View Full Version : Riker's Island Information

Pages : [1] 2

Durantschick
06-07-2003, 02:55 PM
i wish i wasnt going through all of this. i hate visiting prisons. so tell me, is there anyone else here with a loved one at rikers. if yes, please lets talk. if not. please lets talk lol. rikers island in the house.

Mimi
06-07-2003, 03:43 PM
My step son is at Riker's. I live about 6 hours away from the city so I do not visit and never have. I wait until he end's up in the State system. I have never heard great, wonderful, or even nice things about Riker's. I am around let's talk!

Ivory
06-07-2003, 05:09 PM
I don't have anyone in Riker's right now, but it is practically in my back yard. It's not a great place to be!

bella
06-07-2003, 07:21 PM
c-73 (GMDC), c-76
been there many times to visit and although I haven't been there in a year I can understand you're frustration...let it out!!!

Durantschick
06-08-2003, 11:20 AM
well mine is in c-74 ARDC. no it's not easy at all. actually he's up in 4main and he said things are really crazy right now. he's so stressed out, he doesnt even write anymore, this from a man that used to write me everyday for two months. he's only been there for three months. but is no stranger to the prison system.
and to mimi yes girl let us talk.

lisac117
06-09-2003, 08:12 AM
I have been to every section imaginable in Rikers with my son's father. 95, 73, 74....I also did a 6 month bid at the Rose M. Singer Center, so I've been on both ends of the stick. I HATE Rikers Island! It's a pain going out there, it takes FOREVER to get in and DON"T GET CAUGHT IN THE COUNT! OH GOD! Then you'll REALLY be waiting. Ever been on the school bus and get delayed EVEN MORE when they wanna bring the dogs on for a drug search? Oh GOD that place SUCKS!!! It's probably one of the most STRESSFUL places to be in a jail. It's like you're on home terrority, but you know you're probably on your way upstate. Anyone I know who's been there can't wait to go up and get it over with. They said they feel like at least once you get upstate, you can "officially" start your countdown to coming home. Going there will stress you out almost as much as him! I'm here if you wanna talk. I'm in the Bronx. My # is 646-271-6727. (I got rid of my home phone) Take care.

dagodmother
06-10-2003, 11:53 AM
I HAVE HAD FAMILY ON RIKER'S BUT NOT NOW. UNFORTUNETLY I SPENT ALOT OF TIME ON THE ISLAND VISITING FROM 1981-PRESENT SO I'M HERE IF YOU NEED ANY INFO.

yanigirl
06-10-2003, 12:50 PM
My son's father was on the Island before he went upstate and I have heard that it's the worse place to be locked up at. I was so worried when he was in tbere. The visits sucked and it took me forever to get out there frommy borough. They put you through so much crap jus to get in. You'll have to deal with long lines waiting and more waiting. I use to feellike my whole day was wasted when I visited there. I hope your loved one is out of there soon.

Durantschick
06-10-2003, 05:32 PM
i hear all of you on your comments because thats what i have to deal with right now. lisa, i know all about the count, omg, that is ridiculous, and please dont even talk about the dog/drug search. see i only been up there like six times and already been through that stupid detour. and i was on the first bus over when it was a 2-7 visit and i didnt even get to registration until 3. the wait is crazy. i mean you have to go through like three detectors, wats up with that. and lets not even talk about if they dont have locks, and you have to wait till someone's visit is over. and i hear you yanigirl because there are times when i feel like i spent my whole day there. and if you have an appointment and are in a rush, i suggest you dont even bother to go. my baby gotta do two years and its only been three months. i only been there a few times and it already feels like a dreaded routine.

also lisa i just might take you up on that call.

SHARI

bella
06-10-2003, 07:33 PM
From my experience 2-7 visits were mich worse than during the day. And weekend even worse than that. Of course that's because most people work and such and have to visit at those times. If you have a car and can park on the other side of the bridge it reduces a ton of stress. But I took the train and bus many times from Brooklyn. It was definately a whole day trip. Just take a deep breath, you'll make it through this!

dagodmother
06-13-2003, 09:34 AM
I JUST FOUND OUT ONE OF MY FRIEND'S JUST GOT MOVED THERE HE IS IN C-74 THE WORST BUILDING ON THE ISLAND.

Durantschick
06-13-2003, 04:59 PM
yeah like i said my baby is there to, wat house is he in lori. and bella wat u said is so true, having a car does make it easier, but sometimes the parking kills it, but it's still betta. i just came back from seeing my baby today and wow is all i can say. it was a 7-2, i'm sorry people i meant 7-2 not 2-7, there are also 1-8's. anyway i got there late had to wait like a lil over a half hour for the bus to ARDC, another 10 at registration and how can i forget the 40 min. for him to come up. wow! but i had a lot of fun with him, i'm so happy right now.

dismas
06-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi to all! I'm a newbie to this site, so please go easy on me...

I may be offered a position to teach @ Rikers soon- it would be teaching the
teenagers and aimed at prepping them to take their GED...

I'd really appreciate any comments, opinions or advice from any of you.

I know DOC hassles the BOE people at Rikers (but DOC is under court order
to cooperate with BOE to shape up the education offerings on the Island).

My thinking is to take the job because I think Riker's is where I would be
needed most as a teacher. Some folks I know who've been inmates there
say going to classes was a joke to look good at sentencing; others say it
was the only good thing about their time on the Island. Some folks I know
who have taught on the Island say they were babysitting and others say
it was the best place to teach because the kids were 1,000% motivated to
learn...

Any opinions on education on the Island and what's really needed there would
really be appreciated.

Thanks

Dismas

Ivory
06-14-2003, 07:49 PM
I hope you can make a difference....while I'm sure some will think it is a joke....others will take it seriously - and that is where you have a chance to really change the future for some teens. One of my neighbors attended a program at Rikers where he actually LEARNED to READ! That was his turning point!

dismas
06-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks very much for your response. Hearing about your neighbor's story
is exactly the kind of anecdote that makes a teacher forget all the uninterested
kids and apathetic or hostile administration. I think the point is to teach hard
to the kids in the group who are interested and try to motivate them to get out of
the corrections system by using their minds...

I'm hanging in for teaching on the Island and have turned down 2 teaching
offers elsewhere.

I'd greatly appreciate input from others regarding education on the Island:
what's bad about it, what's good about it, etc.

Best regards

Dismas

anki51303
06-16-2003, 12:02 PM
My ex-fiance is on Riker's... he's been there since 5/13/03. He will be there for another 4 months... He's at EMTC. anyone know anyone in the same facility?

dagodmother
06-16-2003, 12:25 PM
SHARI, I DIDNT GET THAT INFO YET BUT WHEN I DO I'LL LET YOU KNOW. WHERE ARE YOU FROM? MAYBE WE CAN GO TOGETHER ONE DAY. LET ME KNOW

Durantschick
06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
anki, hang in there girl. and lori, i'd like it if you did send that info. well nice talking to all of you. bye.

jigsaw
07-29-2003, 12:52 PM
i want to visit a friend this weekend at rikers but i don't know the first thing. i've been looking around on this site today and found some helpful hints about visitation in general.

can anyone direct me to more information? schedules? transportation? what to expect? how many people can visit at a time? i really don't know the first thing. thanks in advance for your help.

Meisha
07-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Hey I've been to Rikers many of times to visit. You need a valid ID and try not to bring so much stuff with you. You have to go through machaines it's a pain Remember his ID # and bring a pen OH and no smoking they banded it from rikers. When you get to the visit don't wear any jewelry at all. you can take the 7 train to Queensboro plaza and there is a bus just ask I don't remember he's been in the states for a while now

jigsaw
07-29-2003, 02:09 PM
thanks for your help. i really appreciate it. do you know if more than one person can visit at a time?

jigsaw
07-29-2003, 02:42 PM
any others out there also looking for info, i just came across this link: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doc/html/visit.html

Lysbeth
07-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Hi jigsaw,

Since you had some specific visitation questions for Rikers, I have moved this thread to the New York forum on PTO so your post will have the opportunity to get more specific responses and the best answers to your questions... Iíve found they often get more and better answers there, AND the information will be here to help others in the future, too. :)

You also might want to thumb thru the New York forum to see if some of your questions have already been answered in the past... the direct link to the forum is here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=159

Hope you find the info you're looking for and good luck! :)

Lys

Meisha
07-30-2003, 08:24 AM
I saw 2 inmates on a visit with one person before but you should call to be on the safe side

marisol1477
07-31-2003, 10:38 PM
if u come from the bronx theres a van service called j and j thats at 149 and third ave right in front of the VIM.

jericho
08-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Does anyone have the address and number to Riker's Island C-73 because I just found out my best friend is locked up in there?

jericho
08-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Its really important

roc city girl
08-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Hey Jericho, if you go to the DOcs website and put in your friends 1st and last name it should give you the din number and theres also a link in the Docs website with the addresses of all NYS prisons. Good luck

jinx
08-08-2003, 02:32 PM
brother NOW has problems with commisary money. real fu***n a-holes running this prison. he was told he must have a relative call to straighten out matter. he even showed them the receipt i gave him after money was put in. they said to have a relative call....bottom line. C-95 is some shithouse with shithole CO's running it.

Susan123
09-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I'am really new to this, I actually accidentally found this page. My boyfriend is getting locked up on Thursday, he's being sent to Rikers Island. I'm curious about how it is there, the visitations, directions and all. If anyone can help me answer these questions I'd really appreciate it.

Susan

westybosm
09-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Go to this website. Its all you need to know about rikers island.

http://www.prisonhelp.bigstep.com/rikers.html
http://www.prisonhelp.bigstep.com/travel_info.html

Have a valid ID. If you have a school ID, you need a school program card as well. If you are bringing kids you need an orignial birth certificate. Don't bring any cell phones, beepers or any other electronics. They make you throw it out or you have to leave.

lisac117
09-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Sorry to sound so discouraging all you Riker Newbies but....get ready for the ride of your life!!!! I HATE going to Rikers to visit!!!! Make sure you get there E-A-R-L-Y!!!!!!! Make sure you've made your calls, you've read stuff online, so you're not "blind" when you go there. BUT GET THERE EARLY!!!!!! If you get caught in the count, you can fahgedaboudit!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

slimjm
09-18-2003, 10:19 AM
hi...i'm a writer who is working on a novel in which i have a character going on a visit to riker's island. i have never been and can't go check it out for myself w/out an inmate to visit (duh). so can anybody walk me thru it? :confused: pweeezzz???

Phil in Paris
09-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi Slimjm

Welcome to the PTO family :)

You can check this link, it might help you.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21127&highlight=riker

Good luck. :)
Phil

slimjm
09-18-2003, 10:51 AM
...that's *kind of* helpful, but what i really need is someone to walk me thru what happens from the time you get off the bus to the time you leave. what steps do you go thru? how long does it take? what do the facilities look like?

can anyone step up to this challenge??? we could talk over instant messenger.

