View Full Version : Embossed Envelopes at the new rate

CG119
01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Has anyone been able to purchase the embossed envelopes yet...I was told by the USPS they will be available for sale on 1-5, I went yesterday and they told me they wont have them for up to 3 months. Since he's in the SHU that's all he can use...
:angry: :angry:I'm sooo Frustrated!!:angry: :angry:

CET
01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I was finally told that at the PO also. I can send those to my guy. the PO said, they would put a 2 cent stamp on the envelope. I said that isn't accepted. then I asked if they could run them through the machine, adding 2 cents additional. He said "I would lose my job if I did that" I called stateville in IL mail room to ask what they are going to do? He said he was unaware that the envelopes would not be available for so long and planned to call the PO> he said they would not just sell the 2 cent stamps at commissary, and that the inmates would have to request vouchers for additional, or have the counselor have them go thru the machine for addl postage ( and how is that different than our po here doing that? ) the po is hopelessly behind now. I am betting they start selling 2 cent stamps!

CG119
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Well after I posted I called and they told me that they can take the funds from his trust acct to pay the difference. That's in Cali so maybe that can work elsewhere. IMO they souldn't raise the rates until they were ready...

Doc's Sis
01-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Can do so in Ohio as well. Mail Room will add the extra postage and take it from the inmate's account. FYI: Last month I sent a sundry package to Doc and included 25 embossed envelopes - the 37 cent ones on which I put a 2 cent stamp. Of course, I called Mail Room first to ask if I might do it just this one time and they said OK - because they had not yet figured out what to do about the postage increase.

warm_fuzzies
01-07-2006, 11:55 AM
well I went to the post office last week and today and NO ONE has these envelopes!!!! I am so upset too! The office that I went in today said that they should have them next month some time! I cant wait that long!
Then I just got off the phone with the post office rep and she said that ALL of the offices should have them..... Somone is lying here and I need to know who (LOL) I am gonna try again Monday morning and see what happens then.

whiskeylullabye
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
My man told me (in Ohio) 2 cent stamps will be available at commissary starting this week.

Lynnsy
01-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I "pre-ordered" my embossed envelopes and some new stamps on the post office web site last week. The stamps arrived today, but I'm still waiting for the evelopes.

inlovewithmrcar
01-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I also went to the post office and they said they didn't have them and god knows when they would get them. Yeah good answer.

LeBeau
01-07-2006, 01:25 PM
It's not like the Postal Service was caught unaware by the rate increase, so why in the hell couldn't they plan accordingly to have all the products available by the date of the increase if not a month before?

Iamlynnie
01-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I am somewhat confused here.It may just be my" old age" kicking in ....but from what I am hearing...We are not allowed to send our loved ones stamped envelopes with a 37 plus a 2 cent stamp for their use?
Ihope it isn't so for Fla or I am in big problems ..:(

warm_fuzzies
01-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree the post office needs to hear a complaint from me and they will on MONDAY when I go in there. and in Ohio if the 2 cent stamps will be avail in the commisary then I wonder if I can send them to him myself? To be on the safe side I will just call the prison myself and inquire how they are handling the situation. As mentioned by LeBeau they knew in December that the price was going up why not prepare......... Hell how long does it take to stamp envelopes?

inlovewithmrcar
01-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Amen to that! I tried to get on the website but I couldn't find anything about pre-ordering envelopes anybody know?

LeBeau
01-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I have been grateful all along that sending stamps was an option for me, but now I am soooooooo glad I can do that so he doesn't have to be terribly affected by this BS.

warm_fuzzies
01-07-2006, 02:09 PM
on the website you can pre order envelopes but NOT the .39 ones on the website you can look under packaging materials. 1.00 shipping and handling.... I wish we could send our own stamps cause I dont want my man borrowing from other people. Lets keep each other up to date with the mail situation.

Lynnsy
01-09-2006, 03:10 PM
You can pre-order the new .90 pre-stamped envelopes on the web site. Browse the store - mailing products - prepaid envelopes & cards - the ben franklin envelopes are the new 39 cent ones. http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/preOrder.jsp?OID=4849720&QTY=1&orderType=PRE

CG119
01-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I am somewhat confused here.It may just be my" old age" kicking in ....but from what I am hearing...We are not allowed to send our loved ones stamped envelopes with a 37 plus a 2 cent stamp for their use?
Ihope it isn't so for Fla or I am in big problems ..:(

Aww don't be confused...I am not sure what the rules are in Flordia, but in Cali at Pelican Bay SHU, they can only use the embossed envelopes. You can check with the mail room for your facility and hope it's allowed.

CG119
01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
You can pre-order the new .90 pre-stamped envelopes on the web site. Browse the store - mailing products - prepaid envelopes & cards - the ben franklin envelopes are the new 39 cent ones. http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/preOrder.jsp?OID=4849720&QTY=1&orderType=PRE

Thanks for the info...I'll order some from here hopefully they come in soon. If not they might get tired of my weekly phone calls and they'll get their stuff together...lol

kittenn0816
01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes, I pre ordered on Friday last week. I have always oredered from there and they get there in a couple of days.

HurtingMomInMI
01-10-2006, 01:52 AM
the post office here said that they wouldn't have any of the new postage pre-stamped envelopes until all the old ones are sold

CG119
01-10-2006, 07:03 PM
the post office here said that they wouldn't have any of the new postage pre-stamped envelopes until all the old ones are sold

What that's ridiculous...Does anyone remember what happened the last rate increase...did you all have the same problem?

Lynnsy
01-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Just to update - I got an email yesterday morning saying the post office was shipping the embossed envelopes I pre-ordered back on Jan 2nd.

albmonsters
01-13-2006, 02:05 PM
UPDATE ON THE EMBOSSED ENVELOPES:

You can go to www.usps.com (http://www.usps.com/) and PRE-ORDER the new embossed envelopes. here is the response I got from the Post Office regarding when they will be available for everyone. When you pre-order them, they will not charge you for the order until they ship it.

Dear Ms. ,

Thank you for your inquiry. It is our understanding that stamps/stamp products will be updated to reflect the new postal rates effective March, 2006; date to be determined. When the stock becomes available, you will receive an email confirming shipment of your order.

We appreciate your support of the Postal Service.

Jessie

USPS Internet Customer Care Center
icustomercare@usps.com

gustinsgirl
01-13-2006, 02:12 PM
My post office has them already, since Monday though (1/9). I sent the old pre-stamped w/2-cent stamps, and I hope they will go through. We'll see I guess. I bought a lot of the new envelopes just in case they run out! Good luck!