View Full Version : Got pulled over and am on Probation

annat
12-03-2005, 02:44 PM
I got into trouble this summer and am now on probation...finally just got it fully transferred to the state I'm in now. Today I was driving to the store with my mom (i was driving, she was the passenger), and I got pulled over by a police officer. He said the reason he pulled me over was because he couldn't see my license plate (snow was covering it, or so he said). Then while I was looking for my registration stuff, he asked who my mom was, then said the real reason he pulled me over was because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt (she WAS wearing it, just incorrectly. She wears it under her arm instead of over her shoulder, so when he saw her it looked like she wasn't wearing it at all) :angry: He warned her about it, then said she could be cited. After radioing into the police station or dispatch, whoever it is they call, he asked if I had any warrants in FL (that's where I got in trouble) and I said no, but that I am on probation and that it just got transferred to the state I'm in now (just two days ago I went in and talked to my officer!). He said when on probation and you get pulled over, you have to immediately tell the officer that you're on probation, and if you don't it can be a violation of probation. Well, after he left and once we got to the store, I called and left a message on my probation officer's voicemail explaining what happened and I gave the name of the officer (he gave me his card).

My question is.........will this effect my probation at all? I have five years but could get off in 2 1/2. Will this make that impossible? :( I'm sooooo worried about this!!! My mom said that since I didn't get a ticket, it won't do any harm. But I'm skeptical....:(

timcalifornia
12-03-2005, 10:17 PM
do not worry...you reported police contact and you can only be violated if you receive a traffic criminal ticket meaning if you got a speeding ticket or a traffic infraction it is ok. just keep your PO as one person that knows you will be honest and they wont mess with you. Good Luck...any questions email me [Email removed, please see PTO rules and policies. Please pm member for information.]

Searcher
12-04-2005, 12:06 AM
The fact your worried about this incident tells me you'll make it through probation without much of a problem. Tell your PO about the police stop and you will only gain his/her respect for being upfront and honest.

Searcher

annat
12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Thank you for replying. I'm not so nervous now :) And yesterday at work (I work at a store), I saw my probation officer! She asked how I was and I asked her if she got my message--she hadn't been in her office since it was Saturday, so she didn't get it yet. BUT she said she did receive a call, then asked if I had gotten a ticket. I said no, but I couldn't explain everything then since I was working :( I explained it all on the message though......and will call her tomorrow--hopefully she'll be in her office so I can talk to her.

FriscoLady
12-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Annat,

The very same thing happened to me last spring, Searcher has it right. As long as you are up front and honest, you are going to make it.

I know how nervous you are, I sweated it out until I got hold of my PO to, and she told me to relax. Now she did explain to me that yes you have to report to the officer that you are on probation, for I did not relay that info either.

As Searcher said, because you are so shook up over this, I know you are going to make it through probation.

Breath deep and relax!

I know it is scary, I have till 12/08, but I know that both of us are going to make it through! When I go home to San Francisco after I am off paper, I know I will be able to drink a toast (of tea, no alcohol for me ever again!) to you for we are going to be completely free again one day.

Patti

mikijuni
12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
What would happen if he did get a ticket and reported it to his PO ASAP..if he had already gained the respect from his PO does he or she have the power to decide if he violated parole and be punished for it...or brush it off. I only ask because my husband was on parole and his PO loves him but my hubby made a STUPID decision of drinking and driving and got pulled over for a DUI..he got 2 months in prison...his PO spoke up for him and shaved off 10 months...now what if my hubby is driving and gets pulled over for a fix it ticket couple months down the road...being thrown back in prison for that is unfair! Anyone?

Searcher
12-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Drunk Driving is a criminal offense (in most states) and not the same as the topic of this thread which was a technical violation of not telling a police officer one is on probation. Getting a Drunk Driving charge is serious business worthy of some time in jail when you’re already on probation or parole. In many states if you’re charged with a new criminal offense the DOC policy is a Motion to Revoke Parole or Probation must be filed. It differs from state to state. If the PO is respected by the Prosecutor and Judge he or she can greatly influence what happens.

Searcher