to use too many horror stories, their busses are always breaking down and their drivers are over worked . About five years ago I used them to visit a friend at Marcy , and the driver fell asleep behind the wheel and we were swirving off the road it was terrifying , We insisted that he pull over and get 3 hours sleep we told him we rather be late and safe. So I rather not do prison Gap , but I will try United Bros thanks again

Manzanita
10-09-2004, 07:23 PM
hello ladies,
I wonder if either of you can offer information about this prison for the prison profiles forum?? please PM it to me, thanks

Visiting Rules:

Visiting Room:

Lodging:

Prison Web Site:

FRP available:

Number of prisoners:

General Information:

a picture?

BMndBabygirl
02-03-2005, 02:13 PM
My boyfriend has been in Elmira, and now Attica. Can anyone relate?

BrazyFace
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
hi to all i was wondering if anyone drives to attica do they carpool if so can you get back at me

linzip
02-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I will be looking for a carpool also to go for the weekend & share a hotel room to visti both days like twice a month starting in April (hopefully) ... The more of us the cheaper it will be... but definately go with united brothers if no car. I used to take them to Malone & they were always first & always afe & courteous! I would rather walk that take prison gap ever again!

BMndBabygirl
02-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I go to attica but need a vehicle.. i can give gas money but dont have a license right now.. pm me if you want to talk more about it

BMndBabygirl
02-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Im wondering if there is a problem in Attica. If there is anyone else out there that has any information please respond back. I have talked to a few girls who have men in there.. they havent gotten any recent phone calls i dont know about visitation. I dont have access to long distance (so i cant call the prison), im wondering if something happened and they are on lockdown. My man hasnt called like he was supposed to. I hope everything is ok

linzip
02-15-2005, 07:51 PM
My huband is currently out to court but the letter I got written last Wednesday (2/9) just before he was sent out said that an inmate had been shot in the yard & there are about 120 inmates on lockdown... I am sorry that is all I know... I have been waitng for him to return so he could call me but unfortunately he won't be back untill the end of this week... I'll try to find out more...

TRsMom
02-16-2005, 06:22 AM
I just checked on the situation in Attica and the word I'm getting is that nothing really out of the ordinary is happening. Tear gas was thrown in the yard last week...about 30 inmates were gased. There was a fight in the mess hall last week. My source told me there have been no lockdowns :confused:

NYYankee
03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I have heard that as of April this year, family members of inmates in Attica can only send 2 twenty pound food packages per year. Any other type of purchase must be done by the inmate. Families can no longer order books, clothes, food, etc through vendors for the inmates. The family must put the money on the inmates account, and the inmate has to order it himself through the business office. This process will take weeks if not months. Also the inmate must have the pink slip from the business office in order to pick up the package. No slip, no package. I have heard that sometimes these slips never make their way to the inmate.
I am wondering how Attica gets to change the rules just for Attica? This, along with taking away phones and lowering the phone call limit to 15 minutes per call seems to reek of the admin asking for trouble.

What do you think?

chinikfb
03-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Peace....My first concern/question is how can Attica create rules in isolation from others....perhaps it can not. As such, its worth checking out via the state level and the various advocacy groups. Blessings...

TRICIAB
03-16-2005, 11:40 AM
In NY state and other states packages are considered a privledge not a right
Texas and Florida allow nothing from home
Five Points tried to restrict packages from home several years ago but it was ultimately reversed
even if this goes through if you put some money in his account it takes about 7 to 10 days for him to get a check cut and an order placed The business offices are very reliable, he will get the order out.
TRICIAB

AshantiFan
03-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I just got a memo from Attica about this issue and the superintendent states that he is doing this inorder to comply with directive 4921 which pertains to Tv's

NYYankee
03-16-2005, 02:48 PM
My understanding is that the prisoners gave up the privilege of getting packages from home every month in order to have a TV. They could still get 2 packages a month from a vender but only 2 packages a year from home and mostly consisting of food. Which means instead of going to Walmart and getting my husband $9.99 shower shoes and sending them to him, I have to order them online and pay shipping ( which last time came to about 25.00 total) and also dealing with the hassle of the facility refusing things and having my husband have to pay for the return shipping. I thought we put up with this for the privilege of havng a TV??
I realise with this rule change they are not saying that they cannot have their two packages a month from a vender, they are just making it EVEN more of a hassle than it was before in hopes of what??? So I think the superintendant saying he is complying with a directive is just a little weak at this point, he was already complying with it, he is just twisting it now. I will have to read this directive instead of just going by past rules since we know that they can change/twist rules at whim.

