View Full Version : Current Food Service Vendor Contract for another 4 yrs. UPDATED

babygirl350
01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know the current food service vendor for Ky state prison facilities have another four years to go on the current contract which ended Jan 5th. So, it doesn't look like the quantity for quality of food is going to be getting any better. Just have to keep supplementing as best as we can for those of us who are in a position to do so.

I had thought they only had a one year contract, but that was an error on my part. It is for five years.

They would have to be found guilty of doing something really bad in order to loose the contract, so it looks like we are all stuck with them. The only other way for a new vendor to come in is if this vendor would give up the contract and they are not about to do that.

WaitN4Him
01-10-2006, 07:17 PM
ugh- thanks for the info.

Samanthalee
01-24-2006, 11:08 PM
That's not good at all.

babygirl350
01-25-2006, 09:45 PM
No, it isn't good at all. It is also my understanding after checking on the internet, this vendor has most of the prison contracts across the United States. No wonder everyone is complaining, it is the same food.

WaitN4Him
01-25-2006, 11:32 PM
No, it isn't good at all. It is also my understanding after checking on the internet, this vendor has most of the prison contracts across the United States. No wonder everyone is complaining, it is the same food.

lol- thank goodness for vending machine food, for the people who get contact visits, that is.

ChicksWoman
02-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know the current food service vendor for Ky state prison facilities have another four years to go on the current contract which ended Jan 5th. So, it doesn't look like the quantity for quality of food is going to be getting any better. Just have to keep supplementing as best as we can for those of us who are in a position to do so.

I had thought they only had a one year contract, but that was an error on my part. It is for five years.

They would have to be found guilty of doing something really bad in order to loose the contract, so it looks like we are all stuck with them. The only other way for a new vendor to come in is if this vendor would give up the contract and they are not about to do that.

Do you all realize that this same food vendor also has contracts in most if not all major airports, stadiums, etc.
I worked for this same company only under another division but we were always hearing about the food services side of it

WaitN4Him
02-22-2006, 03:46 AM
This isn't about the prisons but the county jails. ALL county jails in KY will be ran by one department. The county jails no longer have control over their food service. They say that they are spending too much money on inmate food at county jails. LOL ---- not funny, but they were trying to be humorous.

babygirl350
02-22-2006, 04:32 AM
This isn't about the prisons but the county jails. ALL county jails in KY will be ran by one department. The county jails no longer have control over their food service. They say that they are spending too much money on inmate food at county jails. LOL ---- not funny, but they were trying to be humorous.

They call that trying to be humorous. OMG, not funny at all. That is disgusting in my opinion. I don't know where they get they are spending too much money on their chicory coffee, soymeat, powdered eggs, low fat milk. Give me a break.

Just my thoughts.

babygirl350
03-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Heard from hubby Thursday night, that the latest thing to try and conserve money is they are trying to do away with the juice and the quantity of milk they were getting in the morning for breakfast.

Not sure how they can carry out nutritional guidelines with this solution, but I guess they simply do not care.

WaitN4Him
03-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Awh man!!! What happen to the food paramid? This is just great.

babygirl350
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Well my own personal opinion is that the food pyramid does not exist. How could it possibly. My husband also said this past Saturday, now they are going to do away with the big slab of butter in the morning also. This was in an effort to add calories to their day. When I asked him what they were going to give to replace it, he said nothing that he knew of.

Someone had mentioned that they have butter on the cold bar for people to get in prison what they want. Well perhaps some prisons have it on their cold bars, but not all of them.

It is very sad when our loved ones do not get nutrition that our government keeps on assuring us they do have. It is just more punishment if you ask me.

I wonder what happened to the motto, you do the crime, you do the time. It seems to me they just keep on getting punished more and more in all the ways possible.

This isn't just happening in Kentucky either, food service is not good in alot of states.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

WaitN4Him
03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
OMG- How are they going to take away butter. That is more then needed. From my understanding the food needs all the help it can get. I heard they use ground Turkey instead of beef, ground turkey is expensive. Why don't they switch that. I understand a lot people dont eat meat, but I would rather have something to rather then nothing at all. I just don't get it. Food is something they need. But that's where they decide to cut...to meet budget. Makes me mad.

babygirl350
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
OMG- How are they going to take away butter. That is more then needed. From my understanding the food needs all the help it can get. I heard they use ground Turkey instead of beef, ground turkey is expensive. Why don't they switch that. I understand a lot people dont eat meat, but I would rather have something to rather then nothing at all. I just don't get it. Food is something they need. But that's where they decide to cut...to meet budget. Makes me mad.

Oh I agree with you WaitN. I think it is deplorable. My husband said he has not had beef in several years of any kind. They use alot of soymeat instead of beef. Well I guess they will serve butter with meals, but it won't be the quantity it was before to raise their calories for the day. They get some kind of chicken about three times a week where he is and also pork about once a week. He said they have even cut back on the pasta dishes as well.

We won't even discuss breakfast. OMG, fried bologna, dry cereal, 50cent size pancakes, watered down gravy. But they do get a decent size piece of coffee cake every other weekend.

Fresh fruit is also very little served there. Maybe an apple or banana once or twice a week.

Desserts are even more difficult to come by. Usually reserved for holidays or once in a while a cookie, piece of cake or jello that is lightly flavored.

I just don't understand how they are allowed to get away with it, but it is all a matter of budget and besides that, they can get away with it, so that is what they do. Food service as well as medical care. Very sad indeed.

WaitN4Him
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM
That is just wrong!!! There are no other words for it but wrong. No wonder my man eats all that junk. He lives off of stuff from the store, I can't even imagine what it is like in the hole. Thanks for sharing this. I need to ask him about the food there, we haven't really talked about it, except he doesn't like it.

mykygal
03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
My husband eats only from the canteen. He seldom goes to eat the crap they serve. It is a shame that they serve this crap - not nutritious at all. No wonder so many of them are in poor health.

CoopsBabygirl
05-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I was reading about the food situation and I think its sad. My boyfriend said they are child size portions and most aint worth eating. He has high blood pressure and I worry about what hes eating. I work 2 jobs to keep him eating from the store. I think its a shame that they dont serve them nutrional balanced good meals.

If God brings you to it he will surely help you through it

babygirl350
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
It is a shame Coops. It is very difficult for those with health issues to eat what they need because it just is not served.

Alot of guys eat out of the canteen, however, that is another cost that has to be absorbed by us out in the free world and not all of us are able to afford it.

I do the best I can, but that does not go far. I have taught hubby to buy high protein items and that has stretched his money considerably.

Of course I make sure on visiting days that he eats anything and everything that can fit in his tiny tummy.

All my best to you and yours.

WaitN4Him
06-03-2006, 02:47 PM
You know, since he's been in the hole at KSP I haven't heard him complain one time about the food. He's picky too. Give some jello and he's fine. LOL

Maybe he just knows thats the way it has to be. But when he was on the yard he only ate out of the canteen. He also said the food wasn't worth eating.

CoopsBabygirl
06-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I hear you Babygirl Coop eats anything and everything he wants when I visit also. I hope he does alright this weekend from the canteen because I cannot visit because of work...But next weekend he will eat great both days. Can't wait.

miss_my_man09
06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Its sad when vending machine food is the best thing going isn't it?:blah:

Miss