View Full Version : TIS News

luckyanna
11-19-2005, 08:21 PM
My SO who is in Riverside said a female state representative came to discuss TIS and the hopes for ending it. He did not attend the session because it was done by call out and he missed signing up. However, he talked to a man who did whom he considers reliable. Apparently, she said forget it; there is simply no support for ending TIS. I find that very disappointing, but at least I won't have false hopes. Now I'll just worry about him being flopped in two years. He's doing ver, very well, but that doesn't really matter does it?

zhane
11-19-2005, 09:27 PM
That is why all of us on the outside have to get together to have a voice on TIS being ended.......The rep is only One but we are many!:thumbsup:

dmpdbd
11-20-2005, 10:06 AM
luckyanna - can you find out who the Rep. was. I am curious if it was Tonya Schuitmaker who is the vice chair of the judiciary committee. Furthermore, we must be making some sort of waves with our letters or no one would have even come to Riverside just to "discuss" TIS.

Zhane is absolutely right - we must keep writing letters and stress the state budget problems and the projected population explosion that I cited in my prior letter to them which is in another thread here on TIS. For one, I intend to write another letter regarding how our men are being treated just to save money, i.e. the toilet paper and soap issues, not to mention 8 men in a cube which was designed for 4 men.

WE CAN'T GIVE UP ON THIS ISSUE.
WE MUST KEEP FIGHTING, OR IN OTHER WORDS....KEEP WRITING. :thumbsup:

With things the way they are, sooner or later, the legislature and the MDOC are going to have to make appropriate changes.

Like Water
11-20-2005, 12:22 PM
This makes me sad. I went to visit my cousin yesterday in Thumb and he is under the impression that 5130 has been voted on and passed and that they are waiting to hear the outcome on 5129. I live in Indiana and am not very familiar with Michigan State laws. What are the chances these bills bill be passed?

Teed-N-Teed
11-20-2005, 12:47 PM
My SO who is in Riverside said a female state representative came to discuss TIS and the hopes for ending it. He did not attend the session because it was done by call out and he missed signing up. However, he talked to a man who did whom he considers reliable. Apparently, she said forget it; there is simply no support for ending TIS. I find that very disappointing, but at least I won't have false hopes. Now I'll just worry about him being flopped in two years. He's doing ver, very well, but that doesn't really matter does it?

We are all working and writing, but the question about being flopped and that he is doing very well, it depends on the parole board and their moods. My husband has been flopped twice and he has done great, they do what they want here. But keep your positive thoughts and keep incouraging him to do well, with that you can get threw anything. i hope he comes home, keep positive thoughts:)

mrsdragoness
11-20-2005, 12:48 PM
LikeWater.. unfortunately this rumor runs rampant thru all the MI facilities. I can't tell you how many times my hubby has called and said "well whats the truth?" and unfortuantely every time I have to tell him "its STILL in committee."

We have to keep writing and encouraging others to write. I even got my coworkers involved, and have helped them send letters!

StacysWar030
11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
E1 is correct. If we don't fight & make our words, concerns, & interests be heard, then no one will listen & fight for us. This isn't just about our family members coming home. This is about our children's education. It's about our health care. It's about ALL the things Michigan will NEVER have as long as we continue to spend our tax $$ on the MDOC. This is serious business here. This is OUR future. We are tax payers too. Please remember that!

Stacy

LeeS269
12-12-2005, 10:33 AM
We should all gather at the state house and picket! (Let's pick a slightly warm day though.... ok) Christmas day or New Year's Day would be good and might garner some much needed media attention (I'd be happy to handle publicity... as I've done it for a living and for my partner quite successfully)

New Year's day might be good as we could theme it "Michigan Citizens deserve a new start in a new year!"

Can we get a large enough group for New Years day (afternoon... when the hangovers wear off.... maybe we could all have a New Year's eve party at a local (cheap) hotel!)

How can we make a poll to get a number of people seriously willing to committ to attending? (We can also gather signatures there... and combine them with signatures we each get from around home... and then I'll submit them to the governor and every elected official!)

(Can you tell it's not a good idea to piss me off? ;-)

jaded01
12-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Im ready to take a trip to the State House and picket outside, and I dont work New Years Day.....I think its a great idea! :thumbsup:

thawkins2922
12-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I agree, we have to do something! I am tired of hearing about another school closing, teachers being laid off, and health care cost rising. We are all tax payers and have every right to let everyone know we will not stand for this! Our children's future depends it!!!!!