05-27-2003, 09:38 PM
May 27

MISSOURI:

In Jefferson City, the state Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by a
death row inmate convicted of the 1994 slaying of a helpful motorist on
Interstate 70.

Allen Nicklasson, 30, of Kansas City had sought a new trial on claims his
attorneys provided ineffective counsel. The Missouri Supreme Court denied
his claims in a unanimous decision Tuesday.

Nicklasson was 1 of 3 people convicted for the Aug. 24, 1994,
execution-style killing of Richard Drummond, who provided a ride to the
trio after noticing their broken-down vehicle on the side of the highway.
Nicklasson was accused by authorities of being the triggerman.

Dennis Skillicorn, 43, of Kansas City also is on death row after being
convicted of 1st-degree murder in Drummond's death.

Timothy DeGraffenreid of Blue Springs, who was 18 at the time of the
murder, received a life prison sentence after pleading guilty to
2nd-degree murder. He led authorities to Drummond's body in a Lafayette
County field.

The state Supreme Court rejected Nicklasson's standard appeal in 1998. In
his latest appeal, Nicklasson claimed that his trial attorney should have
objected to a prosecutor's closing statement that it "doesn't matter"
whether Nicklasson was suffering from a mental disorder at the time of the
crime.

The Supreme Court said the statement was "inartfully phrased" but true,
because Nicklasson's alleged mental defect was just one consideration into
whether he had the mental capacity to be held criminally responsible for
his action.

The Supreme Court also denied a claim that Nicklasson's attorney was
ineffective for not challenging his court-ordered shackling during trial.
The judges said Nicklasson had been violent while in custody and added
that there was no evidence to suggest the restraint deprived Nicklasson of
his presumption of innocence.

Case is Nicklasson v. State of Missouri, SC84496.

(source: Associated Press)

deb
05-27-2003, 09:41 PM
:(

Deb

KRIS_NC
05-27-2003, 11:41 PM
THIS IS SO SAD....YOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS

peacetrails
05-28-2003, 12:30 AM
yes this is sad he will also be in my prayers we all feel so helpless when we can not do anything about what the court does and can really stick a knife through our heart just as well as theres if the courts could only see what they are doing i ask myself why a 100 times so much so wrong why kill when it has not brought down crime or violence why put away for life why why everyone makes mistakes and some are very truly sorry and want to do good but never given the chance this is so wrong hurts them and family members and alot of the time the vitems family members there is no right that i can see that has come out of this yet peace and love mary

TazManXP
10-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Allen Nicklasson doesn't deserve a second, third, no wait a fourth chance to kill again. Him and I lived together in Kansas City, MO. During this time I lived through the horror that this severly demented person might at anytime "snap" and take my life.

After 6 months he finally did "snap" and tried to take my life with a knive. This after taking him in on my very limited budget, and giving him everything that I could to help him get to the next day.

This phyco dreamed of starting a utopia that would generate people of his type, 6'2" blonde aggressive adrians. He always tried to worship a viking god, he was deranged. Why? I don't know, upbringing? Who cares. He didn't give one bit of respect to human life, therefore he doesn't deserve his.

Joy
10-25-2003, 01:42 AM
TazManXP, I do understand from your post that you have been hurt by this man and your feelings are very important. I would like to remind you though of the rules and regulations of PTO. These rules and regulations will be strictly adhered to which are put in place to PROTECT our members and not HURT them. We do not make excuses for anyone in prison or on Death Row. We are not here to judge anyone, but support them. There are many here who have family or friends on Death Row and we have enough to handle with the outside world.

Here are some of the rules that would explain what is and is not appropriate to post.

• PTO Community Purpose:
The purpose of the Prison Talk Online community is Prisoner & Family Support, Information and Assistance. While we welcome people with other view points seeking to learn more, anything beyond friendly questions will NOT be tolerated. PTO is not a forum open to debating whether or not anyone should be in prison, should prisoners and their families have rights, etc. Anyone who is hostile to our purpose will be immediately blocked from the community and all of their posts will be deleted. This will be the ONLY WARNING and no notice will be given.

• “Freedom of Speech”:
While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed. Posts and comments that are meant to incite conflicts between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited. PTO Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, close or delete any content found in this community. While this rarely, if ever happens, we will not tolerate individuals or groups creating problems with the overall membership.

Please be careful as to what you post. If you have any questions, comments or problems, feel free to contact me or any other moderator/administrator via PM and we will be glad to try to help in any way.

