View Full Version : What does it really mean? (Pants hanging below the waist)

Mastersdgree
12-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I have been told that some inmates purposely wear their pants hanging below their waist to 'advertise'. It sugest that they are available for sexual acts or even prostitues. Supposedly this is where this style orginated from not hip hop. Any truth or not? Can you support with any documentation?

haswtch
12-31-2005, 10:07 PM
I've heard it haqd/has to do with not being allowed a belt, not with 'advertising.' But that hip-hop did pick it up from prison, style-wise

laChoola
01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, that's considered in style out in the free world, not even in hip-hop or ghetto music settings, but white-collar private schools, too. I wouldn't doubt that prisoners might try to feel just a bit connected to something outside those walls.

InmateAdvocacy
01-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't think there is any truth to that, I do believe it is strictly a fashion ststement and of all the inmates I know or have contact with if ANYONE approached them and thought they were advertising ANYTHING like that I am sure they wouldn't be receptive to that!

mel2020
01-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Actually, a lot of the "hip hop" fashion originated from "jailhouse" fashion. The one leg up, one leg down pants thing was a sign that they'd been in prison and were not afraid of the law-man. Now, its just a fashion. You'd be amazed at what some of the stuff means, and you'd never let your kids dress like that again! *L*

As for the saggin' britches...its because you don't always get a form fitting emsemble in jail, and with no belt, you're likely to be sagging a bit. Once you're accustomed to it, you want that all the time. It took off as another sign, "I'm bad 'cause I've been to jail!"

LadyMel2626
01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
all i know is ppl into hip hop support this look but i never heard the other reason u stated before in my life but it could be true but i dont know

rick
01-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Many infants walk around with their pants hanging low for a particular reason.Maybe it comes from wanting to be a kid again.

mrsdragoness
01-01-2006, 04:25 PM
what ever it is its very unattractive - just my :twocents: And a camera guy lost his job at my husbands prison for coming out to take pictures like that...even though nothing showed! And in MI they HAVE to wear a belt in the visiting room...even the camera guys!

StormyNites
01-01-2006, 04:29 PM
My cousin, who was in and out of prision, most of his young adult life, told me that it was advertisement, so that other inmates new which men were gay and approachable.

JillianTX
01-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I heard it started out of prison also, but it was due to the fact that they give them ill fitting clothes to wear. The inmate request a 32 pant and gets handed a 36, etc.

KMJoyner
01-01-2006, 05:30 PM
It was like the others said - started in prison due to prisoners being given clothes that didn't fit.

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

toi_ama
01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
I've been told by some prisoners that it's advertisement. I was surprised because I hadn't known that before. I just thought it was a fad. I've been told by more than one prisoner, though, so I guess it's maybe not totally untrue.

cryinblueeyes
01-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Ii means they need smaller sized pants....LOL
I happen to think it's sexy to show the waist band of their boxers, but when their whole but is hanging out....very unattrative!

Danee Boy
01-01-2006, 08:34 PM
My cousin, who was in and out of prision, most of his young adult life, told me that it was advertisement, so that other inmates new which men were gay and approachable.

That what I was told it ment when I first got to prison. Needless to say I haven't seen very many men in prison wearing baggy pants.

In NY we're allowed belts, although the pants don't have loops on them. You aren't allowed to put loops on because it's altering state property.:eek: You figure it out. :idea:

FYI: In Jails where there is shared bathroom and you have to carry your toilet paper back and fouth, you always have it wrapped up because if it's hanging out it also considered advertising.

whiskeylullabye
01-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Are you guys talking about when it's just down low on their hips? Or like below the butt, or just about there? I've never heard of this before

88reasons
01-01-2006, 11:14 PM
so.. if it means they are advertising booty in the joint,,., ,what does it mean in the streets? cuz I thought it was some sort of dope dealer thing where they wear sweats over 501s... i understand that... but I dont understand the baggie crotch to the knees... I was thinking... how the hell you gonna run like that!?!

but what the hell do i know?
I'm just old school :)

Crstnamre
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
That is funny you say that 88, an ex I had many moons ago went to LA County on some minor thing and actually asked some gang bangers why they wore their pants like that, how they run from the popo?....lol!!! I never have heard it means "advertising".

so.. if it means they are advertising booty in the joint,,., ,what does it mean in the streets? cuz I thought it was some sort of dope dealer thing where they wear sweats over 501s... i understand that... but I dont understand the baggie crotch to the knees... I was thinking... how the hell you gonna run like that!?!

