View Full Version : Going to Carswell Womens Camp on June 20 - help, please

galerupe
06-11-2003, 07:40 PM
I have finally received my designation to Carswell Women's Camp in Ft. Worth for June 20th - to be there 6 months. Anyone with ANY information about this facility - I would appreciate your help with how to prepare, what it's like, what to take, etc. I know there are many of you who have "survived" it, and I would be grateful for any input, as I am of course scared and nervous.

Thanks in advance,
Gale

FriscoLady
06-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Gale, first of all welcome to PTO

Hi, a fellow PTO member is in Carswell Womens Camp now.
She has sent me and her daughter several installments of a diary she is writing I have already posted her first day in the Letters from Inmates & XCons Forum. I will be posting further thoughts from her for the rest of the week and I believe her daughter will be posting several as well.

Take Care and God Bless,

Patti

Cameo
06-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Hi Gale and another Warm Welcome to PTO! Here are some links that might help you a little:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=147025&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14358&highlight=Carswell+Womens+Camp

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16033

They should help you get started. I know Tonib left her address, it should be possible for you to write or maybe have a friend write to her. I'm sure she'll want to help you and reassure you as much as she can!

Pamela:)

Chevygal55
06-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Another Hello and Welcome Gale!

So glad you found us before you have to go. I hope you will find some comfort and support here~ Take care and May God Bless...

David
06-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Check out this thread for some info from someone that just went in.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=166024#post166024

ruesblueyez
06-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Welcome to PTO Gale! I see you are in Kansas, I am also from kansas and my husband is in priaon in lansing ks, so if you have your info and would like a pen pal then pls give it to me threw pm and id be happy to write to you and also send you local newspapers if youd like! Where in kansas are you from? Well I wish you the best of luck on your up coming journey! Hang in there and keep your head held high!

MAY GOD BLESS YOU:
Barb

Tinkerbell
06-12-2003, 05:39 PM
You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Stay strong.

Tina

deb
06-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Welcome to PTO! I'm glad you found us... Positive thoughts are being sent your way.....Hang in there...

Deb

galerupe
06-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and help - now that it's only a week away, I've been feeling really sorry for myself - better get the whining and crying over now (and wow, am I ever!) The posts from those who have actually been there really help - I'm just so afraid of being lonely, but am also dreading the lack of privacy. Oh well... if others have done it, so can I - wish I'd found this place sooner, because it is SO much help.

Thanks to all, and keep that info coming!
Gale

Sara
06-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Gale... my mother, ToniB, is also in Carswell. She self surrendered about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She wants you to know that when you get there on the 20th that she'd like you to come by her room (# 376) sometime after 3pm. She would like to show you around and whatnot...
She said this hoping that you will be coming to the camp part. If not, then she wishes you the best of luck

I hope everything works out well for you!

galerupe
06-19-2003, 03:27 AM
Thank goodness - any friendly face will be SO welcome! I will be at Room 376 if at all possible - or eventually - with my brown shirt and terrified-but-trying-to-look-tough look on!! Ha!

Thanks to all of you who've PM'd me and given me encouragement. I called Carswell and actually spoke to a NICE person (okay, so I was expecting some scary matron-like voice, but she was HUMAN!) She told me what to bring, the address, directions, etc. and so I'm ready - or as ready as one can be. I'm afraid of getting lost in the cracks over the weekend since I get there on Friday, but if so, maybe Toni will babysit me!

In case it helps anyone, what they did tell me I could bring was the same standard list, but I'll post it anyway: 1) wedding band with no stones and not valued at over $100; 2) earrings with no stones, not valued over $25; 3) legal documents; 4) postal money order or cash; 5) soft-sided address book; 5) soft cover Bible; 6) religious medallion with chain. Sadly, no pictures, although I have them packaged and ready for my daughter to mail. It'll be a long few days until the mail arrives!

Thanks again for all the help.... "once more into the breach"... ARGH - I'm scared to death!!

Gale

Steve&kids
06-19-2003, 03:42 AM
We wish you the best of luck and hope the info we gave you was a help. I have talked by email many times with Tonib before she left, she is a good lady and you will find a friend in her during your stay.Steve&kids