View Full Version : HB 5129/5130 (Bringing back good time to MI) Discussion Thread

mrsdragoness
10-25-2005, 05:19 AM
The bill to remove Truth In Sentencing and reinstate good time for Michigan Inmates is STILL in committee. Rumors within our prisons are running rampant including that the bill has been passed and is on Granholm's desk. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Here's the link to HB5130 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2005-HB-5130) . As you can see, it hasn't even gone up for vote yet.

If you have not written a letter to the Senators and House Reps, I suggest you do so. Form letters are not what they want to hear. They want to hear real life stories and sound reasons why TIS does not work! If you don't know who your Representative is just check the legislative website - it also tells you how to address the letter.

All discussions from this point on will be in this thread. Any additional threads started will be merged into this one.

WRITE TO YOUR LEGISILATORS, HAVE YOUR MOTHER WRITE, AND YOUR FATHER, AND YOUR BROTHER AND YOUR SISTER. THEN HAVE YOUR AUNTS, UNCLES, GRANDPARENTS, NEIGHBORS, FRIENDS, COWORKERS AND YOUR CATS AND DOGS SEND LETTERS TOO! THE MORE INFORMATION THEY GET, THE MORE ATTENTION THIS BILL WILL GET!

waata99
10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanx MrsD! Your diligence helps! It is a very important step towards sanity in a very IN-sane system. Where is there any incentive to behave under the current program? (Other than minding what your mama taught you...). Sometimes you wonder if anybody in the capital in lansing is awake!

dmpdbd
10-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Here again is the full list printed out of all the House Judiciary Committee Members. When you write about Bills 5129, 5130, and 5131, which must be passed as a package, do not forget Bill 5224 which makes parole mandatory if no major tickets. EVERYBODY PLEASE WRITE THOSE LETTERS...................

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE

William VanRegenmorter, Committee Chair
E-mail Address: wmvanreg@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-8697
Lansing Office Mailing Address:
N1093 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Tonya Schuitmaker, Majority Vice Chair
E-mail Address: tonyaschuitmaker@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5940
N1099 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Gary Newell
E-mail Address: repgarynewell@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-6979
N1191 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Mike Nofs
E-mail Address: mikenofs@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5761
N0996 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
John Stakoe
E-mail Address: johnstakoe@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5843
N0893 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Kevin Elsenheimer
E-mail Address: kevinelsenheimer@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-1841
S1389 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Rick Jones
E-mail Address: rickjones@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-6589
N1090 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

David Law
E-mail Address: davidlaw@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-8361
S0888 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Tory Rocca
E-mail Address: toryrocca@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5903
N0794 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Alexander Lipsey, Minority Vice Chair
E-mail Address: alexanderlipsey@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5762
N0994 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Paul Condino
E-mail Address: paulcondino@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5880
N0799 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Stephen Adamini
E-mail Address: stephenadamini@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-9366
S1488 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Bill McConico
E-mail Address: repbillmcconico@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-8929
S0589 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Steve Bieda
E-mail Address: stevebieda@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5906
S0789 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Virgil Smith
E-mail Address: virgilsmith@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-6404
S0686 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

DJB's Wife
10-25-2005, 07:08 PM
dmpdbd - Thanks for the addresses. This will make it easier for all to voice there opinion.

queenwdg
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
The bill to remove Truth In Sentencing and reinstate good time for Michigan Inmates is STILL in committee. Rumors within our prisons are running rampant including that the bill has been passed and is on Granholm's desk. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Here's the link to HB5130 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2005-HB-5130) . As you can see, it hasn't even gone up for vote yet.

If you have not written a letter to the Senators and House Reps, I suggest you do so. Form letters are not what they want to hear. They want to hear real life stories and sound reasons why TIS does not work! If you don't know who your Representative is just check the legislative website - it also tells you how to address the letter.

All discussions from this point on will be in this thread. Any additional threads started will be merged into this one.

WRITE TO YOUR LEGISILATORS, HAVE YOUR MOTHER WRITE, AND YOUR FATHER, AND YOUR BROTHER AND YOUR SISTER. THEN HAVE YOUR AUNTS, UNCLES, GRANDPARENTS, NEIGHBORS, FRIENDS, COWORKERS AND YOUR CATS AND DOGS SEND LETTERS TOO! THE MORE INFORMATION THEY GET, THE MORE ATTENTION THIS BILL WILL GET!

Hey Everybody,

Today I called the office of the Chairman of the Committee on Judiciary, State Representative William VanRegenmorter. I actually talked to his assistant Jamie DuShane. When I asked her about the bill and when she thought it would be on the agenda to go before the Committee, her statement was this: The State Representative is against HB 5129-5130. He is against them personally and judiciously, because HE DRAFTED the Truth-In-Sentence bill that was made law December 15, 1998. She said that these new bills are in direct contrast to the TIS law. This states, that no inmate will be eligible for parole unless they have served time to their ERD.

Then I got to thinking and asked her was the TIS bill retro-active, she said as far as she knew it WAS NOT retroactive, meaning the TIS law did not apply to convictions and prison time beginning before 1998, but that she would look into and let me know. I also told her that in each bill there were stipulations for violent and non-violent convictions. Unfortunately “violent” offenders even if HB 5129-5130 DID pass, they would still have a hard way to go, because part of the legislation that is presented in these bills is that once the “good time credits” and “disciplinary credits” have all been tallied to the maximum and the minimum and the TRUE parole date was known, for violent offenders two more steps would need to be done. A letter would need to be sent to the prosecuting and/or the presiding judge that handed down the original sentence would have to sign off on the “violent” offender’s early release.

So when you read the legislation please make sure you know what MCL your loved one was convicted under, because there are different stipulations for different crimes.

She did say that they have been receiving a larg amount of calls in support of the bill. She said that if they continued to receive calls Representative VanRegenmorter would LOOK at the bill, but as it stands right now he won't even LOOK at it because he is against it and since he is the CHAIR person and decides what goes before the committee he can pretty much do what he chooses.

My sggesstion along with MrsDragon, is to CALL...CALL...CALL Here is the number:

1-517-373-8900 (ask for Jamie DuShane) Tell her that you would like her to take your name and put down that you are in support of HOUSE BILL 5129-5130. Have everyone you know call. Call until you get her personally. Leave a message also if you like, but CALL HER:thumbsup:

mrsdragoness
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Calling them will not endear them to folks... Writing personal letters will get more done and said. I've talked to my state reps office many times and they always ask me to follow up my phone calls in writing.

queenwdg
10-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Calling them will not endear them to folks... Writing personal letters will get more done and said. I've talked to my state reps office many times and they always ask me to follow up my phone calls in writing.

While I know calling them won't do everything, it doesn't hurt to get your name on the list, but following up is always best. Being bombarded with phone calls AND letters, eventually either your phone call will be returned or your letter will be acknowledged. Each and every avenue must be explored from the phone to the mail, to going there in person if you are able. Here is the address to the Committee Clerk, make sure you put in the bottom left hand corner "Committee on Juduciary" so it can be forwared to the correct person.

Committee Clerk Office
Anderson House
Office Building
124 North Capitol, 3-South
PO Box 30014
Lansing, MI
48909-7514

Phone:
517-373-0015

dmpdbd
10-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Ladies - Please Check Earlier In This Thread. I Have Given You The Addresses Of Every Member Of The Judiciary Committee. Please Please Please - Write To Each And Every One Of Them. ..

KarrieMI
10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Well this is what I recieved about a reply and then I had another one contact me and told me that they would like to talk to me about this and asked for my phone number! and I sent it but havent heard anything Yet!

Dear Ms. ---:

This is Jami Des Chenes, Legislative Aide to the Rep. Van Regenmorter. I am taking the liberty of replying on his behalf to thank you for contacting him and to let you know I will print your email for his review, along with others received on this topic. I can assure you he will have your concerns regarding this legislation in mind. Thanks again for writing.

Jami Des Chenes
Legislative Aide to Rep. Van Regenmorter

Keeping my fingers crossed!

KarrieMI

queenwdg
10-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Well this is what I recieved about a reply and then I had another one contact me and told me that they would like to talk to me about this and asked for my phone number! and I sent it but havent heard anything Yet!

Dear Ms. ---:

This is Jami Des Chenes, Legislative Aide to the Rep. Van Regenmorter. I am taking the liberty of replying on his behalf to thank you for contacting him and to let you know I will print your email for his review, along with others received on this topic. I can assure you he will have your concerns regarding this legislation in mind. Thanks again for writing.

Jami Des Chenes
Legislative Aide to Rep. Van Regenmorter

Keeping my fingers crossed!

KarrieMI

She told me the samething also. That was a couple of days ago, and I haven't heard anything yet. When did she get your email and tell you that she would get back with you? :D

Teed-N-Teed
10-29-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't know if this is of any help to those who's loved one is in for a violent crime, My husband is and he has been flopped twice saying he's a threat to society. I found this, Violent Offender Incarceration/Truth In Sentencing
Patricia L. Caruso, Director
Michigan Department of Corrections
206 East Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48909

Tel: 517/373-3425
Fax: 517/335-0287
E-mail: kosinrd@michigan.gov (kosinrd@michigan.gov)

queenwdg
10-29-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't know if this is of any help to those who's loved one is in for a violent crime, My husband is and he has been flopped twice saying he's a threat to society. I found this, Violent Offender Incarceration/Truth In Sentencing
Patricia L. Caruso, Director
Michigan Department of Corrections
206 East Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48909

Tel: 517/373-3425
Fax: 517/335-0287
E-mail: kosinrd@michigan.gov (kosinrd@michigan.gov)

Just curious if you don't mind sharing, what is your husband's MCL classification(s), and what is his ERD and his Max out. You can get his MCL classification(s) from his profile on the MDOC "offendar look-up page.

Teed-N-Teed
10-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Queenwdg, My husbands MCL class is 750.84, his erd was 23 months which would of been aug of 2004, and his max is 10 yrs. I don't mind sharing info of my husband because i believe in him and i know he was home that day it happened to this person, but we hired a shi**y lawyer who screwed us.

queenwdg
10-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Queenwdg, My husbands MCL class is 750.84, his erd was 23 months which would of been aug of 2004, and his max is 10 yrs. I don't mind sharing info of my husband because i believe in him and i know he was home that day it happened to this person, but we hired a shi**y lawyer who screwed us.

Well his MCL as you probably know classifies him as a "violent offender' so like I said even if HB 5130 passes, along w/ my fiancee' it will be a little harder for them to get out early as oppose to "non-violent" offenders but not impossible, just a lot more leg work on our part to get theri cases looked. Is he a repeat offender? unfortunately my finacee' is. Even though he sentence was BULLS*&^&, his previous offenses will make them posssiblu think twice, but this new law will shed more light on an inmates good behavior on the "inside" than their bad behavior on the "outside"

Mammiesita
11-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Good morning all. Well this past weekend I wrote to all 15 members of the House Of Representative Judiciary Committee. The people that dmpdbd has listed above.
I've emailed them all as well and today I plan on calling them. Just tryin to due my part. I've asked a few friends to write as well and a few people that I know that are locked up here in Michigan told them to have their family & friends write as well it's a start.

dmpdbd
11-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Way to go Mammiesita!

KarrieMI
11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Well I recieved another response to the letter that I wrote about good time and I was wondering if anyone else recieved the same generic letter LOL
here it is
"As a former jail administrator and Sheriff, I have had extensive experience with inmates and controlling their behavior. I believe that both "good time" and "disciplinary time" are necessary to keep good order. ........Rep. Rick Jones "
Well we will have to see what happens on this subject!
Oh my guy is classified as a violent offender also! C'ome On Michigan Already!

KarrieMI

klove
11-02-2005, 11:30 PM
This is the same response that I got

dmpdbd
11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
A "form" type letter or not - at least they have acknowledged our concern and know we are out here. Keep on trucking gals - get those letters out to the Judiciary Committee. If these bills won't help your man, they may help somebody else's man. Lend your support. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

StacysWar030
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I will be writing a letter this weekend. I don't care who my rep is, I'm sending mine to ALL the legislators :)

Stacy

KMJoyner
11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Do they have a proposed date yet on voting on these bills?

queenwdg
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Do they have a proposed date yet on voting on these bills?

I called today and was told there was no date set yet. I've been calling everyother day for the last two weeks and keep getting the same answer. Now, when I call State Representative Van Regenmorter's office and ask for his assistant, ironically she answers the phone and when I ask for her, she acts likes its not her and puts me directly into voicemail.

dmpdbd
11-03-2005, 07:49 PM
This is not meant to be critical, but go gently Queenwdg. We want to be persuasive but not get anybody's back up. Perhaps you could limit your calling to once a week. Just a suggestion. It does take a while for bills to get on the agenda, amended or not, voted on and then out of committee. I know we would all like it to have happened yesterday, but unfortunately that is not how the process works. Hang in there.

queenwdg
11-03-2005, 09:29 PM
This is not meant to be critical, but go gently Queenwdg. We want to be persuasive but not get anybody's back up. Perhaps you could limit your calling to once a week. Just a suggestion. It does take a while for bills to get on the agenda, amended or not, voted on and then out of committee. I know we would all like it to have happened yesterday, but unfortunately that is not how the process works. Hang in there.

No offensive taken:) . I just know that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I have learned from experience if you do't let your voice be heard in a situation, change may not come. While I respect what you are saying, in the spirit of the Mother of Civil Rights, God rest her soul, we cannot afford to let them think for ONE minute that WE are not serious about change. Not just for our loved ones, but for all those that deserve another chance.

I figure as long as I am getting put into VM, I will keep leaving messages along with everyone else, they will eventually put the bill on the agenda. Yes, it may take time, but just imagine if our ancestors said "slow down, let's go from protesting everyday to once a week", where would we be today?

No disrespect meant to you AT ALL, but our current generation is scared to stand up for what they want and deserve. My ancestors were beaten, chased by dogs trained to attack African Americans, sprayed with high powered fire hoses, hit over the head with the bunt of guns yet they still perservered. Where is the fight in all of us, when did we become such a scary generation. If I had the ability to walk to the Capitol EVERYDAY I would. Where is the ZEAL, the FIRE, the anger at injustice. I'm not saying storm the capitol and burn it down at least not literally, but we can burn it down or burn it into submission by our consistent phone calls, letters emails and anything that we can do if we can't go there personally.

SLOW DOWN....I don't think so. I am calling and fighting with the spirit that those before me put there especially for ME, YOU and all those that want to fight the good fight. They will hear my voice everyday as long as it takes. It's not like they can change the phone number, they can't claim harassment or stalking. I am a tax paying citizen that is suppoting something I believe in. As long as I have a home phone, a cell phone and email they will hear from me.

Just to show you I have been this way since conception, my very first job I received at 15 was at Little C's pizza. I called then Manger 2xs a day for 3 weeks, that last day of the third week, her words to me were "if I give you a job will you stop calling me?". I stayed there for 3 yrs and when I left I was assistant manager. That experience right there showed me that if I don't give up I can either make a change or get what it is that I want. I might not get it RIGHT there, but if I keep going and have faith I will get it, OR make that change. So with all due respect I will keep calling everyday and do MY part to fight the good fight and when this battle is won, I will move onto the next one.:D

Joseph Perez
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Actually his classifications do not make much difference, since the parole board has a dislike for assaultive offenders from the moment they review the file. The way to change all this is not through the Legislature, who will not unravel TIS, which has cost the state upwards of more than a billion dollars in legal education training for attorneys, judges, judicial system in general, changes to statutory framework, etc. The correct way to challenge all of this is the parole system. Of course you have to go to the Legislature, but invoke the Michigan Constitution, which allows the people of Michigan to force the Legislature to accept what is given to them, and also to repeal laws. Invoke this tool, and there will be a difference. The people of this state much take charge of the Legislature through the use of the Michigan Constitution; otherwise, you will never see the change you desire.

Joseph Perez
11-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I will be writing a letter this weekend. I don't care who my rep is, I'm sending mine to ALL the legislators :)

Stacy
Continue plugging at them, because this will only work if you band together as a whole. Nothnig will be accomplished separately. "United we stand, divided we fall." Those words had a lot of meaning then, and today.

klove
11-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Well it looks like our letters are doing some good keep them going. I see that the have HB 5129 & 5130 on the table. See Michigan Legistlation.

dmpdbd
11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Klove: Can you post a direct link to where you found this info. I do not see it up for the next meeting in November.

StacysWar030
11-09-2005, 06:39 AM
queenwdg, you keep goimg the way tou're going. I am absolutely inspired by your energy. :)

Stacy

all4darrin
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Thannks so much for bringing this discussion up _ I have been searching for the details on this bill for 6 months! Finally - a place that has the information! I will be emailing all addresses as well as snail mailing and maiking phone calls :-) Thanks again.

Fredjr's wifey
11-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I am very new here, and reason for coming was for this purpose looking into the TIS that my husband keeps asking me for. I am quite naive I will admit, and not the most "booksmart", but each time I read these threads on TIS, Lobbying keeps coming to mind...Isnt that another way of being heard?

norma_jean58
11-26-2005, 04:37 PM
hi there everyone...i'm new to this group and would like to introduce myself...my name is norma and i live in northwestern lower michigan, very close to traverse city. my husband was just transferred to pugsley correctional facility not quite 2 weeks ago. something i've been bugging every warden about since i've known joe, which is almost 3 yrs. now, i have found if you bug them enough, you will eventually get results!! he's been hearing lots of rumors too, about this TIS thing, and he says it goes into effect january 1st, but according to this website , it must not be true??well. now i can set him straight, and start writing to these reps, one of them kevin elsenheimer, is actually from my town...norma;)

whisper248
11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
You are exactly right, there is no truth to it, it hasn't even made it to the table yet in the judiciary committee. All that you have heard is just rumors. keep writing those reps. is the best advice.

StacysWar030
12-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Norma, my husband is also at Pugsley :)

It's all just rumors right now :( We are backing this bill w/ all that we have. We need everyone's help here. THanks for joining & writing :)

Stacy

yhairston
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey there everyone!

Okay I definetly want to help my husband is doing year 13 of a 20 year sentence. He is in for a violent crime his MCL classifications are 750.227 and 750.317. He is a first time offender and just recently got anouther 12 month flop. I need help with what to say to these committee members when I write the letters? Help someone!

LeeS269
12-02-2005, 05:01 PM
House Bill 5224
Anyone heard any news about this?

dmpdbd
12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Still in committee like all the others. However, you must realize that just because it has been referred to the Judiciary Committe it does not mean it will ever get on the agenda and be heard or voted on. THAT IS WHY IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT WE WRITE THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE AND KEEP ON WRITING!

LeeS269
12-12-2005, 09:44 AM
The rumors are FLYING on the other side of the wall. The inmates at Charles Egelere Reception and Guidance center (sounds like somewhere you'd actually like to go doesn't it?... don't believe it!) in cell block 7... where they wait to be sent to their prison everyone including guards are saying Good Behavior passed and goes into effect Jan 1, 2006.

It is possible that Granholm made it an executive order or that it's been voted on and not posted to the website... I'll try writing the Governor and get it straight from the horses ass.... I mean mouth. ;-)

Chris' Gal
12-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I'll try writing the Governor and get it straight from the horses ass.... I mean mouth. ;-)

:haha: Ok Lee...that is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh, in an otherwise dull afternoon. :clap:

mrsdragoness
12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
The Gov can't overturn the Law. The bills are STILL in committee.. West Shoreline was wound up again last night as well and unfortunately I had to burst their bubbles once again.

LeeS269
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
The Gov can't overturn the law, BUT she can issue Executive Orders for things like telling the parole board to parole on ERD unless there is clear and present danger to society.

So work on making it clear that your inmate is not a danger to anyone!

mrsdragoness
12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Actually the parole board is churning out a lot of paroles right now.. far more than a year ago, but they are doing it quietly.

LeeS269
12-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Quietly, Loudly, blast my eardrums!!!! just let the good ones out!!!!!!

zhane
12-13-2005, 09:02 AM
They can quietly or loudly parole my husband!

mrsdragoness
12-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Actually, just my :twocents: but I think as families we are much better off having these paroles granted quietly so the public doesn't get their dander up. We are a minority here and if the public gets wind of lots of paroles being handed out, the crapola is going to hit the fan ;) The lower we are on the public radar, the better it will be for our loved ones getting those paroles!

whisper248
12-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I agree Mrs. D you do have a good point in that matter. Just keep letting them come home, that is the bottom line.
Blessings

dmpdbd
12-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Mrs. D does that mean you think we should stop pushing for the good time legislation to be passed. Personally, I don't think it is going to make it out of committee this time, but I believe Representative Cushingberry will introduce it again. My guy and a few others at Lakeland think it will die in committee also. I for one intend to continue to let the representatives in the legislature and on the judiciary committee know that I am still out here begging for changes. This not only affects my guy, but more importantly fiscal responsibility affects my 8 grandchildren's education and future. What do you Michigan PTO Members think?

mrsdragoness
12-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Absolutely NOT.. we need to keep pushing for it to get to a vote. What I mean by staying quiet is about the paroles that are being granted right now. If the public were to get wind of more paroles than usual being granted, there would be some negative publicity out there then the Parole Board would start being stricter again. I don't want to see that and I don't think the MDOC wants that!

We need to get our voices out there to get this up for a vote!

Fredjr's wifey
12-13-2005, 08:51 PM
I went to visit my hubby a week ago, and was telling him about these bills having not passed...and what he told me is that the warden where he is at, plus his councelor has said that the good time is coming back Jan. 1st, 2005. He was told this directly from his counselor...its a darn shame that these people are geeking the inmates up like that...My husband wont listen to me about it now...I just gave up in trying to explain anymore...I atleast got him to say he would wait and see...

whisper248
12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I dont understand why the MDOC is telling them this, and getting their hopes up, and especially the counselors, that is just crazy.

Daves Mom
12-13-2005, 10:58 PM
I heard today that the truth and sentenceing law was passed today and would take affect sometime in Jan 06 .Is there ant true in this and will it be for obitualer Offenders .( I know thats not spell right it means 3 times felony offenders) I hoping and praying its the true and it will help Obitualers . My sons is a obitualer offender but none of them were violent only one he threated a guy but didnt hurt him.

