View Full Version : Elmira Information members shared

robschula
07-11-2004, 05:24 PM
i am new to this site and have a man in elmira. its a parole violation and ive never been there to visit, im not sure how it works in a max. does anyone know? i have visited him when he was in prison the last time in 1997. so i need some info, its been a few yrs. hoping this site can help me, from what ive seen its a good site to have found and get support.

Sam's girl
07-11-2004, 05:28 PM
welcome to pto robschula! Is he in reception at Elmira or in the max. part? If he is in the max. part you can visit everyday not sure if they split their weekends. There are vending machines and you can have pics taken too... the visiting room is nice... I was there once.

Mrs. JV
07-11-2004, 07:50 PM
My husband is in the main part of Elmira and he can get cans but they can't be larger then 16 oz. If they are (which happened the first time I sent him a food package from Wegman's) they will give him the rest of the package and give him the option of either "donating" or destroying the cans, or sending them to you (he'll have to pay the shipping.) When I made that mistake I was coming up to see my husband in a day or so after he recieved the package, so they allowed him to have the cans returned directly to me after the visit. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that they can't get cans in reception; just junkfood and ciggerettes.

Lacey1984
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
i just found out someone i know was transferred to elmira, i dont know his ID number. can i send him mail to there with just his name? if so will it get there in the same time? thanks!!

Sam's girl
08-06-2004, 06:25 PM
You can look up his DIN number at the NY state corrections page... there is a link here somewhere...I doubt that he'll get the letter without the DIN number.

Lacey1984
08-06-2004, 06:28 PM
oh its just the DIN i need? and i just put that after his name?

Manzanita
08-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Elmira Correctional Facility
Box 500
Elmira, New York 14902-0500
(607) 734-3901 (Chemung County) Maximum Male

http://www.docs.state.ny.us/

do inmate lookup and get his DIN# from there :)

Sam's girl
08-06-2004, 06:32 PM
yes....
John Doe #04 b 0000

for example, this is the way I address my letters

Lacey1984
08-06-2004, 06:36 PM
thank u sooo much for your help everyone! have any of yall ever been to the elmira corr. fac.? how is it?

Mrs. JV
08-07-2004, 09:29 PM
If you go for a visit on the weekends (at least in the main part of Elmira, not sure about reception) make sure to get there EARLY; before 7am because it gets very crowed there. Also, you can't wear anything with a hood on it, nothing sleevless, and skirts can't be shorter then 1 inch above the knee. Don't wear anything with a lot of metal snaps or whatnot on it either; the metal detector is very strong there. You can wear an underwire bra, but you will have to take it off beforehand and put it in a paper bag that you take upstairs with you where you can put it back on in the visiting room bathroom.

Lacey1984
08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
A:yes, they will

with4
09-10-2004, 07:37 PM
CAN someone tell me specifically what a prisoner in elmira can have. I have read one, but not sure if it's conformed to elmira.. What does no foil tops mean. Would this not be allowed ice tea mix with the foil type covers under the plastic lid??? Also what dose local permit mean for a coffee maker?

Thanks for any help... Also how long does it take to get to elmira from the city of buffalo? Oh what are there visiting hours and days? Sorry for all the questions...

Bridget

TRICIAB
09-11-2004, 07:00 AM
no foil tops means the peel back tops you find on jello containers or on some single serving soups also those small jam containers

TRICIAB

NYYankee
09-11-2004, 09:23 AM
It takes about 2 hours from Batavia, so you can figure it from there depending on where in Buf you are starting from. I'm not sure about the coffemaker, but it might mean only certain jails allow them and you have to buy it from the commisary? Someone else will know for sure. Have a good visit and get in shape to go up all those stairs!

Evil
09-11-2004, 09:52 AM
My first question would be is he in Elmira prison or reception? You might get him something if he's in reception that may not be allowed where he lands permanently.

with4
09-11-2004, 04:00 PM
I have no clue if he's in reception. He was sent to elmira at the end of june 2004. I sent him the package today, so if he is in reception I hope they will give it to him.

