View Full Version : What is a 'Plea Hearing?"

twinks2001
12-15-2005, 12:27 PM
My friend is having his first plea hearing today. I'm just not sure what happens in a plea hearing.

He is in Texas (Denton County) on drug charges.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Silva
12-15-2005, 02:06 PM
If its the same as Ray's, then it will be where your friend, his attorney and the DA go down to the court room and discuss whether your firend is going to accept the plea put forward by the DA or not. If he says no, then he goes back to his cell and they sit it out some more. If he decides to accept it, they will then go before a judge and your friend will be formally sentenced, then he'll have to sign some paperwork, and then he'll go back to his cell and wait for his time to catch the chain.

a_coleman
12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
They usually start pretty high. Tell him not to accept the first thing that they offer. More than likely, they will go down on the amount of time that they try to give him at first.

Doodlebop
12-15-2005, 02:24 PM
OHHHH the dreaded Denton County! I hope your friend isnt in too much trouble and Silva explained a "plea hearing" very well!

Good LUCK to your Friend!

twinks2001
12-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for your time in answering my question. My friend did not accept the plea for 7 years yesterday. I guess it's just a process and we will see what happens next. I've heard Denton County isn't the greatest but he never complains. He has always been the optimist. Bless his heart!

twinks2001
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
They usually start pretty high. Tell him not to accept the first thing that they offer. More than likely, they will go down on the amount of time that they try to give him at first.
Just wondering, and I know every case is different so this is a complete hypothetical, but do you know what percentage they usually come down to? My friend was initially offered 7 years. What, do you think, can he expect? Again, I know, hard to tell as each case is different.

Thank you!

Silva
12-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, Ray's DA wanted 60-life, we were begging for 20, and they settled on 40, if that's any help. Tell your friend to put in as low a bid as his attorney thinks he can, and aim to meet somewhere in the middle, or take your chances with a trial ~ but you could end up with a MUCH higher sentence that way.

twinks2001
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Thank you for your help. I believe his attorney said that 2 years would be the lowest they would shoot for.

Thank you again!