View Full Version : How do I get Contact visits in a Texas Prison(TDCJ)

Loving Jay
11-25-2005, 10:02 AM
I started going to see my boyfriend about five months ago. It is behind glass and i am TIRED of it. I live in Texas, is there any way to get contact visits without being family?

User9999
11-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question but from what I've read on PTO I don't thinkit's possible...However, you may want to post this question in the Texas Forum or the visitation forum to get more answers...Or one of the MODs may come and move it for you....
Good Luck!

Erin

kensgirlval
11-25-2005, 12:53 PM
In Texas, if you are not a family member, the only other way to get contact visits is to be married :)

Silva
11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
not strictly true, kensgirlval:

you can ASK for contact visits under the Special Relationship clause in the Offender's Handbook, but you are very unlikely to be granted them if your boyfriend has anyone else on his vistation list that already qualifies for a contact visit. It is at the individual Warden's discretion.

The other option is to wait and see if your boyfriend is transfered to a trusty unit, where all visits are contact, but he has to be of a high enough line class status to qualify for that.

mamicita
11-25-2005, 01:40 PM
my man had to take classes before we could get contact visits.

Shiningstaar
11-25-2005, 09:15 PM
believe me it is possible. Me and my guy just got approved about 2 weeks ago for contact visits and we're not married (although several TDCJ employees suggested that was the only way). I personally don't think people should be encouraged to marry so they can get contact visits, but that's a whole 'nother debate.

I wrote my letter to the warden at the unit he is in. I basically had to address my relationship with J, why no one in his family is able to visit (his mom lives in Houston, but can't visit). I explained the positive influence that my visits have had on him, how he really looks forward to them, how his behavior and outlook on the future has changed since I began visiting him, how we use that time during visits to plan for the future, etc.

Once they received my letter, my guy needed to submit a I-60 to go before the classification committee to request contact visits too. He has to request contact visits also, letter from you alone won't do it, he has to request it too.

If you have other questions feel free to pm me.

jessnkat
11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
The only way to get them without being a family member is to request them from the warden as Shiningstaar said. It's generally approved if there is no family visiting, but it is not guaranteed for that reason.

Good luck!!

spawgan
11-27-2005, 08:44 PM
It also depends on how he is classified. For instance, if he is in ad seg, then there is no amount of requesting, appealing, pleaing, applying, begging or even bribing that will get you a contact visit. Other than that, if you are not married or family it is decided on a case by case basis. Try to be as friedly and cooperative as you can in your non contact visits, and it will help immesearably. His behavior will also help. If he is case free, then the request is more likely to be approved.

One thing to keep in mind, even if they move slow granting your approval, DO NOT become overbearing or demanding. It is a discretionary decision, and if you get on their bad side, it is easier to just say no then work with you.

Best of luck.

sapphirediamond
11-28-2005, 10:39 PM
It varies with the unit they're on. My fiancee said if he made a J1 status, he's in state jail. That he would be allowed a contact visit with me. He just has to stay out of trouble for a while and then put in a request.

cyarborough
12-22-2005, 12:14 AM
I was allowed a contact visit with a friend that is in TDC. He wrote a letter to the warden and it was approved. All he had to have was a specific date. It was easy. This was at Coffield unit in Tennessee Colony, Tx.

Jillian
12-22-2005, 12:27 AM
sapphire state jail is different .. than the state penn ..

as long as no one is visiting him and you make a request to the warden then you should grant you contact but it doesnt always mean you will get it .. my friend she had to try 2 times before getting approve for contact

Doodlebop
12-22-2005, 01:23 AM
If you have a child with the person you want to see you can get approved also! You will have to take the child with you!
Make sure you send the letter certified too! That way they cant say they never received your letter!
But like everyone said it is the wardens decision so address the letter to the warden!
I got a letter back from the warden stating that I had been approved and to let my loved one know what date I would be there so he could let them know! So I sent him a copy of the letter from the warden and told him what date and we had our contact visit!

PByrd
12-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Aside from the proper channels to go through mentioned above the only other way to get contact is the CO's. This happened to me and my man. I was extremely nice and polite to them and my man is the same. i was so shocked to see that 4C on my paper!!!! The ladies at the desk were beaming at me and me at them when as I left they asked how my visit was!

It probably didn't hurt that he's only had 3 visits in 10 years (2 from me) and I came from Kentucky.

Siyo
01-02-2006, 10:07 AM
I talked to the Assitant Warden at McConnell where my bf is. He told me that it is his personal opinon that friends should not have contact visits and he would never approve it. He did tell me that he could be over ruled by the Senior Warden. We also had a situation a year ago when he asked for a contact visit was denied and was retaliated against for asking. We did have a contact visit right before Christmas. The same Assitatn Warden that said he would never approve a contact visit is the one that approved it. Just shows you never know.

Nattyj83
01-05-2006, 04:24 AM
The only way you can is if your loved one is in Beaumont. Mine is in Gist there and b/c of the hurricane...all visits are contact. I was lucky. The visits are only 30 minutes, though.

BrandNewGirl
01-05-2006, 05:18 AM
The only way you can is if your loved one is in Beaumont. Mine is in Gist there and b/c of the hurricane...all visits are contact. I was lucky. The visits are only 30 minutes, though.

That is not the only way..see all the responses above. There ARE ways to attempt to get a contact visit, such as contacting the warden of the unit if you are the only visitor for him, etc. Being at Gist is not the only way.

Nance

sharon60
01-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm glad for the ones that finally got contact visits. we're still workin on ours.IN a letter from my boyfriend, they got a new warden. the first one would allow it, but this new one won't .he said some good things have changed for the inmates...but mostly good things changed for the employee's. It really does have alot to do with the warden.

mommatifferz
02-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I get contact visits because of our kids thats all. or else i have to be sitting behind a glass talking to him..thats the only reason we get contact visits. His own couz dont get contact visits cuz she is just distance. anyhow they are trying to get all visits contact then i will be even more happier. But i enjoy the smile on my baby girls face everytime she sees her daddy. it makes me cry. :d

Loving Jay
02-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I got the contacts!!!! I sent in a letter stating I was his fiance and we plan to be married upon his return and since we live so far away his family cant visit as often. I called the day it got there and she said "oh yea Jordan, I just got your letter, you are approved" I was trying to be calm on the phone and poliely said thank you so much. I hung up and started jumping up and down. I didnt think it would be that easy. Im going to see him this weekend. Thanks to everyone who helped, I wouldnt have known what do do without yall.

scarlettmom7872
03-04-2006, 06:53 PM
My hubby is in Holliday, should I even bother to try there? I know that is supposed to be reception center, but I have also read on here that ppl have been there for up to 2 years.......

jenz88
03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
My fiance is in the Holiday Unit, and I am interested in requesting a contact visit. He has family members on the list, but due to certai circumstances they cant make it to see him, and never have. I have been his only visitor since he has been locked up. Can someone help me in what I might need to say in the letter to the warden, and also what he needs to do on his end? Thanks.