but what the hell do i know?
I'm just old school :)

Danee Boy
01-02-2006, 01:03 AM
On the streets it's just style. In jail you wouldn't catch me running around with baggy pants.

one_luv
01-02-2006, 01:17 AM
In the prison my husband is at, they are not allowed to sag. They do pull them down as low as they can though without getting in trouble with the guards (they seem to know how far down they can go). I think it's sexy as hell, my man would just not look right with his pants pulled all the way up over his belly button. This is the first time I have ever heard of the "advertsisment" theory. That snopes link is great, very accurate site. My opinion is that the rumor was started by haters.

flygirlaa2
01-02-2006, 01:24 AM
I think Snopes said it best..."The rumor becomes a way of passing along one group's disdain for another's sartorial practice." I can see where certain demographics would want to start rumors about the other demographic who dress this way in prison. ;) I think a lot of us "get it" and understand who is saying this.

princesslaura79
01-02-2006, 09:03 AM
all i know is that my dad use to tell them that if their moms made them wear their pants like they do they would not do it.

mrschris
01-02-2006, 11:42 AM
i heard that it originated from inmates not being worn to wear their belts for fear of suicide or strangulation of other inmates...so the pants just kind of slid down. the inmates were released into the public like that...and it became a fashion trend. thats what i HEARD anyway!

robs_angel
01-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I have been told that some inmates purposely wear their pants hanging below their waist to 'advertise'. It sugest that they are available for sexual acts or even prostitues. Supposedly this is where this style orginated from not hip hop. Any truth or not? Can you support with any documentation?

I dont think that it means that ? i think its just a "style" :rolleyes:

JohnBrandi4life
01-08-2006, 11:44 PM
LOL....my husband and I were just talking about this yesterday at visit. I told him that i just want to go up behind them and pull up their pants. I don't know...it's just not my style.~~~Brandi

jennifer816
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Tony wears his pants like that. Not way down to his knees but just to wear it shows his boxers and i thinks its sexy

PBE
01-10-2006, 08:31 PM
If wearing your pants past your butt is "advertising" then I am very happy that my baby wears his pants where they belong , at his waist. ( With a belt Daneeboy ! Even though there are no loops LOL)

Now mind you he does not wear them skin tight or anything like that. They are baggy enough to be sexy but not so baggy I fit in there with him !!!

JKB's Girl
01-11-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm probably just an old "fogey":rolleyes: , but ugh, I hate that look. Looks like an unmade bed, unattractive to say the least. What I don't get, most of the guys that do this are young, and probably have very nice builds. But how can you tell with all that baggy crap they wear?
Better flaunt it while ya got it, when wearing those baggy britches, who can tell?:p

joybubby
01-11-2006, 01:50 AM
I do not care for "my man" 2 wear his pant like so far down low that his entire rear end is pointing out. :o HOWEVER I do find it very sexy if they saggin' just a lil bit I'm like awww yeah come to mama :dance: :thumbsup:

stormierain
01-11-2006, 02:49 AM
i heard it started in prison, meaning kiss my a$$ to the system

LadySlipper76
01-11-2006, 01:02 PM
My boyfriend wears his pants, with a belt, just low enough to see the waist band of his boxers. The pants are baggy too. I think he does it to hide what he calls his "bird legs" that he doesn't like. :rolleyes: As long as I don't see any crack or too much of the boxers, I don't mind. People where I live wear them so low I wonder how they can walk without tripping & falling. Now that is a look I don't like.
Too funny. :)

hvymetalcowboy
01-13-2006, 01:03 PM
This fashion was around even before I went to prison in 1974.It,s not a form of advertizing I promise you.We weren,t allowed to have belts,it,s that simple.Belts can make a good wepon,you can hang yourself with one or choke a person.The pants around the waist came out of prison.Out here it,s some sort of statment I guess but it all came from not having belts in prison.

somissingmylove
01-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok, my preacher told me years ago that this was the origin of the pants saggin down so low, "easy access in prison" but my man wears his so low that sometimes I swear they could just fall right off, and he is in no way is "advertising". I wonder if that is just something made up to make people pull their pants up. :rolleyes:

nothin4krismis
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
One can only hope!

Ok, my preacher told me years ago that this was the origin of the pants saggin down so low, "easy access in prison" but my man wears his so low that sometimes I swear they could just fall right off, and he is in no way is "advertising". I wonder if that is just something made up to make people pull their pants up. :rolleyes: