View Full Version : Plans For After Prison

Barbara
06-12-2003, 09:16 PM
PLANS FOR AFTER PRISON

Once released what is you son/daughter going to do to stay out of prison? You know if you just keep doing the same thing you have always done the result will always be what it has always been. You have to have a plan to change what has always been. What do you think about us using this thread to help our children make a plan for success in the free world? Does your child already have a plan? Would you please share it with us so that it might help others? What kind of a plan do you think best fits your childís needs? My son has been in prison most of the last 21 years, when he comes up for parole in 07 it could very well be his last shot at freedom. Letís hope it doesnít take your loved one that long to make it on the outside. Love Barbara

Valerie
06-12-2003, 09:39 PM
Hi Barbara, Well by the time Steven gets out he will have been in about 22 plus yrs. He wants to learn Spanish and study History, as you know he's limited to what he can study in the SHU.

Barbara
06-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi Val, is this a sad way for mother's to spend their senior years or what LOL. You know we just have to take life one day at a time, that's because we couldn't stand anymore than that :) Let's hope our combinded 40 some years of the system can help some of the folks here at PTO. Love Barbara

Valerie
06-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Yes Barb thats for sure,it sure isn't anything I would have planned for my golden years. LOL!

SHERRON
06-14-2003, 07:14 AM
Barbara.........I don't know what Todd has planned....probably nothing.......he has 37 more to go before he even comes up for parole..........guess I will be dead by then........geez.......this is sad..........what-a-life!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fb: :fb: :fb: :fb:

cheryl
06-16-2003, 06:52 AM
My son gets out next month. He's throwing around alot of ideas. The same one keeps coming up, auto mechanics. He wants to take a work at home trade school course it's about $1000. I'm not sure about those things I'd rather him get a degree form a local college that offers it. Is there any $ or help for these kids when they get out? Anyone know where I can look? We relocated and he'll be staying with us for a while (as long as he stays straight) I don't know about parole or anything. He never had a PO. So this is all new to us. I'm open for any help. He does plan on staying out of prison but you can tell he's nervous and so are we. He never used the support he had before (he didn't want help just more drugs) hope he uses it this time. I'm wondering about some type of get together for him when he gets home with people he can call on if he starts to slip again. Do you think that's a good idea? He'll be 19, or am I overstepping my boundries? Always a MOM I guess. cl

Anderhub1
06-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Im looking for the same answers. My son will be coming home July 30!!!!!!!!!!!

Are there any groups/organizations that offer any help adjusting to life outside? Any type of help available for education, training, anything?

Ive been trying to find information that offers some insight regarding their state of mind when first released, adjustments they face, what to expect, what I can do to help him when he comes home.

laurelnicole
06-20-2003, 10:00 PM
My son still has almost 3 years left to do, but I have been wondering the same thing. It is not like they give them many skills here in over crowded, budget cut, lockdown hell, California. They do not even have AA or NA programs at High Desert State Prison. What can be done??????? There should be help. Somewhere out there????? Please advise if you know of any.???????

JJH
06-20-2003, 10:15 PM
If you look at the June newsletter, you will find a book by I think his name is Michael Jackson. It is about how to make it when you get out. I sent it to my son and I can not say much about it cuz I didn't read it but it sounded really informative from someone who has been there. Go to the June newsletter. It seems to have some good suggestions.
Good luck, guys. Positive thoughts going your way.
Barbara, thanks for caring.

Steve&kids
06-20-2003, 10:38 PM
As far as financial help you should go to any college and go to the financial aid office and tell them your story and apply for everything you can, it really helps.The interest rate on student loans is very low right now also.Steve&kids

Barbara
06-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Hi, I guess I had a different meaning to this thread I posted let me try to explain. There are a lot of plans that can be made before your loved one comes home. My son has been in prison most of the last 21 years as I have mentioned, he has been out three different times but only for a few months each time. This time he got a 15-year sentence and he has to do the whole 15 and maybe more. We have had a lot of time to talk about the future and what it is going to take to keep him out. After being locked down for this many years he is not going to fit into society, as we know it. He has become quite an accomplished artist while in prison so he has enlisted my help to put his talents to work for him. He and five of his friends also artists send their drawing home to me and I scan them into my computer and make them into greeting cards. My sonís idea is to have a prison art business when he comes home. If we can get this off the ground before he comes home having something he has worked on for years on the inside and be able to come out and keep right on doing it seems to be the answer to the unknown obis that looms for all ex-cons upon their reentry to the free world. What they canít do is come out, feel out of place and then go looking for the friends they use to have. That is a trap that all people fall into looking for there comfort zone, it was not a good place to be in the past and it will not be a good place to be in the future. If you want to be a different person than you were you have to make the changes in your lifestyle that will get you there. Education is a very important part of success but just having a dream can get you there if you are willing to give up the past for the future. I have seen my son come out of prison with the best intentions in the world only to give up when he could not achieve his comfort zone. You have to have a goal in life and a passion to do whatever it takes to attain it. Think of it this way if you are a big fish in a little pond and then you come out into the free world and you are but a lowly guppy in Lake Tahoe where would your hope be? Bottom line I guess is you have to have a dream that becomes your plan. I think our job is to help our loved ones find their dream and build a plan from it. Love Barbara

Valerie
06-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Great post Barbara, I can re-late.

kathyb
06-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Barbara,
Boy does that sound like me and my son. My son has been in and out most of his life. He is going to be nineteen and is going to trail Monday, I think you know this, and is looking at 4-8 years this time. Every time he gets out he two has the best of attentions but he can never seem to fit in anywhere. Lock up never gave him anything not even an education. As mothers I think we want to help so badly that we may over do it sometimes. I have a few years to try and plan this time.

rmcneill944
09-07-2003, 10:03 AM
My son Hakeem will be eligible for parole 9/05. I have to give him alot of credit. He has begun to put himself into a self study mode in the world of finance, the stock market, business, economics and real estate. He is reading every book he can get his hands on in those areas(not many in the prison library, but I send those he wants. He plans on getting a degree when he comes home(no degree programs where he is in Chester, PA). I've been looking for a REAL correspondence course for him while he's there. too many are online courses, or require video tapes(which are not permited) and at his location,( there is no permitted internet access.) I think I found a true corespondence course yesterday from Univ. of Ohio. I think if he does start a college program, they wil given him alot of credit towards his degree for the things he has taught himself. He wants to work 2 jobs when he is out so he can start to save money to start his own business(renovating homes and eventually going into commercial real estate development-yes my son is a big dreamer). He even has spoken about getting a Series 7 license so he call sell stocks, mutual funds, etc. But this may be a little bit of a challenge, as he has a felony and may not get that license. I did find a statement of the web that said he could get it if as long as his crime was not a financial one(embezzlment, bank roberry, etc), which his was a stick up. Another post said he needs someone to sponser him to get the series 7 and with the felony no one will. I do computer consulting in my own business, and I am working on getting my business to a point where I could give him a job if no one wants to give an "ex con" one. He has even been chosen in the prison to speak to the inmates about how to buy a house, savings and investments. When ever someone want s to know about the news regarding the economy or real estate they go to him. They even automatically give him the business section of their news papers! When he gives his programs, the counsleors ask him , what in the world are you doing in here??? I just hope and pray he can keep up this momentum until he is relesed and his dreams come true. My son was born on Mothers Day of 1980. I couldn't have received a better present.

Rose