ksoccio1
09-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I just recently sent out a package to my son who is in reception there. If your loved one is in reception, he can only recieve a package after his 1st 2 weeks there, and visits after the 1st 2 weeks. Visits are from 9-3 every day. And a long hike up a lot of steps. The package that they may recieve has to be 20 pounds or less and shipped directly from a vendor. The Wegmans in Elmira ships directly to the prison, but you have to purchase the package in the Elmira store, no phone orders, or online orders. My local pharmacy shipped a package and I was told by my son's counselor, as long as it comes directly from the vendor and the food does not contain alcohol, and meets the size requirements, it can be recieved, the personal care items like shampoo, deodorant, and lotion don't have the same alcohol stipulation if they are shipped from the vendor. If your loved one has been there over 6 months, they are allowed to recieve 2 packages from home, not to exceed 20 pounds per year, then the packages have the same stipulations as all other facilities, no food that require refridgeration, nothing that exceeds 16oz. and nothing that is not hermetically sealed. There is one of those lists in one of these threads, can someone remember where it is posted? I think Mrs. G posted it, but I can't remember where I read it. They may recieve packages from vendors as many times as you can afford to send them from the vendor. The cigarettes also have to come from a vendor, I paid the weight of 20 pounds, via UPS and a $5.00 service charge. The 20 pounds I think came to around $10.00. I went around the store wrote the list of things I wanted, they put it in the box, and they took care of the rest. I live in a small town, so there were very nice people, it was the 1st time they shipped to a CF. I thought it was a pretty good deal for a $5.00 service charge. If you have further questions, you can call the facility directly and ask for guidance, I had to call several times to get the right info. They ask for your loved ones DIN# and they will be able to give you to someone, who can answer your questions, as to what is allowed for their status. I don't know if the criteria is the same for an inmate who is not in reception. The number for Elmira is (607)-734-3901. I hope this is of some help to you. God bless you all and your loved ones.

Evil
09-11-2004, 09:12 PM
My local pharmacy shipped a package and I was told by my son's counselor, as long as it comes directly from the vendor and the food does not contain alcohol, and meets the size requirements, it can be recieved, the personal care items like shampoo, deodorant, and lotion don't have the same alcohol stipulation if they are shipped from the vendor.
I don't think personal care items coming from a vendor would be allowed alcohol. I don't believe ANY facility allows those items to contain alcohol regardless of where they come from. My girlfriend and I both spend a lot of time looking for non-alcohol items and our sons are in different facilities.

ksoccio1
09-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Hello everyone,
I received the info from Mrs. Mackee at Elmira correctional facility, phone number 607-734-3901. I ordered the same items as the vendors online have, and they too, contain alcohol. After about 20 calls, no exageration, to the Elmira Facility to make sure that the items my store shipped out, were allowed, and getting the okay from them directly, I am pretty certain, that they are allowed. I asked specifically if each item, that I was unsure about was allowed. I also asked the store to ship when possible hermetically sealed items. For instance the old spice deodorant is the same as the one at the rite aid site, it has alcohol in it's contents. Prison Packages also has the same deodorant. If in doubt call the facility, that's why I posted the number. I think the reason for them only allowing vendor shipped packages is so that the system can be assured of no tampering. I have been playing by their rules. I will let you know when my son recieves his packages. If you know of personal care items that do not contain alcohol, could you please list them in a new thread, so when my son can recieve packages from home, so others like myself will know what to buy, unfortunately that is a while down the road. But it may not be for others.
Thanks in advance for your time and attention to this matter. May God bless you and yours.

I don't think personal care items coming from a vendor would be allowed alcohol. I don't believe ANY facility allows those items to contain alcohol regardless of where they come from. My girlfriend and I both spend a lot of time looking for non-alcohol items and our sons are in different facilities.

Evil
09-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Could you let me when your son receives his package and if he gets all the items? This is very interesting to me as I have no problem ordering online and this would be too cool for me.

Does anyone know of a vendor online that sells cigarettes with a NYS stamp?

Thanks!

with4
09-12-2004, 07:13 AM
they are allowed to recieve 2 packages from home, not to exceed 20 pounds per year,

20 pounds per year, that's crazy!!!

Well i guess that package is getting sent back, as it weighed 25 pounds and I didn't send it from a vendor and he's been there almost 3 months. What a waste of hard earned money, I should have just sent him the money instead.

Will the prison just reject it and send it back to me, or will he have to pay to send it back?

Mrs. JV
09-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Will the prison just reject it and send it back to me, or will he have to pay to send it back?

