View Full Version : How much time does an inmate actually do?

Ajayswifey
12-07-2005, 12:59 AM
I was wondering how much time an inmate actually does with the prisons being overcrowded. Are there any things they could do or factors that would get them released early?

jdcjmc1
12-07-2005, 01:17 AM
It depends what the judge says he has to do. if the judge says he has to serve 85% of this time he will serve 85% of his time and trust me just because prisons are overcrowded he is not going to get any special treatment.

Ajayswifey
12-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Thank You for the info. Next time I talk to him I will ask him what the judge said because I didn't understand a word of what was going on.

RachelisJims
02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't understand much of the prison mumbo jumbo, but I am learning. I've never been with an con or ex con so this is all new to me to. But I think from what my man told me that 1yr=10months for good time. It's still to long for me and I still think he set me up for this long wait. Just Kidding I love him with all my heart... God Bless:) :) :) :)

mrss19
02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
There are certain State Statutes that determine how long of the sentence. If it is not a violent crime as described in them and the sentence is 2 yrs or less he may be eligible to get community release or transitional release at 50%. My husband is in a level 2 Connecticut facility and fingers crossed his TS date is 3/1/06 which is 50%. You can go to your state forum in here and look up what statutes there are if you know what he was convicted of and see how much time.

Good Luck

Lovett871
02-06-2006, 10:15 PM
So far in South Carolina it's 52%. As long as it was a non-violent crime. Take Care.

chris' wife
02-27-2006, 12:05 PM
How can I find out how much time the judge told him in had to do? And is it the same in different states?

SCDC Mom
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
South Carolina Violent is 85%. My son is doing 17 years on a 20 year sentence with no chance for parole since it was a violent crime.

rockinboxers
03-14-2006, 05:57 PM
my son is in pelican bay for violating parole. that was xmas eve, (dumb ass) anyway he gets out May. his sentence was 9 months

CONWIFE
03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
it varies state to state. florida is 85% unless it is a capital crime such as rape or murder and then i believe it's 100%. they get 10 days a month off of their sentence (gain time) until it reaches the 85%, then the gain time stops. if you go to the california forum, they will know for sure.

KQuicksall
03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Mine got 14 months and I was told today that he would get out in 4.5 months cause of time he did when he was waiting to be trasported and the fact that he gets 6 days for every month he does without incident, that is if he is good :). I am not sure that his attorney is right or if he is just trying to help me deal.

Danee Boy
03-14-2006, 07:36 PM
The time an inmate has to do varies greatly from state to state. Most likely he will have to at least complete his minimum time if it's a interminate sentence (1-3, 2-6, etc)

HoneyBee4Me
03-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Aside from the parole rules in each state, the only other option would be an appeal. And if the appeal is won, then their time can be greatly reduced. But with the cost of lawyers these days... you'd have to come in a great deal of money.

KQuicksall
03-16-2006, 08:37 PM
He got sentenced to 14 months and is up for parole in 6 months.... I do not understand how things work, he was told he has earned 73 days now.

Does that mean off his sentence or towards his parole? His attorney says it is one way and others say it is another way, I just wish someone would tell me how it is! lol

His attorney says that it goes toward parole, like instead of 180 til parole he has 107 until he is up..... but when I ask like his SGT MAJOR, he says that the way it works is that it comes off his total sentence.... but to me that still means he would get out early.. ... he'll get out when he gets out I guess....he has an appeal going through right now, and a clemensy (sp?) hearing coming up soon... unless I missundertood and they are the same lol... as you can see I am new to all this and have no idea. Thanks for taking the time to try to explain things to me.... I think I would be more lost if I had not found this place and you guys!

Gryphon
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
When trying to calculate out dates, you need to compare apples to apples.
Every state is different; and the rules will change wildly state by state. CA rule won't apply at all to Kansas. It also makes a diffference about whether you are talking about parole violations, a new criminal sentece, probation violations, or a combination of these.
Some states have determinate sentences (a known number of years), some have indeterminate sentences (a low end and a high end, release to be decided by a review board). All sorts of enhancementsa can impact how credits get calculated, affecting the % credits to be awarded. The type of crime can impact how credits are awarded. Many states have forms of sentencing whre credits matter naught, and the sentence isn't served untol a program is completed. Some states have procedures where there's a way to review sentences, and where inmates have a shot at earning an earlier release date; and other states don't.
If you to understand a state's sentencing rules, the answer to questions is always going to be State specific.

dla8166
05-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Well I am in MI and here we have what is called Truth in Sentencing. From the way i understand it this means they do the exact minimum. like my man was sentenced to no less than 36mo and no more than 120 mo. TIS says he will do the exact 36 months b4 he is up to be released. Since there is no good time in michigan anymore there is no chance of him being released early...Now if that petition gets sifned and put thru there will be good time and no more TIS. so please if you havent signed it take a look on the petition forum and maybe sign it.