View Full Version : Do inmates 'DO' xmas and new year in prison?

silverleaves786
12-23-2005, 03:18 AM
I was wondering if inmates celebrate xmas and new year while in. Does the prison do anything for it... like an icecream or a xmas tree in the foya etc...

Miss_Jazzey1
12-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Good question....... I know my man said that for Thanksgiving they did feed him better than what he's used to. I will say I never see any holiday decorations up or anything of that sort so it probably depends on where your loved one is at.

2nice
12-23-2005, 05:56 AM
It really does depend on the prison and the country...
My honey is with the Fedz in the US, and all they seem to do is feed them better, but no actual celebration or decoration. They have church service too.
I had a female friend who was incarcerated here in the UK... She said that at Christmas they celebrated it and had decorations too! She was in a maximum prison for a bit too!
So overall i think it really does depend.

reddawgsluv
12-23-2005, 07:15 AM
My husband was telling me that on Thanksgiving, they got a peice of real turkey...Im not sure of any decorations or tree, but they do eat a little bettere on holidays. It may be like the case with pork, they dont serve it becuse of all the different religions in behind the walls.

jessnkat
12-23-2005, 09:46 AM
It may be like the case with pork, they dont serve it becuse of all the different religions in behind the walls.

My honey says they eat pork ALL the time where he is since they have a working pig farm at the unit. They even make them PORK meat loaf :yuck: .

BUT on the holidays, they do feed them better then normal. I know he had a basically 'traditional' Thanksgiving meal and even had pumpkin pie too!

ringoswife
12-23-2005, 10:12 AM
ringo said they were putting a tree up a couple of weeks ago and on Wed. they had a "fun" day with movies and card tournaments and other things. He's going to write me a letter all about it. (We're in BC Canada) He was really looking forward to it as something to break the monotony.

Atalie
12-23-2005, 10:45 AM
My brother is in Hazelton USP, and he said when he was at leavenworth they would get a bag with treats in it, cookies and such. He said there was a rumor at Hazelton that they would not be doing the bags, instead they were putting $2.00 in everyone's commissary account. He was joking it would be just enough to pay for a medical visit. He seemed disappointed about that.

Miss_Jazzey1
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
My honey says they eat pork ALL the time where he is since they have a working pig farm at the unit. They even make them PORK meat loaf :yuck:.

Girl you got me laughing my butt off with that one. I want to see some inmates raise and slaughter some pigs. Eww at pork meatloaf.:eek:

cassina1212
12-23-2005, 12:28 PM
A little Personal experience here. When i was at WCCW at Purdy. We did celebrate in what ever way we could. There was no Tree or decorations but depending on who the staff was, we got to exchange gifts. at midnight on christmas eve, they did a picture face count and handed out small bags of candy (4 kisses and 2 candy canes) It wasnt much but, but it made up feel more human in a inhumane place. Thanksgiving was the best we did have turkey and dressing that is the only day you get full unless you work in the kitchen. LOL Just thought i would give my insite as a former inmate. Merry Christmas to All and there Loved ones.

Cass

PowandVonne
12-23-2005, 12:35 PM
I am not sure, but I know on Thanksgiving in the messhall they have better food than normal. My hubby and a bunch of other fellas from him dorm just put together a whole bunch of food and make their own Thanksgiving dinner.

Crstnamre
12-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Nope...nothing like that here as far as I know. The only Christmas tree my honey is going to see, is the one on the Christmas card I sent him:(

liberaldog
12-23-2005, 05:16 PM
My guy's in Georgia and they had a cookout this past week for Christmas. Made hamburgers and hot dogs. He said its the best meal he's had in years

timber_fairy
12-23-2005, 06:00 PM
At the prison my man was at they decorated and put up a tree in 1 building. But they have the whole yard just inside the fence decorated. There is a wooden sign that says 'north Pole' and every year it is pointing toward seg. I always wondered if that meant hell froze over?:) Anyway one year they had gotten the caned snow and sprayed the front windows to the unit! :eek: Big no no for security sake! That was cleaned off quickly. They also feed them a lot better on holidays.