Timetable to think about: He orders:

I send him money, mail time-3-4 days
He puts in request for check- 10 days
(It once took 22 days for me to receive a check from the facility so I will go with 10 days to be fair)
He mails check with order, mail time-5 days
Order is received, processed and shipped- 7-14 days
It could take up to 33 days to complete an order.
------------------------------------------------
Another timetable:
He tells me what he needs in a letter- 3-4 days
I order it online and have it sent to him-2-7 days
If he tells me what he needs over the phone or on a visit he could have it within days.

So I wonder, just who is benefiting by this rule twist?

amstaffdad
03-22-2005, 04:37 AM
I actually was an inmate at Clinton Correctional Facility when the inmates voted to have their right to recieve packages restricted in order to have tvs. This apparently has taken place now at Attica. Once they agree to this restriction it becomes the rule of law in that facility from that day forward, so good bye to them packages from home, and hello interference on the part of the administration. For the most part processing inmate purchases etc via the business office, and doing the money game isnt a big deal, rather routine as they do it already now anyway. But i do se room for them giving inmates hard times with that statement regarding you must have a slip from business office to receive package from package room. As some of them slips do disappear by mistake, error, or on purpose. One thing iI will say with regards to this I was totlly against giving up any of my rights when i was inside since i was one of the ones who constantly fought to gain greater and further rights, but in the end the majority wins, and unfortunately I also have to say they knew what they were getting since other maxes have had tvs for years now (clinton at least 10 years), so buck up men and dont be bitchin after you voluntarily gace away the rights many fought to have in the first place.

NYYankee
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
It seems that the admin at Attica has decided NOT to change the package rules at this time.

AshantiFan
03-25-2005, 09:39 AM
The superintendent is actually following the directive word for word. They can still get 2 a year from home and 35lbs every month and other stuff from a vendor but the inmate must pay for it out of his own account and produce the disbursement form when picking up their package. This does have the potential to go statewide.

I have atatched directive 4921 for anyone to look at.

AshantiFan
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I just got word that Attica has decided not to enfore directive 4921! All packages can proceeed as normal!!!

MRSLA
03-30-2005, 07:42 PM
My fiance just got shipped from Elmira to Attica on Monday!

tuttles
04-01-2005, 11:21 AM
my husband too. Guess Attica had a lot of empty beds????? :idea:

MRSLA
04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
my fiance called today and he told me to ask you your mans name they were probably on the bus together to Attica!

angelrose359
05-16-2005, 06:29 PM
i herd that attica is in lockdown has anyone herd?

amstaffdad
06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
This is great, now here is a time when a superintendent chose to excercise their inherent powers to run their facitility the way they see works best for all involved! Wow are times really changing in nys prison system?

jesuschick
07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I urge all people who have loved ones there to contact their Senators and State Rep.

This is because New York believes that all inmates are scum and liars. Clair

judyf72@aol.com wrote:
Group says Attica staff mistreats prisoners

But New York says the report is 'meaningless'

Gary Craig (http://us.f807.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=gcraig@democratandchronicle.com)
Staff writer

(July 15, 2005) — An inmate advocacy group contends that staff abuse of inmates is pervasive at the Attica Correctional Facility and prisoners are fearful of retaliation if they complain to prison officials.

"Inmates reported that physical assaults by staff occur when inmates are intentionally isolated from other inmates who could be potential witnesses, either by removing them from group movements throughout the facility or taking them to locations where the staff is alone with the inmate," states a recent report by the Correctional Association of New York.

Jack Beck, the director of the Correctional Association's prison visiting program, said that "abuse by the staff at Attica appears to be more prevalent than elsewhere" within the state prison system.

State correctional officials disputed the claims, maintaining that the Correctional Association's sole goal is to lobby for inmates and that its reports are often rife with untruths.

"The bottom line for the Correctional Association is that the felons can do no wrong and that the staff can do no good," said Department of Correctional Services spokesman James Flateau. "That's the mantra of the Correctional Association, which renders their reports meaningless."