Phil in Paris
09-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Slimjm

In the link I sent you, you have the usernames of the PTO members who have a loved one in or went to Ricker.

I think you should PM them, and ask them. That's one of the reasons why I sent you this link. :)

Phil

slimjm
09-18-2003, 11:02 AM
...i just did that. but i wanted to keep as many options open as possible--someone else might read this thread and want to help.

thanks again!

Lysbeth
09-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi slimjm,

Since you had some specific visitation questions for Riker's Island, I have moved this thread to the New York forum on PTO so your post will have the opportunity to get more specific responses and the best answers to your questions, and wonít get lost in the busy Visitation forum... Iíve found they often get more and better answers there, AND the information will be here to help others in the future, too. :)

You also might want to thumb thru the New York forum to see if some of your questions have already been answered in the past... the direct link to the forum is here:

Lys

underpants
09-18-2003, 08:43 PM
hi there,
i have a book called INSIDE RIKERS by Jennifer Wynn.... she was a couselor inside rikers and it gives some pretty detailed descriptions to what goes on in there.
hope that helps.

outshineswisdom
09-18-2003, 09:11 PM
What exactly do you want to know? I've had to go there on two seperate occassions to visit my husband. The first time for 4 months and this last time for a yr. and now he's upstate.
We even got married there. If you want to ask me some questions you can e-mail me (e-mail address removed per PTO policy - member may be contacted via Private Messaging on PTO)...

slimjm
09-18-2003, 11:34 PM
...outshineswisdom--check your inbox. your e-mail was deleted from the post, so i sent you a PM instead.

cypher1219
10-07-2003, 06:51 PM
The love of my life is detained there waiting for his court date and I really want to go visit but am just worried. I don't even know where to start. Do i need to make an appointment are there certain hours? I can stand a long wait but am i nervous for no reason?

Durantschick
10-07-2003, 11:04 PM
well cypher nah u dont need to make an appointment, that is of course unless he has other people visiting him cause u dont wanna get turned away cause he already had a visit for the day, there is only one visit per day, and there are a-l, m-z, and a-z days, so u gotta check with him to see when his days are, but every friday is a-z so u could just go, and get a calendar when ur there. all u need is his number (book case #), ur picture id and ur set to go, also get his house, for eg 4 main, 10 upper, ask him. and thats all u gonna need girl. the days are: thurs. n wed. = 1-8pm
fri, sat, sun. = 7-2pm
no visit mon. n tues.

also to find out his schedule u could try typin "how to visit an inmate" in your search or keyword box, then click on the same title, is should have the schedules for the rest of this year on that site http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doc/html/visit.html

dont be nervous, wish u luck, much love, peace

brendy
10-08-2003, 06:58 PM
hello everyone im just here to introduce my self. i have my husband at rikers island he has been there for 8 months and is soon to be sentances cause he gonna take a plea.im just looking to get info to get through this a little easier. we are suppose to be getting married in there but i dont know exactly the process my husband put the paper work in but i still dont know what i have to do. any one ever got married in there please write back. oh by the way my husband is in

obcc 5u

thanx for listening

brenda
queens

nyluv83
11-10-2003, 12:35 PM
I HAVE MAN LOCKED UP IN RIKERS ISLAND NIC... I WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN I GET THERE FROM HERE IN RI AND I WANT TO KNWO IF HE CAN COME HOME WHEN I GIVE BIRTH AND SIGN HTE CERTIFICATE. I ALSO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO VIEW HIS INFO ONLINE. ALSO I HEAR STORIES THAT AT RIKERS YOU HAVE TO STRIP AND STUFF LIKE THAT HELP ME KNOW WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT

Lysbeth
11-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi Mrs. Cherry,

Since you had some specific visitation questions for Riker's, I have moved this thread to the New York forum on PTO so your post will have the opportunity to get more specific responses and the best answers to your questions, and wonít get lost in the busy Visitation forum... Iíve found they often get more and better answers there, AND the information will be here to help others in the future, too. :)

Lys

dat_bia
11-11-2003, 10:13 AM
I'm new and need help regarding rikers island. I've been looking for a number to call the jail but i can't find a number anywhere and the one i got doesn't work. Does anybody have a number for rikers island so i can call and find out where he is?? Thanks

Summertime
11-11-2003, 10:39 AM
I know about Rikers Island, my boyfrien was there a few months. The number you should call is 718 546 0700
Do you have his book and case number?

dat_bia
11-11-2003, 10:42 AM
no i have no idea what it is how do i find that out?

dat_bia
11-11-2003, 10:58 AM
oh i got it..lol THANKS sooooooooo much

Summertime
11-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Your going to have to get to ny first.and take public transportation or a private van from the city
He can not come out when you have the baby, you have to bring the papers to him, for more info PM me or call
718 546-0700

Summertime

Summertime
11-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Anytime!

dat_bia
11-11-2003, 05:00 PM
I got one more question can the inmates buy stamps in prison? and also if he's in there now and has court tomorrow is he gonna go back to the same jail on rikers he was in before??

mamota35
11-11-2003, 07:49 PM
If he gets sentenced tomorrow they will transfer him one or 2 days after that to another building (at least that's what they did with my b/f). If he still has other court dates he should be staying where he is.

mamota35
11-11-2003, 07:50 PM
About the stamps., I know my b/f sends me mail, I guess he buys the stamps with the money in his commisary.

dat_bia
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks a lot i was gonna send him something tomorrow but i'll wait until after his court is over and find out where they sent him.

westybosm
11-12-2003, 07:38 AM
When you leave him commissary, you can leave him socks, underwear, tshirts, tank tops, envelopes, stamps, writing pads, books to read and sneakers. Call the house that he is in and ask them what can he receive. Each house is different on the island.

dat_bia
11-12-2003, 07:43 AM
oh okay thanks! I will do that.

lisac117
11-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Here's some numbers that might be helpful. If not now, maybe one day...

For NEW YORK CITY ONLY

Arraignment info: 718-590-2886/2887

Arrest Info: 718-681-0406

Central Booking: 718-590-2817/2819

Lisa

lisac117
11-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Sorry, but I had a good chuckle when I read "can he come home and sign the birth certificate". I went through the same thing 8 years ago. My kids father was in Rikers when I gave birth to my oldest son, Khalil. Assuming you're not married, you'll have to get a form from the hospital to bring to him. It's a paternity acknowlegement form. He'll have to sign it and have it notarized in there. Just a word of advice...Rikers is not really a great place for newborns. BUT..I understand, as I said, I was in your shoes my damn self. Now, unless they changed it, F.Y.I. the baby does NOT need any set amount of shots to get in. My son was 2 weeks old when he met his daddy for the first time and it was in Rikers. I remember they were real assholes about bottles and diapers. But, every house is different. Some are better than others. You'll have to call ahead and speak with the captain. And be sure and ask what sort of Id do you need for the baby, cuz you will have to wait a minute for the b.c. Hope that helps and good luck to you.
God bless,
Lisa

dat_bia
11-13-2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks a lot! It means a lot that y'all helped without y'all i would of neva found out where he was or how to contact him. THANKS SO MUCH

nyluv83
11-13-2003, 08:57 AM
well i am from ny but i am in college in rhode island. i know how ot get to the city but i dont know to much about too much about queens (only been to jamaica) can someone help direct me. i am leaving from harlem how i get there taking a subway

westybosm
11-13-2003, 09:48 AM
DIRECTIONS TO RIKERS ISLAND
SUBWAY:
TAKE THE IND TRAIN (E,F,GG OR EE) TO QUEENS PLAZA STATION, THE BMT SUBWAY(RR) TO QUEENSBORO PLZ, OR THE IRT SUBWAY #7 TO THE QUEENSBORO PLZ.
TRANSFER TO THE STEINWAY TRANSIT CORP BUS MARKED q101, LOCATED ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE PLZ BET 27 & 28 ST.

Summertime
11-13-2003, 09:49 AM
This is what your going to do ( does he have a visit today?)
Take the E train to Queens Plaza (3rd cart from the front)
Go up the stairs and follow the sign in the token booth that says Q101 to rikers Island
Go out the train station,walk to corner and you'll see the corner store and other people waiting for the bus, the bus takes you across the bridge,just follow the crowd to the line,

If you need anymore directions PM me

Summertime

outshineswisdom
11-14-2003, 03:59 PM
The best thing to do is wait till you visit him to bring him regular clothes because each house has a list of colors not permited and how many of each item you can leave. You can give him 10 stamps each visit or even mail them in a letter or when he goes to com. he can buy the envelopes with the stamp inprinted on it. If you have anymore questions let me know, I've been dealing with the Island for too long now. Hope the info helps.
...KD...

outshineswisdom
11-14-2003, 04:19 PM
My husband was in NIC for med treatment and you don't have to strip. All they make you do is take your sneakers off and shake them out, pull your socks half way off so they can see the soles of your feet, open your mouth, shake your hair, and lift and shake your bra, and check your pants pockets this way they see your not trying to bring something in to him. Unfortunetly he won't be coming home for the birth of your child, I had to deal with that 6 yrs ago. It's hard but your get over it. Just make sure you bring the paper for him to sign, explain your situation to the nurse at the hospital and they'll give you a paper. Good Luck..
...KD...

yanigirl
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
You can also take the NR or 7 train to Queens plaza tehn catch the Q101 bus. I'm so glad I'm done with Rikers it was alot of work for that hour visit but enjoy all the same.

dat_bia
11-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Oh okay thanks. The only problem is i'm in Canada right now on my own charges so i can't even visit him, unless they let me leave to come back home, so everything i'm gonna have to mail to him. On the list it says pencils and paper.. I can mail him pencils?

cherylc
11-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know what kind of gym shoes can be sent to rikers? He wanted basketball shoes specifically Nike). Can he receive those or is there a specific kind that he can get?

dat_bia
11-15-2003, 06:36 AM
As long as they don't have air chambers in them you can send them, but they specifically told me no nike, jordans or la gear and any shoe with air chambers. Maybe it depends on which house he is in. Mine is in C 76 so thats all I really know about.

usopwilly
11-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by westybosm
DIRECTIONS TO RIKERS ISLAND
SUBWAY:
TAKE THE IND TRAIN (E,F,GG OR EE) TO QUEENS PLAZA STATION, THE BMT SUBWAY(RR) TO QUEENSBORO PLZ, OR THE IRT SUBWAY #7 TO THE QUEENSBORO PLZ.
TRANSFER TO THE STEINWAY TRANSIT CORP BUS MARKED q101, LOCATED ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE PLZ BET 27 & 28 ST.