He will have to pay to send it back to you. But they might let him keep up to 20 lbs of the contents, and then ship the rest back to you; all depends on who's working the package room that day.

with4
09-12-2004, 12:57 PM
I think he may be in reception, as only being there 2 1/2 months I guess it's still possible. I will call tomarrow to find out. I didn't send the stuff from a vendor so i'm sure they won't let him keep anything..

ksoccio1
09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Hello Everyone!
I am happy to report that I got a letter from my son today saying he recieved the 2 / 20 pound packages that the vendor shipped and was allowed to keep all but one deodorant and one shampoo, and only because they were not clear bottles. Not bad for 40 pounds. The alcohol in the contents is not a issue if it comes from the vendor, it only has to be in a clear container. The package was shipped from the vendor on Thursday, 9/9 at 6 pm., arrived at the facility, Friday, 9/10 at 12:55 pm. The package was shipped via UPS. He got called to the package room on Saturday 9/11. We are both just happy as pigs in ****. I will be off shopping again to send more. My local pharmacy is an Eckerd's store. I would recommend talking to the store manager at your local stores to see if they will ship packages for you. Much easer than shopping online, because I knew what was going in the package, not like online, where it's hard to tell the sizes of the items and knowing the weights, the weight was counting the boxes, and stuffing to prevent breakage of the snacks. Best wishes to all, shipping goods to your loved ones. God Bless you all!!!

Evil
09-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Way cool! I will have to check with MY Eckerd now!

Thanks!

Did you find out if he is in the prison or reception?

Hello Everyone!
I am happy to report that I got a letter from my son today saying he recieved the 2 / 20 pound packages that the vendor shipped and was allowed to keep all but one deodorant and one shampoo, and only because they were not clear bottles. Not bad for 40 pounds. The alcohol in the contents is not a issue if it comes from the vendor, it only has to be in a clear container. The package was shipped from the vendor on Thursday, 9/9 at 6 pm., arrived at the facility, Friday, 9/10 at 12:55 pm. The package was shipped via UPS. He got called to the package room on Saturday 9/11. We are both just happy as pigs in ****. I will be off shopping again to send more. My local pharmacy is an Eckerd's store. I would recommend talking to the store manager at your local stores to see if they will ship packages for you. Much easer than shopping online, because I knew what was going in the package, not like online, where it's hard to tell the sizes of the items and knowing the weights, the weight was counting the boxes, and stuffing to prevent breakage of the snacks. Best wishes to all, shipping goods to your loved ones. God Bless you all!!!

TRICIAB
09-15-2004, 07:05 AM
The latest edition of directive 4911 the main directive says
inmates may receive two packages a month containing foodstufs, as set forth in section1V, the combined weight of which shall not exceed 35 pounds

the weight limitation only applies to the food

I have heard that some facilities restrict food packages from home to two per year howerver if sent from a qualified vendor it is two per month????

we use Bust The Move and have had no problems

TRICIAB

ksoccio1
09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
www.accesscatalog.com (http://www.accesscatalog.com)

they have cigarettes for ordering on line, they also sell many other usefull items for our loved ones at very reasonable prices.

Evil
09-21-2004, 03:49 AM
The only cigarettes I see are in the sample catalog and not available for ordering. Am I missing something?

www.accesscatalog.com (http://www.accesscatalog.com/)

they have cigarettes for ordering on line, they also sell many other usefull items for our loved ones at very reasonable prices.

ksoccio1
09-21-2004, 06:55 AM
You must of seen the same ones I did, I am going to write the company and ask what's up with that? They had Marlboro's and GPC's. I will post again as soon as I find out more info.

The only cigarettes I see are in the sample catalog and not available for ordering. Am I missing something?

Mrs. JV
10-09-2004, 09:52 AM
At ELMIRA (and all other "TV-facilities") the inmate may recieve two 20 lbs food packages from HOME a year, for a TOTAL of 40 lbs a year from HOME. He may also recieve one 35 lbs food package a month delivered directly from a VENDOR.

brosato
12-08-2004, 07:18 PM
hi does anyone know of an online site where i can have food sent to my son in elmira. hes in reception and has been for almost 2 months. he says i have to have a vende send it. walmat or wegmans. does that mean i have to go to elmira to arrange this or can i get things ordered another way. im at my wits end. they refused to give him a box i brought. you can imagine what i went through to get it there . anyone that has visited elmira knows what i meam. there is 100 stairs to climb ugh!!!! any help would be great. i know what he can get but the method of how is my question. thanks for listening barb :)

Marc's Mom
12-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Have you tried a local wegman's ? the one in elmira told me when I went there ....
you have to do the shopping and bring it up to the service desk and then they will ship it ( basically across the road ) on Mondays.
remember the list has certain guidelines and weights are a factor as well.

jasonsonlyboo
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm soo anxious to see my hubby. I just wanted to know, when you get there, how much time and room do you have to get dressed. Any outlets for my curlers. I hope there is,i cut my hair into a mohawk:eek: and Jason is going to look at me so crazy, so atleast i can have it freshly curled. Is there anywhere for the kids to play? I know there strict about thedress code, god knows what I'm going to wear.:confused:

Thanks, ya'll all always so helpfull!