kaalilsis
12-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Last Christmas my brother spent it at Old Folsom NO Deco. Nothing really special I believe they were on Lockdown yippie for them!! He did share a spread with his bunkie, however I am ever so blessed to say he is leaving tonight to spend christmas with his son for the first time EVER in his 10 yrs of life!! Wishing all of you and your a very Merry Christmas..

bbEgyrl
12-23-2005, 06:27 PM
im actually not sure if Man's prison has a tree up because they have about 6 different buildings i doubt it though
he did put up the paper tree i sent him (which i was surprised about)
and they get better food on the holidays

cassina1212
12-23-2005, 07:11 PM
I just got a letter today with a picture in it with my honey with a Christmas tree and got one last week with him infront of some christmas decorations so i guess they do let them decorate at SCDC in SC.

Cass

MsAloha1018
12-25-2005, 01:34 AM
I know that when my loved one was incarcerated, they did have Christmas decorations up. I have quite a few pics of him in front of the Christmas tree, one for each year he was in. When he was in one particular prison I guess there was a small gift exchange...nothing major. The food was much better during the holidays too. My guy worked in the kitchen so he got to pig out on pies, etc. Every year he would tell me that he'd have at least 1 pumpkin pie that he would pig out on, all by himself!

Oh yeah, and I hear you on the pig farm thing. My guy was SOOOOO TIRED of eating pork, because there was a pig farm at the prison he was at. I told him, "You know how lucky you are? It costs an arm and a leg to get pork chops on the outside!!!"

one_luv
12-25-2005, 11:14 PM
My hubby and his friends will do something special for the holidays, and they'll eat better at chow.

Iamlynnie
12-27-2005, 04:37 PM
My son tells me that they do eat better on the holidays but he has never mentioned any type of celebrations or decorations .

Retired-25
12-27-2005, 04:47 PM
The only thing they did differently on Christmas at my man's camp was serve hot chocolate with a candy cane during one meal that day and he said, "We each got one slice of see through beef and turkey". GROSS!!!

Nicegirl26
12-27-2005, 06:57 PM
When, I went to visit. They had a Christmas tree up in the visitation room and we were able to take pictures in front of the tree.

WandaMI
12-27-2005, 07:26 PM
My son told me that on Christmas day they had roast beef and gravey on noodles. He said they had pumpkin pie too. He never mentioned a tree there though.

moniloc22
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
I know this is kind of late but where my honey is there are Christmas trees in the main lobby and one in the visiting room. There are decorations of snowmen and such in the visiting room also. They get fed better for Thanksgiving but the same ole slop for Christmas. They were given baskets from the Joyce Meyers organization for Christmas with cookies, candy, bibles, literature, etc. He doesn't celebrate Christmas so he thinks they force the little they do on everyone else under the guise of "cheering everyone up for the holidays". Through an extra visitng day in there would cheer us up. Just though I'd share

luckyclark
12-28-2005, 10:59 AM
get real!!! my husband is in EKCC in West Liberty and they don't do anything special for those guys.

Blueyez94
12-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Where my husband is at they decorate for Christmas, they also feed them a traditional Christmas dinner. The prison doesn't do anything for new years...He will call me and we will count down to the new year together. We did get a visit on Christmas...

Danee Boy
12-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanksgiving 2004 I spent in Downstate (NY) they severed us a nice meal. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls and even pumpkin pie.

For Christmas I was in Lakeview (NY) a shock camp they didn't do anything special. I'm so glad I was disqualified from shock that place was a real hell hole.

natnatgirl
12-31-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks for posting this thread!!! Oh, my Gosh, it helps a lot to hear that the inmates are getting a little something. I hope my baby had a good Christmas. I hope everyone else did too. Happy holidays, everyone! -Natalie

JohnsHeart
01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Where John is they serve them dinner for xmas but nothing special is done besides that.

luckyme1526
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi,

At PVSP they did decorate a tree, and they had one in every visiting room, but that's it. They do have better food for them, the lady that stocks the vending machines usually puts a little turkey dinner in there too, but this time she didnt! =(

Rebeca