Hi, I live in Brooklyn, close to Queens.
FYI.. there is no longer a GG, RR or EE train. To get to Queens Plaza, you take the E, G, R or V to Queens Plaza Station;
N, W or 7 to Queensboro Plaza Station or F train to Queensbridge Station. The NYC subway system changed. A lot of routes are shorter and there are new lines like the V & W. As for the bus transfers, I'm not sure cause I don't really take them but if you call 718 330 1234, they give you info.

mamota35
11-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Mine is in C73 and he cannot get those either. I got him white plain reebok. They accepted them.

outshineswisdom
11-16-2003, 06:37 AM
You can send him paper as for the pencils they hadve to be soft and with no eraser, its better if he buys a pen in comis. and the sneakers its better if you get like new balance, adidas, kswiss, reebok, anything thats plain, with no bubble or chambers.
...KD...

shooting star
11-17-2003, 07:26 AM
He has to buy the stamps from commisary. You could send envelops with the stamps imprinted on it. Be careful of what you send clothing wise because if he is sentenced and he's send upstate he would not be permitted to bring those clothing articles with him.

shooting star
11-17-2003, 07:28 AM
No Nike airs at all. No new balance at all. No sneakers with air chambers like Reebok Iversons.

cherylc
11-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks so much for your help everyone! The only problem is that I already sent him Nikes... Do you think they will send them back to me? Or will they keep them?

MANNYZPRINCESS
11-20-2003, 08:40 PM
hello everyone my husband is currently jailed in rikers island, he was in obcc as of today then now got him in c 73. what i would like to know is what is the reason for them changing him when he has no behavior problems? also if anyone might know what is the reputation of c73 im just worried i dont want my husband in any trouble. any info will be helpful.

thank you

brenda

outshineswisdom
11-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Has he been sentenced yet or is he just in for alittle time? It might be because of house switches. When my husband was in there he was moved 6 times that year. It's not because of his behavior, they probably wanted him in a different house the OBCC. Mine was in 73 and it's not that bad. Of course there will be fights like in any other house but that one is pretty cool.

...KD...

Summertime
11-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Theres no telling why they moved him,unless he was going to a different facility but then they would probably move him to ardc-c74 or if he is back and forth to court he would probably be moved to grvc c95, the system is crazy as soon as they think, we know the systems and the rules they change them.
He'll be ok.

Summertime

westybosm
11-21-2003, 11:34 AM
when they are sentenced they move them to the 4 building or 3 building to go upstate. So that may be the case cause he is in the 3 building.

MANNYZPRINCESS
11-22-2003, 10:46 PM
hello everyone first of all i would like to say thanx for the response. as for my husbands status he is not sentenced yet he will be starting trial on jan 12 so lets see what happens please everyone i ask of you to give a little prayer for my husband manuel that he wins this trial hes a good guy and shouldnt be in there. thanx for your time and the info.

brenda

cherylc
11-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone! Everyone has been so helpful on here with all my questions. To my understanding, on the day the inmate is released from Rikers, they drop off the inmates at Queens Plaza with enough money from a train ride? Where is Queens Plaza at? What time do they get dropped off? Can they be picked up? Thanks everyone!

mamota35
11-26-2003, 09:18 PM
Cherylc

Queens PLacaz is in the borough of Queens. It is on the MTA line. The E train takes you to Manhattan (2 or 3 stops) from Queens Plaza. I don't have answers to the other questions. But I can say one thing, you don;t go very far with only $2 (that's the cost of a train ride) in NYC!!!!!!! He will definitely need to be picked up or helped in any way. Happy Thanksgiving.
Mamota.

cherylc
11-27-2003, 03:22 PM
thanks so much!

HisOnlyDyme
12-01-2003, 04:10 PM
hey mami,
you can also get to queens plaza with the "F" or "V" train as well.
If you need anymore help with the subway line etc... i know them as well as i know my name.:)

cherylc
12-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Do you think there will be cabs available at that time (5am)? Or is there anywhere around there that I can meet him and take a cab back or train back? Someone told me that the trains there are extremely confusing... What should I do?

mamota35
12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
I think you would have to find a cab company in Queens and call them. I don't live in Queens but maybe someone who does might give you some phone nbers.

mamota35
12-02-2003, 07:45 PM
One more thing. The trains are not confusing the map is pretty self explanatory and they are running 24 hours. Just go to the MTA website if you want a subway map.

HisOnlyDyme
12-13-2003, 11:53 AM
i plan on visiting my man next sunday... but i wanted to know, are you allowed to hug or kiss...? maybe this sounds like a silly question... but i haven't a clue, and i don't wanna be leaning in for a hug and end up getting him and myself in trouble...

he's in GMDC in Riker's

also, does anyone know about how the mail goes there? like how long it takes for a letter to reach them and if they screen letters. also, how long does it take for letters to reach me...? is it just the normal 2 days in the post?

thanks.

:fb:

truestory
12-13-2003, 08:06 PM
I don't know about the particular jail GMDC but at CIFM and OBCC you sit face to face accross a table, and you're not allowed to touch. However, they don't seem to be too tough about this, and when the visit is over everybody kisses. So far the mail has been pretty good - the normal. But yes, they do screen it. Good luck on your first visit - I know you'll be so glad to see each other. I'm visiting tomorrow too.

MANNYZPRINCESS
12-13-2003, 09:13 PM
hello my husband is in gmdc and the tables there look similar to the school lunch tables but higher and yes you are allowed to hug and kiss them to a limit as far as the mail goes they recieve their mail regularlly 2 to 3 days later yes they do screen them and probably read them so yes it sucks but i guess we gotta deal with it =/ any way if you would like to talk more about anything feel free to pm me im here to help any way i can good luck

HisOnlyDyme
12-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Thank you!! :)

Rollargrl2
01-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Brenda,

I just read you question and since I used to work there, I can explain why they transferred him to C-73 or GMDC. C-73 is for Detainees (guys who haven't been sentenced yet). They also transfer them there if they are in the process of getting transfered UPSTATE after they have been sentenced.

Keep your head up and my prayers are with you.

Janet

Italian Donnn
01-12-2004, 05:32 PM
RIKERS IS EASY TIME. JUST BORING. NOT TOO LONG NOT TOO SHORT..... BE HONEST WITH YOU, THE WORST PART OF HAVIN SOMEONE LOCKED IN RIKERS IS HAVING THEIR FAM AND FREINDS VISIT CUZ THE COs GOT A HARD ONE FOR EVERYONE. . I BEEN THERE THROUGHOUT THE EARLY - MID 90s IN BOTH THE ADOLESCENT WARD (AT THAT TIME C-74 WAS KNOWN AS VIETNAM FOR REAL - BLACK KIDS CUTTIN SPANISH KIDS AND US ITALIANS RUNNIN PHONES AND ALL YOUR BOOKS HAHA) AND HDM, ETC. IN MY LATER YEARS.

truestory
01-12-2004, 06:04 PM
There is a pretty good/interesting article on the Island in the current (January 04, issue 16) issue of DonDiva magazine, tho I don't think all of the info is accurate. U might want to peep it.

bella
01-12-2004, 09:02 PM
OK, My guy was in GMDC about a year ago and the visits were fine. We were able to kiss and hug the whole time. If things got to hot and heavy the CO's intervene and stop people but in general they are pretty laid back.

Italian Donn...WELCOME to PTO!!! Glad you found us!

Italian Donnn
01-16-2004, 12:00 PM
thank you. i have been reading this for some time but i officially joined once i felt that my words could either help or "wake" people up.
prison is not suppossed to be a fun place. this goes to the lady who is sad that her man is locked up and she said he is devastated and depressed.
your man did something to get into prison now instead of bitching and moaning about it its time to pay back your debt to society (so they say). do your time, come home, and dont make the same mistake - either be wiser or calmer.

bella
01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Italian Donnn,
You are right, Prison is not supposed to be a fun place but part of being in prison should be reflection of your behaviors while you were out and what lead you to your incarceration. From what I understand you were on the 'inside'. That would make me believe that you understand that depression and devistation is part of the reflection process.
PTO is a place for support for those with loved ones on the inside. Many of the mebers here are very new to this process and are looking for a way to help their loved ones reflect. I appreciate you joining our family and feel you could be a great assest with your inside knowledge. Please just keep in mind that the emotions this memeber spoke of were not necessarily "bitching and moaning" but typical emotions of one who is locked up.

DinkzGirl
01-18-2004, 10:18 PM
:) To whom this may concern, CIFM is now EMTC. Truestory, thanks for the visiting information regarding the touching, and kissing. Does anyone know the dresscode?

bella
01-18-2004, 10:52 PM
One shirt, that includes a sweatshirt so no tee underneath it or anything layered. No sneakers with air pumps or steel toes boots. One ring and I think that's it for the jewlery but I don't remeber for sure. Besides that they are cool about things if it's not to flashy.

BOsPiece
01-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Visitors can wear pretty much what they want longs their clothes aren't sheer. Visitors can wear no bandana scarves, hats or head coverings (I'm not sure what they do with the islam women and their head wraps but if it's not a religious covering -- it stays in the locker). Like Bella said, only one layer of clothing, which is hard during the winter b/c some of us like to dress in layers. You can wear what you want on your feet, but the inmates can't have ANY nikes or ANY new balance sneakers period. Shower shoes for them must have the thing between the toe otherwise he can't have it. clothes don't have to be new, but when he moves on to prison (NYS) all clothing must be new.

BIGBEAUTYNYC
02-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Does Anyone Know Who The Service Carrier Is For Rikers Island??? Mci Claims That Its Not Them. And I Called Rikers To Ask Them But The Women Was So Nasty And Rude, She Said She Didnt Care Who The Carrier Was.

caprione
02-06-2004, 05:45 PM
I have no idea. If it is in New York, it should be MCI , they have the state contract. Did you talk to the 'right' MCI custmer reps? Meaningthose that deal with state facilities...
Someone should be along with the info you need soon.
Sorry I can't help more,
Carpione

j2sq
02-06-2004, 09:54 PM
i don't know but we have mci.......welcome :WAVE: with those kind of people--kill 'em with kindness girl! LOL! :D

Judy45
02-07-2004, 12:28 AM
My man was returned to NY from Florida for parole violation...He was at Riker's long enough to make 4 calls to me...The recording indicated the calls were put thru by MCI. I even checked the rates for an MCI call from Riker's to Fl ......and was told 7 or 8 dollars....ok now here is the kicker...when I got the bill the calls were billed on my Sprint bill as Sprint calls @20.00 per call??? I called Sprint the calls were adjusted (removed from the bill) at first the rep was snotty with me and after checking he explained they should have been billed at the MCI rate, so we got a freebie...to answer your question it was MCI however keep in mind I am in Fl tho' I don't think that should make a difference......Judy

caprione
02-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Beauty
here is an inamte customer service number for MCI, in case you didn't have it. I think there ARE otehrs but I have spoken with reps at this number who MAY know the ithe answer for you. Nothing is for sure!! ha

800 231 0193

Monique281
02-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Rikers isn't a state correctional facility is it so therefore it may not be MCI because my husband was in our local county jail and AT&t handled those calls. So it might not be mci.

thatwiz
02-13-2004, 11:31 AM
calls from Rikers aren't collect. the inmate has to pay for his phone calls.I think you get one free per day, otherwise you need money in your account in order to make calls. So if someone is calling long distance collect-it's billed by which company they dialed or who handles the pay phone.