Ken'sWife
07-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Are you planning a weekened or week day visit? Yes, outlet in the ladies room. Crowded on the weekend's, hospitality center opens at 8AM during the week and 7AM on the weekend. Get there early. Any other questions, I am sure there is a post somewhere, or feel free to askhere, or PM.

Momma Ann
07-11-2005, 01:56 PM
I assume he is in General Population--if he is in reception--the whole thing is different. In either case, if you can get there during the week it is much better. On weekdays for gen pop and reception and on weekends for general pop--the room has a kids area with toys and videos. BRING mQUARTERS. The change machines on either side rarely work. They let you touch a lot and you sit at a table. Just make sure to get there before 10 (it's actually 10:30 but be safe) or you will wait till 12 to get in because of count-that goes for weekdays and weekends.

Let me know if he is in reception nd I can tell you more. Check the Elmira Threads lots of info there.

Are you planning a weekened or week day visit? Yes, outlet in the ladies room. Crowded on the weekend's, hospitality center opens at 8AM during the week and 7AM on the weekend. Get there early. Any other questions, I am sure there is a post somewhere, or feel free to askhere, or PM.

Momma Ann
07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
where my son went when he left there.

I assume he is in General Population--if he is in reception--the whole thing is different. In either case, if you can get there during the week it is much better. On weekdays for gen pop and reception and on weekends for general pop--the room has a kids area with toys and videos. BRING mQUARTERS. The change machines on either side rarely work. They let you touch a lot and you sit at a table. Just make sure to get there before 10 (it's actually 10:30 but be safe) or you will wait till 12 to get in because of count-that goes for weekdays and weekends.

Let me know if he is in reception nd I can tell you more. Check the Elmira Threads lots of info there.

jasonsonlyboo
07-11-2005, 02:04 PM
He's in general population. Thank ya'll for all the info thankzzzzzzzz

I'm going on sunday, and I'm taking the bus up.

Momma Ann
07-11-2005, 02:25 PM
after you check in with the guard--I hear they empty fast and Bring Quarters dimes and nickels theyare notorious for only taking exact change.

He's in general population. Thank ya'll for all the info thankzzzzzzzz

I'm going on sunday, and I'm taking the bus up.

Manzanita
07-11-2005, 05:29 PM
good info, ladies :) I moved this over here to save for future reference :)

Momma Ann
07-12-2005, 07:02 AM
all new york prisons upnorthservices.com

B.G
07-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Who do I need to speak to about my FRP's????

Its been 10 months and nothing!
I know my husband is suppose to complete a class, but they have not placed him in one yet. I gotta get on somebody's a$$!!!!!

B.G

Ken'sWife
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Call the counselor? Has your husband applied? Have you been officially denied? If yes, appeal and then start with facility and move on to Albany. If no, then you can only call the facility and find out where the application is and what is going on with it. If your husband has not applied, tell him to. Even if he thinks that you will be denied. You have got to start somewhere.

B.G
07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
We are approved but they are giving him a hard time with this class he needs to take. They tell him he's on a waiting list, but people that got married after us are in the class already. Am I making sense?

Pshhhhhhh counselor?.....she keeps giving me the runaround!

B.G

Manzanita
07-20-2005, 05:36 PM
He has to finish that program, that is why you have not heard back, when he finishes then you can apply for a date since you have been approved, but I was under the impression that approval is based on those programs being done first. Then you are good to go, why has he not finished yet? He has to be proactive, tell him to push for that program.

B.G
07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
That might be the case. Either way it is the class that is delaying our visit. He is pushing as much as he can w/o causing problems. Now its time for me to push, cuz they are giving him the run around. Thats the next step.