LeeS269
12-13-2005, 11:37 PM
That's true IF they are getting out... But anyone with S E X even hinted at in their crime automatically gets flipped... only 16% get out on ERD despite research that says they do better with short prison followed by long term counseling.

I just want Joe back yesterday and completely safe and sane. I'm willing to do what it takes to make that happen for us... and for all of us.

dmpdbd
12-14-2005, 06:56 AM
IT IS ALL RUMOR. The bills are still in the judiciary committee and haven't even made it on the agenda. Maybe it is time for another round of letters asking when they might be put on the agenda to be discussed by the whole committee and voted on.

mrsdragoness
12-14-2005, 06:58 AM
IT IS ALL RUMOR. The bills are still in the judiciary committee and haven't even made it on the agenda. Maybe it is time for another round of letters asking when they might be put on the agenda to be discussed by the whole committee and voted on.

I agree...

LeeS269
12-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Now is a good time as they are back in session briefly .... I think right now!

So Fax and Call them.

If you can't fax them then email your letter to me and give me your person's fax number and I'll fax it over for you! email removed by moderator, please see PTO Rules/Policies... PM this member with the information requested!

dmpdbd
12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
So what do you say gals - shall we hit them again with letters and ask when it will be on the committee agenda for discussion and vote? :thumbsup:

whisper248
12-15-2005, 05:26 AM
I say flood there mail!!

LeeS269
12-15-2005, 09:04 AM
They are only in session for a few days and then it's off to celebrate until after the new year.

I say Fax or call. If you can't fax... email me your later and I'll fax it for you. Email removed per PTO pilicy. Please PM member w/ info

dmpdbd
12-15-2005, 03:47 PM
In retrospect, perhaps it is wisest to wait until after the holiday break and hit them fresh in 2006 to put it on the agenda. They certainly aren't going to do anything between now and then anyway.

jflorez757
01-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi, my name is Jackie. I'm new to this site. I have a brother in St. Louis Correctional Facility. I'd like to say that it's great to see so many people working together for this cause. I have just left a message on Jamie DuShane's voicemail regarding 5129-5130. This weekend I will be sending out letters to all the representatives and will have some of my friends do the same. I may not live in Michigan, but here in New York City, we work hard to get things done and stand up for what we believe in.

Tuberose
01-07-2006, 08:52 AM
One serious obstacle I see is the Chairman of the Judiciary, VanReganmorter. When the publisher of my local gazette questioned him about the temporary lower legal alcohol limit he was very hard nosed about it. He said that the 10 year sunset clause was the only way he could get it passed but he plans to try and keep it there, regardless of what the majority wants or the statistics show. His response to one of my letters was basically, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks this is my opinion and this is the way it will be. He doesn't seem to care what the public opinion is. Since he is the Chair he has a lot of power and I wonder if he could make sure single handedly that a bill dies with his committee.

dmpdbd
01-07-2006, 09:34 AM
That is exactly what I am afraid of - VanReganmorter can bury anything on his desk and keep it from getting on the agenda. AquiarianEssence, can you share (copy if necessary) exactly what his response to you was - P.M. me if you like. I am also interested in what others have had in the way of responses.

mrsdragoness
01-07-2006, 09:50 AM
What amazes me is that the prisoners are getting the wrong information as well. I overheard someone in the VR yesterday talking about the upcoming vote... I hate bursting their bubbles, but since Mr. knows the guy, he said he'd let him know its NOT up for vote in Feb! I don't understand WHERE this information is coming from!

dmpdbd
01-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I know what you mean Mrs. D. The last rumor my guy told me about was that the governor was going to sign the bill on January 21st and it would come to light in her State of the State address a few days later and everything, in the meantime, was being kept very hush, hush. Supposedly the source of this one was a guy who has a brother who lives on Mackinaw Island and is "in the know".

StacysWar030
01-07-2006, 10:26 AM
What amazes me is that the prisoners are getting the wrong information as well.This is a daily discussion at Pugsley as well. My husband keeps asking if I know anything. I have to keep letting him down and letting him know, NOTHING has moved.

This VanReganmorter is absolutely against this bill. ANd you're right he could care less what the public thinks. His JOB however is to take what the public says into consideration. It's OUR tax money that pays for his salary & the crap he continues to keep put on the agenda. It's obvious he could care less about our children's future, our healthcare or Michigan's future for that matter.

When's the next vote? He screws Michigan up naymore you can BET your bottom dollar a launch to remove him will be necessary! His opinion isn't fact. Nor has ANYTHING he's implemented helped Michigan. He's the VERY cause of why we're in this finacial mess to begin with. TIS should have NEVER passed for ALL prisoners. Should have NEVER even been thought of. He's not the only person trying to survive in this state. His "opinion" needs to take a back seat. REALITY & COMMON SENSE needs to take the front seat now.

Stacy

waata99
01-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree 100%. I am ashamed to admit that that idiot VanRegenmorter is from my area in Ottawa Co., we would love to get rid of this Quaker.

braziliangirl32
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
My baby just called me. he was all happy because somebody told him the law was passed. Oh God! is this another rumor? He said everybody was happy and talking about that. He said it will take effect in march.

mrsdragoness
01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Its another rumor.....

LeeS269
01-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Then let's leave VanRegenheartless out of the loop... Hit everyone else with mail and let them pressure him.

We should also send a letter to the Governors office of Constiuent Services... If we are going to get ignored we should demand to be ignored all the way to the top!!!!!

Loving Miles
01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Its another rumor.....

I think its the guards that get these guys all messed up.. Of course its a rumor...Its not even on the agenda yet. Marquette has been passing the same stuff and it breaks my heart everytime I speak to my husband he asks is it true?

dmpdbd
01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Lees269 - I like your thinking. From what I see, we might as well let the Governor know that we want this on the agenda and that we are basically being told to "go to he**" because VanRegenmorter has buried it on his desk and personally vetoed it without a hearing. I have addressed my letters to all the members of the judiciary committee, but it's like a "don't buck the boss (chairman)" attitude as I preceive it. If you have reviewed the committee's approval rate of bills over the past year, you will note that about the only bills to ever make it on the agenda and out of committee are those that increase the incarceration rate or benefit the MDOC.

Who else is game to start writing the Governor?

mrsdragoness
01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
I have already addresssed this with Granholm.. but I think its time to get her attention. How about if we set a date and everyone mail their letters the same day... that way within a 4-5 day span there will be lots of letters with the same request.

KMJoyner
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Name the date :)

DENIMBLUE
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
...I also have wrote many people but I will write again but I do not have time to write a letter so if someone has one I can use and I will sign my own name...I will send to Jenny...sorry I don't have time but I want to send something! Anyone willing to share a letter with me...? PM me! Thanks...

jflorez757
01-10-2006, 05:59 AM
I'm game too. Name the date and I'll send out the letters too. It's disgusting how our loved ones are being fooled. Their being told this lie so as to get them to behave and not cause any problems. That's the whole purpose of it. Make them think that their behavior is being accounted for. It's disgusting. I agree we should all send out letters on the same day. Bombard these people with as much mail as possible. Will we bombard the committee and the governor? I say we should!:angry:

whisper248
01-10-2006, 06:02 AM
let me know the date, i will start working on a letter today. could someone just give us a bulleted list of the things we need to include in the letter so that it looks professional, that would help me, that way i know i am getting the point acrossed.

jflorez757
01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I suggest we all send it by email and fax. That way, they all come in on the same day. Also, I believe we should also send a letter to our congressman/woman as I believe this year are congressional elections.

wirulookin
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
ok, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do... I'm fairly new to the judicial system from this point of view... My fiance is in for Larceny from a Person and we would like to both know more about the "good time bill" if you could please help us or at least guide me in the right direction... I need my baby home with me... thank you

LeeS269
01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
We should email them on the same day... just go to the website and there is a form to fill out. You can cut and paste.

