View Full Version : Seeking help about Eastern Kentucky CC

ChristyHoskins
11-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me if there are any prison advocates at Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex? I'm just wondering because I don't think that my boyfrind is being treated right there, and was wondering who I could voice my concerns to. Every time he goes in to see the doctor, he's told to take an aspirin and exercise more! He runs 3 miles a day, and they tell him to exercise more!
Thanks for any help! :)

Christy

luckyladyclark
11-26-2005, 08:30 AM
my husband is at eastern ky correctional complex and he is not treated right either. you might want to try to contact the warden but i don't know if it will do any good but at it least it would be worth a try.

ChristyHoskins
11-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks luckylady...but I was hoping to find someone outside of the prison who could look into things going on there. There HAS to be a prison advocate or something? Maybe it's just wishfull thinking on my part, I don't know.
Does you hubby ever complain about the food? My man says that it's not edible, and he ends up spending money in the canteen to buy beans...so that's pretty much all he eats. I just worry about him!

Christy

babygirl350
11-27-2005, 10:54 PM
There is an Ombudsman on the outside. Perhaps they could help you. As far as the food, it is that way at all state facility prisons in Kentucky. Unfortunately the food vendor that has the contract has cut corners so much that what is left for the inmates to eat is definitely not enough to keep a bird alive.

However, the one good thing about Eastern is they have this bakery over there, sorry the name escapes me now, but the prison gets their baked goods that can be bought in the canteen fairly cheap. Not advocating that baked goods are a good, nutritious food source, but it is one way to fill the tummy if they have money on their account.

Come January, hopefully another company will bid on the food service and will provide better meals for our loved ones.

All my best to you and yours.

ChristyHoskins
11-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks Babygirl! :D
Would you happen to know how I would go about getting a hold of the Ombudsman there? Maybe if enough people complained, things would change? Or would it just make the wrong people mad? I know our guys (and girls) are prisoners, but SOMEONE needs to understand that these people are loved, and they deserve to be treated fairly!
Thanks again!

Christy

babygirl350
11-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks Babygirl! :D
Would you happen to know how I would go about getting a hold of the Ombudsman there? Maybe if enough people complained, things would change? Or would it just make the wrong people mad? I know our guys (and girls) are prisoners, but SOMEONE needs to understand that these people are loved, and they deserve to be treated fairly!
Thanks again!

Christy

Here is the phone number for the Ombudsman: 1 877 807 4027. There are other legal numbers in the sticky at the top of this forum that may be of some interest to you.

I hear you about our loved ones deserve to be treated fairly and with respect. Yes, they are human and do deserve this. However when someone is incarcerated they have to live at someone elses home and abide by their rules and live the way they are told and unfortunately, there is not a whole lot that we can do about it.

The inmate does have an option to file a grievance and sometimes they actually win their case. Mostly they do not.

We on the outside also have the option to call, email, write letters and create petitions. We can talk to a whole group of the powers to be and sometimes it will make a difference. At least we are able to vent our frustrations and for the most part that is all we accomplish.

I am not saying to give up hope. One must always be hopeful and do what they feel they need to do to create a better environment for our loved ones. I just feel that sometimes all it does is to create a higher phone bill for us.

If I can help you any further, please don't hesitate to ask. If the Ombudsman cannot help you, then they should be able to put you in the right direction you need to go in to get the help you are seeking.

ChristyHoskins
11-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks again Babygirl I'm going to try calling that number today, and hopefully I can get some answers. Gary sent me a copy of his Inmate Handbook yesterday, and I didn't realize that he had, or is supposed to have, a caseworker. He's never mentioned having one. They're supposed to help him when he's got problems or issues.
Do you think this handbook would help anyone here? I could scan the pages and put it in a zip file, so it would be available to everyone. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks again! I'll let you know what I come up with today!

Christy

babygirl350
11-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Everyone who enters in the prison as an inmate is suppose to receive a handbook. Because each prison has their own set of rules along with the other rules that cover all state facilities in Kentucky.

For the most part the contents applies to the inmates and not to the general public. There is knowledge in there that we on the outside can find interesting, however, I doubt to the degree that it could be beneficial to anyone on the outside.

Jennn
02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Christy, I have a loved one in EKCC too. I have heard that the medical treatment is really bad. I pray that my guy stays healthy, especially until he gets out of there! I don't know for sure what to do but I know if you contact a state rep. you will get some kind of action. I would call there. I have heard that sometimes just someone on the outside getting involved will help. Best of luck. Don't give up and don't give in! :)

Mandi77
02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Is it just EKCC or is it all prisons? I hear the doctors arent really good at any of the prisons?

larry's lady
03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I have a loved one at EKCC and he doesn't do the doctor thing unless he absolutely has to. He hates the food there also and he usually buys food and eats in his cell instead of going to the mess hall.