B.G

PRETTYJAY1223
09-28-2005, 07:57 PM
how long is the ride from newyork city to elimra?
could anyone help me?:)

Momma Ann
09-29-2005, 08:51 AM
or so

PRETTYJAY1223
09-29-2005, 11:41 AM
oh okay thank you:)

PRETTYJAY1223
10-08-2005, 11:07 PM
is anyone going up to elmira by free bus the 23rd of this month

msdrea03
10-18-2005, 06:18 PM
i need to find a way to get to elmira. he just got transferred from sing sing. im soo down i searched the transportation page but i didnt see many posts regarding elmira. im feeling a bit discouraged, i finally got used to things at sing sing and then hes moved outta there. the whole feeling of a new environment and all im scared. sorry ladies i needed to vent before i bursted out in tears..CAN SOMENE PLEASE HELP ME!! i think prison gap goes to elmira but i hear nothing but bad things about them and i dont wanna use it. is there any other services that goes to elmira??greyhound, plane, amtrack anything....pleaseeeee:(

msdrea03
10-18-2005, 07:12 PM
i was wondering what transportation do you use to get to elmira. my loved one just got transferred..and i cant seem to find any info. any bus services that were good experiences would be really appreciated. he is getting transferred from sing sing will that mean he will be in reception or at elmira...whats the difference btwn emlira facility and elmira reception...thanks

msdrea03
10-18-2005, 09:16 PM
do inmates in elmira have a different address for mail?

OfficerFriendly
10-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Yup, each one of them will have a different cell number :-) Sorry, I couldn't resist! It all goes to the same box at the post office and gets sorted by the mailroom people. It does help them a lot though if you put their DIN number and cell location on the envelope.

CO1989

haswtch
10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
the DOC website lists all the prison PO boxes for inmate mail

msdrea03
10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
ok i see i dont know his cell # at elmira. i wrote a letter tonight im feeling a bit down. i did include his din#. not sure if hes at elmira yet he got transferred today:(

Manzanita
10-19-2005, 05:38 AM
You do not need his cell number.

you need the facility address and his DIN#. Elmira Address is listed here and you can ge his DIN # from nydocs. Have you tried those?

Manzanita
10-19-2005, 05:38 AM
I moved these posts here, as they pertain to Elmira, read above. :)

OfficerFriendly
10-19-2005, 07:57 AM
No, you don't HAVE to have the cell number, I was making it as a suggestion to help the mailroom people to do their job faster. Those people literally go through thousands of pieces of mail everyday so your loved one can get his mail faster.

CO1989

msdrea03
10-19-2005, 08:42 AM
thanks for the info on the mail. i sent it out last night. im really having a hard time today i was sppose to go see him but im stuck home because yesterday he told me today he was gettin transferred to elmira. i called sing sing just in case for some odd reason they didnt put him on the bus i would ran up there asap. but no luck guidance told me he was already on the bus :( . i still need to find a way to elmira seems ike the only buses i know of are prison gap and flambouyant. i dont wanna take these because i heard so many bad stories. im sooo exhausted i couldnt sleep last night :'(.

misheemoo4u
10-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Hello all I am new here and I am trying to send apackage to my man, he's in Elmira. I was thinking about using the website Upnorth Services. Does that site ship to Elmira/ should I use another site? I called and spoke with a counselor there and he is in general population and can receive packages. I wanted to surprise him with a few things, HELP PLEASE !!!!
Thank you

PowandVonne
10-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Question: I tried to send a book to my friends husband, and it was sent back to me with written on the envelope that that was a food package room or something like that. The writing was hard to make out. So...can I send an inmate a book at Elmira? If so, is there a specific address to send it to?? Thanks in advance.

Momma Ann
10-21-2005, 07:04 AM
the only package you can send him directly is a food package and that is only 2-20 lb. packages per year AND only after they are there 6 months. Of course the food package must comply with all the DOCS directives, (no glass, twist ties, etc.etc.)

You need to send books from a vendor--like Amazon-directly to them.

Mrs. G knows you might PM her-I think she said once she leaves books on visits--but not sure.

msdrea03
10-21-2005, 06:49 PM
does anyone know if i can bring a package up to elmira?? this will be my first visit i called up there and he is not in reception, he is in general population. the package i would like to bring doesn't consist of food just things like sweat pants and shirts and sanitary stuff like soap and deodorant.

Momma Ann
10-22-2005, 06:34 AM
I believe he can only get 2 packages a year from home (and that is what this would be considered) and that they can only be food, 20 lbs. each.

but call Elmira--make sure you say general population and ask. If you want to send deoderants and that kind of stuff and can't drop it off use upnorth, access catalog, netgrocer or any of the other vendors listed under the package thread.