Can someone come up with a list of points or discussion topics?

Then we need to set a future date and all get ready for it.

waata99
01-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Let's hit her with a barrage she can't ignore.

StacysWar030
01-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Emailng from the MDOC website won't get to Jennifer Granholm. THere are people who answer those requests and none get to where they really need to be. Not that emailing isn't great as well, we just need to also send letters, & faxes.

So let's set a date??? How about The week after Valentines. That way everyone can get their letters together & addresses they need.

Ideas/thoughts?

Stacy

LeeS269
01-22-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-35316---,00.html

If you select Citizen Assistance this goes to the governors office. That's as close as you can get and it ensures they all arrive the same day.

We should email them after 5pm that way we have all night to get them there and they will be hit when they walk in.

The site is down at the moment I put this here... but it will be up again Monday.

Emailing the MDOC is like giving away secrets to the enemy.

Icemisstress
01-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the Judiciary Committee web page. The committee's regularly scheduled meeting time is Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. in room 308 of the House Office Building in Lansing. I welcome citizens to contact me or other committee members regarding bills or proposals our committee is addressing. Individuals needing special accommodations to participate in a committee meeting may contact my office to request the necessary assistance.

Maybe I am off base for posting this, but, I found this quote on the Michigan Judiciary Committee website. Maybe if everyone coordinates a letter writing campaign say on Tuesday evening and fax and e-mail to the members of the committee or maybe a few people make the trip to Lansing to meet with the committee, then maybe they will consider moving this bill to the top of the list. And they wonder why the prison's and county jails are so over crowed.

DJB's Wife
01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
David told me today that he overheard one of the CO's at Lehman telling other inmates that the bill was signed and would be enacted in the next month. It pisses me off that a CO would add to the rumor mill giving these guys false hope.

StacysWar030
01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, it pisses me off too. Somehow I wish we could stop that. But unfortunatley this goes on EVERYWHERE. All we can do is tell our loved ones & let them pass it on. But that doesn't always work either. For isntance, my husband was setting the record straight and some guy went on to believe the person he heard it from anyway. These guys just want anything to hope for. Even if it just a mindless rumor :(

I wish I could go to Lansing. It would be great for a bunc of us to show up on the next gathering & express our approval of this bill. Not just for our loved ones, but for our FUTURE loved ones. This isn't just about our guys coming home sooner. This is about the future of our children. Makes no sens to continue to take away from education just so some guy locked up for something petty can stay 2 yrs longer. MAKES NO SENSE!

Stacy

queenwdg
01-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, it pisses me off too. Somehow I wish we could stop that. But unfortunatley this goes on EVERYWHERE. All we can do is tell our loved ones & let them pass it on. But that doesn't always work either. For isntance, my husband was setting the record straight and some guy went on to believe the person he heard it from anyway. These guys just want anything to hope for. Even if it just a mindless rumor :(

I wish I could go to Lansing. It would be great for a bunc of us to show up on the next gathering & express our approval of this bill. Not just for our loved ones, but for our FUTURE loved ones. This isn't just about our guys coming home sooner. This is about the future of our children. Makes no sens to continue to take away from education just so some guy locked up for something petty can stay 2 yrs longer. MAKES NO SENSE!

Stacy

I totally agree w/ everything you ladies have said. I think after Valentines day is a good time. Has a date been set yet, and a decision as to HOW to send the correspondence. I think the emailing after 5pm suggestion was good, I also like the Faxing idea. If we do the fax, we need to set up a time schedule. I know in MY office there is a COMMUNITY FAX, and i if we all fax at the same time then more than likely most of us will get a busy signal. I don't want my fax to be rejected a copy prints out w/ all of my information on it (everybody doesn't need to know my business), so we should set up faxing blocks of time. Maybe a group of 10 fax from 10am to 10:30, then from 10:30-11. Just a suggestion. If this doesn't make sense to anybody, let me know:) . But I definitely think a MASS fax AND email would surely get their attention.

queenwdg
01-26-2006, 11:45 PM

Stacy

Hey Stacey,

I would LOVE to go to Lansing. I would be in favor of atrip up there beng organized. Going to lansing would be awesome. I have loads of vacation time at work. While i know everybody can't afford to take the time off, those that could not go could send letters of support. I am all for sigining up:) :) :) .

jflorez757
01-27-2006, 05:59 AM
I agree with the email and the faxing. I have a fax at home and can fax out the letters any time. Just name the date. Also the emails can easily be discarded without opening. A fax they would need to look at before it gets dumped--which I don't doubt they do.

LeeS269
01-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Then let's fax AND email!

Most faxes can be set to go at a later time. Those of you using an office fax could tell it to be sent after 5pm... This would circumvent the other people trying to fax and would let them walk in to a huge pile!!!

ROAD TRIP!!!! Anyone live in Lansing that could coordinate where to meet etc...?

Let's start gathering the names of the COs that lie to the inmates! Bitching does help... My guy was put into 24/7 lock down isolation due to a simple infection they chose to ignore (it then became resistant to some antibiotics). I didn't complain about the isolation until the wounds healed and he finished the medication and then the doctor couldn't be bothered to come over so she said to keep him locked over the weekend... and then she didn't come in the next Monday. I contacted the Governor's office, my senator's office and the Warden's office. The director of medicine for the entire Jackson area came over and released him from lock down that day!!!!

LeeS269
01-27-2006, 06:34 AM
Maybe we should also collect the letters to hand deliver when we go to Lansing.

Icemisstress
01-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Lee, I would be willing to make the trip to Lansing. I think that this needs to be brought to the front line of the judiciary committee and off of the desk of the person who changed the TIS in the first place. I have been told that the squeaky wheel always gets the grease so LETS MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

vonsay
01-29-2006, 02:00 AM
I was wondering if it would do any good for me to write because I dont live in Michigan? My fiance is in Deerfield which is in Ionia.

LeeS269
01-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Do you have any relatives in Michigan? You could borrow their address!

vonsay
01-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I never thought to do that! He has 2 brothers in Michigan so I can go that route.
Thanks!

LeeS269
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Welcome to Michigan!

jp2
01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey let me know what i need to do and i will do it.. I would be willing to go to Lansing just give me the date and the time and i will be there... Also let me know what the main points and the letters should be and i will also do that... Hopefully we can all bond together to get one well deserved law back in place.

thrmrg
01-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I have placed the calls mailed the letters e-mailed and All of thes state reps seem to have one agenda!!!! To keep our loved one's down. My Grandmother taught me from a very young age "THOSE WHO LIVE IN THE PAST ARE DOOMED TO HAVE NO FUTURE" and that is what they are trying to prevent prisoners from having a future. Bringing back good time will only show our prisoners that WE still believe in them TSI takes away from their future and reminds them (the prisoners) that they have no chance to ever make amends or be forgiven. EVERY HUMAN IS CAPABLE OF CRIME IF PUT IN THE PROPER SITUATION. So now we should all be condemned to never have a second chance."I DON'T THINK SO"!!!!!!!!

dmpdbd
01-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Isn't is "amazing" how the state reps can ignore you and treat you as though you don't exist - just like they do our loved ones in prison. :faint:

thrmrg
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
I would love to see what they would do if they were the loved one who was just trying to do what is right. even better yet if they were one of the inmates who the state reps only refeer to as a number,

LeeS269
01-31-2006, 05:30 PM
We should quote this and throw it back in her face! I guess we and our loved ones are not considered part of "all" in Michigan.