Gabes1NubianKay
02-19-2004, 01:25 PM
the carrier for riker's shows up as sprint on my phone bill. For collect calls it should be them in rikers. further up north it is mci. please go to http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/petition-sign.cgi?stop_mci - so that we can stop mci from the ridiculous charges. they also dont allow call fowarding or three way calls but want to charge an arm and a leg for calls

dee4245
02-19-2004, 04:23 PM
i got bills from sprint when my man was in obcc, but he is in gmdc now and he can't call collect. they said it is cause i have at&t for my home service and since the calls aren't through them i can't receive them...

mannyzprincess1
03-14-2004, 08:29 PM
hi everyone, my husband is going to court on the 26 for sentencing, how long after that do they send him upstate? where would they send him first first?

brenda

Hanksmom
03-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I know in nassau county it can take anywhee from 4-6 weeks. Or whenever they feel like it. Paula

starzzmom
03-15-2004, 08:58 PM
More or less whenever they feel like it! It was close to 2 months when they finally transfered my husband. First he'll go to a reception facility, either Downstate or (I forgot the other one), and then from there, they'll move him to his "final destination", whenever they have the room for him. But he'll only go if his sentence is more than 1 year. ANything less, they'll just keep him on Rikers.

mrsbl
03-16-2004, 11:09 AM
More or less whenever they feel like it! It was close to 2 months when they finally transfered my husband. First he'll go to a reception facility, either Downstate or (I forgot the other one), and then from there, they'll move him to his "final destination", whenever they have the room for him. But he'll only go if his sentence is more than 1 year. ANything less, they'll just keep him on Rikers.

my fiance was at rikers for 2 mos and then they moved him to downstate for 1 month...and moved him to franklin knowing he only had 3 mos to go before he was scheduled to be released......so even if it is less than 1 year they can still move you......just keep calling before you go up there and even that is no guarantee...........

mamota35
03-20-2004, 09:09 AM
My fiance was there 2 weeks after sentencing and then they transfered him to Downstate for another 10 days, and then he was transfered to Collins.

lisac117
03-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Basically, it's when they get the go ahead from Albany. They have to have space and then he goes to a reception facility (usually for no more than 2 weeks) then off he goes to his new home.
Lisa

Italian Donnn
03-22-2004, 02:13 PM
i hate jail as i am sure everyone here does.......

bella
06-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Rikers Island warden cleared in theft of Dali sketch

June 5, 2004, 4:10 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ A former Rikers Island assistant deputy warden has been acquitted of charges that he masterminded the theft of a $250,000 Salvador Dali sketch from the prison.

A jury acquitted Benny Nuzzo, 51, on Friday after a monthlong trial in State Supreme Court in the Bronx. Nuzzo had denied any role in the theft of the sketch, which was reported missing on March 1, 2003 when someone noticed that the original had been replaced by a copy. Three other men were charged in the theft, correction officers Timothy Pina and Greg Sokol and former assistant deputy warden Mitchell Hochhauser.

Hochhauser pleaded guilty in September to one count of attempted grand larceny and was sentenced to one to three years in prison.

Sokol, who cooperated with prosecutors, testified against Nuzzo at trial. Sokol and Pina still face charges in the case.

Dali created the ink and pencil sketch, which depicts the crucifixion of Jesus, after he called in sick to a planned visit to the prison in 1965.

The sketch has not been seen since it was reported missing, and Hochhauser has claimed that Nuzzo destroyed it.

Nuzzo, who was fired after his arrest, plans to try to get his job back, his lawyer said.

AdRiAnSgirl
06-09-2004, 08:44 PM
This post is just a tad late but I just saw a commercial that on Court TV @ 11pm there will be a special on Rikers Island, focusing on the horrible things that go on there, the prisoner violence... all from the COs point of view. So it wont be about how the COs are corrupt but still will give any of you ladies who had a loved on there some insight into what its liek behind the Rikers walls!

RBLSinLuv
06-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah I caught the documentary, pretty scary! Its a re-run, I saw it a while back..

nasty_boo
08-14-2004, 03:24 PM
my bets friend asked me to help him to locate his friend (which turned himself in) on ryker's island!!! i did try to look him up on the DOC NY search thingi but didnt have too much success ... i even looked up all the ppl on it and didnt see even on person located on ryker's island!!! does anybody know how i can find this guy??? it would help my best friend alot since him and this guy are pretty close friends ... if you have any idea how i can go about it plz help me out!!!

thank you all so much :D

Mrs. JV
08-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I can't remember exactly, but there is phone number you can call and if you have his name and birthdate you can find out if he is in city jail. It's an automated phone system. I have done it before but it was many years ago and I can't remember specifics. I know also that there is a way to find out (also through an automated phone call) through VINE or victims information services (or something like that). Just do a search on the web for those terms and you'll find it eventually. Or you can call Rikers main # directly and ask someone... I don't know that # off-hand either, but I'm sure you can find it easily enough on the web.....Good Luck!

nasty_boo
08-14-2004, 06:18 PM
thank you so much and i just remembered that i use to talk to this CO that worked at ryker's island i will did email him ... lets see if he still works there since its been quiet a while ...hehehehhe!!! but if that doesnt work out i will try to do what u said to do so i can find my best friends buddy and they can keep in touch since both of em are in the same boat i guess :eek:

THANK YOU SO MUCH ONCE AGAIN!!! :thumbsup:

mamota35
08-14-2004, 09:26 PM
here's the number 718 546-0700

Mrs. JV
08-15-2004, 07:33 PM
The # for VINE, where you can locate an inmate in NYC jail is: 888-846-3469

MelsWife4Life
09-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Rikers Island 718 546 0700 Try this It is an automated system and all you need is his name:thumbsup:

SadGirlBX
10-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Is anyone's loved one in rikers?

RavensGirl
10-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Wow, I didn't even realize that was still open...Ohhh can't help you, hope someone can.. Good luck..

XOJAE'SBABYXO
10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
My hubby's best friend just violated his parole and he is at Riker's right now waiting to see what they are going to do with him. I want to go and visit him but I have never been to Riker's - only state facilities. Do you need info on Riker's? I have a phone number and a website if you do.

SadGirlBX
10-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Thank You! No, I know that place inside out

Manzanita
10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
if you have info, PLEASE POST IT....THIS INFORMATION HELPS US ALL!!!

Thanks1 ;)

XOJAE'SBABYXO
10-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Yes - I agree. Please can you post any info about Riker's. I have never visited there and I want to go see my friend. I heard he has to put me on a list or something - so I can't just surprise him with a visit?? Any tips would be great. I know the visit is only an hour long so I was just going to visit him on the way to my next visit to my husband. Does the processing take forever - because I wanted to go and see him in the morning and then fly out by the late afternoon in order to go see my husband in Upstate. THANKS!!!

SadGirlBX
10-08-2004, 08:02 AM
Well, i'm not sure if you have to be on a list to visit but it is an all day process, depending what facility he's located in. Riker's is located in queens you can take a van that takes you straight in there or you can take public transportation. I recommend the van witch you can either catch it on 125th st or on 149th st and Grand Concourse. If you driving in you have to park the car in the parking lot and get on the bus that stops there to cross the bridge, it's a dollar. You have to have a state ID no beepers, cell phone, walkmans, or any electrical devices in the facility cause they will confiscate it.

Ronnie
10-17-2004, 04:12 AM
October 17, 2004

A Back Door Out of Rikers, Suddenly Famous

By BENJAMIN WEISER and KEVIN FLYNN
T (http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/dropcap/t.gif)he Local Conditional Release Commission was born more than a decade ago with seemingly the best of intentions. It would show mercy for certain nonviolent prisoners in New York City by freeing them from jail, an act that would also save money and reduce prison overcrowding.

And acting like a local parole board, that is just what the commission did. Hundreds of low-level criminals were freed each year.

But over time, as crime declined, jail populations slumped and the political environment shifted, the panel of mayoral appointees began to release fewer and fewer inmates, a tiny fraction of the thousands of cases it reviewed each year - so few that some prosecutors and the mayor himself lost track of the panel's existence.

Until a few weeks ago.

With its release of a former state senator, Guy J. Velella, only three months into a one-year jail term for public corruption, the panel, which has always lived in the backwaters of the city's criminal justice system, suddenly took center stage. Its rules, its criteria for release, its record keeping, its motivations and its political bent, or lack thereof, have all been the subject of much speculation and analysis in recent weeks.

What emerges from an examination of the commission's activities is a picture of a board that has had almost unfettered power to free prisoners and that continued to operate in the shadows of city government with little accountability and virtually no oversight.

Though the obscure body was served by a small staff and a director who was paid $135,000 a year, city officials were unable last week to explain whether the panel has written rules, the extent of its records on its deliberations, or whether it met in person to deliberate.

What is more, of the 15 people the panel freed early over the past five years, there are questions about whether, under the board's own informal guidelines, five were even appropriate candidates for release. For example, in 2000, the panel released Mark Gastineau, a former New York Jets player, even though he had been jailed for an assault on his wife and had prior arrests and probation violations. Two weeks later, the panel reconsidered and ordered Mr. Gastineau returned to jail. And in three cases - those of Mr. Velella and his two co-defendants in a bribery conspiracy- city investigators have stepped in to review whether favoritism was at work.

Indeed, some criminal justice officials are asking why the panel, which has a $386,000 yearly budget and employs several city workers, even continues to exist. "There's no public accountability," said Bridget G. Brennan, the city's special prosecutor for drug crimes, who said she believed that at least one of the defendants her office had prosecuted was later released by the commission.

"The way it's structured,'' she said, "just belies the principles of openness and impartiality that are really critical to assure people that our system of sentencing is just."

Response to criticisms by Ms. Brennan and others has been hard to come by. The panel's chairman, its three other members and its executive director all resigned under fire in recent days. Besides some limited remarks several weeks ago, they have declined to comment or have not returned phone calls. City officials, too, have refused to comment, in part because of the continuing investigation and in part because they depict the panel as an independent, quasi-judicial body.

The new chairman appointed by the mayor last week, Daniel Richman, a Fordham University law professor and a former federal prosecutor, has said that it is not his place to discuss how the board might have performed in the past, and that he has not begun to ponder how he views the board's future.

"My job at this point," he said, "is to understand the statutory framework for the board and comply with it."

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who said he had not even heard of the commission before Mr. Velella's release, even though his administration had appointed two of its members, has said that the panel has "outlived its useful purpose" and that he would support legislation to abolish it.

None of this controversy seemed likely when state lawmakers created local conditional release commissions in 1989. The panels in New York and in counties throughout the state were seen by the Legislature as a way to save money and relieve overcrowding in local jails. Under the law, prisoners serving sentences of 90 days to a year could apply for early release after serving 60 days.

"As originally envisioned, it definitely served a worthwhile purpose," said Jerome M. Becker, a former city criminal court judge who was the panel's chairman from 1990 to 1994.

In the early years, Mr. Becker said, the commission would not grant early release to an inmate with a long record or violent background. Prisoners who were released had to agree to strict conditions, like wearing ankle bracelets or entering drug treatment. A prisoner's release could be revoked if he or she violated the release terms, and recidivism was extremely low, Mr. Becker said.

Mr. Becker said that the commission, which has operated out of an office at 33 Beaver Street in Lower Manhattan, met regularly, issued annual reports and consulted with prosecutors, judges and others on prisoner releases. "We got opinions from everybody," Mr. Becker said. In those early years, Mr. Becker recalled, about 200 prisoners a year were released.

"It was not a secretive commission," he added. "The defense bar was aware of it. The district attorney's office was aware of it. The judges were aware of it."

Former Mayor David N. Dinkins recalled, "At the time, it seemed to make a lot of sense."

In recent weeks, the commission has refused requests from The New York Times for copies of its annual reports, as well as other documents that could help illuminate its inner workings, including statistics on the precise number of cases reviewed and the number of prisoners freed. In a terse statement, the commission said that in 1991, it was advised by the City Law Department that it was not required to make public the rules that govern its decision-making.

It is clear, though, that the number of releases dropped sharply in the end of the administration of Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, with 15 releases from 1999 to 2004, according to the limited data provided by the panel. One city official said that the drop was due in part to the use of more restrictive criteria in assessing cases. One change, for example, was that prisoners could be considered only if they had no prior record, the official said.

Mr. Giuliani's spokeswoman, Sunny Mindel, said there had been no policy by Giuliani's administration to tighten the release criteria because the board was independent.

The board was "not high on everyone's radar," she said.

"There was knowledge of its existence," she said, "and a view that it might be somewhat anachronistic to the extent that it was created to solve the problem of overcrowding, which had been eased."

But she said it was no surprise that the prisoner releases fell. "Mayor Giuliani's successful approach to crime reduction was widely known and shared by many," she said.

Steven M. Fishner, a former assistant district attorney who was the city's criminal justice coordinator in Mr. Giuliani's second term, was critical of the commission's role, which he called a "backdoor way to get people out of jail."

He noted that the commission typically reviewed cases just months after a judge had already decided the sentence, based on information from prosecutors, lawyers and probation officers.

Of the Velella decision, he said, "It's bad public policy that's given birth to a bad individual decision that is rightly getting the attention it's getting because it undermines confidence in government."

Michael Jacobson, who directed criminal justice agencies under Mayors Dinkins and Giuliani, said that given the city's once crowded population of prisoners, which peaked at more than 20,000 in the early 1990's, "even when they were releasing a lot, it was still a little."

"It's not like it ever really served any purpose as a prison-population valve," Mr. Jacobson said. "It served a purpose of at least letting some folks go who could clearly be handled just as well, if not better, in the community."

Besides the trickle of prisoners now being freed, 18 more inmates were offered early release in the past year but did not take it, Jack Ryan, the spokesman for the city Probation Department, has said. That is because accepting early release requires an inmate to agree to one year of supervision by a probation officer, and inmates facing only a month or two on their sentences may choose to serve their time and avoid the year of probation.

Earlier this year, there was a move in Albany to abolish the panels, spurred by outrage after an upstate panel released Mary Beth Anslow three months into a one-year sentence for operating an illegal day care center where a 3-month-old girl died. But it fell victim to the political and policy differences between the State Senate and the State Assembly.

In February, the Senate, which is dominated by suburban and upstate Republicans, and tends to take a hard line on law and order, voted 59 to 0 to abolish the commissions. A memorandum in support of the bill noted "the lack of standards in determining eligibility for release."

Among those voting was Senator Velella, who had not yet resigned. And the main sponsor of the Senate bill, Michael F. Nozzolio, an upstate Republican, wrote a letter last summer advocating Mr. Velella's release by just such a commission.

But in the Democratic-controlled Assembly, which tends to advocate shorter prison terms and more alternatives to prison for nonviolent inmates, the bill went nowhere. It was referred to the corrections committee and died without being introduced.

Assemblyman Jeffrion L. Aubry, a Queens Democrat who is chairman of the corrections committee, said that the Assembly had "a different view, institutionally, on what should be done" with the commissions. He cited the early goal of easing overcrowding in jails, and the desire to give municipalities bearing the brunt of the costs of housing inmates a chance to release nonviolent or ill prisoners.

Mr. Aubry said that although the Assembly was troubled by allegations that the commissions' power had been abused in some cases, it did not believe that the commissions should be abolished.

Starting next month, he said, he plans to hold hearings to study the commissions and how they work, the requirements for winning release, and how involved local officials are.

Until last week, the members of the panel in New York City included its chairman, Raul Russi, and Amy Ianora, who were both appointed by Mr. Giuliani. Mr. Bloomberg appointed the other two members, Irene Prager and Jeanne Hammock. The vote to release Mr. Velella was three in favor and one, Ms. Hammock, abstaining. Mr. Russi has said that the release was granted as a compassionate measure because Mr. Velella was a broken man who was calling commission staff members from jail.

Not surprisingly, the commission's relatively few current defenders include some former prisoners who were released by the commission.

Judith Smiley, who pleaded guilty in 2002 to custodial interference for her role in the abduction of a baby boy in 1980, was serving a six-month sentence in the Rikers Island infirmary because she had health problems and was in a wheelchair. A probation officer from the commission got in touch with her, she said.

"I asked how they got my name, because I had not applied for it," Ms. Smiley said by phone from Albuquerque, where she lives. "He said that in essence, one of the commissioners was following the case in the paper and thought that I was a candidate for the program."

Ms. Smiley added, "It was a godsend." She pointed out that she had expected to serve four months (a prisoner's sentence is typically reduced by one-third for good behavior), and the early release meant that she had to serve only two months - "not that I was counting," she said.

Michael Cooper contributed reporting from Albany for this article.

Copyright 2004 (http://query.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html) The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)</H5>

Manzanita
11-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Pictures of Rikers Island

titantoo
11-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Very Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

capricorn29
11-28-2004, 12:33 AM
my man was in Rikers. The comute is not at all bad but the facility itself is horrible. It is very ghetto. people literally fight in there. the wait can take a long time if someone tries to sneak in drugs or weapons. the c.o's treat you bad like if it's our fault and the worst is the visit is only an hour (if they decide to shorten it they can) I suggest that kids don't go because couples can get outta hand in the smooching department. I also suggest that you be quick to getting your locker and getting in the bus .oh you don't need to be on the list to get visits or phone calls. good luck

msdrea03
12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
My boyfriend got sentenced not to long ago to 21years... they just transferred him from rikers to downstate. I need help on the best way to get down there and if he can have anything the first time i visit him. This is will be my first time visiting a prison...really nervous :/ any info will be well apprecisted. he told me he could start having visits next sat meaning dec.11 so im trying to gather info before that day.... what is the search procedure like...as far as underwire bras what should i do? please help im scared..and nervous.

cawillia
12-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey! You are in the right place for help. PTO has brightened my everyday. I am not from NY so I will limited in help - but you are posting in the right place. Also, for questions about the actual visitation (once you get there) you can post in the PRISON VISITATION forum. I wish I could help you more! But I'm glad you are here and welcome to PTO! :)

nikkiandbilly
12-02-2004, 09:39 PM
My boyfriend got sentenced not to long ago to 21years... they just transferred him from rikers to downstate. I need help on the best way to get down there and if he can have anything the first time i visit him. This is will be my first time visiting a prison...really nervous :/ any info will be well apprecisted. he told me he could start having visits next sat meaning dec.11 so im trying to gather info before that day.... what is the search procedure like...as far as underwire bras what should i do? please help im scared..and nervous.Hi,
My boyfriend was in Rikers for 18 months and was moved to Downstate a few weeks ago. He is now settled into a new facilty for 7 years.Visiting him at Downstate is not scary. First, when you get there it looks like a Rehab. You park right outside and get there early because you will have to register. I think there visits start at 8:30 but I would call. The package list of what he can have is posted on a thread for NY. He is allowed two food packages a month not weighing more than 35 pounds total. They don't have comminsary for two weeks so he probably would appreciate it. He probably will only be there for a few weeks. As for the search its just going through the metal detactor. Your bra will go off if you have an underwire. I wore a sports bra and had no problem. But if it goes off , they ask you to go into the bathroom, remove your bra ,put it in a paper bag. Wear clothing that is NOT short - like a tight shirt or short shirt. That's it nothing big. I would bring clothes and leave them in the car just in case. On the visit bring lots of quaters too. There are vending machines- I stayed for six hours - it was really nice. I hope that I helped you .. Have fun on your visit....

rottn
12-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Welcome to PTO.

Retired-18
12-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Welcome to PTO!

lovehurts
12-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Welcome. I was nervous my first time to a prison also, but now I'm an Ole Regular that they call me by first name! :) which isn't exactly a good thing, but you do what you gotta for your man. This is a good place to feel connected and that you are not the only one loving someone down.

Manzanita
12-03-2004, 05:34 AM
WELCOME!!!

maybe you should read some of this to get you started! :)

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79383

NYYankee
12-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Welcome to PTO and the NY forum! I hope you have a great visit!

itscindergirl
12-03-2004, 01:16 PM
welcome and being scared is normal it is not a normal activity we do everyday until something like this throws us into it. It will be fine just dress sensible don't take anything in with you but your keys and change in a clear bag or purse they can see thru or at least that is how it is in texas i'm sure the other ladies will be around to give you lots of advice. Again welcome and good luck

maidenheart
12-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Welcome to PTO this will be the best investment you have ever made as far as helping you through the tough times ahead. We all have been where you are right now, so just know it won't take long until you know what to expect, and you have this place to rely on.

LeaAnn
12-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Welcome to PTO!

chinikfb
12-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Peace...Welcome to PTO...here you will find lots of information and much support. Mrs.G, as usual, provided the best place to start. Regarding the underwired bras...I never had to take mine off...and that is all I wear. My first visit was scary...did not know what to expect. At the point that you see your loved one...the feelings of scariness lessens. Make sure you dress comfortably and appropriately...I guess for some that needs further explanation. I would not adivsed you to wear anything tight or low cut...although I have seen both, I would not risk it. Have quarters to buy food during the visit. Above all, enjoy your company/visit. Place a post sharing how it went. Blessings...

msdrea03
12-04-2004, 03:29 PM
thanks for all of your support everyone...im glad i decided to become a rgeistered user here. i guess you guys know how hard it is to communicate with ppl. and share your hurt when they arent going through it themselves so i feel good here. As far as Tight clothing goes can i wear jeans that are tight because pretty much thats all i owe :(. Do you think i should just play it safe and wear loose sweat pants? And can someone tell me where to go in the ny forum to find the package list they can get cuz i cant seem to find it
:( anything is appreciated once again. thanks for everyone's help.

Anthony'sWife
12-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I would like to welcome u here to pto, this place is wonderful, u find lots of helpful people here, loads of info and most of all support, I know how u must be feeling right now, my husband is doing a long bid too, 25-life so all I can tell u to do is take it one day at a time, as far as being scared well it natural, I know I was scared the first time I went to visit My hubby, and as time passes and he is moved to another prison, u will notice that all prisons do things slightly differently, but the dress code is the same nuttin to revealing, nuttin too short just go comfortable, and a welcome package is definitly needed I remember whi\en my husband was first sent up, they made him throw all his things away except legal work, his clothes everything, but anyway if u dont drive, there is a thread here that has some #'s of van services but I can start u off with a few if u like.
Rosie's van service 718-639-5573 or 917-337-4120 door to door service
Central van service 718-565-7703 door to door aswell

Hope this helps in any kind of way! Take care!
Peace

Lacey1984
12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Accroding to the DOC website, someone I know has been "Out to Court" and it has said this for about a month now. Does anyone know what could be going on? And can he still receive mail if he's out to court?

Manzanita
12-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Sometimes they send them to Rikers, for example, while they are in court in the city. They can't say how long they keep them there...just keep checking...and I am sure they will hold his mail. Did he have to go to court?

Lacey1984
12-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I don't know why he had to go to court. I have no idea whatsoever.

unikorn
12-15-2004, 06:22 AM
I had experience with the out to court message on the nydocs also for my hubby. He was in elmira reception and we were waiting for him to be moved so I checked it daily and then I noticed that status message. He ended up being sent back to county jail for a couple weeks while he had a court session, even though that matter was already taken care of before his lawyer just didnt' let the judge know cause it was a different court from his main charges.

Witchy1113
01-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know what the visiting hours are for Riker's for 2005? I don't have a calendar and need to go if I can go this Sunday?

Thanks for anything you can do.:D

jen42205
01-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know what the visiting hours are for Riker's for 2005? I don't have a calendar and need to go if I can go this Sunday?

Thanks for anything you can do.:D
If you go to www.nyc.gov (http://www.nyc.gov) and go to corrections on the pull down menu you will be directed to the website and the visiting schedule is there.

Witchy1113
01-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Thank you so much Jen.

Manzanita
01-02-2005, 04:56 PM
http://www.prisonhelp.com/

There is great information listed on this Site for Rikers Island, in the menu on the Left side.

frita
01-18-2005, 06:36 AM
HELLO EVERYONE MY NAME IS BRENDA AND IM JUST WRITING TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT ME AND MY HUSBAND WAS MARRIED IN RIKERS ISLAND ON 10-29-03 IT WAS VERY NICE WE WERE BOTH SO HAPPY CONSIDERING THE SITUATION. THE PROCESS WASNT BAD AT ALL I DONT KNOW IF THE JAILS UPSTATE DO THINGS THE SAME THATS WHY I WANTED IT DONE BEFORE HE WENT UP STATE GOOD LUCK TO WHO EVERY IS CONCIDERING GETTING MARRIED INSIDE ITS A NICE EXPERIENCE AND IT WILL YOU FEEL MORE LOVED.

BRENDAHi, my boo is in Rikers right now and I just went to visit him for the first time on Sunday, they had the dogs and everything It was crazy for me because I had never been there before and then to go through that experience was just a little crazy. Do they usually do that?:eek:

iznam3
01-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Tails From the Big House
by Diane West

We all know that wherever you can find people you're likely to find animals. But in jail? It's true. Right here in New York, several correctional facilities are home to a number of cats and dogs for some pretty surprising reasons. Their unlikely presence at these facilities has sparked some long-lasting friendships between people whose lives may have otherwise never crossed paths, proving once again that animals can build a bridge anywhere they are.

Riker's Island

Last July, an inmate of this sprawling, 400-acre, multi-complex correctional facility just off the coast of Long Island City in Queens found more than he was bargaining for one fateful day last year.

"The staff who work on Rikers Island knew there were cats on the island, but they didn't know how many there actually were," said Bryan Kortis, executive director of New York-based Neighborhood Cats, an education and advocacy group for feral cat colonies. "But then an inmate who was trying to escape dove under a trailer, and teargas was used to flush him out. A whole bunch of cats came running out instead. So that's when we got introduced to the situation."

It was then that an otherwise unusual partnership between the NYC Department of Corrections, Neighborhood Cats and several other animal welfare groups began. A full-out effort was launched in March of 2002 to spay and neuter these jailhouse cats and plan for their long-term care. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, The Center for Animal Care and Control and The Humane Society of New York joined Neighborhood Cats last year on August 26 for a final "Spay Day" on Rikers Island. (During the trapping phase of the project, Francis' Friends, Inc. and Kitty Caretakers of Queens, Inc. also provided assistance.)The project is believed to be the largest Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) project ever implemented at a single facility in the United States.

"We trapped about 260 cats altogether," Mr. Kortis says. "Between 45 to 50 of these were young cats and kittens that were not feral, so we were able to adopt them out. We returned just over 200 to the colony." A few cats that were found in advanced stages of terminal illness were humanely euthanized.

So far, the Rikers Island T-N-R- part appears to be working, especially the neutering part. "When we arrived last March there were kittens all over the place," Mr. Kortis says, "but this March I haven't seen any."

Correctional department employees take care of the day-to-day feeding and maintenance of the cat colony under the guidance of Captain Gloria Murli, who received humanitarian awards for her work. Because the inmate population on Rikers Island is transient the decision was made not to invite their participation. Even so, it's not unusual to find that some inmates are sharing scraps from their meals with the cats outside of their windows.

How did all of these cats end up on Riker's Island in the first place? It's impossible to know for sure, but it's suspected that at least one pair of cats were transported and abandoned on the island about 20 years ago, and the rest is history. Theoretically, a single pair of fertile cats can grow to a population as high as 1,280 cats within two years, making the TNR approach a humane option for feral cat management.

Feral cats congregate in areas where they can find food and shelter "and once they take hold, it's almost impossible to make them go away," Mr. Kortis says. And while Rikers Island is a relatively isolated area, feral cat colonies tend to spring up in or near residential neighborhood and are not universally welcomed neighbors.

An important part of Neighborhood Cats' and other feral cat help groups is education and outreach. "By the time we enter the situation its because people have started to complain," Mr. Kortis said. "We don't think the people complaining are bad people; we understand their hostility if they're getting woken up in the middle of the night by a dozen noisy cats." Humane sterilization, release and management of a stabilized colony often alleviates the situation and sometimes brings fringe benefits. "Building superintendents are our best friends," Mr. Kortis says, because rats and mice smell the cats and stay far away.

Funding and supplies for the Rikers Island TNR Project was provided by the animal welfare groups mentioned as well as Nutro Products (MAX and Natural Choice Premium pet foods), PetsMart Charities, Inc., The Artimus Project, United Animal Nation and the Tri-County Pony Club. Support and sponsorships are needed for the colony's long-term care and can be sent to: The Rikers Island Feral Cat Fund, C/O Neighborhood Cats, Inc., 2565 Broadway, No. 555, New York, NY 10025.

cloudysky
03-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a phone # for a Rikers Island complaint line. My boyfriend just got moved to a different jail on the island, and he said that one guy's wife called a number and complained so that they moved him to different dorm. :idea:

Manzanita
03-22-2005, 04:51 PM
718 546-0700 #

http://www.prisonhelp.com/ Visit Info

If you go to www.nyc.gov and go to corrections on the pull down menu you will be directed to the website and the visiting schedule is there.

this has all been listed above :) Good Luck and welcome to PTO...

Maria100286
03-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know what items you can bring to an inmate at Rikers island?

Manzanita
03-26-2005, 08:40 AM
I am moving this here, so you can read the above info and maybe someone has answered this for you :) Welcome and Good Luck :)

hdakahn
04-11-2005, 05:53 AM
does anyone know how to gett married in rikers island?

Witchy1113
04-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Hdakahn,

I am in the process of figuring that out myself. As soon as I know I will post it here. Are any of you presently married? If not, he can make the appointment with Social Services and start setting that up. Then, you will be contacted.

Manzanita
04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
I moving this Rikers Information here :)

Mami
04-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey I was just wondering.. can you visit someone without knowing their state id number?

Manzanita
04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Tribeca Film Festival---- "Rikers High"

Rikers Island in New York City is one of the largest correctional facilities in the world. It houses 15,000 inmates, 2000 of whom are 18 years old or under. Rikers High tells the story of three of those youths: 18-year-old William Santiago, who is serving 6 months for robbing a woman with a cigarette lighter shaped like a gun; 17-year-old Shawn Johnson, who is sentenced to 12 months for robbing two groups of teens with a gun; and 18-year-old Andre Blandon, who was convicted of arson after being hired to set a car on fire in an insurance scam. Banished to society's rock bottom purgatory, the young men now seek redemption through education, by studying math, language arts, and even attending barber school, in preparation for their GED exams. This emotionally gripping documentary also tells the story of the dedicated teachers who serve as de facto parents for many of the inmates, going far beyond their job descriptions to try to make a difference in their lives. Victor Buhler's astute and probing lens takes viewers beneath the surface details of this trio's rap sheets, relating the human stories that resulted in their becoming misguided victims of circumstance. Witnessing the sweetness, vulnerability, and sensitivity of these young men, you're reminded just how strikingly closely they resemble a gaggle of boys playing in schoolyard, more than the teen convicts that they actually are.
Victor Buhler

Director Victor Buhler studied film both at Harvard University and at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts Film Program, where his teachers included Ross McElwee and Spike Lee. His first fiction short, Chaperone, was nominated for an Academy Awardģ in the category of Best Student Film. The short was broadcast on television in thirteen countries, and aired on HBO in the United States. Buhler, who worked for directors Norman Jewison and Robert Zemeckis, directed an award-winning drama series for the BBC and has shot films for AMC, MSNBC, and HBO. He was a finalist in the Million Dollar Film Festival, a competition organized by Universal Studios. Hypnotic Films acquired his feature script, Two Harbors, which was developed for the contest. Recently, Buhler created the dramatic series Lone Star for Fox Television.

RIKERS HIGH
[RIKER]

Print Source
Jocelyn Gold
Showtime
1633 Broadway 17th Fl.
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.708.1392
Fax: 212.708.1217
Email: jocelyn.gold@showtime.net

Press Contact
John Murphy
Murphy PR
250 West 24th Street, Suite 2GE
New York, NY 10011
Phone: (212) 414-0408
Fax: (212) 414-0413
Email: jmurphy@murphypr.com
Web Site: www.murphypr.com

Screening Schedule
Sat, Apr 23 / 5:15pm
Regal Battery Park 10
$10.00
Mon, Apr 25 / 7:00pm
Tribeca Cinemas Theater 1
$10.00
Thu, Apr 28 / 10:15pm
Regal Battery Park 8
$10.00

haswtch
04-22-2005, 08:27 PM
this sounds like it might be really good!