Manzanita
10-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Also, there is LOTS of information on Elmira listed in this section on page 1, check them out!

Momma Ann
10-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Bring lots of change quarters, nicckels and dimes-change machines do not work a lot of the time and machines many times take only exact change

Get your food asap when you get in the room--if it is a weekend, machines get empty fast.

InLuvWithD
10-22-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a question my husband got transferred to Elmira yesterday from county. I called and asked them when he would be able to call me, they told me 24-72 hrs from when he got there, so I stayed home all day today to wait for his call, wouldn't you know the minute I run to the corner store he called. So I called back to see how many times he can call. The guy told me only once and that now I will have to wait til my number is on his calling list. Does anyone know how long that could take???? and how often he will be able to call me?

Momma Ann
10-23-2005, 06:37 AM
my son was also allowed to call when he took his shower if he finished fast enough.

I STRONGLY suggest you read through the whole thread I am giving you the link to for elmira reception--it will answer a lot of your questions--start towrd the end for newest info. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97952

Writing is the best way to communicate when in Elmira. I sent a short letter each day. Also, let him know, things will get better as he progresses from Reception to his permanent placement. But read the thread--it willhelp you help him.

InLuvWithD
10-24-2005, 10:44 PM
can someone tell me what is the latest time inmates at Elmira reception can call???

Momma Ann
10-25-2005, 07:25 AM
I received them as late as 8:30 PM when my son was there.

InLuvWithD
10-28-2005, 11:31 PM
ok I have looked in the other posts about Elmira and didn't see a answer I could call but the last couple times I have called they have been rude, so before I call maybe someone can answer this for me..can they have visits on Thanksgiving?? I want to go up there since I and my family will have some time off..and how many people can visit at one time?? he's in reception

MTSPRING
10-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Can inmates in Elmira Reception receive packages?

MTSPRING
10-30-2005, 03:12 AM
He's been in reception for over a month. I sent him a package containing long underwear, socks and sneakers and they returned it to the vendor.

Momma Ann
10-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I typed these in word for word from the guidelines my son got in Elmira reception-these are the specific Elmira reception guidelines and they are different-you must make sure the vendor has a receipt in the package too. If you complied with all of these and the package was still returned, call the facility, ask for the reception package room and go over what you sent article by article. They do have different color requirments than general population somaybe that was the problem? Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions--I know how frustrating it is--but when you get the first few packages in it gets easier--but I still have stuff bounced for dumb reasons from time to time.

You cannot receive ANY packages until the 15th day you are in the Reception Center. You cannot receive any packages except directly from a vendor until you are in Reception for 6 months--which rarely happens because this is a transition area. DO NOT CONFUSE WITH THE GENERAL POPULATION PRISON AT ELMIRA--THEY ARE DIFFERENT AND HAVE DIFFERENT RULES! If you call for information, ask the question--then ask them to look up the inmate by DIN and transfer you to the right part of the prison-otherwise you can and will get completely wrong guidance. But they are happy to answer questions--just make sure you specify the inmate DIN and work from there.

Once you are past your 2 weeks, you can receive as many non-food packages as you want from vendors only as long as they weigh less than 20 lbs. each and conform to the guidelines that follow. Food is 20 lbs./month. Wegman's on Grand Central will send your purchases from the store directly to the prison. At Wegman's they charge $10.55 for the extra service--but they also look at the items and tell you what won't fly--BUT they do not know the difference between what is allowed in Reception and what is allowed in General Population so use this list for Reception because IT IS DIFFERENT! Wegman's also seems to carry items specifically for the prison--such as some single serve dried beverage mixes.

Food: all food must be in commercially sealed packages. No glass or metal containers. No peanut butter or jellies. No home prepared foods. Cannot need refrigeration before of after opening.

Beverages: Single packs only. No platic containers.

Bread: Double wrapped packages only. No twist ties.

Candy: No alchohol filled. No gummies.

Cocoa: Dried single packs. No marshmallows.

Coffee: Single packs only.

Creamers: Single packs only.

Milk: Dried only. Single packs.

Cheese: Sliced or single block

Nuts: Without shells.

Pastry: Hermetically sealed pouches (like pop-tarts)

Snacks: Popcorn, potato chips, pretzels, cookies, crackers, and similar items

Soups: No styrofoam

Toilet items: no toothpaste

combs-no rat tails

Denture adhesive: Cream or powder

Lotions: Clear see-through plastic. no baby oil.