The maximum-security Attica, located in Wyoming County, is well-known as the prison that erupted in a deadly riot in 1971 after inmates, angered over conditions, seized control of the facility. The riot and subsequent violent retaking by State Police led to 43 deaths of inmates and prison employees.

The New York City-based Correctional Association, which has been in existence for more than 160 years, visits prisons across New York and reports on conditions.

In March, association members toured Attica, interviewing inmates, staff and the superintendent. According to the Correctional Association report, complaints about abuse were widespread.

Those allegations mirrored what Correctional Association staff heard when they were at Attica in 2002, the last association report from the prison. Then, the association reported that "the level of fear and intimidation among inmates at Attica was the worst we have seen systemwide."

According to the most recent report:

<LI>Formal prisoner grievances about staff conduct increased by 36 percent from 2003 to 2004, "a troubling indicator of the poor relationship among inmates and staff."

<LI>Inmates allege that officers physically retaliate against prisoners who file grievances alleging staff misconduct.

<LI>Some prisoners allege that "cells are sometimes opened to permit other inmates to physically assault an inmate who has offended an officer."

<LI>Inmates who complain risk denial of recreation or meals.

Beck said that officers are loath to challenge their colleagues, so there is often little evidence to support an allegation of abuse. In turn, inmates grow less willing to come forward. "It becomes a blue wall of silence," Beck said. "There's very little chance of an officer getting caught."

Officers admitted that "more force is used at Attica than at other maximum security prisons because, according to them, Attica's inmate population is more prone to disciplinary infractions and violence, and force therefore becomes necessary more often," the report states.

According to corrections officials, reports of inmate assaults on staff have stayed largely steady at Attica during the past six years. In 2000, there were 74, and last year there were 75. To date, there have been 35 this year.

Reported inmate assaults on other prisoners have declined, with 63 reports in 2000, 29 last year, and 21 to date this year.

Denny Fitzpatrick, spokesman for the New York state Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association, said the prisons are safer than they were years ago when overcrowding plagued the system. He disputed claims that staff abuse is rampant at Attica, contending that the officers remain professional in an environment where they are surrounded by killers, rapists, and inmates battling mental illness.

The Correctional Association's claims, he said, are "absolutely ludicrous."

Beck said more use of video cameras throughout the facility could answer whether the allegations have merit. Both inmates and officers said they'd welcome cameras, according to the report.

The prison superintendent maintained that there are enough cameras already in use, "including in some yards, mess halls and the chapel, for many years."

The Correctional Association's report does commend Attica's physical conditions and educational, vocational and drug treatment programs.

Attica is often considered New York's most notorious prison because of the 1971 uprising, which stands as the nation's deadliest prison riot.

In 2000, the state settled a longstanding lawsuit by awarding $8 million to the families of slain prisoners and also to inmates who claimed they were victims of brutal reprisals after the riot. In addition, $4 million went to lawyers for the prisoners. This year the state awarded $12 million to the families of slain prison workers and to other employees who were taken hostage or injured during the uprising. Just this week, a federal judge determined how that award will be divided.

Beck contended that Attica's history still simmers at the prison.

"Ever since the riot, I think there's been a real sense (among officers) that 'we have to take care of ourselves,''' he said.

chinikfb
07-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Peace....Thank you for sharing. Blessings...

Mrs.Briggs05
08-22-2005, 10:52 PM
My husband has just been moved t Attica . I have read up on this facility but really did not find anything I didn't already now. Anyone with knowledge on Attica please help. As far as visiting , packages & dress codes

Also prison gap is getting so expensive . Any info on other bus companies going to Attica will be greatly appreciated.

Any one with info for me can email me Email removed per PTO policy

nasty_boo
08-22-2005, 11:56 PM
well all i can help you with is that i would rather take corky's company to go up to attica [i got to wyoming which is next door] the price might be pretty much the same but it is a more pleasant ride for sure!!! as far as dress code and so on i cant help you there :( hope you find more infos from our lovely ladies here ;)

Manzanita
08-23-2005, 05:42 AM
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98140
buses and vans...