LANSING – Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today issued the following statement on Coretta Scott King who has passed away at the age of 78:

“Coretta Scott King was a woman of incomparable grace who dedicated her life as her husband did – to civil rights, human rights, international peace, and economic justice. She made certain, perhaps more than any other single person, that Dr. King’s dream will never die. To honor her legacy – a legacy highlighted by a national holiday honoring the January 15 birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., – we must pledge to foster unity and diversity in every walk of life to ensure a society that values opportunity for all.”

thrmrg
02-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, I agree and have already gone to her web site and let her know That She should not make statements like this to the public unless she plans to back up what she say's and I continued by asking her if her comment saying "WE MUST PLEDGE TO FOSTER UNITY AND DIVERSITY IN EVERY WALK OF LIFE TO ENSURE A SOCIETY THAT VALUES OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL." Does this pledge for "ALL" include our love ones who are incarcerated or Does this pledge for "ALL" only include people like "HER". If her office responds I will copy and past for "ALL" (our version of who "ALL"is)to read.

LeeS269
02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Don't attack the Governor too much. She can't make or change laws... or even force a vote. But she can put some pressure here and there and make statements etc...

Everything I've heard is that she is on our side. She is fed up with the parole board acting like judge a jury and basing parole on their past convictions instead of their behavior in jail and their rehab etc.. She is rumored to be issuing an executive order to grant parole unless they clearly show a harm to society. I've not seen anything come through yet.

We need to personify prisoners. It's very easy to vote against faceless, nameless prisoners. It's difficult to ignore real people with names, faces and families that need them. I encourge everyone to taylor your letters to your prisoner and include happy photos of them... especially familiy photos. Let's make them realize they are impacting a lot of Michiganders lives... and some of these lives are still allowed to vote.

I would be willing to gather pictures and stories from everyone to create a huge package to be hand delivered to anyone that matters. The rules don't allow me to post my email address so send me a personal message for info.

LeeS269
02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
How about using the international day of Love to get our message across?

We could all send our letters by fax or email to everyone after 6pm on Feb 13th so they walk into a huge pile o' letters on Valentine's day.

We could then gather in Lansing and hand deliver the package of names, faces and stories on Valentines day. (I'd love to be able to afford boxes of chocolates..... and some exlax)

LeeS269
02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Here's the law I mentioned. I thought it was an executive order from the Governor but our friend Kolb introduced it as a bill last September.

House (www.legislature.mi.gov/(rpomr5f0okkunb55dlivgj45)/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2005-HB-5224&queryid=12584614) bill 5224 of 2005

dmpdbd
02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
House Bill 5224 is one of the bills I mentioned in my letters when I wrote about 5129, 5130 and 5131. This is the second time this same bill for no misconduct-mandatory paroles has been introduced - the first one died on VanRegenmorter's desk like most good things do.

An obervation on the no misconduct requirement is that sometimes no matter how hard a guy tries to stay out of trouble, some CO's can and do write tickets for some strange rediculous reasons. Just recently my guy got an out of place ticket for being late to his call out for a kite he put in for the library......do you know why he was late....because he was helping another CO do something. He was so upset and I can't blame him. He missed a leisure time activity and got ticketed for it when he was trying to do something nice. Such is life in the MDOC.

LeeS269
02-01-2006, 04:42 PM
It does say no MAJOR misconduct... but you are right.. they give them out like candy whenever they feel like it. I would fight his misconduct ticket and get the CO he was helping to help him. (Ha.. like that will happen)

LeeS269
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
The news just announced that someone introduced a bill to reintroduce conjugal visits in Michigan!

How about just sending them home on ERD and we'll handle the conjugals?????

jp2
02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I emailed Kathleen Gray who wrote the article in the Detroit Free Press about conjugal visits too see if she would help us out and write an article about how much good time would help familes. Lemmons stated that "allowing visits would help keep familes intact" well it would help even more if they would let them come home early to their familes.

dmpdbd
02-01-2006, 05:26 PM
They do consider being out of place a "major" misconduct - no matter what the reason.
The "judicial" authority conducting the hearing on the ticket was very sympathetic, but there wasn't much she could do under the circumstances. She did tell him not to worry about it too much though, but it sure shoots him down if they happen to pass bill 5224, which I doubt they will anyway. VanRegenmorter's desk has a hole in the middle and anything he doesn't like goes straight through it into the circular file under his desk.

whisper248
02-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Just wanted to share this information with everyone. On my visit today, I talked with a women in the waiting room that is a FAMM Member, she told me that FAMM Representatives will be in Lansing on Feb. 14th to meet with all the Reps in regards to some bills on the agenda, and the big one is the TIS bills, so the idea of all the PTO members doing a huge mailing on that day will be hitting it right on target, because flooding their Fax and Email, especially Fax is a great idea, let our voices be heard! And maybe it can make a difference.

StormyNites
02-04-2006, 07:43 PM
please keep me informed of the date and time to send email or fax letters. I'm IN!!

LeeS269
02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Ok .... then it's set.

Fax or email letters to everyone after 6pm on February 13th. Include pictures and personal details about the good in your prisoner. Explain the difficulties your family has experienced etc.... Let's give this problem a face and a human behind every number and make it hard for them to ignore.

Now... who is willing to go to Lansing on the 14th? Maybe we can work with FAMM.... what is FAMM?

Can someone make a list of points we should all touch on in our letters and all of the bills?

It's time to snap out of our apathy and "Kick the darkness until it bleeds light!" We will not shrink away and just hope things happen... we will take charge and demand what is right.

Does anyone live in Lansing that can figure out a good place for us to meet?

If everyone would send me your letters / pictures via personal message I would love to have a huge pile of them to hand deliver!

LeeS269
02-04-2006, 08:59 PM
A cafe or coffeehouse near the statehouse would be ideal to handle the multiple arrival times!

dmpdbd
02-05-2006, 01:29 AM
A check of the website of FAMM (Family Against Manditory Minimums, as in drug sentences) does not appear to have on its agenda the TIS bills. Their "meeting" does not seem to pinpoint the House Judiciary Committee. What impact it will have on the hardheaded chairman of that committee is unknown and remote. Our Reps can propose any bills they want, but if they get buried in committee, it just doesn't do any good. Do I sound negative these days, maybe it is because I am. Anyway, let's follow through on the 14th as suggested and if you are interested, here is the link to the FAMM website about their intent.

http://www.famm.org/si_sent_by_state_michigan.htm

DJB's Wife
02-25-2006, 05:53 AM
State Representative, Matt Gillard - of the 106th District, responded to a letter supporting these bills stating that without a co-sponsor he doubts that these bills will ever be given a committee hearing.

Loving Miles
02-25-2006, 12:31 PM
What does that mean? Co-sponsor? Will we ever make head way with this crap? It's so frustrating. I found out today that my husband should of started AOP on 2/7/06, BUT they fired the physic who was suppose to start the class....He was told that the inmates will still get credit for the las t3 weeks BUt they wont actually start the class till the end of March. Supposebly their (inmates) are still gonna get credit for all these weeks. Boy it sure is refreshing to find out that the tax payers $'s are used so well. Of course i'm being a smart A--....Please keep me posted :angry:

dmpdbd
02-25-2006, 05:23 PM
DJB's Wife: Why don't you suggest to Matt Gillard that he stand up and be counted and offer to be a co-sponser....it can't be too difficult....that is, unless he really doesn't care about the bills and is just playing the political game.