Manzanita
04-23-2005, 07:57 AM
if anyone wants to go with me tonight PM me :)

harry'sdaughter
05-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Thought you'd be interested to know that "Rikers High" won the award for the best NY/NY documentary at the Tribeca Film Festival. I saw it at the Festival, when the three guys in the film were there for the question and answer session. I thought it was an honest, riveting and sensitive portrayal of school life and dorm life in the facility. I was so happy to find out it had won!

harry'sdaughter
05-09-2005, 08:06 AM
"Rikers High" has been bought by Showtime. It will appear on the cable network in the near future. I don't know when, but will post the schedule when and if I hear of the dates and times it will be shown.

Manzanita
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
wow, thanks for sharing this information with us :) so cool! :)

kaysdaddy
06-02-2005, 11:29 PM
hello, everyone i'm new here and i need lots of info my boyfriend just got moved from rikers island to ulster county and he says they will move him again very soon cause ulster is a reception jail. does anyone know i can get a van service to take me there ? what can i bring him there ? and on what days can i visit him? i'm thanking everyone in advance for even a little info all is appreciated.

kaysDaddy

Manzanita
06-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Welcome!

here is all I know....
(845) 647-1670 (Ulster County)

This is a reception facilty. Visiting is weekends only depending on the last number in the DIN. 9 -2. Calls can be made everyday. They are allowed out twice a week. They can be here from two weeks up to 8 weeks.

-only allowed 5 letters a week.

-call both locations the Friday before visitation to make sure that the inmate is still there.

more info to come...

Patiently waiti
06-03-2005, 07:23 AM
you can only bring him cigs and matches- make sure the cigs are bought in NYC. You have to call to find out his visiting days b/c it goes by their DIN #. After 2 weeks he is allowed commensary money $50 per day money order only. They can hold him there for 8 weeks with a min. of 2. Sorry I can't help you with the van I used to drive up there, but you can call the facility and they are very helpful. He can only recieve letters in the mail, no pics, magazines or homemade cards. Hope I helped you

2nice
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi... Welcome to PTO!! :wave: You'll get lots of advive, information and support here. Glad that youve joined us. :)

kaysdaddy
06-04-2005, 12:36 PM

kaysdaddy
06-04-2005, 12:38 PM
thanks everyone for your info but i sent him pictures in the mail since he can't have them will they send them back or give them to him when he leaves???

Manzanita
06-04-2005, 09:18 PM
they will send them back to you if he cannot have them.

babygurl919
06-05-2005, 05:04 PM
in response to the first question... that inmate lookup thing only works if your loved one is in a NY state prison, not a county one.. riker's is a county one (i think)... i used to go visit chris on riker's all the time before he got sent upstate and NO it is NOT quick... the CO's there are complete d*cks, too... the visiting process is long and annoying.. you are REQUIRED to take a bus over there (which you have to pay for).. then you have to wait in a line outside while they check each person's id individually... then you wait in another line to go through the first metal detector/scanner thing.. then you go to the right room (they have a separate room for each house in the jail), wait in another line to register... (i don't think your name has to be on a list).. then you have to sit down and wait for ANOTHER bus to come to take you over to the actual house that they're in... when you get to the house, you wait in ANOTHER line and go through another metal detector... once you get there, you put your stuff in a locker, and wait.. again... until they call your number (which can take up to 2 hours)... then when u get your number called, you go through ANOTHER metal detector and then one final search where you have to take off your shoes, shake out your bra, etc... then you go upstairs, into the visiting room, where you have to sit there and wait for them to come out... all this for a measly hour visit with hundreds of people around, usually right next to you (but the room setup depends on which house you go to).. ugh, it's horrible... it usually took me 2-3 hours before i even got to see him.. then after the visit, you gotta wait for the dang bus to take you back to the main house thing.. then you gotta wait for ANOTHER bus to take you back to the parking lot... so, all in all, a visit would take me between 5-6 hours... god, i am SOOOOO glad i don't ever have to go see him in that place ever again... upstate may be a lot further away but it's soooo much easier and nicer...

babygurl919
06-05-2005, 05:12 PM
also.. some tips about riker's:
- bring about $3.00 in quarters for the buses and some extra money for vending machines if you get hungry or thirsty
- leave all jewelry and valuables AT HOME because they don't let you take any of it into the visiting room.. you can put it in a locker, but at your own risk...
- if you don't know their ID#, they have an info desk in the main house
- if you have to go to the bathroom, DON'T go in the main house.. it's nasty.. wait til you get to the jail house
- you're only allowed to wear one layer of clothing, so dress accordingly
- if you bring something "illegal" over on the bus, they make you go back over the bridge to the parking lot so you can get rid of your "contraband," then you have to take another bus back over and go through the whole process all over again... and you have to pay for the bus each time... some of this illegal "contraband" includes:

- cell phones
- lighters/matches
- walkmans
- anything electronic
- drugs (obviously)

there's some more i can't think of right now.. but point is, they WILL go through your bag and if they find any of this stuff, they'll make you go all the way back and come back... except the lighters, they usually just throw them out.. your best bet is to just bring your money, ID and keys.. hope this helps. =)

kaysdaddy
06-16-2005, 11:02 PM
oh thanks everyone but the did allow him to keep the pictures:new: :yay:

titantoo
06-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Cannot give you the information you wanted, sorry, but I wanted to welcome you to PTO. It is a wonderful place full of kind, generous and knowledgeable people who will do their utmost to help and support you when they can.
I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will respond soon---some alreadey have.

PhillyGurLL
06-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Welcome to PTO GIRL! I'm glad he was allowed to keep the pictures!

LeaAnn
06-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Welcome to PTO!

kitti kay
07-13-2005, 04:53 PM
iight my man jus got locked up n sent to rikers two days ago. this is the first time im actually goin thru wit this n a lot of my questions have already been answered by readin previous posts, but i was jus wonderin, for those who kno, is there a time period imma have to wait till i could go see him. like he got locked up on monday n one of his boys told me that becasue he jus got there no one but blood could see him. if yall could get at me it would be appreciated thank u.

egingerpch
07-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I am a writer and am working on a play with a company in New York City. I would love to talk to an inmate about their life and ideas. Can anyone give me advice on how to go about doing this? I am wondering if there are inmates who might just like to talk and share their story. Can I just go up to Rikers and meet with someone randomly or do I need to know who I am going to talk to first?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks so much.

egingerpch
07-20-2005, 11:27 AM
I am a writer and am working on a play with a company in New York City. I would love to talk to an inmate about their life and ideas. Can anyone give me advice on how to go about doing this? I am wondering if there are inmates who might just like to talk and share their story. Can I just go up to Rikers and meet with someone randomly or do I need to know who I am going to talk to first?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks so much.

chinikfb
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Peace...I strongly believe that you can not visit someone without his/her permission...what are you looking for...what profile of an inmate? A suggestion is to look at different posts and see who is of interest then PM her. Blessings...

egingerpch
07-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Nothing specific at all. The project I am working on is about the role of men in our society--how they make their mark, what they hope to accomplish, what is masculinity. I am specifically interested in how groups of men interact with each other in a male dominated group. Just to give you an idea, I have also interviewed a bunch of marines and firemen. There really is no set forum, just want to hear what they have to say with respect and without any judgement.
Thanks so much for your reply!

gwapa
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
hello my man was in rikers years ago but he was moved to woodbourne,anyhow, i'm not really sure if you could just go there and look for an inmate to talk to. i would advice you to ask around if they have family or friends who are at rikers and maybe you can ask someone to come with you to talk to that inmate. what is your play all about? sounds interesting!
there are a lot of inmates who would like to talk but i dont think you can just have the guards call them from their cells or something. i think i remember filling out a form after security check just before taking the bus to the visiting area. i forgot but at least thats what i can remember.
goodluck to you...keep us posted about your play

Niightdrmr
07-24-2005, 10:34 AM
I am moving this post into the NY forum so you can maybe meet some families who have a loved one in RIKERS - I do know you cant just go up there and talk to any inmate randomly. Maybe by meeting someone who has a loved one you can go to visit and meet them that way!! Good luck!!

Kelly

Manzanita
07-24-2005, 11:11 AM
this is the Rikers thread, good luck.

Evilnlita033005
08-30-2005, 07:41 AM
I support the arts and I'm a writer as well but the life of an inmate is no joke or laughing matter. It's real and no i'm not saying that you'll use it for malice or anything like that but it's a sensative thing and many inmates, such as my hubby, never like to shed light on what they endure in there because when they are on a visit or writing a letter they make it all about you. At least in my experience, they look to reach out, not actually open there eyes to what's around them. Especially in Riker's, in Riker's all they're waiting for it find out whether or not they are going home or going upstate. It's rough there. But all in all, I wish you luck on this project. :idea:

Manzanita
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
What and who are you refering to evilandlita?

Mammiesita
09-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm from Michigan and my man just got sent to Rikers about a week ago,
He has to go to court on the 14th of this month. He got a reversal on,
July 21st, they rode him out on the 24th of Aug. I haven't heard from him yet:( . He did call his mom but it was only for 5mins and the phone cut off but he told her where he was and that he was okay. That was it:( .
His lawyer just emailed me two days ago and said they sent him to Rikers
and that he' s going to court to see about a new trail. So please wish us luck:) . I'm trying to find all I can an address or something they no longer
have him under his inmate # . So no luck there:angry: . I miss hearing from him:o . If anyone can help I'd Really really be very greatful:D .
Thank you ;)

gwapa
09-02-2005, 06:33 PM
hello. my man was in rikers before he got sentenced. what i liked about rikers is the fact they get to make phone calls everyday. my man called me everyday when he was still in rikers, sometimes as much as 2,3 times a day. visitations would last about an hour...thats all i can remeber from rikers. that was way back about5-6 years ago. anyhow, hope this helps even just a little bit but i wish you both goodluck though.

abox
09-02-2005, 08:27 PM
my friend was at rikers and it was a very easy visit after the first time - knowing where to go / what lines / how to navigate your way

visits were an hour and in a big cafeteria setting - hugging was fine, hand holding and smooches were allowed but you can't get too steamy

you can send alot of stuff, too
i brought him (rather than mailing) clothes, books, newspapers

you can call the general info number to find your friends ## and from there you can get the mailing address to start sending him lots of whatever

718.546.0700 ny prison general info...somedays you'll be on hold for 15 minutes but sometimes it's quick.

best of luck to you and your man

Manzanita
09-03-2005, 08:50 AM
I Moved This Here ;)

Mammiesita
09-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Thank you everyone for your help. He called today and I'm on cloud 9 & 10 &11 LOL. He gave me his info the call only lasted 13 mins. But I was greatful for that little time. At least now I know he's okay and that I now can write him.
To hear his voice was so wonderful!!!!!!!!!! He is due to go to court on the 14th,
so we'll see what happens. Thanks again take care!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy in Michigan again.

