View Full Version : Sending money to inmates in Oklahoma Department of Corrections

SophieJo
01-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Right now I'm using JPay to send my son money, however they don't send money to Ok. prisons, only the Ok. County jail. Does anyone know why the DOC doesn't use JPay?

Here are a few questions. What is the maximum amount of money an inmate can receive in prison per month? I know in the beginning my son will want to buy some clothes and shoes. He told me he can buy Nikes. :eek: I told HIM he might want to lay low. LOL

Do we use a Cashiers Check or Money Order? And how do we know if our loved one gets the money?

I don't suppose I can write to the DOC and get them to use Jpay? :p

freckledgrl
01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
It's only a guess, but probably it's a bit of a hassle to set all that up with jPay compared to only accepting money orders. But I wouldn't swear that's their reason...lol.

All the prisons we've been at have been Money Order only. Make sure to make it out to the inmates name and include their DOC number on it. When the prison opens the mail, they take the money orders out and process them onto their books and send a receipt onto the inmate. The best way to know if they received it is to ask your loved one. If they say no then check to see if it's been cashed. If it has then call the prison and find out what the holdup is....and always keep your receipt stub until you know he's received it.

I don't know about a max amount because I've honestly never had enough to have to worry about it...lol. The most I've sent at one time was $500 for one month but that was for the regular money, a tv, and shoes.

You're right about wanting him to lay low some. If they see he has an endless cashflow coming in then he's the one they are going to go to for their games. But he also doesn't have to go without, just be smart about it.

As for the shoes, from what I've seen that's about the only way they can have some individuality in what they wear so I don't blame them for wanting new ones. I'm tellin' ya though, some of these guys and their shoes addictions can beat my shoe shopping any day :D

SophieJo
01-02-2006, 05:54 PM
" If they see he has an endless cashflow coming in then he's the one they are going to go to for their games."

WHAT games? Let me know ASAP so I can write to warn him. Will anyone else be privy to the info about how much money he has on account?

freckledgrl
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
It's not as bad as it sounds and honestly, it's the same type of thing you need to be careful of out here on this side of the fence too. What I'm talking about are things like asking him to buy items from commisary for them and promising to pay him back but then the money never shows. Telling him they can get him a great deal on shoes (trade around) but in the long run he's out more money than if he'd bought them out right. Things like this is why bartering or trading is not allowed. If your loved one shows up new & scared with money then they could try to use him for it. Not everyone does this and not everyone is out to play games, but just like in the real world there are going to be people who are users.

No one else will know how much money he has unless he shows them the receipts or tells them. But just like it's bad manners to flaunt your money out here, it is in there too. A new pair of tennis shoes or sweats isn't a big deal, a new pair every 2 weeks is...lol. Tell him to use his head and remember that not everyone is as fortunate as him when it comes to money and he'll be all right :grouphug:

SophieJo
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
That was fast! LOL I'll tell him what you said. I'll pass on all the info to him. Thanks a bunch!

sexymami100
08-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Hello Oklahoma Pto, can someone please provide me with some information on how to send money online through Western Union. My fiance is currently at Cimarron Correctional Facility. I entered his name and doc# where it says "inmate or account number" but it keeps on saying invalid inmate/account number. Am I suppose to be entering something diffrent? Please help.

Thank you!!!

JKB's Girl
08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Hello Oklahoma Pto, can someone please provide me with some information on how to send money online through Western Union. My fiance is currently at Cimarron Correctional Facility. I entered his name and doc# where it says "inmate or account number" but it keeps on saying invalid inmate/account number. Am I suppose to be entering something diffrent? Please help.

Thank you!!!

Yes, there is another number, his canteen number I believe, unless that has changed. I would call the facility tomorrow and they can give you that number.

I found it easier to mail the money into Atlanta, I think it was than to do the Western Union thing. I had lots or problems getting Western Union to take it.

sexymami100
08-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks JKB's Girl. I'm going to call Cimarron tomorrow morning. I tried calling Cimarron this morning but the nice CO that answered the phone didn't have info on sending money online.