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82767&highlight=attica
attica

you can start here :)

tuttles
08-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Very busy and intimidating but not so bad, once you are there. Weekdays much easier than weekends, you can not wear sleevless or see through. Parking is a nightmare, CO's depends on the day. You can take cards in with you, etc... I had chap stick and kleenex with me, no problems. No lockers, so you either trapse back to your car or toss it, if you can't take it in with you. Metal detector not too bad, don't wear underwire. Vending machine not bad prices. The idea of Attica is the difficult part.

Mrs.Briggs05
08-23-2005, 07:22 PM
I Need To Go To Attica . I Dont Have A License Yet But I Will Provide Gas & Toll Fares Both Ways .

Vlfl
08-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I am planning to go to attica for my daughter's first birthday in February so she can FINALLY meet her father. I do not have a license, am willing to contribute gas money as well as toll fares. I will most likely be staying 1-2 days, would be willing to share a hotel room

Manzanita
08-24-2005, 05:52 AM
please LOOK at dates before you post, this is a very old thread so I am closing it, please request Share Rides in this thread.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72692

terryned
08-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Mrs. Briggs, My husband is also at Attica. I go up to see him nearly every weekend. If you want info, call me. I sent you a private message with my number. My husband has just been moved t Attica . I have read up on this facility but really did not find anything I didn't already now. Anyone with knowledge on Attica please help. As far as visiting , packages & dress codes

Also prison gap is getting so expensive . Any info on other bus companies going to Attica will be greatly appreciated.

Any one with info for me can email me Email removed per PTO policy

Mrs.Briggs05
08-27-2005, 02:55 PM
My husband was in Comstock. Now he is in Attica as of Monday

Momma Ann
08-29-2005, 09:10 AM
looks like everyone is being transferred there.

Mrs.Briggs05
09-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Well there is a cheaper way to ride up to Attica now . The go up on Wensdays & Saturdays it's only $40 for adults & 20 for Children. His name is Mr. Terry Carter his # is 347 210 1527. he is very friendly and affordable.

closedaccountformerlysupernova2005
09-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Hello,
I know visiting during the weekdays are better than the weekends. What I wasnt sure about is a friend of mine told me that the big NYC buses don't go up on holidays like Labor Day. Is this true? I'm not one for crowds and I don't like the numbering visitor policy on weekends. Any additional info on visiting on Holidays would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

venicespirit
09-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Contact 45's Wifey. She visits there all the time.

09-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for replying! I will do that! :)

thatwiz
09-22-2005, 03:43 PM
the bus companys ONLY go up on weekends.

butlersbaby02
09-22-2005, 05:54 PM
My husband is an inmate at Attica. When he first got there in 2004 he told me how the staff treats the inmates. They are rude, aggresive, threatening and the poor inmates if they speak up are treated even worse. He was told during orientation that any inmate who tries to assault a guard will be taken and beaten and left for dead. Nice huh? Even the visitors are treated rudely and harassed sometimes. We are no longer together and in the process of divorcing but we remained friends and I do worry about his safety there. The horror stories are true and the state keeps sweeping it under the rug as if it doesn't exist. Maybe it'll take another riot like the last to make them see this misuse and abuse of authority in the rehabilitation of our loved ones. Sad to say it but it's true.:mad: :angry:

Manzanita
09-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Liz, I moved this here...maybe you can do a search on Attica.

what bus companies are we talking about here?

09-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I was basically looking for times to go that aren't so crowded - I would be driving up. I was looking for maybe some Federal/State Holidays that arent crowded. My friend whose at Attica said Labor Day isnt crowded because the buses arent up there. I havent been there on a weekend but I've read about visitors being handed numbers and some have to wait all day long to get in. I want to be sure that I can get right in after driving those long six hours.

Manzanita
09-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, I know you should not go up, Mothers day, fathers day, valentines day, Xmas....
your best bet is to get there SUPER early. ;)

terryned
10-20-2005, 09:40 PM
I go to Attica nearly every weekend and visit Sat. and Sun. We drive up from NYC and usually get there at about 4:00AM. We sleep in the car and wait til 7AM for them to give out the numbers. I usually get between numbers 5 and 10. I go up with a few ladies. We are all in the visiting room by about 9:00AM to 9:15AM. THe trick is to get the car in line early. People usually start arriving to get on line at about 6:00AM.