Mammiesita
09-03-2005, 04:30 PM
I need help, what can I send to my man he's at Rikers.
They took all he's personal hygiene stuff. :angry: They brought him from Five Points because he has a new trail he got a reversal on July 21st.
So he goes to court on the 14th.:) I live here in Michigan and don't know to much about NY Corr. Does anyone know anything about the things I can send him? or If you know where I can find out?:D
He needs stamps and all his hygiene things. Thanks for your help:thumbsup:

Manzanita
09-03-2005, 07:33 PM
is he going back to Five pts after his court time?

nimuay
09-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Usually when they're moved, their stuff will catch up with them in a couple of days. Was he given a couple of net bags and told to pack up? Anyway, if you look in the NY forum there is a package list of what can be sent.

Manzanita
09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
but when they go to court, they don't stay there, usually they go back where they were and they do not take away their stuff, not from my knowledge...right?

Manzanita
09-03-2005, 09:14 PM
great news! ;)

Mammiesita
09-04-2005, 12:17 AM
On the phone he said he gave everything away they told him he wasn't comeing back there. And the stuff he did take they took from him the things they didn't allow in at Rikers. So he has nothing they gave him a check for $40.00 and a check of the money he had in his account. His mom sent him some stamps in the mail but he didn't get them. I don't know ? It's hard cause I'm so far away!

Mammiesita
09-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Okay he got a reversal on July 21st and they rode him out on the 24th of Aug.
He is going for a new trail, so he is trying to get a bail they go to court on the 14th of Sept.

Manzanita
09-04-2005, 09:58 AM
You cannot mail stamps to them, that is considered contraband. I would suggest you call Rikers and ask them what he can have...while he waits for bail, if he gets it.

Manzanita
09-04-2005, 10:01 AM
718 546-0700 #

http://www.prisonhelp.com/ Visit Info

If you go to www.nyc.gov and go to corrections on the pull down menu you will be directed to the website and the visiting schedule is there.

rikers info...
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1362450&postcount=40

Mammiesita
09-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Thank you for your help with this!!!!!!! It really means alot.
Take care

anon1111
09-10-2005, 03:31 PM
What items could an inmate at Rikers use?
He just got admitted there recently.
I'm guessing quarters would be pretty helpful, and I heard something about staff not looking after the bathrooms enough so would having your own toilet paper help? What are the inmates provided with to begin with? What do they often lack? What am I allowed to bring?
Can I bring reading materials? Packaged food?

Ken'sWife
09-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I am not familiar with Riker's do and don'ts, there may be a thread somewhere in this forum. I am sorry I cannot help, but I did want to welcome you to PTO and the New York forum!

anon1111
09-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome,
And I did find a helpful thread

Ken'sWife
09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Glad that you did find some information! :)

Mammiesita
09-15-2005, 09:26 PM
My man went to court on the 14th & it was adjourned until Oct. 6th.
Will they take him back to Rikers or will they keep him at the jail?
If anyone might know how I might find out this type of information I'd really appericate whatever you can give me:)

Ms. Cuteness
09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
When i lived in New York i used to work for a law firm that practiced appellate law, and usually how it works is when the case is overturned, and they transfer them to a new jail (Rikers) thats where they will stay until the case comes to an end, if the case is dismissed then they will go home but if they are convicted all over again they go back upstate, usually to the facility that they were in.

Mammiesita
09-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!! Ms.Cuteness. At least now I have an idea thanks.
Oh and by the way congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many Blessings to you & your soon to be husband. God Bless you both.

Rebecca

Ms. Cuteness
09-16-2005, 07:13 AM
glad that i can help

sasha26
09-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Hello my friend has been at Rikers for a few months now and he just got sentenced this past week is there a way i can find out if he"s been moved I havent spoken to him so I don't know what going on.
Is there a way where I can find out if he's been moved and if so where?

Manzanita
09-24-2005, 04:41 PM
welcome...

try here:

http://nysdocslookup.docs.state.ny.us/kinqw00

if not, let me know!

Cari
10-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I am going to visit my boyfriend in Rikers tommorrow and I have never been there so if anyone could just tell me somethings I might need to know like the rules and what i could expect .

Cari
10-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Also I wanted to know if you 16 yrs old to you need to go with you guardian?

If your in rikers what would you want someone to bring to you if your not staying long ?

Do they have vending machines ?
(I'm pregnant so I know I'm going to get hungry)

Manzanita
10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
RIkers Information is posted here :) Read above...Good Luck

satOsz wifey
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Also I wanted to know if you 16 yrs old to you need to go with you guardian?

If your in rikers what would you want someone to bring to you if your not staying long ?

Do they have vending machines ?
(I'm pregnant so I know I'm going to get hungry)
Hey mama,

Once you are 16 you can go by yourself without a guardian or anything. Yes, they do have vending machines for soda and chips and stuff like that, but nothing substantial. Just be prepared to wait for a long time and you should be fine. I hope your visit goes well, read above to see more info.:o

beba26
10-09-2005, 12:36 PM
my man is locked up at rikers island. I sent him a box of things that he needs on fri. The UPS told me that rikers island should get it by sat at 12pm. What i wanna know is, if he'll get it right away or on mon morning ...??

Cari
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
thanks for all the info

Mammiesita
10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Can someone please tell me what type of things such as paper & env. & stamps. That I can send to my friend on Rickers he's at 18-18 Hazen street. ANd Can I send him a money order and how do I fill it out or make it out. I'm from Michigan and each state is different, so that's why I'm asking. I want to get it right. Thanks for your help:thumbsup: . Becky here in Michigan.

Ken'sWife
10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
I am not really sure with Riker's but I feel pretty safe in saying just put the name of the person you are sending the money to on the money order with an inmate number if you have one. As for stamps, paper, and envelopes I would say that they are not allowed to be sent in. They must be purchased there. I could be wrong. I am sure others will come along and give you more information.

Good luck! :)

Mammiesita
10-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your help!! I called to the facility but the co that answered really wasn't any help she said yeah I can send paper & stamps & envs. but dont know how many of each and that she really wasn't to sure what they could get, and wouldn't connect me to any one that could. I'll wait someone who knows will come along. Thanks again.

Manzanita
10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I do not know much about Rikers, but there is a thread for Rikers in Prison Profiles Section, did you see it? I have to change the title here because we need to be more specific when we ask questions ;)

I do know you cannot send stamps anywhere, it is considered contraband. You can send paper, but not envelopes...he can get all of that there, don't worry.

Mammiesita
10-11-2005, 07:50 PM
okay thanks MRS G. the co on the phone said yes I can send stamps to him but then again she didn't sound like she knew to much. I looked on that site first before posting here. But thank you any help is greatly helpful.

Manzanita
10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
I never heard of being able to mail stamps....? Are they sure?

Mammiesita
10-11-2005, 07:57 PM
My friend is at Rikers at 18-18 Hazen St. Can anyone tell me if I can send him paper & envs,& stamps ? and if I can how many of each? I'd also like to send him a money order to help him out a lil. How do I make it out? I just want to get it all right! I'm from Michigan and every state has different rules. Thanks for your help with this. Take Care. Becky here in Michigan

Mammiesita
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
This is crazy uh? That's what she told me I asked 2 times stamps she said yes stamps. I'm gonna try and call in the morning. Talk to someone in the mail room they should tell me for sure! I'll let you know what the out come is so that it can help the next person out with this same question. Take Care MRS G.

LADYCEE
10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Evening Mammiesita
In answering your question, you can not mail stamps, paper or envelopes they can get that stuff in commissary, if she told you yes to the stamp she may have been speaking (thinking) of the envelopes with the stamps already on them. They use to allow the guys to get the stamps but then found that the stamps where laced with drugs (LSD). So that stopped that. You can send him money in the form of a money order just put him name and DIN #....help this help anything else just asked if the answer has changed from what I can remember I will find out for you...

Can someone please tell me what type of things such as paper & env. & stamps. That I can send to my friend on Rickers he's at 18-18 Hazen street. ANd Can I send him a money order and how do I fill it out or make it out. I'm from Michigan and each state is different, so that's why I'm asking. I want to get it right. Thanks for your help:thumbsup: . Becky here in Michigan.

Mammiesita
10-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Thank you for your help and info I really do appericate it. Take Care & God Bless.

Mammiesita
10-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Okay everyone here's an update I called and talked to someone in the mail room and yes you can send paper note book type. and you can send 20 envelopes stamped from the post office. and a money order just put their name & number on it. So I'd like to thank everyone who helped. I hope this will help someone else as well. Take Care & God Bless you all. Rebecca

Ken'sWife
10-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the clarificaton! I am glad that you got to the bottom of it and know for sure what you can and cannot send.

:)

Mammiesita
10-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks Ken's wife. I was so glad to finally get an answer it was so funny because the co that I was talking to had to check with another one just to make sure!
Now how crazy is that they work in the mail room and had to get help themselves!
Well I got my answer and it went out today so that's that! Thanks for concerned
it means alot take care. Rebecca here in Michigan

Ken'sWife
10-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Answers are hard to come by. Odd how someone can do a job, but not know what is allowed in the mail. I hope other things work out for you and yours!

skillz
10-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Here a link that list what you can send them. Also visiting days, and so on.
Hope this helps a lil!!!
http://www.prisonhelp.com/

Manzanita
10-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Mammiesita
.I moved your posts in here :)

beba26
10-16-2005, 09:47 AM
My man is also at rikers at 16-00 hazen st. I checked the things i can send him on the "acceptable items list". I sent him a package thru the "post office" i guess you can say "overnight" from a fri-sat. The problem is that there's been 2 attempts to deliver this package. My friend told me "to try and do it thru regular mail" which is (2-3) days. So either they're refusing it cuz it was over night, or nobody was around, or they didn't feel like accept it. Can someone help me or give me advise? Thanks!

Taya
10-29-2005, 04:31 PM
anon111 I know the ups and downs of rikers if you need to know anything else let me know i am there every week

saltygal
11-03-2005, 12:20 PM
my fiance isn't at Rikers (he's at the manhattan detention complex, downtrown), but when i was looking online for a list of thngs he could have i found this site: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doc/html/permissible.html

it lists what can & cannot be brought in for inmates (and it's for Rikers, but applies to other facilities in the city as well). i know i wanted to send my fiance sneakers, and apparently they have to be all white. another inmate suggested that i buy him some shelltoe adidas or white on white Uptowns (air force ones). hope this helps.

Manzanita
11-05-2005, 02:59 PM
saltygal, thanks for that link!

lilluv117
11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I think you can mail stamps. I have done it before and it has gotten through to him. My husband is at Rikers... GRVC to be exact. I'm there every week too. I always wonder who else from there goes on this message board.