DJB's Wife
02-26-2006, 04:59 PM
DJB's Wife: Why don't you suggest to Matt Gillard that he stand up and be counted and offer to be a co-sponser....it can't be too difficult....that is, unless he really doesn't care about the bills and is just playing the political game.

The letter seemed pretty generic and he probably is playing the policitical game. I had the same thought as you. I plan to ask and I plan to ask those from my district to co-sponsor.

StormyNites
03-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Does any one kknow where we are now with the bill, what more can be done**sigh**

DJB's Wife
03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
There has been no progress with the bill.

chelles35
03-15-2006, 02:21 PM
i just got a letter from my man ans for some reason he thinks the bill was signed by the govenor on march 1st? any new news??

dmpdbd
03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh, the rumors still fly. No action - nada. The bills most likely went into VanRegenmorter's circular file - if not they are buried so deep on his desk even his successor, after he retires at the end of the year, will never find them.

SisterLou
03-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I was told by my friends mom that they did pass the law and they should be letting non violent offenders out in like 30-60 days or something. But I don't know for sure.....does anyone?

braziliangirl32
03-24-2006, 07:43 PM
nope. they didnt pass it. if u go to this link you can check it out.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(cke3l5us4g0qa0fxrzqgzerr)/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2005-HB-5130

StormyNites
03-24-2006, 08:26 PM
My husband told me a guy that he's friends with told him, that his mother said, that the law will be in affect in spring of 07, She is ""supposedly a BIG WIG in Lansing, I told him well it's still on the table, I don't know about alla that !!

LeeS269
03-25-2006, 06:41 AM
What we have to realize is that to a politician prisoners are less than nothing. To them they are a liability unless they are signing a law to appear tougher on them. You know the general public believes that prisoners are not our partners, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors... some of them think they are alien from the planet immoralty. This is what we have to fight.

We have to make this into something that will benefit the "honest" citizens of Michigan or it will go nowhere. We have to make this a human interest item and not a prisoner interest item. Fighting the publics perception of what a prisoner is is the toughest battle we have before us.

So in your letters try not to use the word prisoner instead talk about your loved one that is currently in such and such facility. Talk about the wonderful progress they've made and how much it will help your life to get them back and that it will also help tax payers and an overcrowded system to get them out when they behave and do well. Make this extremely personal... Make them cry (well... if they had a heart)

Does this make sense? "Prisoner" has an awful stigma to it but "my husband" does not. We can call it our "Make 'em cry" campaign. It's about time someone else cried over this... we have for long enough.

Suddenly I feel like General Patton...but... go out there troops and "Make 'em cry".

jrljane
03-25-2006, 03:30 PM
my husbands in charles egeler reception center he heard grandholm is voting next month on tis and on a teather program for 50,000 inmates. Has anyone heard anything about this? or is this another rumor to keep the inmates in line?

dmpdbd
03-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Ladies: I just recently got a letter from Cushingberry, the sponsor of the package of TIS bills, and he says that VanRegenmorter absolutely refuses to put TIS on the agenda even for discussion. As far as I can tell, we are on hold until at least we get rid of VanRegenmorter the end of the year.

ISMITHO4 - Please note there is already a thread under this subforum for conjugal visits and you should post your comments on that subject there.

HOPE4FUTURE
03-25-2006, 07:31 PM
i can't believe that one person holds that much power! can't they have a vote on if it can be discussed or something? that guys a stubborn fart just like Bush.

mrsdragoness
03-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Granholm does not have the power to change TIS.. it MUST be done via our legislators.

Daves Mom
10-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Are they any way that we can get petions ,to get this bill passed. or get it put on a ballot for the public to vote on this. I know a lot of people that would vote for this if it was put on a ballot for us to vote on. Daves MOM

HOPE4FUTURE
10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I just sent Rep George Cushingberry an email asking him to put this bill back on the table. Maybe if everyone sent him one he would do something again. The economy says it is definitely time!

myfirst
10-04-2008, 11:19 PM
What is his email address?

HOPE4FUTURE
10-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Just google his name and hit the contact and his email will come up.

myfirst
10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Duuhh =)!! Thanks for the info, just sent him a rather extensive email. Couldn't hurt.

wills12
10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I have contacted the Michigan House and Seante on this and the bill is DEAD !!! This thing keeps cropping up... It was placed into Comittee long ago which I was informed is there way to bury / kill it without taking the steps to actually do it....

This is false hope people. This was floating around the prison system when I was in back in 2003 and before I got out in 2007 its allways said to be signed waiting for the Govenor, or its passed waiting for signature......

I was inside trust me false hope sucks. I thought this was my way out when it really wasnt. So there ya go the info is for you to do what ya will with... But the bills are dead. A shame as the system is so over crowded and clogged and so many men and women are denied parole for really nothing. I got a flop and the reason I was given was...

Record to good, manipulating the system
and
Failed to understand his crime....

Go figer I have been out 17 months now, have a great job, settled down, no problems.

HOPE4FUTURE
10-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree it may never leave their desk but it';s still worth a try. With the economy like it is they might have to do something someday.

tballa
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I just wonder how long legislators are going to sit around while more and more are added to the system, yet less and less are released. How many can be squeezed in together? and to what cost?

myfirst
10-09-2008, 06:07 PM
TIS is totally ridiculous. I believe that "the powers that be" are hoping that we forget about these HB. That is why I sent an email, because it could not hurt. These bills are definitely important to one too many people. If we would all stand unite and firm, I believe they could pass. Since, the HB have been sitting idle for awhile, many people have lost hope. I for one have not, I will continue to call, write, petition.....whatever needed. Michigan economy is in the dumps. We could use the money used to house prisoners towards are deficit or put in much more needed areas such as the public school system. Wayne-Westland Teachers are striking for wage increases and Detroit Public Schools are on the verge of being shut-down. These are just examples of where money could be used.

HOPE4FUTURE
10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
my first, I agree! We need to unite!!! We need to educate the public about the prison system and how much of their money is being spent foolishly. We do not need TIS AND a Parole Board. We do not need to warehouse inmates past their ERD. MI's only jobs right now are in Corrections.

LostTime
10-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I also sent another email and have not heard back anything about this
yet.
Hope to though
I and I was a writing fool LOL writing anyone and everyone in the
house telling them that we need to put pressure on to have this
bill brought up for a vote and it's time to put the power back
into the hands of the Michigan people and let them know
exactly what's going on

myfirst
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Lost Time, I agree whole heartily. I too, write everyone and anyone possible regarding these important HB. My motto is that a letter never hurts. I have yet to send a respond, I believe I am on my third letter. I will kindly write a fourth letter, mentioning my times of sending a letter and still no response.

wills12
10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
The problem here is two things...

1. The TIS Law
2. The Parole board being given so much power

If TIS was followed as it was intended then it would be a great law, you do your Minimum, and as long as you keep your nose clean you come home. Even with that law enacted and being misused as it is... the Parole board is the real problem.

If they make a bad decision there is NO mechanism to argue it, they are exempt by michigan law from Civil Suit, and you cannot even file a motion for reconsideration. The Parole board is a independant body made up of ex police and prosecutors mostly...

You tell me how an inmate will get a fair shot with that...

SUCH SIMPLE math..... Prison os not overcrowded with new inmates, they are jammed due to all of the men and women who got flops... Take a real look at who poeple are MAD at vs who people are SCARED of.....

Thats the key

HOPE4FUTURE
10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
They need to get rid of the parole board. If I remember right MI is the only state that has PB and TIS. Go figure!

tballa
10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
The problem here is two things...