Joy

Kyla
10-25-2003, 02:39 AM
Tazman, Im so sorry that you feel this way. You did state though alot in your post, that he did have a mental illness. There is just so much stigma around this, and actually, a mental illness is like diabetes, it is treatable. Im sorry you had a bad experience though that has left you feeling the way you do. This should be taken into account before taking a mans life. I dont judge people and there views, so please dont take this in the wrong context. He is in the prison system, and not in the community, but taking his life is a hell of a thing that any man can do to anybody. It isnt the answer. From what you stated, I wish you went to appeals court to tell your side of the story. He may of got the help he needed.

dkr55
10-25-2003, 08:49 AM
WE ARE VERY SORRY FOR THE BAD ENCOUNTER YOU HAD WITH THIS MAN,BUT SURELY YOUR HEART IS NOT SO HARD THAT IT WANTS TO SEE ANYONE DIE,TAZMANXP,I DONT KNOW YOU BUT I REALLY DON'T BELEIVE YOU MEAN THAT OR WHY WOULD YOU BE ON PTO IN THE FIRST PLACE. I WISH I COULD HELP YOU GET PAST THE HURT AND ANGER, MY EX TRIED A NUMBER OF TIMES TO KILL ME AND I SWEAR TO THIS DAY HE IS MENTAL BUT WANTING HIM TO DIE NEVER. I CAN FORGIVE ALTHOUGH I WILL NEVER FORGET.

TazManXP
10-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Maybe I did come off the wrong way, however multiple responces say that taking a mans life is wrong. I wonder if any of you have read the accounts of what Allen did to each of his victims. Including the ones that he wasn't convicted of. There was a man, who was gay, that Allen left tied up in his own bed. He left him there to suffer and die. This after luring this human being to him by acting as a male prostitute.
Then we have his next victim that also Allen exscaped prosicution, an elderly man that lived in the Midwest Hotel for 25 years. Allen strangled him with one arm, hovering his dying body above the old mans bed until he breathed his last breathe. Why? To rob him of $50.00. This murder I was blamed for and interigate by the FBI for three days over. This occuring one week after him attemping to take my life.

I will give you all something here...Western Missouri Mental Institution held Allen for 96 hours after he tried to kill me. Their head guy, whoever he maybe, called me the day I was released outta the hospitol and asked me what I thought that they should do with him. At that time I told them to help him and keep him there. I told them that he would kill again, and that prison wouldn't help him, he needed further help. However they didnt' listen, and an additional 4 victims that they account for died. Needlessly. I honestly believe that there are more. I spoke with Allen and even forgave him after our inccident; this is when he spoke of the others, the missing people that lost thier lives when they met Allen and did nothing but tried to help him, and for that they lost thier lives.

I do agree that he has mental problem, however the system blew thier chance and wasted innocent lives. This I do think someone else besides Allen should pay a severe price, I just don't know who.

I hope that I don't offend anyone, I have just been holding this in for many many years. I saw his partner in crime, Dennis Skillicorn on my local new channel and everything came rushing back, all the memories, all the pain, all my fears and anger.

Kyla
10-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Taz, I dont know what to say. I think I judged you the wrong way as well. I understand mental health issues more than you know, I ACTUALLY have a degree in forensic mental health. They never intervene in time, and so many times, the situation esculates, like what happened with Allen. It makes me think, that if they kept him, and treated him, and evaluated him, this wouldnt of happened to these innocent people that he killed. (and even scared , like you) I think they are alot of the blame on the whole situation. What Allen did was wrong, and I think he should be punished for what he did. But I also believe that a murder for a murder isnt the answer. That is my opinion, cause I personally dont agree with the death penalty what so ever. There are people here that have loved ones on Death Row, that have maintained there innocence from day one, where they have been railroaded by the prosecution withough any physical, DNA, or any evidence, just some manufactured testimonies. This happens alot to people on death row, so that leaves us the question.... which ones are innocent and arent. We kill a equal amount of innocent people as we do guilty... and I ask myself, Is this right?? I have to say no. They have all different classifications in the prison systems, without the need for the death penalty. Anyway, I really dont think its up to me to get into a debate over this, but I do pray in my heart, that you find the comfort and peace that you are seeking. I also apologize if I came across a little strong to you.

MrCoffee
10-25-2003, 07:42 PM
A part of the issue with mental illness, is the the person has some responsibility to realize that help is needed. It would have been more compassionate to have committed him in the first place, but as TazManXP said, the system and Allen both blew their chance. Allen blew it for refusing to accept the help that the hospital tried to give him. The system blew it by not realizing that Allen needed help before he went on that killing rampage.