Mirrors: 8X10 plastic only

Finger toe nail clippers: 2" max.

Shampoo: Clear see through plastic

Soap: Bars only 10 per month max.

Soap Dish: plastic only

Toothbrush and holder: plastic only --no electric

Food Utensils: Soft plastic only(like rubbermaid) 1-bowl w/lid one quart; Cup no larger than 16 oz. one only; spoons plastic only; forks-plastic only

Tobacco products-must come from a vendor

Cigarettes: Must have NYS tax stamp. Two carton max.

Cigarette papers: allowed

Cigars-50 per month

Pipes: Plastic only--one piece only

Pipe cleaners: allowed

Chewing tobacco: Sealed plastic only (no cans)

Tobacco: Smoking-sealed containers--12 oz per month

Eductional Materials: no stamps. no envelops. no art supplies

Writing paper/notebooks: pads only (no spiral/wire bound)

Pencils: #2 lead only

Pens: No metal or flair tips. No red. Clear only.

Rulers: 12" plastic only

Magazines: no more tha 3 months old. Limit 25 in cell.

Books: No library books. Limit 25 incell.

Chess and Checkers: no wooden or magnetic. plastic only

Playing cards: sealed packs only

Photo albums-no metal parts

Needles and thread: green and white only.

Earmuffs: plastic head strap only.

Gloves: allowed

Handkerchiefs: white only

Shoelaces: allowed

Slippers: shower only.-flip flops

Socks: white only.

T-Shirts-white only

Underwear: Jockeys, boxers, winter. White only--no quilted.

Towels: no blue, black, green, orange or white. Limit 5.

Washcloths: no blue, black, gray, green, orange or white. Limit 5

Many religious items are also allowed--PM me if you want that list.

Check with your loved one if possible. They will tell you what they can get at the Commissary--and then you can fill in the rest that they need.
The stuff in italics I know they can get through the commissary.

msdrea03
11-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I will be going on my first visit to elmira this weekend. Since its a long ride i was wondering if i was able to bring any electronics. I willl be traveling with prison gap. I know at sing sing i was able to bring my cell phone and things it just had to be shut off and in the locker. I was curious how it worked at elmira. If i cant place my electronics in the locker, can i leave my belongings on the bus???will it be safe??? anyone have any idea???? please let me know....:o

NeNa
11-05-2005, 07:30 PM
yea u leave everything in the locker. u need a quarter for it though. the lockers there are pretty big, but u have to fit everything in the locker...meaning purses, bookbags, and even ur jackets. the visit room is inside the prison so ur not allowed anything but urself and money.
i wouldnt leave anything on a bus. i neva took a bus to see my man before...but i wouldnt trust it.
well any other questions just ask :D

msdrea03
11-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks nena...i called elmira and the guy told me not to bring any electronics!!! was it elmira you went to or is the officer just trying to make my life a bit more difficult:(

laflor
11-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Mami don't leave nothing on the bus, you can put it in the locker its okay no one has access to the lockers anyway. Only you and the facility so yes take your small electronics and just put it in the locker. I would listen to my music and carry with my cell phone and place it in there no problem.

msdrea03
11-07-2005, 09:31 AM
oh ok i see. i was confused because he just got moved to elmira and this would be my first visit. and when i called they said no electronics...ill call aggain thanks!

msdrea03
11-07-2005, 09:35 AM
i been trying to figure out if i am able to bring my cell phone to elmira...not on the visit just on the way up there and leave it in my locker...i know most correctional facilities allow this but i dont wanna be turned around because i have a cell phone. I called elmira and they said no i cant even bring it in the building ...thats crazy im scared to travel far without a cell phone what if something happens during the bus ride???? has anyone traveled to elmira and brung their cell phone?????

NeNa
11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
yea girl it was elmira! theres a sign on the door that says no electronics, but whateva lol. just put it in the locker and make sure it's off and u good. i used put my cell phone in there all the time. dont listen to that CO, just bring whatever and turn it off and put in in the locker.

just a heads up: in elmira they do have a drug scanner so just be aware of that. it's nothing big. all they do it wipe a cloth over the palms of ur hands and top of ur footwear (i had boots on) with another cloth and put it thru a machine and it can tell if u have drug residue (sp) on u. if ur good u can go to the visit, if not then i dont know what they'll do to u. just letting u know so if they "randomly" (yea right lol) select you u wont be surprized like i was.