1. The TIS Law
2. The Parole board being given so much power

If TIS was followed as it was intended then it would be a great law, you do your Minimum, and as long as you keep your nose clean you come home. Even with that law enacted and being misused as it is... the Parole board is the real problem.

If they make a bad decision there is NO mechanism to argue it, they are exempt by michigan law from Civil Suit, and you cannot even file a motion for reconsideration. The Parole board is a independant body made up of ex police and prosecutors mostly...

You tell me how an inmate will get a fair shot with that...

SUCH SIMPLE math..... Prison os not overcrowded with new inmates, they are jammed due to all of the men and women who got flops... Take a real look at who poeple are MAD at vs who people are SCARED of.....

Thats the key

So true!!!!!!!!
I met with our lawyer yesterday (he's representing my fiance's brother) and he was shocked that my fiance wasn't home yet and had received a 12 month flop. Out of his mouth came "there's not much you can do, the parole board is their own entity".

HOPE4FUTURE
10-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Maybe now is the best time to be emailing and calling everybody because I heard the FEDS are in the prisons. I don't know what they are doing. It can't hurt! Let them know how we feel, girls! It only takes a little bit of your time for a very good cause!

myfirst
10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Your right, I am on it. Sending emails, letters and telegrams too :)!!!

wills12
10-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Ladies, I hope no one takes offense to this but I am going to be blunt here.

These house bills are DEAD ! When something is placed for "commitee" the English translation is that it WILL NOT be revisited. Period.

Writing emails and letters do nothing. The trick about this is understanding the MDOC. The MDOC hates the press they are and allways have been so so paranoid of the press....

Dont write to the Parole Board, the Legislature, the MDOC..... Write to the press. An idea among you wonderful wives, fiances, and girlfriends...

Among you... Do this.

Place in manilla envelopes the following, and send them to the 8 largest news papers in the State. And also send copies to TV stations......

Your loved ones name
What they are in for.
There accomplishments while in.. Schooling, 363 scores, jobs they heald
Who on the board they saw
What YOU and their family would do for them upon release, ie: money, car, ride, getting them set up etc...
Their PER report and score

Then send them a copy of their flop in it..

Then in that same pack, ask the reporter why someone who met their requirements would ever be denied...

The first 4 letter letters of pressure are PRESS remember that...

or another idea, but this one takes some balls and coordination..

Go enmass to the legislature when they meet, show up 30, 40, 50 strong.... with your information, before going call the lansing State Journal, Channel 41, 47, 8, 10, 6, and 3 news and tell them many loved ones are showing up on this day and are going to confront those that are capable of changing the laws...

You want coverage YOU WILL GET IT.

And trust me the MDOC and the Parole board will be asked many hard questions.

wills12
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
More info.

If you go there enmass then you will get to in a very public way tell your loved ones story, no more MDOC one sided versions, reports of criminals by the MDOC....

A human face gets attached to these men and women, and that is how laws get changed... Plus the Politicians who can change these laws wont be able to ignore this, as the press will be on them....

Remember a politician doesnt see your emails and letters, there assistants do... HOWEVER... they do see the press, and many angry pissed off moms, wives, daughters, sons, fathers, friends, loved ones outside the capitol with INFORMATION AND FACTS in hand... speak louder than ANYTHING you can send in the mail to them.

Also ex inmates who got flops need to become involed, I would show up...

myfirst
10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Willis12 - thanks for your helpful information. I guess the Press would be a great tool in hopes to getting our requests answered. From the seems like thousands letters sent, I have yet to receive a response. Guess I have to move forward. I will keep everyone posted.

froggy211564g
11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Mine hasn't met his min but you tell me when/where, what, who and I am in. I dont know what to do as I am new to this kinda.

froggy211564g
12-26-2008, 10:51 AM
If we are going to go to the capitol enmass with the press we need to get oginized to go soon before feb 17th. who wants to go?

LostTime
12-29-2008, 04:29 AM
I will go even though my man is not close to release yet but i'll stand
for all of yours that have been flopped

bluberry1020
12-29-2008, 05:22 AM
If you are planning a rally at the Capitol remember to have all your ducks in a row. Get it reserved, Get it advertised and be prepared to pay $10.00 for parking. LOL I kid you not. Get ahold of every kind of MEDIA out there. Radio, TV, Newpapers, Magazines, Newletters. All the agencies involved with inmates and released inmates.

Mrs.Cuellar
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
I called the office of George Cushinberry Jr first thing this morning to ask if they are planning on reinterducing the hb 4262-4263 it is a start of a new year for it and I want to do all that I can do to help in every area so let me know what you ladies need me to do and you can count me in.

dianna1975
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
I called the office of George Cushinberry Jr first thing this morning to ask if they are planning on reinterducing the hb 4262-4263 it is a start of a new year for it and I want to do all that I can do to help in every area so let me know what you ladies need me to do and you can count me in.

Did you get any answer from Cushinberry's office?

myfirst
01-06-2009, 05:47 AM
I have written letters to everyone within the Judiciary Committee regarding the Bill. I wrote letters to all in the beginning of January requesting that the HB be placed again for review. Here is a complete list of them all, copied from the first page of this thread:

William VanRegenmorter, Committee Chair
E-mail Address: wmvanreg@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-8697
N1093 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Tonya Schuitmaker, Majority Vice Chair
E-mail Address: tonyaschuitmaker@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5940
N1099 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Gary Newell
E-mail Address: repgarynewell@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-6979
N1191 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Mike Nofs
E-mail Address: mikenofs@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5761
N0996 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
John Stakoe
E-mail Address: johnstakoe@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5843
N0893 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Kevin Elsenheimer
E-mail Address: kevinelsenheimer@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-1841
S1389 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Rick Jones
E-mail Address: rickjones@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-6589
N1090 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

David Law
E-mail Address: davidlaw@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-8361
S0888 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Tory Rocca
E-mail Address: toryrocca@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5903
N0794 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Alexander Lipsey, Minority Vice Chair
E-mail Address: alexanderlipsey@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5762
N0994 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Paul Condino
E-mail Address: paulcondino@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5880
N0799 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Stephen Adamini
E-mail Address: stephenadamini@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-9366
S1488 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Bill McConico
E-mail Address: repbillmcconico@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-8929
S0589 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Steve Bieda
E-mail Address: stevebieda@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-5906
S0789 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Virgil Smith
E-mail Address: virgilsmith@house.mi.gov Fax: 517-373-6404
S0686 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

dianna1975
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I have written letters to everyone within the Judiciary Committee regarding the Bill. I wrote letters to all in the beginning of January requesting that the HB be placed again for review. Here is a complete list of them all, copied from the first page of this thread:

Thank you myfirst for posting everyones addy. I was also interested in sending out letters to hopefully get some of the bills back in the legislature for '09.

HOPE4FUTURE
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the first one on the list died.

Annette050305
01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
You may want to check the list because I know two of the individuals are termed limited so their last day was the 31st of December.

dmpdbd
01-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes indeed ladies, the addresses I posted 3 years ago in October 2005 are not all still valid. You can normally go to the link below to update the list or perhaps someone has the time to do it and post the newly updated members and addresses when they are available. The new members, which will undoubtedly include some prior ones, for 2009 have not yet been assigned.

http://house.michigan.gov/committeeinfo.asp?lstcommittees=judiciary

Katie2211
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the great information on this thread, this is something I pray for every day, isn't Michigan one of the only states not to have good time? I will get busy and write my letters, thanks!