View Full Version : Designated to Carswell - questions

Scared/unsure
12-20-2005, 09:28 AM
First off, I just want to say that PTO has been a life saver for me, as I don't know how I would have gotten through all of this without being able to read these boards. There is so much information, and most of my fears have been lightened due to this. Thanks...

I just received my designation to Carswell and should be in the camp due to my offense. I have read the female camp boards, but I am looking for as much information as possible about life at Carswell now from anyone with first hand knowlege. I would also like to get a copy of the commissary list if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cinammo
12-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Glad you are feeling alittle better about everything. Time seems to ease a lot of our worries.

Scared/unsure
12-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Okay, now I am worried. My pretrial person has indicated that my designation does not show as the satellite camp. I have been assured all through this process I would be assigned to a camp due to my offense, point system, white collar crime, first time offense, etc.

Is it possible that I will still be assigned to the camp even if the designation doesn't actually say that? To say I am scared at this point would be a great understatement.

Any suggestions as to how I can quell my fears would be helpful!!!:eek:

KrisFedInCali
12-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that my desgnation said USP Atwater, but I was placed at the satellite camp. I think if you are designated to a satellite camp, the designation usually says the main institution. Try not to worry. You'll be fine.

Scared/unsure
12-20-2005, 04:35 PM
I can't tell you how much better I feel after reading your post. I hope your right... all I could think of was being housed with some really scary people and worried about lots of unimaginable stuff...

Thanks,

Lori

veryscared
12-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi Lori,
I just wanted to wish you well, It'll be over soon, I surrender 3 days after you to Alderson..........Best wishes to you and your family.

questionsinWV
12-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Good Luck!

fmrfmcinmate
05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
I hope that you are doing well... keep your chin up and my prayers are with you!

anotherdaydown
06-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi I am new to PTO but I do know about Carswell as I used to work there. Carswell was a very nice place to be, especially the camp. The food is excellent and most of the CO's are very respectful.
I am sure you will be designated to the camp, but sometimes you will go to the FMC for a few days first.
The FPC is right by the lake and the atmosphere is very peaceful. The rooms even have bathtubs, as they used to be Officer's quarters when it was the Airforce base. If I was to do time FPC Carswell would be the place for me. Don't worry, not a bad place. Believe me I worked in other institutions which were much, much worse.
I made a lot of great friends there. I left there in 2001

Imissmom
06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Question.... my mom is at Carswell and we were talking, and somehow got disconnected, I figured she would call me back within a half hour or so but never did, it's been like 3 hours now, I'm getting nervous something is wrong. Does anyone know what the latest time is they can call out or what may have happened... thanks

Scared/unsure
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I am hoping that you have had a chance to talk to her since you posted this question, but if not, here are some possibilities...

The phones are open when the compound is open. (Approximately 6:00 am - 11:45 pm Mon - Thur and 7:00 am - 1:45 am Fri and Sat) They will close down during count times for about an hour at about 4:00 pm, 9:30 pm and 12:00. You do not get much of a warning during count times, so your call may have been shut down for that.

Each call can last only fifteen minutes. If you went over that time limit, you will be disconnected.

She only has 300 minutes per month. Once this is exceeded she will not be able to make any more calls until the next month.

Scared/unsure
06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Not quite finished with last reply, so here goes...

She may have only transfered a little money to her phone account and she may have run out of money. If she doesn't have money on her phone, she will have to call collect which can be very expensive. Some phone lines do not allow collect calls, so this may be the issue.

Feel free to send me a message with any questions you may have. I have been home less than two weeks from the camp at Carswell, and may be able to help. I know this is difficult for you, but I promise your mom will get through this time just fine.

Smilie100
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi my name is Pamela and my sister is at FTC Oklahoma and headed for Carswell the medical unit of the facility. I have found ou very little about the place and need to know more. I haven't talked ot her in a few weeks now and don't think I will until she arrives in Carswell. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
Pamela
NM

dollbaby
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
mariah, hi, this is susan. I just got out the third. I'd love to hear from you. My email is dollbaby72@juno.com. if you see this please write or if anyone knows mariah (carolyn mcguire) please have her contact me. I just came from carswell. I was there 5 yrs. The conditions there are even worse than they were 5 yrs ago as far as the medical and overcrowding go.

kelz4532
08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
How is carswell. I am house arrest right now. But my lawyer said that is where they should send me. Are the people nice there and what is there to do to make the time go faster.

okladyfarmer
08-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Maybe I'll meet you there at Carswell as I am 57yrs., short, fat and a first timer. I have 41 mo. because I was a mule to afford my husbands cancer treatment and medications. The Mexicans in E. St. Louis turned on all of us (27) so they got me under conspiracy law, so thats why I got 41months. Believe me I know how you're feeling! I have to turn myself in August 18, 2006 before 1pm. I am going to the MC I guess cause I sleep with a breathing machine. Ihope to hear from you before I go and God Bless, Good luck!
Dottie

willie t
08-15-2006, 07:19 PM
my heart bleeds for you Dottie.Has the world gone completely insane. what sick judge would sentence a 57 year old woman with a breathing machine to 41 months! My friend is currently incarcerated there and is having a hard time. Hope you'll be in a better place (mental ward) than she.Good luck Dot!!
my prayers are with you and my friend..

noname10
08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
okladyfarmer

Welcome to PTO and sorry to hear about your extended vaction, hopefully things will go well for you and yours keep reading till it is time to go and let some of the PTO know how things are with you when you get settled. You and yours will be in prayers everywhere.

jmangine
09-06-2006, 06:40 PM
scared:

Hey just wanted to let you know that you nothing to fear at Carswell. My fiance has been there for 3 years now without even the slightest problem. From what I can tell the whole place is very laid back with hardly any sort of drama. There is a ton of resources and training and educational opportunities there also so dont sweat it.

EvaT
09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I was in Carswell in 93. It use to be a motel that people would stay at when they visited there families at the hospital that is now the FMC.I remember the rooms were carpeted and you had a private bathroom with bathtub and at that time a massaging shower head. I remember really tripping out because I had turned myself into the Marshalls office a month and a half earlier. And I spent 3 weeks in a CCA and another 3 at the FTC. So Carswell was like a dream. All in all it is not a bad place to do time.(If thats possible to say...).So for any women going there..its hard to be away from the ones you love,but Carswell is a place where you can relax and do your time.

cbrey
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Just heard from my friend at Carswell about two weeks ago and she said they now have the email program there.She sends an email everyday-it is $0.05 per minute-Nice to be able to keep in touch everyday.