NeNa
11-07-2005, 09:56 PM
drea - yes u can bring the cell phone. if ur scared about being turned away (which u wont) just put the phone in ur coat pocket before u go into the prison. if they cant see it how do they know u have it? also theres not a guard at the door checking people so dont worry so much. you'll be fine ma, just relax and concentrate on seeing ur loved one ;)

msdrea03
11-08-2005, 06:21 PM
thanks nena on the heads up on things....i guess ill just bring my cell phone....

BBsGirl
11-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm from Elmira and my boyfriend is currently in Chemung County Jail and will be moved to Elmira until he gets transferred to another facility. I know I can't visit him until after 2 weeks, but what can I expect when I visit him at ELmira? I've never visited anyone in prison. I do not know where to go or what to expect. Can anyone fill me in on specifics of visitations and where to go and what to expect? I visited many times at the jail, but this is a whole nother thing. I'm kinda nervous so if anyone could give me details i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Momma Ann
11-13-2005, 08:00 AM
always specify that he is in Elmira RECEPTION there are different rules that the regular side of Elmira called Elmira General population. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1109804#post1109804

PRETTYJAY1223
11-25-2005, 11:46 PM
i wanted to know abut the marriages in elimra could anyone give me information. and also does anyone go up there i will like to go but don't want to go by myself. so please pm me:) :thumbsup:

ccl1957
12-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I am so greatful I found this site - it is so informative. It is nice to know there are others out there that know what you are feeling. There are times I feel so alone in this situation. Thank you all for making me feel that I am not alone. My husband is in Elmira, don't know how long he is going to be there. He was sentenced to four yrs. I will probably not see him til he gets out as I don't drive and every dime I make goes to supporting our daughter. Thank God for the phone and the post office.

Manzanita
12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Thank God for the phone and the post office.

Welcome, and Amen to that one, thanks for mentioning that ;)

Mrs G

BabyStar99
12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I am new to this and I have a loved one in Elmira.I dont kno how long he will b there and neither does he this is the first time for me period with a loved one in jail any pointers for a newbee?

BabyStar99
12-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Does anyone kno if the inmates in Elmira can recieve phone call messages? The jail here in my hometown you can call and leave a message and then they can call you back. Is there anything like that there? Can they only call collect or can they get (buy) a phone card?

Momma Ann
12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
emergency (and they will check it out). He must call you. You need an account with MCI--search it on here and they will give you the right department and number to set it up. It is expensive and they can only call collect--no phone cards or any other options right now.

Momma Ann
12-21-2005, 04:02 PM
and you must have a land line-you have to set this up--he can't.

How do calls work for our loved ones?

For State Correctional Max and Medium facilities:

They must call you collect, basically MCI handles all the collect call in New York and calls are about $7.80-8.60 for 30 mts. You can call MCI, or you can call your local telephone company to have this turned on. I pay through my company Verizon.

The number for MCI is 800-844-6591 - Make sure you don't the have the caller block option/anonymous call rejection enabled on your phone. You may have to fax them proof of ID.

Or...

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100517 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100517)

Or call
Correctional Billing Services

WeepingRose
12-28-2005, 07:22 AM
For visitation at Elmira, does anyone know if there is a way around the 80 steps to get into the building. My loved ones parents are elderly (80+) with his mom just over pneumonia and 80 steps is too much for them and they really want to go visit their son. Any help would be appreciated. Thank u

Momma Ann
12-28-2005, 07:47 AM
just follow the driveway up to the entrance door, drop them off and then park--if everyone can't make it up the steps, then call the facility-there is probably handicapped parking somewhere on top of the hill.

WeepingRose
12-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank U Soooooo Much!!!!!!!

twhips
01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
does anyone know of any websites i can go to to get some pics or video of elmira correctional facility?

Momma Ann
01-13-2006, 07:40 AM
reasons--but PM me with any specific questions about it and I can help you. Esssentially, Elmira is on a hilll. The parking is at the bottom of the hill, unless you have a handicapped sticker. You have to go up a driveway or a million stairs to get up to the facility (the driveway route is easier by far). As you stand in front of the center doors where the statue is, facing the building, the weekday entrance for reception visiting and the all the time entrance for general population visiting, is to your left. It is marked, you go down a ramp and enter. The weekend entrance for Reception visiting is to your right-a double set of doors. Let me know if you need to know anything else.