The person who bears the ultimate responsibility, though, is Allen himself. He should have heeded the warnings from friends, and got help but he chose not to. So now, Allen will need to mount a heroic effort to to save himself. Apparently, it looks like he is a bit too dangerous to be in a psychiatric facility, and he probably doesn't care.

I close with this: You can float a life raft to someone who's drowning. But if the person doesn't accept it, then it's that person who suffers the result. Allen: Good luck, you're going to need it when dealing with a criminal justice system that has no compassion for people with psychiatric issues. If it were my choice, I would have opted for the hospitality of that psychiatric facility and the pills from my psychiatrist instead of a death sentence.

MrCoffee

Kyla
10-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Mr. Coffee, that is a very good point. The thing is though, that mental health can indeed, keep people there involuntary. You ask a person with a mental illenss what they want, there gonna tell you, nothing, cause most believe that there is nothing wrong with them to begin with. Like Tazman, I do feel fo you, they asked you what you wanted to do. That is alot to put on a person, especially when the person involved was a health care proffessional to begin with. Like, I will share something with you. My own husband suffers a mental illness. I knew it right away, I tried EVERYTHING in my power to get him mental health treatment. I even went and got a court order to have him put in mental health. They told me, after I humiliated myself with my husbands personal information, that it was "irrellavent". I still stood my grounds, and fought the system. Then one morning, he woke up aggitated. He overdosed on medicaiton, enough that would probably kill you and me. Then he left home, and when I tried to intervene again, I called a ambulance and the police to get him involuntary mental health treatment. (The police can do this). Instead, they sprayed peppers spray all over his genitals, in his eyes, shackled him, and through him in a padded cell. The next morning, my husband had a charge sheet longer than my toilet paper roll. I was lucky this didnt esculate any further, but they did put him in prison, where it took me 5 months to get him out, and put in a lock up in a mental health ward. Guess what!! MY husband is schizophrenic. He is now on medicaiton, and is now functioning totally well.He also has to stand trial for crimes he doesnt remember doing. I thank god those crimes werent as serious as what Allen did. I work in the industry, but fighting it was the hardest. I know this is totally off track, but I do have a compassion for people with mental illnesses, and I know from ALOT of people, that they can be rehabilitated. I think its sad that these professionals have to wait until something so horrific happens to step in. And yes, now a man is fighting to stay alive, when he probably had a chemical imbalance in his brain. Im not stating he should walk free for what he has done, but I do think it needs to be revaluated.

TazManXP
10-26-2003, 01:14 AM
I am saddened to read your letter Kyla. Battles such as you went through are very rough and take a strong will to go through. I hope you the best in your fight. And I feel that if Allen has this type of support growing up, things might have been different.

I am thinking about writing Allen a letter and seeing how he is doing. I just have my doubts if I want to travel down this lane that has opened up since seeing Skillicorn on the news. I was also thinking about writing a documentary about what Allen and I experienced together. I wonder if it could shed some light upon his battle.

Kyla
10-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Tazman, I have thought so much about this thread. I am so sorry for what you did encounter with Allen, I think what you went through was a horrible experience that I couldnt myself even imagine going through. It does sound like you are healing though. Writing a documentary will more than likely heal your pain, I find writing heals me. I cant suggest if writing to Allen will help you heal or not, that is something that you will need to decide. I really do hope though that things are going to get better for you.

MrCoffee
10-26-2003, 02:53 PM
The moral of this story? If a friend or family member tells you that you need psychiatric help, HEED the warning and get help. It could save your life!

MrCoffee

Kyla
10-26-2003, 03:09 PM
MrCoffee, very well put :) Or save there lives to.

louise conrad
10-28-2003, 08:48 PM
I WORK WITH PPL WITH MENTAL ILLNESS AND ITS EVEN HARD FOR US IN THE FILED TO UNDERSTAND EACH MENTAL ILLNESS THE UP AND DOWNS. THE ON GOING ROLLAR COSTER RIDE THEY ARE ON. THE DAILY TRAUMA THEY GO THROUGH.. WE HAVE ALL KINDS OF SIGNS THAT WE HAVE TO WATCH FOR TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT AND THE PERSON SOMETIMES FROM THEM SELF...I AM SORRY FOR YOUR PAIN AND EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WENT THROUGH.....

MrCoffee
10-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Kyla, I was referring to the inmate's life being saved, as well as that of other people. A life time of incarceration is just not worth it. This man is most likely going to die, simply because he fell through the cracks.

MrCoffee